Movie Defense Force: Hulk - You Won't Like Me When I'm Ang Lee

Pages PREV 1 2

The performances, by and large, weren't bad. Nolte's villain was certainly creepy enough.

But the way it bent over backwards to assure that, no, the Hulk wasn't actually going to kill anyone in his unstoppable fits of rage- that just took me out of the movie too much to be borne. The stupid second banana bad guy manages to kill himself with his own grenade just so we'll be spared blood on the Hulk's hands.

I'm not saying the Hulk needs to be decapitating people left and right, or anything, but it takes the necessary element of fear out of having a raging green monster stomping about to make it obvious that this is Nerf Hulk. Not to mention adding a regrettable element of ridiculousness to most of the showier action scenes.

"The tank flies a hundred feet!"

"No, a thousand feet!"

"Over the horizon!"

"YES!... And, everyone inside is perfectly okay."

"...Well, that goes without saying."

Jimothy Sterling:

Headline joke stolen from a Stewart Lee bit.

I applaud you Jim, was just about to ask.

I couldn't get very far into it. Too many comic book style cuts and zooms and montages over scenes where nothing interesting is happening. If they had just let it be boring when it was boring, rather than try to jazz it up every two minutes with whooshing sound effects as we focus on lab equipment, then I probably would have been able to power through to the good parts.

I've never actually watched this one, I caught some part of it twice on TV, got bored and changed the channel, and that's as far as my experience with it went.

Aside from that though, I still remember how cool the trailer was, when Bana's looking at himself in the mirror and the house gets wrecked.

Hey, I liked it. Although, at the time the movie came out I was reading a lot about the Hulk ret-cons involving Bruce's abusive father, repressed memories and mental issues, so it was a good fit.

"Struggle no more and give me all your power."
"You think you can live with it? Take it. TAKE IT ALL!!"

It has more character development in the first half than in the entire Ed Norton movie, and more action and explosions in the second half than in the entire Ed Norton movie. It's main failing was that it didn't blend the two throughout, which is really unfortunate because I think it had potential to be a great movie, instead of a very flawed but interesting movie. It also had some ridiculous looking creatures and effects, but I was willing to go along with it because the Hulk is somewhat inherently ridiculous.

So, how does this work? You did not watch this movie when it came out nor in the following dozen years, but somehow it was worth defending due to popular request.
So, you watched it actively looking for redeeming qualities knowing that you were trying to defend it? Did these qualities popped up "honestly" after having digested the whole ensamble? What if you had not found any of these redeeming points (be them forced or honest): would an episode had not been made despite popular demand?
Sorry Jimothy, I hope I am not coming across as negatively critisising your work or you; just intrigued as how your thought process works in defense of a film you have just seen.
Thanks

It's too bad a new Movie Defense Force actually DOES NOT APPEAR EVERY THURSDAY as promised. You really need to change that little line at the bottom to "should but won't necessarily appear on schedule, don't hold your breath, Jim is busy." Doing what? Arranging the dolls on his podium?

Wait. Jim isn't ill, is he?

The only thing I really remember about the film (other than the dog fight and the starfish) is that the climax was genuinely unwatchable in the cinema. As in it was so dark, foggy and chaotic that I literally couldn't tell what was going on, and couldn't physically see what I was supposed to be looking at.

gridsleep:
It's too bad a new Movie Defense Force actually DOES NOT APPEAR EVERY THURSDAY as promised. You really need to change that little line at the bottom to "should but won't necessarily appear on schedule, don't hold your breath, Jim is busy." Doing what? Arranging the dolls on his podium?

Wait. Jim isn't ill, is he?

Uh, Movie Defense Force is a fortnightly feature. What it actually says on the bottom of the videos, since its inception, is:

New episodes of Movie Defense Force appear every other Thursday only on The Escapist.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here