Escapist News Now: Bethesda Announces BATTLECRY

Bethesda Announces BATTLECRY

Bethesda's newest game features a ton of knives and brutal hand-to-hand combat.

Watch Video

Oh... free to play... ok. So basically they're likely releasing something I'll never touch.

I used to just buy games I wanted to play and then had the content.

Lightknight:
Oh... free to play... ok. So basically they're likely releasing something I'll never touch.

Agreed. TF style games have never been my forte. I only ever got into ME3 and Halo's MP modes b/c the SP modes had hooked me properly. I've yet to see a format like this generate a truly compelling story (no, not even Titanfall...certainly not Brink). I kinda tuned out of this game the moment I heard "squad based shooter." At "free to play," I pretty much abandoned ship entirely. History tells me the game will do will, if it can provide value and find its niche. I just won't be joining.

Well...that's 3 Bethesda games in a row that I don't care for (ESO, Evil Within, Battlecry). Only reason I am not lamenting the apocalypse is that the games have all been Bethesda's B-sides...here's hoping the "A-team" can provide some truly compelling material.

Didn't know David Beckham was in the game...

Seracen:

Lightknight:

Agreed. TF style games have never been my forte. I only ever got into ME3 and Halo's MP modes b/c the SP modes had hooked me properly. I've yet to see a format like this generate a truly compelling story (no, not even Titanfall...certainly not Brink). I kinda tuned out of this game the moment I heard "squad based shooter." At "free to play," I pretty much abandoned ship entirely. History tells me the game will do will, if it can provide value and find its niche. I just won't be joining.

Well...that's 3 Bethesda games in a row that I don't care for (ESO, Evil Within, Battlecry). Only reason I am not lamenting the apocalypse is that the games have all been Bethesda's B-sides...here's hoping the "A-team" can provide some truly compelling material.

Yeah so far these are all things from other studios under the Zenimax umbrella. When the heck are we going to find out what Bethesda Games Studios is working on? I mean I assume it's Fallout 4, but come on.

These recent Bethesda offerings (ESO, Wolfenstein, The Evil Within and now this) have totally missed the mark with this PC gamer. I'm beginning to think indie is the only way I'm going to be getting my fix in the future.

Shut up and take my money

Looks like Dishonored meets TF2 with AC3's artstyle and character design, which isn't a terribly bad horrible thing. I'm really loving free to play games, and if this one has good variety between classes, weapons, game modes and maps I'll definitely be checking it out.

Looks pretty darn neat. Always up for some Hack'n'Slash.

But what's up with Cleaver-lady's spine in that pic? Yikes.

I do love the art style for one thing, not quite steam punk, but has some appeal. Shame alot of people are turned off by the F2P aspect. I've played several such games and they're quite enjoyable sans the money system. Some games do it well; you'll never need to buy anything, but you can earn it through play. Others make a huge wall that requires you purchase content to even advance. Other games make the upgrades less potent, so even if someone buys content you're on a decent playing field. As always; let's wait and see.

So why does the actual game seemingly look so radically different from the bullshit cg that makes up 90% of the footage shown?

Wow, David Beckham, Jennifer Connelly, Julija Timosenko and Tom Hardy (as Bronson) in the same video game? Looks like the artist had some fun with a gig he didn't care about. I eagerly await which one of these people will be the first to knock on Bethesda's door.

Jacob Wisner:

Seracen:

Lightknight:

Yeah so far these are all things from other studios under the Zenimax umbrella. When the heck are we going to find out what Bethesda Games Studios is working on? I mean I assume it's Fallout 4, but come on.

The article actually states that this one, Battlecry, is a Bethesda game.

Soylent_Green:
These recent Bethesda offerings (ESO, Wolfenstein, The Evil Within and now this) have totally missed the mark with this PC gamer. I'm beginning to think indie is the only way I'm going to be getting my fix in the future.

All those games are Zenimax, not Bethesda.

Lightknight:

Jacob Wisner:

Seracen:

The article actually states that this one, Battlecry, is a Bethesda game.

Soylent_Green:

There is a "Bethesda Softworks" which is Zenimax's publishing arm and Bethesda Game Studios which makes fallout and main series elder scrolls games. All of these games are published by Bethesda Softworks despite not being developed by Bethesda Games Studios. This game, Battlecry, is not developed by Bethesda but by Battlecry Studios.

Lightknight:

Soylent_Green:
These recent Bethesda offerings (ESO, Wolfenstein, The Evil Within and now this) have totally missed the mark with this PC gamer.

Well that's a silly thing to say. That's like saying GTA isn't a Rockstar Game, it's a Take2 game.

Anyway, I *really* like the concept! Usually I dislike completely online games that lack a single-player, but I'm actually intrigued. And since this game is F2P, I can't think of a reason why NOT to try it (unlike with Brink and Titanfall). I'm really looking forward for more information about it.

Steve Waltz:

Lightknight:

Soylent_Green:
These recent Bethesda offerings (ESO, Wolfenstein, The Evil Within and now this) have totally missed the mark with this PC gamer.

Well that's a silly thing to say. That's like saying GTA isn't a Rockstar Game, it's a Take2 game.

No, because GTA IS developed by Rockstar Games. It is both a Rockstar Games IP and a Take2 games IP just like Skyrim is both a Bethesda and Zenimax game. However, Bethesda did not develop Battlecry. A Zenimax game is not necessarily a Bethesda game because Zenimax owns multiple development studios:

Zenimax owns:

Bethesda Game Studios, established in 2001.
ZeniMax Online Studios, founded in 2007.
id Software, acquired in June 2009.
Arkane Studios, acquired in August 2010.
Tango Gameworks, acquired in October 2010.
MachineGames, acquired in November 2010.
Battlecry Studios, founded in October 2012.

These are all separate and distinct studios. Now, I'm going out on a limb here and I'm going to assume that this Battlecry game may be being developed by Battlecry Studios. But that's just a guess.

Hopefully this makes better sense. It is being published by Bethesda though. Perhaps that's what you meant. But in the context of the discussion it seemed like we were talking about "developed by" and not published by. Perhaps that's the problem, "Bethesda" is actually an ambiguous noun.

Jacob Wisner:
There is a "Bethesda Softworks" which is Zenimax's publishing arm and Bethesda Game Studios which makes fallout and main series elder scrolls games. All of these games are published by Bethesda Softworks despite not being developed by Bethesda Games Studios. This game, Battlecry, is not developed by Bethesda but by Battlecry Studios.

Ah yes, my research above revealed this likelihood. Thanks for the clarification.

Lightknight:

Steve Waltz:

Lightknight:

No, because GTA IS developed by Rockstar Games. It is both a Rockstar Games IP and a Take2 games IP just like Skyrim is both a Bethesda and Zenimax game.

Hopefully this makes better sense. It is being published by Bethesda though. Perhaps that's what you meant. But in the context of the discussion it seemed like we were talking about "developed by" and not published by. Perhaps that's the problem, "Bethesda" is actually an ambiguous noun.

Yea, that is the problem. To me it looked like Soylent_Green was talking about Bethesda as a publisher (considering that's the connecting link between the four games) and not as a developer. I guess it's easy to get confused on which Bethesda you're talking about unless specified by adding Game Studios or Softworks.

Lets see

F2P.... Strike
Multiplayer team battle.... Strike
Bethesda with their gleeful support of ruining all commerce in digital format...Strike
Bethesda with releasing broken and unfinished products.... strike

.... Sadly I could pitch an entire no hitter with all the NO! this presents, so Ill leave it at that and forget this was announced, much like most of what Bethesda releases any more.

Looks like they're using this game to take a break from their usual offerings and to, I'm sure, use it as a sort of testing ground for combat in the next Elder Scrolls.

Soylent_Green:

Remember that "same studio" doesn't mean "same designers and writers", it just means "same-ish publisher/producer".

The teams making the actual good/decent products like Fallout and ESnotOnline games are somewhat-fixed sets of people, all the things you're talking about are made by the shovel... uh, 'expanded product base' teams.

Expecting games from the same studio to be of similar quality is sort of like expecting Twilight to be as good as "Little Women" because they're both from the Hatchett publishing group.

Steve Waltz:

Lightknight:

Steve Waltz:

No, because GTA IS developed by Rockstar Games. It is both a Rockstar Games IP and a Take2 games IP just like Skyrim is both a Bethesda and Zenimax game.

Yea, that is the problem. To me it looked like Soylent_Green was talking about Bethesda as a publisher (considering that's the connecting link between the four games) and not as a developer. I guess it's easy to get confused on which Bethesda you're talking about unless specified by adding Game Studios or Softworks.

I think they were correctly stating that a Bethesda was associated with them but confusing that Bethesda with the development studio as the basis of the complaint. So she/he's right about the publisher, wrong about the complaint.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here