Previews: Homefront: The Revolution Video Preview

Homefront: The Revolution Video Preview

Crytek is bringing open-world action to Homefront.

Watch Video

Another grey generic shooter with extra political fearmongering, with a plot right out of Half Life 2. I'll pass.

Ldude893:
Another grey generic shooter with extra political fearmongering, with a plot right out of Half Life 2. I'll pass.

correction, grey generic shooter now made even more generic with a open world taped on because everyone has to have them with a failed IP's name taped on for name recognition from the 3 people that bought the original.

Also while the first one at least seemed to be trying to use realistic near future tech from the cut scenes we're moving into straight up science fiction. Expect to see at least one nuclear bomb at some point.

No multiplayer except for another 4 player co-op? Multiplayer was literally the only good part of orginal homefront.

Wait they're making a new Homefront?

I liked the original Homefront, even though it felt kind of unfinished. That said, I liked it mostly for the story and Crytek is shit at storytelling.

Ldude893:

Here's the thing, Half-Life 2 didn't have a political fearmongering plot. The Combine is pretty realistic in depicting totalitarian dictatorships, but it was just that, anti-totalitarian. HL2 also wasn't that gray and had variety in it's environments (although I agree it could use a little bit more variety in it's environments it seems to be more of graphical issue. Also, White Forest in ep2 is basically an American forest in Bulgaria), and managed to do it's setpieces right rather than shoving them in the player's face, with things having move across the underside of a massive bridge, and the "moving walls" the Combine use.

Homefront was a Call of Duty ripoff.

exobook:
correction, grey generic shooter now made even more generic with a open world taped on because everyone has to have them with a failed IP's name taped on for name recognition from the 3 people that bought the original.

Also while the first one at least seemed to be trying to use realistic near future tech from the cut scenes we're moving into straight up science fiction. Expect to see at least one nuclear bomb at some point.

Funnily enough an open world sandbox is the only thing that actually sounds good about the game, it's definitely more suited to a game where play as a rebel underdog then the linear CoD ripoff that the first Homefront was.

tm96:
Wait they're making a new Homefront?

Yep, I and everyone else with a functioning brain wishes they wouldn't and would make something more interesting instead, but they did.

Saippua:
No multiplayer except for another 4 player co-op? Multiplayer was literally the only good part of orginal homefront.

It wasn't even that good, I would have liked it more if they just focused on the multiplayer, rather than the "we have a movie writer writing this game" gimmick they did for the last game (it was written by the same guy who wrote Red Dawn, which is probably the biggest reason the story's so shit).

Didn't the first game seriously undersell despite the ridiculously over-the-top marketing?
I just don't see it being successful enough to justify a sequel.

The guy is right on one thing : Homefront did have a lot of untapped potential, though I highly doubt that will change with the sequel.
Oh well, too early to judge.

I tried taking Homefront seriously but the only thing that came to mind was CollegeHumor's animated series "The Adventures of Kim Jong Un." A dictatorial man-child's warped monument to his own ego he forces down his subjects' throats.

The main difference is that those animated shorts are tongue-in-cheek parodies. This series is playing it deadly serious, and that makes it absolutely hilarious in my book. North and South Korea uniting under that fat maniac's rule and invading America with futuristic weapons and super soldiers? That so implausible I can't help but laugh.

Remember how THQ declared themselves one of the big boys after the release of Homefront? That it was somehow going to be the contender for premiere FPS franchise?

Funny how things work out.

Remember the first Homefront game?
"Guys, it's okay if we blow White Phosphorus right on top of our heads. It'll only hit the bad guys, while leaving the good guys unscathed."

Color me skeptical.

Saippua:

They never said they *aren't* having multiplayer, just that they weren't talking about it. I'm not sure if that means no, or they haven't figured out what they want to do yet.

This is being made by Crytek UK, what was basicly Free Radical so I am hoping they still know how to make good games

EDIT: After watching the video I am interested in seeing more, in a way (gameplay wise) it seems maybe close to Far Cry 3 or The Saboteur. I highly doubt that the guerilla tactics thing goes any further then setting up traps and gadgets, I really dont see them making you feel like an untrained fighter (the only game that did it well was the first Mass Effect where you went from zero to hero even though storywise it never made sense that Shepard was so terrible with weapons).

The co-op though is what really made me interested, if its a good open world shooter all around having co-op just makes it better.

Wait......so the story. I played the original.......

How the FUTCH did the KPA get to Philadelphia?!

The story of the original AND the book both state that the KPA had poisoned and blockaded the Mississippi so that they didn't have to worry about the rest of the US military coming to the aid of the West. They also couldn't push further in because the US had fortified and strengthened the new border.

In addition at the end of Homefront 1, you had just started to retake San Franciso with the US Army (and some US Navy ships arrived and kicked the shit out of the KPN) and it was pretty obvious you were turning the tide a bit.

AND, and the in-game lore said that the EU was sending aid and military support to the US and the SAS was on its way to Hawaii to neutralize the KPA nuclear weapons they had there as a threat to the US.

WTF happened?

Who looked at Homefront and decided "sure, the FPS market isn't bloated enough, let's get some more of that!"

Crytek is Crytek, don't get me wrong, but I don't see this doing all that well.

Do we really needed a sequel of Homefront of all games?, I just find the idea incredibly stupid, at least on Wolfenstein TNO, nazis ruling the world with high tech weaponry is just a more fun idea than the generic "KPA invades teh US".

Also, I wonder if getting an extra layer of vaseline is enough to be considered "next gen".
I think I'll pass.

I have two questions.

One: How in the holy chipmunk fuck did Homefront get a sequel? Entire developers have been punished and destroyed for making games that got far better scores and sold better than that game. I just can't even see the publisher logic that thinks this can make money.

Two: When am I going to get my proper Red Dawn game? Stop pussyfooting around with this North Korea nonsense and trying to be all dark and gritty and just make the damn game. A game in the 1980s where a group of All-American high school students hide out in the woods and slaughter the filthy Communist Russians with guerrilla warfare and terrorist actions. I want the music, I want the glorious jingoism and I want it played awesomely cheesy, but also completely straight faced.
WHEN DAMMIT.

I didn't play the first Homefront game. The premise was interesting, but the reviews turned me away from it.

This game however, may really win me over. It will be interesting to explore what America would be like with North Korea in full control. A lot of possibilities to explore.

And yes, it is more or less impossible for North Korea to be able to take over America, but it's still a "what-if" that I think is a lot of fun to imagine.

I guess a lot of people including myself is just sick of fps, they do make the game sound somewhat interesting from a theoretical perspective but a lot of games that sounds good on paper turns out to be a disappointment in practice. I guess I'll skip this just for being an fps.

For me Homefront, just didn't live up to my expectations of what this kid of FPS should be: a celebration of guns. This is America that is being invaded, it should be an excuse to bring in any and all kinds of unique historical and modern weaponry. MilSurps from every gun producing country in history and conflict should be in this game; everything from single shot rifles, 10 gauge shotguns, to Japanese WW2 rifles, AK variants, to M60s and H&K rifles and Kris Vectors. Put it all in there and let the player have too many guns to choose from. If he wants to run around with an M-1 Garand or do cowboy action shooting with a lever action let him. Let the player go to town and scratch whatever gun fetish itch he has. That should be what an FPS about America being invaded should be about.

Eh, given Homefront was written by John Milinus you can't get more Red Dawn than that.

As for its plot, yes, its less believable than aliens or zombies combined but North Korea is a horrible dictatorship so who cares what they think?

STAND YOUR GROUNDDDDDD....

(sadly, the original game set a gold standard for development hell conditions for its workers)

Sir Thomas Sean Connery:
I have two questions.

One: How in the holy chipmunk fuck did Homefront get a sequel? Entire developers have been punished and destroyed for making games that got far better scores and sold better than that game. I just can't even see the publisher logic that thinks this can make money.

Two: When am I going to get my proper Red Dawn game? Stop pussyfooting around with this North Korea nonsense and trying to be all dark and gritty and just make the damn game. A game in the 1980s where a group of All-American high school students hide out in the woods and slaughter the filthy Communist Russians with guerrilla warfare and terrorist actions. I want the music, I want the glorious jingoism and I want it played awesomely cheesy, but also completely straight faced.
WHEN DAMMIT.

1: This isn't a sequel, it's a reboot. Crytek acquired the rights because they liked the premise. American rebels actually fighting a power stronger than them, not only fighting but civilian militia fighting well armed soldiers in their very homes. Such an ironic twist that also can make for interesting scenarios. Also they thought the original was a bit silly so they gave North Korea a lot more future tech so this is much more sci fi than the last one. And if you think that is silly then think of this:

'All of South America gets together to become one nation but instead of doing the logical thing and build up their economy and infrastructure they blow their wealth on invading the U.S, stealing their giant space gun, reverse engineer and build 11 more of the damn things in less than 10 years only to lose it to a team of commandos and their meddling dog.' That is the basic plot of CoD Ghosts. If that could get a multimillion dollar budget so can this.

2: I don't think Crytek has the rights to Red Dawn. Homefront's all they got so they're rolling with this.

MXRom:

Sir Thomas Sean Connery:
I have two questions.

WHEN DAMMIT.

1: This isn't a sequel, it's a reboot.

Oh. Huh. Didn't know that. A reboot to a series that came out a few years ago and had one entry. That makes even less sense.

Also they thought the original was a bit silly so they gave North Korea a lot more future tech so this is much more sci fi than the last one.

The technology is not the issue. The instant you make the North Koreans your big villain that subjugates the US, it's completely moronic.

And yes, Ghosts was idiotic as well, but it has the momentum of the CoD series. They were going to make another Call of Duty no matter what. Homefront didn't do nearly well enough to justify another game from its premise.

2: I don't think Crytek has the rights to Red Dawn. Homefront's all they got so they're rolling with this.

I can still dream...

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 54305)