Hannibal Season 2 Recap: How Does a Monster Make a Friend?

Hannibal Season 2 Recap: How Does a Monster Make a Friend?

We look back on season 2 of Hannibal and look ahead to season 3.

Read Full Article

I LOVED the season 2 ending.

I knew it was going to be kind of bad for the 'heroes', but I didn't expect them to go ALL OUT.

I mean...
Broken back, cut throats, sliced bellies, and Hannibal going off to vacation with Skully.
XD

Caught me way by surprise as well. I thought Hannibal and Will would do serious (physical) damage to each other ("Red Dragon" mentions that Hannibal nearly kills Will during his capture), but definitely didn't expect it to go down like that. Really a phenomenal way to end the season.

The season 2 finale was one of the few television shows I'ver ever watched that I spent the whole time on the edge of my seat and good parts of it yelling "Oh my god!" at the screen. I've seen it compared in quality to Breaking Bad's "Ozymandias" episode, and yes, I would definitely agree with that comparison. I am so glad the series was renewed, and can't wait to see where it goes.

Quite honestly, until the last episode, I was a bit worried about if Mads could pull off the truly terrifying aspects of Hannibal Lecter - him after his "well-tailored person suit" is completely gone, the Hannibal we saw in the very first sight of him in The Silence of the Lambs. I was worried because he did the person-suit Hannibal so well, we never really saw what he was underneath it completely, just shades, and I was worried all he could do were shades of it. Emphasis on the word "was." Yeah, all those worries went up in a puff of smoke with "In the pantry."

Mads Mikkelsen's portrayal of Hannibal has become, for me, the definitive one. And I still can't believe this is on network TV.

Tanis:
I LOVED the season 2 ending.

I knew it was going to be kind of bad for the 'heroes', but I didn't expect them to go ALL OUT.

I mean...
Broken back, cut throats, sliced bellies, and Hannibal going off to vacation with Skully.
XD

Naaa, we don't know anything yet. None of the characters died on screen. My prediction is that starting season 3, everyone is going to be well again, with the exception of Abigail.

Here is my ranking of who is likely to croak or be serious handicaped beginning the next season, starting from most likely:

- Abigail (she really was just in this episode for shock value, no need to keep her around now that she has been fridged twice)

- Jack Crawford (Does Laurenche Fishburn have nothing better to play? The guy was in fucking Matrix!)

- Alana Bloom (she is pretty disposable and the series seems to like putting it's damsel in the fridge. Most likely she'll end up in a wheelchair)

- Will (He'll be fine. Obviously the hero can't be hurt too severely)

What an amazingly artistic show. Everything seems to be done so perfectly I just can't stop watching it.

My take on it is that Abigail doesn't have a shot in Hell of surviving. A cut throat is a cut throat. It's also artistic to have Hannibal end her life the way he saved it.

No idea on the others, I haven't read the books but from what I've seen they're pretty central. I would have been surprised to see Alana survive but I guess she's supposed to be there. But I think of her as entirely disposable.

Alan Bloom is pretty great in Red Dragon, but writing without the character would be fairly easy. That said, I would be surprised if they killed Alana, She's such a great foil for Will and Lecter's styles of addressing mental health.

I've been anxious about saying Hannibal is the best thing on TV right now (or in a while), but really only because I'm scared it will decline in quality because it's so good. And it keeps getting better.

Lightknight:

My take on it is that Abigail doesn't have a shot in Hell of surviving. A cut throat is a cut throat. It's also artistic to have Hannibal end her life the way he saved it.

To be fair, she has survived having her throat cut once already.

chikusho:

Lightknight:

It was a nicked throat, not a full on slit. You could get a slit throat inside a hospital operating room and your survival would still be in question.

However, as I said, it is a lot more poetic to have Hannibal finish the task he prevented earlier. That's the smoking gun.

yeah_so_no:
The season 2 finale was one of the few television shows I'ver ever watched that I spent the whole time on the edge of my seat and good parts of it yelling "Oh my god!" at the screen. I've seen it compared in quality to Breaking Bad's "Ozymandias" episode, and yes, I would definitely agree with that comparison. I am so glad the series was renewed, and can't wait to see where it goes.

Quite honestly, until the last episode, I was a bit worried about if Mads could pull off the truly terrifying aspects of Hannibal Lecter - him after his "well-tailored person suit" is completely gone, the Hannibal we saw in the very first sight of him in The Silence of the Lambs. I was worried because he did the person-suit Hannibal so well, we never really saw what he was underneath it completely, just shades, and I was worried all he could do were shades of it. Emphasis on the word "was." Yeah, all those worries went up in a puff of smoke with "In the pantry."

Mads Mikkelsen's portrayal of Hannibal has become, for me, the definitive one. And I still can't believe this is on network TV.

I've been re-reading all the Lecter books and I can't help but hear Mikkelsen's voice instead of Hopkins'. I think I prefer it that way. Mikkelsen's been incredibly impressive as Hannibal, even if it took me a while to warm up to him. I always had trouble buying Hopkins in the non-murderer aspects of the role, as in the movie "Hannibal" or the prologue portion of "Red Dragon" with Ed Norton.

It's tough to speculate about who'll make it into Season 3 because Bryan Fuller has made it sound as if just about anybody is fair game in this situation, and I think the show's writers are pretty willing to shake up the story as it goes further.

For my part, I think Graham's survival isn't in question because there's a lot more awful stuff in the future for him. Same with Crawford; he's too useful long-term for the show (Fuller has said he intends to make seasons four, five and six mirror the novels' timeline to some degree, but really, that could have changed).

I'd love to see Abigail survive because so much time was spent on her psychology that watching her deal with the aftermath of her time with Lecter could be really fascinating. So far we've only seen his influence really play out with Will, even though it's been hinted at with Bedelia, Miriam Lass, and now Abigail. There's plenty of good writing to apply to Abigail trying to deal with her trauma, and especially with her culpability in what happened to Alana.

And Alana -- it'd also be great to see her make it through because of the devastation inflicted on her as a character and what she might inflict on other characters. She was the only one thinking rationally in the entire season finale, and her attempt to save her friends cost her badly. How she goes forward, and how they deal with what happened to her, is super interesting.

So I guess I'd like to see everyone survive. What I love about the show is that I have absolutely no idea if anyone will.

Lightknight:

chikusho:

Lightknight:

It was a nicked throat, not a full on slit. You could get a slit throat inside a hospital operating room and your survival would still be in question.

However, as I said, it is a lot more poetic to have Hannibal finish the task he prevented earlier. That's the smoking gun.

Don't know man, looks slit to me:

But I guess it doesn't matter either way right now.

chikusho:

Lightknight:

chikusho:

Don't know man, looks slit to me:

But I guess it doesn't matter either way right now.

Having rewatched the Season 1 pilot just last night, it looks a lot like the cut her dad put on her that she lived through the first time, but not having someone in good enough shape to staunch the bleeding might make a serious difference.

I thought the Finale was one of the greatest episodes of television I've ever seen. Definitely up there with the best of Breaking Bad. The use of the clock in the soundtrack really ramped up the tension for me and I loved the serene, dream-like quality to the score when Will finally shows up at Hannibal's house. Also, when Hannibal finally exits the house and cleanses himself of that life in the rain, I found myself stricken by how beautiful the scene was.

Mads is a fantastic actor. The way he delivered: "I wanted to surprise you. And you... you wanted to surprise me", and (can't remember exact quote) "I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it", made me actually feel sorry for the guy. And this is right after he's butchered the main cast! As much as I enjoyed Hopkins in Silence of the Lambs, Mads' interpretation feels smarter, deeper, and somehow, just as menacing.

That's just the finale. The whole season was excellent. The beginning with Will behind bars and doing everything in his power to stop Hannibal was a lot of fun. The fake (although I think Will was starting to care about Hannibal in the end and will be forever changed by their "friendship") friendship/mentor-ship that developed between Hannibal and Will had some of the finest dialogue I've ever seen. Mason Verger was a blast to watch. I looked forward to every single thing he got to say. He was incredibly over the top but it somehow worked perfectly.

I already mentioned the sound design for the finale, but I think it was top notch throughout the entire season. It also was absolutely gorgeous to look at.

I really can't say enough about how much I loved this season. This has become my favourite show currently running on TV and if it keeps up with this kind of quality, it may even tie (or even surpass) Breaking Bad as my favourite show of all time.

Lightknight:

On the other hand, the show has gone out of it's way to have near-death experiences (Abigail Hobbs, Mason Verger, pretty much half the main cast in the finale) and her character never felt like its arch was completely finished.

But, yeah, probably one of my favorite episodes of television period.

Phil Hornshaw:
It's tough to speculate about who'll make it into Season 3 because Bryan Fuller has made it sound as if just about anybody is fair game in this situation, and I think the show's writers are pretty willing to shake up the story as it goes further.

For my part, I think Graham's survival isn't in question because there's a lot more awful stuff in the future for him. Same with Crawford; he's too useful long-term for the show (Fuller has said he intends to make seasons four, five and six mirror the novels' timeline to some degree, but really, that could have changed).

I'd love to see Abigail survive because so much time was spent on her psychology that watching her deal with the aftermath of her time with Lecter could be really fascinating. So far we've only seen his influence really play out with Will, even though it's been hinted at with Bedelia, Miriam Lass, and now Abigail. There's plenty of good writing to apply to Abigail trying to deal with her trauma, and especially with her culpability in what happened to Alana.

And Alana -- it'd also be great to see her make it through because of the devastation inflicted on her as a character and what she might inflict on other characters. She was the only one thinking rationally in the entire season finale, and her attempt to save her friends cost her badly. How she goes forward, and how they deal with what happened to her, is super interesting.

So I guess I'd like to see everyone survive. What I love about the show is that I have absolutely no idea if anyone will.

Jack is actually up in the air, but that's not because Fuller is torn on keeping him alive or not; it's because Laurence Fishburne might not be available (he's producing a show and IIRC doing a pilot for HBO). So his survival depends on the gods of scheduling. Fuller said in an interview that only Will was a sure-thing for surviving, but everyone else is a big, fat question mark.

I confess that I did not enjoy the Season 2 finale. The build up to it was incredible, and I enjoyed every other moment of the season. But the finale feels like a stumble: it feels like they wanted a different conclusion to set the stage for Season 3, but ran out of time and space to do it. So they dumped everything they had on the table and forced it into the shape they wanted.

Well, Bryan Fuller already confirmed in an interview that they're sticking to the Red Dragon novel in regards to Will Graham (ie - he lives). He also confirmed that Season 3 will be a kind of mixing of Hannibal (novel title) with re-interpreted bits from Hannibal Rising.

This makes sense to steal most of the plot of Hannibal, as that particular novel stars Clarice Starling, who Fuller doesn't have the rights to. By stealing the action pieces from that movie, he can tell it in a different way. I think this is part of a contingency plan to rework the overall mythos to eliminate Starling altogether. A shame, but since I like Fuller's take on things, I'm completely on board.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here