Unskippable: Way of the Samurai 3 - How To Rock A Bald Spot

Way of the Samurai 3 - How To Rock A Bald Spot

Battles in the rain just aren't a whole lot of fun.

Watch Video

Yeah why is it always Nobounaga? Did Japan have no other leaders?

Loved this game so much when it came out. I still do a quick playthrough every once in a while. It was fun that it was basically a playground that you could do a quick run through and see how you can change things and get it to play out- plus if you can manage the "good" endings, they're pretty damn awesome.

Good fighting system too, getting into a long ren-satsu chain (one-hit kills thanks to "glimpse of death" after successfully parrying and carrying out a one-hit kill) was always awesome. Or, on the flipside, you could go through the whole game with your blade reversed, or carry Bokken, and play it non-lethal. There was also an insanely difficult (but personally rewarding as all hell) one-hit-death difficulty, which made blocks and parries the name of the game, and put Dark Souls to shame in that department- but if you want realism in a Samurai game, there it is.

I remember Samurguy, all those years home on sick days, watching his travails....

"But....Let's find out what happens if you're not a sociopath."

But then, why are you playing video games!

canadamus_prime:

I think it's a combination of Oda Nobunaga being a noteworthy ruler and creative bankruptcy. Sort of like how there was a period where all shooters were mandated by lack of a better idea to be WW2 shooters in Germany, only the genre isn't big enough to burn out so fast.

Wait, so he either decides he's a psychopath, pulls out his sword and kills two people...or he doesn't do that, tries to say 'Hi' and then faints from the effort?

I've clearly being saying 'Hi' wrong (or putting way more effort into killing people than was really necessary)

"I'm not bald! This is a hairstyle!"

Dalisclock:

It's not a hairstyle; it's a lifestyle.

Also, when the guy said that they had to get him to the village, this was my first thought:

I don't know if I'm a racist who thinks all foreigners sound the same, or the accents were really that bad.

canadamus_prime:

Well, there's the Tokugawa Shogunate. But they actually won, so you can't come up with as many alternate history scenarios.

Why not make a Samurai game based on the Takeda/Uesugi rivalry? Or the Invasion of Korea?

Soviet Heavy:

canadamus_prime:

Well, there's the Tokugawa Shogunate. But they actually won, so you can't come up with as many alternate history scenarios.

Why not make a Samurai game based on the Takeda/Uesugi rivalry? Or the Invasion of Korea?

Or how about when the Mongols invaded? They tried it twice, and only one of those was held off by a hurricane.

Thunderous Cacophony:

Dalisclock:

It's not a hairstyle; it's a lifestyle.

Also, when the guy said that they had to get him to the village, this was my first thought:

I don't know if I'm a racist who thinks all foreigners sound the same, or the accents were really that bad.

The voice actor was definitely channelling Arnie then. Or we're both as bad as each other?

I love pulling your sword in this game, I think you can do it in nearly every single cutscene. And you can totally rampage a field, just let loose on the grass.

Maybe a good GPLP game, huh? *hint hint*

... Please. I really want more GPLPs. :(

Edit: OH. They've moved to twitch. Lots of GPLPs there.

Roofstone:
I love pulling your sword in this game, I think you can do it in nearly every single cutscene. And you can totally rampage a field, just let loose on the grass.

I endorse this formula for all cutscene-heavy games. Too much boring narration? Guy with an annoying voice? Did this cutscene twice already? SLICE!

Half the time the people you're talking to are your enemies and you're going to end up fighting them anyway, why not cut to the chase? Sort of like the Metal Gear Awesome parody where Snake just shoots anyone who starts talking to him.

I can name one feudal Japanese game that didn't involve Nobunaga... Rise of the Phoenix. That one had a bunch of other warlords who were also bloodthirsty jerks, why can't we use them more?

Where did that info on the game come from? I've had an english copy for two or three years now. Unless that refers to a full digital release it's a bit off.

Way of the Samurai are some fun games, 3 was a bit weak though with its mash block to parry system and the town wasn't as interesting as 2 or 4's.

Huh... yeah that "kill the people you're talking to in the cutscene" button is actually a slightly interesting option...

It's almost as

leviadragon99:
Huh... yeah that "kill the people you're talking to in the cutscene" button is actually a slightly interesting option...

It's almost as tempting as some of those Renegade options in Mass Effect 2 or 3 cut scenes.

Could you add an alternative ending, maybe after the credtis, where you comment on the alternative choice, you know, killing these two guys.
Not for me...just as a little somethin' somethin' for those socio- and psychopaths out there?! Don't be discriminating! ;)

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here