Escape to the Movies: Maleficent - An Unusual Fairy Tale of Revenge

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Maleficent - An Unusual Fairy Tale of Revenge

The retelling of the classic Sleeping Beauty fairy tale has a few plot problems.

Watch Video

So I wonder how long this will take to be a Kingdom Hearts Level.

Also, good to know Jolie still got it.

Jolie as Malificent is enough for me to go see it anyway, just to see how mad she can make that character. Good to know that it's memorable, too.

And is this review subtitle a thing now, or is it there through choice? Getting mixed messages through these last few weeks.

So, we should never watch your video's again because they're going to contain spoilers every, single time. >_>

So...take my 6 year old, Disney Princess obsessed daughter to see this, or not?

I'm surprised at the whole 'sympathetic villain' backlash movies like Maleficent have been getting.

I thought giving dimension to characters, through backstory and perspective change, was the way to give them depth.

Bob's review convinced me to check it out just for the hell of it. This movie sounds like such a crazy idea that I can't help but want to see it with my own eyes.

Oh, and I don't think Jafar would be the ideal candidate for a revisionist retelling; I think it could work for Scar or the villain from Frozen, though. Maybe Gaston as well.

The thing that gets me about this movie is, Who is it's audience?

It's not for kids or families
It's not for teenagers
It's not for males craving CGI transformers type of action
I doubt it's going to appeal towards women (not being one I couldn't say for sure, but wife has no interest).
It's not an art house type of movie

So I'm really asking, who is this movie made for?

we need more movies that can be described as utter madness.

Andrew Siribohdi:
I'm surprised at the whole 'sympathetic villain' backlash movies like Maleficent have been getting.

I thought giving dimension to characters, through backstory and perspective change, was the way to give them depth.

from what I hear she's only evil because of what a man did, if true I understand the criticism.

I still can't tell if he actually liked it or not. I guess he's recommending it to just so we can go see this kind of madness, and it is madness I saw the film last night at 7. Pretty much all he said is spot on, but I myself, liked it. I'm hoping there is some kind of Director's Cut of this film. I would pay good money to see that.

Disney's Kill Bill? Bob, you just make me actually want to watch this movie. I love Kill Bill. Oh, and that movie wasn't anything about "rape" at all. It was a betrayal movie with a love story mixed into it. The only part of "rape" was about the male nurse in the first movie that apparently had sex with her and other coma victims (he got what he deserved by having his head smashed in with the door). The rest of the story was that she was originally attacked by Bill and the snakes because if he can't have her, no one can. After that, it was simply revenge against those that did her wrong.

So, with all the spoilers, this is more of a critique than a review? I'm good with that, I don't usually mind being spoiled on stuff.

I was wondering how the I spit on your grave comparison was gonna play into the story. But holy crap. This sounds so nuts that I just gotta see this.

Ickabod:

It's not for teenagers
I doubt it's going to appeal towards women (not being one I couldn't say for sure, but wife has no interest).

For all the people who grew up on disney princess films and grew up, which is every demographic currently out there. Disney really doesn't have to work very hard with movies like these when it comes to audience appeal x)

Wow I'm slowed. I didn't realise the wings cut off was a rape subtext which I guess reinforce that I did felt the reinterpret of Sleepy Beauty is kind of like political correction or rather updated with modern society over old fairy tale

Yeah the three faries annoyed me in the film since they were pretty much the three stooges and who ideas was it to let them raise the child thinking they are good carer material just cos they got magic?
Overall I did thought the film was alright and had no expectation (it was the only decent film after Godzilla and X-men and I'm not too keen on Edge of Tomorrow) to it as I had pretty much forgotten the actual story.

*watches credits* Wait, Walt "Dizzy"? What are you talking abo-
Wait...
...*looks at Maleficent with wings*...

Ferisar:

Ickabod:

It's not for teenagers

For all the people who grew up on disney princess films and grew up, which is every demographic currently out there. Disney really doesn't have to work very hard with movies like these when it comes to audience appeal x)

I hear what you're saying, I just think that it's going to bomb

Huh. I thought you'd hate this because as you said, Maleficent is the first and only Disney villain to be played completely straight without any redeeming factor or quirkiness to her. To try and create a framework capable of painting the 'mistress of all evil' as good sounds awkward as all hell.

As for Jafar, it's already halfway done. The Sultan is an incompetent buffoon without a clue how to run a kingdom who inherited it by birthright. I've already read a fairly good fic where Jafar starts out taken on as a palace guard in his youth and murders and backstabs his way up to the top because he feels he would run the kingdom better.

"The maniacal love-child of Mae West and Vegeta...on bath salts."

Pure gold.

Also Jafar was already done in Once Upon a Time in Wonderland, and while his "sympathetic" version is also pretty messed up -

- and is played delightfully by Naveen Andrews, it ultimately comes off as a cliché, a detraction from his also "awesomely evil just 'cause" legacy, and another sticking point to a show that was, despite one or two bright spots, a trainwreck.

Disney should have made a PG 13 maleficent at least. With your description it sounds like the over-aching intent of the picture was cut down and diluted to make it more palatable. Thry should have just run with it and said "This is a Disney retelling for adults" not in the whole 'grimdark' sense but have it so they didn't just skirt around the issues brought up.

If you are an adult there aren't many other ways to interpret the wing cutting as anything but an act of violation and violence of a male character against a strong female character. This is, for all intents and purposes, act of rape. You are right "Drugged and mutilated by ex boyfriend" isn't something you can really skirt around so why bother? Why not let Maleficent take it's course and make a movie for someone instead of a movie for no one. This could have been glorious.

Hmm. I've never really understood the appeal of Angelina Jolie as an actor but I'll admit she has a presence in this role that at least intrigues me and I do admit I love the visual style they've gone for.

The review/critique at least gives me hope for an interesting ride if nothing else.

Andrew Siribohdi:

It's a tricky tightrope to walk though. Staging events to make villainous actions relatable or even potentially justified is one thing and when done well they can provide an alternate take on a character that I'm more than prepared to accept.

My primary complaint with the setup to Maleficent was that I don't want to see a complete revisionist story that repaints her as the hero of the story.

What I'm more concerned with is taking an established setting and characters and revising the structure to make the villain into the hero.

Uriel_Hayabusa:
Oh, and I don't think Jafar would be the ideal candidate for a revisionist retelling; I think it could work for Scar or the villain from Frozen, though. Maybe Gaston as well.

Actually, I think touching any of the post Little Mermaid works would be a bad idea. In those cases, all the villains were actually developed enough to make such revisionism unlikely. Jafar wanted the power of both magic and politics. Gaston was already an inversion of the traditional hunter hero by turning him into a jock (and likely rapist). And the Lion King is kind of untouchable given that it has had two major incarnations[1], both of which are divergent enough to make a reboot unjustified.

OT: So, yeah... I think I'll take a look at this one just to see what it looks like.

Ickabod:

It's not for teenagers

Teenagers would be one audience, particularly the Tolkien-loving crowd, as well as Gen Xers and boomers who grew up with the story as part of their childhood.

[1] the screen version which held a top ten grossing box office for more than a decade (and remains the highest grossing hand-drawn animation) and the iconic Broadway stage production that could be regarded as starting the Broadway Megashow era

THEY ALREADY DID JAFAR !!!.
there is a musical called "Twisted" which wickedfy the story of Aladdin and turns Jafar into the incredibly sympathetic hero, while being a very faithful adaptation of the disney film in terms of events.
you can see the entire on Youtube.

its crazy awesome.

Kumagawa Misogi:
Oh god please tell me your joking and there is not a Jajar revisionist film in the works!

That would be sure to fuckup and be extremely yet unintentionally racist.

Gilbert Gottfried is heading back into the Disney voice-acting studios. That only means one thing.

The movie sounds completely bat shit insane, haven't decided if I want to watch it.

I have a very good reason why you don't want maleficent to wipe out the humans, mass murder is bad.

MowDownJoe:

Kumagawa Misogi:
Oh god please tell me your joking and there is not a Jajar revisionist film in the works!

That would be sure to fuckup and be extremely yet unintentionally racist.

Gilbert Gottfried is heading back into the Disney voice-acting studios. That only means one thing.

That Disney bought out another comic studio and is making a Spawn reboot?

WhiteFangofWar:
Huh. I thought you'd hate this because as you said, Maleficent is the first and only Disney villain to be played completely straight without any redeeming factor or quirkiness to her. To try and create a framework capable of painting the 'mistress of all evil' as good sounds awkward as all hell.

As for Jafar, it's already halfway done. The Sultan is an incompetent buffoon without a clue how to run a kingdom who inherited it by birthright. I've already read a fairly good fic where Jafar starts out taken on as a palace guard in his youth and murders and backstabs his way up to the top because he feels he would run the kingdom better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-77cUxba-aA

Hey look a musical all about Jafar as a good guy!
It's actually fairly well done and makes jokes about other disney villains being not as bad as their movie counterparts.

A Jafar story in this vein would probably be set in the fucking Crusades.

The more I've heard about this film makes me wonder if they wrote the full story out (mutilation/revenge included) and then someone pointed out what the unintentional subtext was and they collectively tried to undo the damage with the second act. Sometimes we write things and then others have to look at it to make us understand what we accidentally came up with.

Or it could have been 'The maniacal love-child of Mae West and Vegeta on bath salts.' You never know.

Evonisia:
Jolie as Malificent is enough for me to go see it anyway, just to see how mad she can make that character. Good to know that it's memorable, too.

And is this review subtitle a thing now, or is it there through choice? Getting mixed messages through these last few weeks.

Agreed now I feel even more like I have to see this. Even if the movies a mess I mean

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pgmFAOgm5E this Lana Del ray "music video" for it just wtf.

Ronack:
So, we should never watch your video's again because they're going to contain spoilers every, single time. >_>

I was gonna mention this too Bob like the last month or two of reviews have all contained massive spoilers. The majority want your opinion but haven't seen it yet. Please cut down on the spoilers and just refer to your written discussion when possible otherwise I personally am gonna have to back off on watching as many videos.

That was an awesome review, Bob. I'll definitely catch this one when it hits video.

So should we just ignore the spoiler warning from now on? I mean if you hadn't included them in the last two reviews I honestly don't think anyone would have noticed or cared.

Sounds interesting. Though from what Bob says it looks like the movie would be better without the whole second act. Like it should have ended with the start of the original (well the Disney version) Sleeping Beauty. You know, she arrives to the castle in the middle of the celebration gets close to baby Aurora and credits roll. You already know what's going to happen and there's nothing more to say.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here