Top 5 with Lisa Foiles: Top 5 Twisted Fairy Tale Games

Top 5 Twisted Fairy Tale Games

Lisa heads down the rabbit hole to check out some of the weirdest fairy tale games ever made.

Watch Video

This may be the first time I've ever heard someone call Fable one of their favorites. I liked it, but I've played far better games.

Last episode, Ms. Foiles mentioned wanting a new partner to replace Kevin.

This episode, there is no Kevin.

I think we all know this means serious business.

I bought Alice on a PSN sale over a year ago bu I never even downloaded it. I should do that this week.

I'm glad The Path didn't make the Top 5. Shit "game".

Fun Fact: Most Fairy Tails were actually originally pretty dark, it's only their modern interpretations that are the light hearted fables we're all familiar with.

I'm happy to of seen Wolf Among Us on your top 5 list. For a fairy tale based game, they nailed showing the dark of it as they all try living in our modern time. Especially when they're trying to blend in and live like people... only there's a killer on the loose.

Either way, I enjoyed this list. Every fairy tale's origins or original story is actually pretty dark overall. We tend to just make them seem happier or end better because of our kids. Otherwise you'd be surprised how jacked up stories like the Little Mermaid or Sleeping Beauty are.

Poor Kevin. He went to far asking for it to be renamed Top Five with Kevin and Lisa. Now he has been exiled to obscurity, never to be seen again, never to be heard meowing, no more Kevin. Is life even worth living anymore? A kevinless life is so dull, drab, meaningless. Bring back Kevin, return him to us.

Perhaps it should be a quest? The quest for the return of Kevin?

My cat Siren did not even sit on my keyboard for this episode!!

Johnny Novgorod:

May be a shit game but the concept beats any of the games on this top 5. I was pretty sure it would be #1 before I remembered Alice existed.

Blood Brain Barrier:

Johnny Novgorod:

May be a shit game but the concept beats any of the games on this top 5. I was pretty sure it would be #1 before I remembered Alice existed.

What's so amazing about the concept? If you stick to the path you're a good kid and that's it. Deviate and you get raped, because apparently that's part of the process of maturing. At least that's what I got from the, what should I call it, experience.

Great list. I expected Alice to be #1, but that's no complaint.

Yeah American McGee's Alice! It's definitely the first game I think of when it comes to dark renditions of fairy tales. What I like about this game is that instead of a re-imagining like most others, it's actually considered a sequel to the original story.

It's also one of the few twisted-fairy-tale-games that's actually creepy. I still get disturbed when I see what the Mad Hatter did to the March Hare and the Dormouse. It's also pretty hard as well. The Jabberwock on Nightmare difficulty? Nearly broke a controller.

canadamus_prime:
Fun Fact: Most Fairy Tails were actually originally pretty dark, it's only their modern interpretations that are the light hearted fables we're all familiar with.

I was going to write that aswell hehe, even those 'dark games' look like childs play in comparison to the older fairy tales/fables. The brothers Grimm had some...really messed up content in the tales they wrote.

Look, it's a good list and all, but Alice in Wonderland is not a fairy tale! It's a children's story written by a specific author. To be a fairy tale you have to come from an oral tradition. For that matter, the Hans Anderson stories (eg Emperor's New Clothes, Ugly Duckling etc) are not fairy tales either, but at least they're based on traditional fairy tale tropes, whereas Alice doesn't even have that)

Lilikins:
The brothers Grimm had some...really messed up content in the tales they wrote.

See - that's what I'm talking about. The Grimms didn't *write* those stories, they just wrote them *down* based on traditional folklore which they had researched.

Johnny Novgorod:

Blood Brain Barrier:

Johnny Novgorod:

What's so amazing about the concept? If you stick to the path you're a good kid and that's it. Deviate and you get raped, because apparently that's part of the process of maturing. At least that's what I got from the, what should I call it, experience.

What's so amazing about shooting and hitting things? At least The Path raises questions. I wonder if you really follow your "stick to the path and you're a good kid and that's it" in your own life. Nothing happens when you stick to the path - is that good? It's not particularly good for me, though it might be for our mothers. Is discovering things, even 'bad things', worth the risk to our safety? It's a boring game to play, i'll admit, but the concept is better than "shoot stuff and win because."

Another list and another 2 games I add to my list of games I need to try. It's getting a bit long. Can I win the lottery already so I have more time. Alas, I would try Alice, but I am not good at platformers. I prefer thinking strategy games.

There was a point and click adventure based on Hansel and Gretel called "Gretel and Hansel". It's really dark and pretty good.

Zombie Panic in Wonderland (wii) was pretty good. It's similar to Little Red Riding Hood Zombie BBQ, so I'm not surprised it wasn't included. It would be like putting the same game on there twice.

Wasn't there a Capcom fighting game with Red Riding Hood as a playable character? I remember her pulling a machine gun out of her picnic basket. How Lisa described #5 somehow brought me back to when the first Mortal Kombat game premiered, and I was 8 years old at the time.

JimB:
Last episode, Ms. Foiles mentioned wanting a new partner to replace Kevin.

This episode, there is no Kevin.

I think we all know this means serious business.

Oh! You mean THAT kind of partner. Yeah, I see now that Lisa's not single again. Never mind.

Alice at #1 isnt't surprising, but I for all its faults (which I personally didn't find all that annoying), I think Alice: Madness Returns trumps its predecessor in seriously fucked up stuff. I mean, it takes the art design and overall aesthetic of the first one and then adds one rather disturbing and horrible plot on top.

Blood Brain Barrier:

Johnny Novgorod:

Blood Brain Barrier:

What's so amazing about shooting and hitting things? At least The Path raises questions. I wonder if you really follow your "stick to the path and you're a good kid and that's it" in your own life. Nothing happens when you stick to the path - is that good? It's not particularly good for me, though it might be for our mothers. Is discovering things, even 'bad things', worth the risk to our safety? It's a boring game to play, i'll admit, but the concept is better than "shoot stuff and win because."

You put it better than it actually is, I think. To deviate or not to deviate, to risk but not to risk, to learn but not to learn, etc. All that sounds like a good premise. But when the risk invariably results in rape and there's no upside to it, what's the use?

1: Thanks for the top 5, I may check out "The Wolf Among us" now.
2: 0_0 Nice hair Lisa!

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here