Shut Up and Sit Down: Let's Play A Mega Game! - Saving the World from Alien Invasion

Let's Play A Mega Game! - Saving the World from Alien Invasion

Last weekend team SU&SD defended the world from aliens, had an international incident with the USA and almost dissolved the United Nations, all from the safety of a town hall in South London.

This experience came courtesy of the Megagame Makers, an English society of game designers who specialize in the supermassive. It was an astonishing day, and so of course we had to make this supermassive video in tribute (WARNING: it also contains megaswears, so keep megakids away).

Watch Video

This:

1) Is an incredible exercise in how citizen, that is, nonprofessional, game design is amazing and liberating - all tabletop gamers should feel empowered to do it.
2) Looks like a hell of a lot of fun.

That looks like a lot of fun. One of the most "fun" gaming sessions I've had was a game of Diplomacy. This looks like a macro version of that.

Yeah, the problem with diplomacy though is the poor sods who gets knocked out, in this you are a team so at least you have some emotional support :P

Why are Japan and Brazil players in this?
They don't have nukes.

That was really cool. I'd love to do something like that, but I think it would stress me out. Those aliens were jerks though.

bimon_1234567:
Why are Japan and Brazil players in this?
They don't have nukes.

Key word here is 'yet'. Campaign is set in the future!

So does the alien threat level change game to game? Because if you already know they are peaceful, why play again?

bdcjacko:
So does the alien threat level change game to game? Because if you already know they are peaceful, why play again?

Aliens are players too and the game seems to have no objective other than freeform roleplaying, so maybe it's different every time. And you could still roleplay a warmonger even if you knew that. I think it's best if you go completely dark into the game though.

Rtoip:

bdcjacko:

Aliens are players too and the game seems to have no objective other than freeform roleplaying, so maybe it's different every time. And you could still roleplay a warmonger even if you knew that. I think it's best if you go completely dark into the game though.

According to the podcast they just ran on SU&SD's website, the mega game is intended to only be played once. Quinns actually asked the designer what he planned on doing with this game, and he said that the game has run its course and he's on to making other mega games. He may bring it out in ten years with a totally different group of people. It's kinda sad, really.

Zarkov:

Rtoip:

bdcjacko:

According to the podcast they just ran on SU&SD's website, the mega game is intended to only be played once. Quinns actually asked the designer what he planned on doing with this game, and he said that the game has run its course and he's on to making other mega games. He may bring it out in ten years with a totally different group of people. It's kinda sad, really.

It weird because in the video they mentioned that they "threw the spanner in the works of people who played it already" (or something along those lines) by revealing aliens too soon. Maybe they meant other megagames or didn't know yet. That it's a one time event was going to be my second guess, still this kinda sucks. Something so awesome is gone.

Rtoip:

Zarkov:

Rtoip:

snip

It weird because in the video they mentioned that they "threw the spanner in the works of people who played it already" (or something along those lines) by revealing aliens too soon. Maybe they meant other megagames or didn't know yet. That it's a one time event was going to be my second guess, still this kinda sucks. Something so awesome is gone.

Well, it's not all bad! They continue to make crazy games, it's just that most of them are set in history instead of the future. Apparently Quinns is already making plans to participate in a World War 1 mega game. Pretty excited myself.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here