Jimquisition: Air Control - A Steam Abuse Story

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Aardvaarkman:

Darknacht:
So whos version of good do you want them to use judge games to not allow on steam?

Whoever they hire to do Quality Control.

I'm sure that will be about as reliable as rolling a die.

The people pointing out the issues of QC with Steam (pointing out that the games like CoD: Ghosts wouldn't be there due to lying about their requirements, or Watch Dogs being unoptimized as hell)

If anything I think Steam would work well with some basic categorization on the store page.

I know that simply making an 'indie' category would be silly. This has been talked about already why that is.

But we clearly need some kind of category for these very low-budget games - or something like that.

Perhaps also a section for mobile game ports - since they seem to be flooding steam just the same these days.

Whoo. You're in top form this week Jim. Nice one. Thanks for the heads up

Evonisia:

RvLeshrac:
Watch_Dogs doesn't launch for many people. Some were banned from UPlay for "too many attempts" to activate because keys would not work. To this day, multiplayer will not work for many PC and XBOne users. It was intentionally broken, by the developer, on AMD PC hardware.

"4.5/5" -Jim Sterling

Did you miss the PS4 (Reviewed) part of that review? I'm sure the score would be much lower if he had played the PC version. Maybe even if he reviewed the Xbox One version (I'm not sure whether the whole multiplayer being broken thing is true).

And the issue is that it *doesn't fucking matter* which version was reviewed at the end of the day, it doesn't excuse releasing broken garbage and charging $60 for it, but the only site that has actually covered their broken shit is RockPaperShotgun which, conveniently, is the only site that didn't give it a glowing, faultless review.

Deadagent:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/jump/6.851575.21053204

E.S. made some great points to be sure. However, even he made note that reviews can't really keep up with all the Steam releases, not just because there are so many, but because to stay in business they (Himself included) have to cover the larger and more anticipated titles.
While it would be ideal for reviewers to do as E.S. wished at the end of the video and cover the games, letting us all know what ones are worth it. It just can't be taken care of by them alone.
Jim can only complain about so many games. ;p

Also, there is some room in-between having no quality control and having so much that only some game ever make it in.
Heck, they already do have quality control, so as a compromise they could just improve what they have so it reacts faster to troublemakers, and let the users have more freedom to comment without having anything negative deleted.

There's a spot in-between the absolutes where we can still have lots of games, but not let the devs behave in such ways.

Deadagent:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/jump/6.851575.21053204
"Indeed you know what im talking about so why don't you just leave it there huh? There's a reason I didn't fully say that name."

Actually, at first I thought you were talking about the dev of Depression Quest, Zoe Quinn. Which would have been even crazier.
Then I thought, why wouldn't he just name Zoe, or give the name of the game, Depression Que-
At that point I got why.

Because of course you where to scared to mention Anita Sarkeesian's name, Anita Sarkeensian.

BigTuk:
I'm wondering to myself if this call for 'Quality COntrol' has less to to with the problem of having genuine free choice in a market place and more to do with the fact that the critics see the sudden upswing in games as well a threat to their relevance. They may see the influx of games meaning that their ability to review and pick the games that will generate the greatest buzz/hits/views is eroding simply because there are more games for people to think about and it's less likely the critic will manage to pick the game that the viewers are thinking about.

I've never been one to rely on critics for actual recommendations. I mostly just watch them for the funny and maybe a little insight but in the end I always bas my decisions on what other players say, what I've seen of the promotional material and *how* the promo material is presented. What do the devs show?... what do they hide? Does this game look like something you'd have fun with after 40 hrs of doing what the material shows?

Seeing as how the games and devs are now famous for being crappy broken garbage, and vile liars. I doubt they doing better in terms of business.
I mean, Earth 2066 was taken off Steam and made to give refunds.

As for reviewers. Are they not also players?

I know they often have to meat deadlines so they can't always play the game as someone else would, but for the most part their experience is about as valid as any other person playing. As long as you can find ones who share your tastes in games.

As for the extra games to review, many reviewers complain about the yearly "game droughts", so this could actually help them. It's not as though they'd go out of business if they don't cover every game. Heck some of the reason they can't cover all the steam game is because they have to focus on the bigger, more anticipated games, or just the most popular ones.
Actually, it could make a new part of the business rather than hurt it. With people specializing in reviewing just all the new "indie" games coming out.

synobal:
oh wait I saw this on the steam best seller list.. oh wait no I didn't... Seriously Jim I get that there are some shit games on steam and something needs to happen, but these videos get old/

The thing is is that you get a lot more context if you watch his "Squirty Plays" on Youtube and (correct me if I'm wrong) is that how he goes about choosing these games is if he sees them on the front page he grabs them and plays. Which is what happened with Air Control.

The game is fucking trash nontheless. At one point his entire computer crash and he had to reboot his entire system.

Aardvaarkman:
So what?

There are plenty of other ways to sell or release games. Steam is not the only vendor on the market. People who want to release games can always sell them direct from their own website.

There being one reliably running main platform for indies to sell their games on, is good for gaming. And besides, it's good for Steam's own sake. I would rather enjoy Steam being successful than letting it shrink into just another minor store while the blunt of the indie revolution is happening on various private websites.

Aardvaarkman:
Not being sold on Steam is not the same as censorship.

Actually it is. You are mixing it up with "freedom of speech", that is the one that only applies to government-suppressed communication.

But "censorship" applies to anything from corporate censorship to self-censorship. Whether it's Ubisoft censoring hiding away nipples inside a game that their devs made, or The Escapist deleting comments, it is all one type of censorship or another.

I have a minor phobia about videogame glitches and the like, and an odd side effect of that is I occasionally have nightmares about playing videogames. The games I dream about are weird, nonsensical, broken and terrifying for reasons I couldn't really describe. The kicker is that in these dreams I am unable to turn the game off, and have no option but to stare at them until they suck my soul out through my eyeballs. Jim, I watched your squirty plays of this game and it was, and I'm not just being cute here, exactly like someone had brought my nightmares to grisly life.

It's perhaps for that reason that I absolutely respect the shit out of this game. It seems rather blatantly more a prank than a genuine attempt at a good game (and if it transpires it was the latter, then...holy fucking shit), but assuming I'm right then I still agree that it's a shitty thing to charge people for the privilege while promising something else. I don't respect the artist, but I wholeheartedly respect the art.

Charcharo:

ALso, QC can be hard to actually nail down.
IF I was doing Quality Control then :
Call of Duty ghosts WILL NOT BE ON STEAM. They lied on requirements and made the game work bad on purpose, that is foul play for me.

I fail to see how this would be in any way a bad thing...

Anyway, yeah Steam desperately needs some damn quality control, it's gotten to the point where every week I look forward to hearing about the next worst game ever. I mean just in the last few months we've had Day One Garry's Incident, Guise of the Wolf, Recoil (although I understand that one was actually patched), Earth 2066, and now this shit.
Y'know I remember when being on Steam was considered a badge of honor in and of itself.
Today? Not so much.

Madame_le_Flour:

Charcharo:

ALso, QC can be hard to actually nail down.
IF I was doing Quality Control then :
Call of Duty ghosts WILL NOT BE ON STEAM. They lied on requirements and made the game work bad on purpose, that is foul play for me.

I fail to see how this would be in any way a bad thing... *But I do*

Anyway, yeah Steam desperately needs some damn quality control, it's gotten to the point where every week I look forward to hearing about the next worst game ever. I mean just in the last few months we've had Day One Garry's Incident, Guise of the Wolf, Recoil (although I understand that one was actually patched), Earth 2066, and now this shit.
Y'know I remember when being on Steam was considered a badge of honor in and of itself.
Today? Not so much.

Maybe it does.
But only for the marketing used (so as it is not false) and not allowing developers to police their forums and silence criticism.
Everything else I am 100% totally and completely against.

Darknacht:

Aardvaarkman:

Darknacht:
So whos version of good do you want them to use judge games to not allow on steam?

Why? That's the result you'd get by using supposedly "objective" measures.

It's Valve's store, they can hire whoever they want, but if they were smart about it, they'd hire a small team that understands gaming and can curate the store to vastly improve signal-to-noise ratio. The end result, if done properly, would be better for users, and result in higher income for Steam.

RvLeshrac:

And the issue is that it *doesn't fucking matter* which version was reviewed at the end of the day, it doesn't excuse releasing broken garbage and charging $60 for it.

Actually, it does matter which platform it is reviewed on, because if it is broken for some platforms, but fine on others, then they aren't "releasing broken garbage" on all platforms.

Aardvaarkman:

Frankster:

Sure you can point to things like Earth 2020 or Airplane but I'm much more worried about GOOD games that have gone through thanks to steams laissez faire policy that wouldn't have made it otherwise, and had steam users had their way, wouldn't have let them in either since it doesn't appeal to their specific tastes.

To give an example, I'm quite fond of some VN games made by winterwolf, who struggled since over a year ago to get their games into steam. Once they were finally in, you had a fair few steam users raging at VN type games and dismissing them as shovelware and moaning about steam letting crappy devs in. Had a rigid steam quality control existed, I'm not confident winterwolves would have made it onto steam.

So what?

There are plenty of other ways to sell or release games. Steam is not the only vendor on the market. People who want to release games can always sell them direct from their own website. Not being sold on Steam is not the same as censorship.

"So what?" is kinda lame in that it can be used as a retort to anything, I can just easily answer you back like that in an equally dismissive manner :P

But to address the actual meat of your statement: steam is not the only digital game vendor on the online market but it's the main one by far. I love GOG but it isn't in the same ballpark as steam, and then you have...what? Desura? Origin? Again not in Steams ballpark.
For a minor dev to get on steam is like hitting it "big time" due to exposure their products get, which is a big fucking deal when it comes to getting your game sold.

Yes plenty of devs sell on their own site, including winterwolves, and that has 0 exposure, you wouldn't know to look there if you weren't already aware of it. This is why minor devs want to be on steam so bad and quite a few of them (i've already named winterwolves so to give another example..the devs of dominions 4 or Distant Worlds: Universe) rightfully deserve their place there as they made good games. Getting your game in the steam library, having it appear on the new releases tab or just being on the front page, taking advantage of steam sales to hook in gamers who normally wouldn't have purchased the product... Can you really not see the advantages to being on steam for a small dev? Advantages that don't exist or are in much reduced form in any other digital distribution service due to steam having a monopoly in this particular market.

I don't believe I equated not being sold on steam as being the same as censorship, so gonna assume that's not directed at me.

Alterego-X:

Aardvaarkman:
So what?

There are plenty of other ways to sell or release games. Steam is not the only vendor on the market. People who want to release games can always sell them direct from their own website.

There being one reliably running main platform for indies to sell their games on, is good for gaming.

Is it? How is a monopoly and lack of competition good for the market?

If you believe this, then I suppose you also must believe that the Apple App Store is good for gaming, as it's the dominant vendor of mobile games?

Alterego-X:
And besides, it's good for Steam's own sake. I would rather enjoy Steam being successful than letting it shrink into just another minor store while the blunt of the indie revolution is happening on various private websites.

How is Steam being full of crap like Air Control good for Steam? Them tightening up the store would be much better for their success, and that of indies. What they are doing now is just giving indies a bad name. Meanwhile, indies are doing quite well on closed platforms like Sony's PSN and Apple's store.

Alterego-X:

Aardvaarkman:
Not being sold on Steam is not the same as censorship.

Actually it is. You are mixing it up with "freedom of speech", that is the one that only applies to government-suppressed communication.

No, I'm not. Their games not being sold on Steam is not censorship by any meaning of the word, as they are still free to speak, and sell their games via other means.

Frankster:

But to address the actual meat of your statement: steam is not the only digital game vendor on the online market but it's the main one by far. I love GOG but it isn't in the same ballpark as steam, and then you have...what? Desura? Origin? Again not in Steams ballpark.
For a minor dev to get on steam is like hitting it "big time" due to exposure their products get, which is a big fucking deal when it comes to getting your game sold.

So, how about we discourage Steam's dominance, and encourage a diverse market of many different vendors, rather than worshipping a model where one vendor is the be-all-end-all?

Aardvaarkman:

Darknacht:

Aardvaarkman:

Why? That's the result you'd get by using supposedly "objective" measures.

It's Valve's store, they can hire whoever they want, but if they were smart about it, they'd hire a small team that understands gaming and can curate the store to vastly improve signal-to-noise ratio. The end result, if done properly, would be better for users, and result in higher income for Steam.

The end result would be Steam telling people what they should be playing and yet another reason not to use steam, which is not what steam wants. They want to spend less money and let people buy whatever they want to buy, not spend a bunch of money and not let people buy games that they want to buy.

Aardvaarkman:
How is Steam being full of crap like Air Control good for Steam?

Because for some people Air Control is fun, and they want to buy it on Steam. And so Valve benefits from selling people something they want to buy.

Aardvaarkman:

So, how about we discourage Steam's dominance, and encourage a diverse market of many different vendors, rather than worshipping a model where one vendor is the be-all-end-all?

I would actually quite like that, I don't like steam being in the position it is. But I'm not sure if many share my feelings judging by how much love valve gets and steam is usually named as a reason to love them.

Heck I was a total supporter of Impulse when it was run by Stardock back in the day, and then it got bought up by gamestop...

Honestly I think the only digital vendor that can give steam a bloody nose anymore is GoG and that's cos it has its own special niche of DRM free loveliness.

Anyways, the situation is as it is, sadly enough :(

Oh man, I was looking forward to this one ever since I saw the Youtube videos. Did not disappoint. Especially the pink tie.

This is the third one of these videos on Steam's quality control he's done now. I'm not complaining, they're certainly interesting and think it's a message worth pushing, especially since so many are a little too eager to leap to Steam's defense. I wonder if Valve are watching them, they could certainly learn from them. Would it really be so hard to hire a QA department or something?

Aardvaarkman:

They get more than enough competition from piracy to motivate them to stay cheap and convenient. More vendrs beyond that is plain redundant.

Aardvaarkman:

If you believe this, then I suppose you also must believe that the Apple App Store is good for gaming, as it's the dominant vendor of mobile games?

Exactly. Any proof of the opposite?

Aardvaarkman:

Meanwhile, indies are doing quite well on closed platforms like Sony's PSN and Apple's store.

At least the ones that get to be released. Open platforms will always spearhead the most potential for new ideas as well as for failures. Wasn't Minecraft just recently finally ported to the PSN? And still not even to Steam?

If they start kicking indies off of their closed system, Steam will see more Minecrafts and less Rusts, which means much less revenue for them, and the only thing to gain for it is the increased approval of Jimquisition audiences (who are not just going to abandon the whole market anyways).

Alterego-X:
No, I'm not. Their games not being sold on Steam is not censorship by any meaning of the word, as they are still free to speak, and sell their games via other means.

To keep defending that "they are still free to speak", is a really bad way of showing that you are really aware of the difference between the meanings of being censored by a particular platform, and being restricted in one's free speech.

Aardvaarkman:

BigTuk:

I'll withhold copyright infringement allegations until said copyright holders actually file suit to such effect. I suggest you do the same. Seriously. How do you know they did not optain express permission to use the assets they did. I've heard no legal filings, I've seen no cease and desist orders.. So really if the people who legally own the copyright aren't throwing lawyers at them ... well then it may be safe to say the guy has found some nifty fair-use loophole.

No, that's not "safe to say" at all. In fact, it's a rather silly thing to say.

Firstly, lawyers are expensive, and this developer probably has no money. There is likely nothing to be gained, and a lot to be lost, by filing suit against this developer. Secondly, this title is obscure - the owners of the copyright are likely not even aware of the infringement.

The lack of a lawsuit is not evidence of lack of infringement. Thousands of copyright enragements happen every day without a lawsuit ever being filed. Hell, I'm a photographer, and I've had my images used without permission. But the costs of prosecuting those infringements is prohibitive, and the infringers live in other countries. It would cost a large amount of money to start litigation, and most likely have zero reward.

Using your same logic - if a person is found murdered, yet nobody has been charged with the murder, does that mean the murder never happened because there is no lawsuit over it?

Copyright enforcement isn't always about wringing money... after all.. it takes no real money to send a cease and desist letter via registered post or even email and that's all it takes. The developer has assets... at the very least they have stuff that can be sold to generate money. You are also aware that where financial restitution cannot be made you will serve actual prison time right?

Or all income you earn will be put on lien until the amount is paid...

Of course this is mere speculation but here's the case.. innocent until proven guilty. You know they have the works of others in this game.... but what you do not know is if they have permission from the copyright holders.(again none of them have stepped forward with a public cease and desist, or are using the components in such a way as to be fair game under the 'fair use' term.

Again.. we don't know, but the fact that the ;lawyers haven't been summoned yet means the holders don't know, don't care or may have given permission.

Thanatos2k:
Again, names are one thing. Marketing descriptions are another. This is the description for Surgeon Simulator on Steam:

"Surgeon Simulator 2013 is a darkly humorous over-the-top operation sim game where players become Nigel Burke, a would-be surgeon taking life into his own shaky hands, performing life-saving surgical maneuvers on passive patients."

See the difference?

That's patently ridiculous. From a marketing standpoint, what you name your product is THE most influential factor in how the public is going to perceive it. If I make a game, and call it "Helicopter Pilot 2014," you can bet your ass I expect people to come in wanting to fly helicopters. It is just as significant, if not more significant, than a little blurb people only see after a customer clicks to the page, having already read the title and formed an impression of what the game is about.

And Surgeon Simulator is as much a simulator as Air Control is a flight simulator. Admitted, Surgeon Simulator does admit that it is a farce somewhere in the marketing materials, but the fact is both titles are deliberately misleading.

Aardvaarkman:
Why does it have to lack subjectivity?

I support filtering Steam's content, but I believe it should be done subjectively. I'm not sure why you think objectivity is required. Humans aren't objective beings, we aren't algorithms. Games are a creative field, and should be judged subjectively, not objectively.

It needs to have objectivity because otherwise many products will never be made, to say nothing of whether they are rejected or not. If you are a prospective indy, spending hundreds of man-hours and thousands of dollars (minimum) to make a game, do you really think you're going to do anything that might remotely run afoul of of the restraints people are advocating?

And if the rules aren't clear--crystal clear--the risk goes up by orders of magnitude. If they are subjective, you can't know if the reviewer you get will put his stamp on your product or toss it out the windows because he's having a bad day. So you'll play it safe. And Steam loses all the sales to niche audiences who never get to see the game they want to play.

It's like lawsuit-phobia--I can tell you from professional experience, that 99% of every CYA maneuver companies engage in to avoid lawsuits are completely unnecessary. However, everybody knows of that one case, where the subjective judge was completely off their rocker and awarded a ridiculous settlement, and the ambiguity pushes all the corporations into paranoia. And from what I've seen, the world has lost out on a lot of great ideas because of it.

Nothing censors creativity worse than doubt.

Oops duplicate

Jesus Christ, Steam, where the fuck is your brain?! Earth: Year 2066 was one thing, but to allow a shit game like Air Control go unchecked, put it in your online store, and allowing its douche-bag developer to get away with murder is even worse. Get off your lazy asses and do something to save your business from these scummy hacks.

Alterego-X:

Thanatos2k:

Please list one of these "great" games that could not have come out on Steam if it had minimum quality requirements

Katwa Shoujo.

You know, I really hate to butt in on other people's arguments (not that it ever stops me) but I do feel the need to point out that Katawa Shoujo is and never will be on Steam, so this was kinda a poor example.

I would have used Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines. A game that, freshly bought on Steam, is more likely than not going to be completely unplayable in it's vanilla state.

Darknacht:
The end result would be Steam telling people what they should be playing and yet another reason not to use steam, which is not what steam wants.

It's not so much a matter of Steam telling people what they "should" be playing, but rather, getting rid of rubbish that is ruining Steam's reputation.

It's this kind of game that is a much bigger reason not to use Steam. And especially Steam allowing these lying assholes control over the comments left by reviewers. That's a major turn-off for anyone who wants to seek any kind of honest opinion about the games on STeam, knowing that these scammers can control what's posted in the forums.

Darknacht:

Aardvaarkman:

Because for some people Air Control is fun, and they want to buy it on Steam. And so Valve benefits from selling people something they want to buy.

I highly doubt that enough people would enjoy Air Control that it outweighs the damage done to Steam's reputation. Having a bunch of crap in the store is a major disincentive to people buying stuff on Steam. I know that I don't visit Steam much anymore, because it is so much of an effort wading through all the crap. So, they are losing plenty of my money.

In any case, the masochists that want to "enjoy" crap like this can go and find it themselves elsewhere. It's not the kind of thing you'd expect on a major store like Steam. All this is doing is pissing off regular customers. Do you really think there is any significant paying audience for broken games like Air Control?

Alterego-X:

Aardvaarkman:

They get more than enough competition from piracy to motivate them to stay cheap and convenient. More vendrs beyond that is plain redundant.

Piracy isn't "competition" as such - as piracy is not taking marketshare or making money from the selling of games.

So, you're perfectly happy having the fate of game sales in one company's hands? What if they go under, or your account is banned? You'll be left with no other options, and they will be able to screw you completely.

Alterego-X:

Aardvaarkman:

Exactly. Any proof of the opposite?

I think it has good and bad aspects. Would you really be happy if Apple was the only vendor to purchase your games from?

Alterego-X:

Aardvaarkman:

Meanwhile, indies are doing quite well on closed platforms like Sony's PSN and Apple's store.

At least the ones that get to be released. Open platforms will always spearhead the most potential for new ideas as well as for failures. Wasn't Minecraft just recently finally ported to the PSN? And still not even to Steam?

But Steam isn't an open platform. They do have their own rules about what is and isn't allowed. The only truly open platform for retailing games is to sell direct to the consumer. There are no other open platforms for game retailing.

Alterego-X:
If they start kicking indies off of their closed system, Steam will see more Minecrafts and less Rusts, which means much less revenue for them, and the only thing to gain for it is the increased approval of Jimquisition audiences (who are not just going to abandon the whole market anyways).

I never said anything about "kicking indies" off Steam. I'm talking about kicking shitty games off, whether they be by indies or otherwise. Not kicking indie developers as a whole off.

Alterego-X:
To keep defending that "they are still free to speak", is a really bad way of showing that you are really aware of the difference between the meanings of being censored by a particular platform, and being restricted in one's free speech.

Or that you don't understand what censorship means. If I make a line of homemade jackets, I'm not being censored if The Gap chooses not to sell them for me.

Abnaxis:

It needs to have objectivity because otherwise many products will never be made, to say nothing of whether they are rejected or not. If you are a prospective indy, spending hundreds of man-hours and thousands of dollars (minimum) to make a game, do you really think you're going to do anything that might remotely run afoul of of the restraints people are advocating?

That's only an issue if Steam is the only player in the market. If Steam rejects it, then another company can sell the game. Address the real problem - Steam having too much influence - not the symptoms.

Steam already has subjective reasons for not selling some games, so this "problem" already exists. What would an "objective" criteria for a "good game" look like, anyway?

Aardvaarkman:

Darknacht:
The end result would be Steam telling people what they should be playing and yet another reason not to use steam, which is not what steam wants.

It's not so much a matter of Steam telling people what they "should" be playing, but rather, getting rid of rubbish that is ruining Steam's reputation.

It's this kind of game that is a much bigger reason not to use Steam. And especially Steam allowing these lying assholes control over the comments left by reviewers. That's a major turn-off for anyone who wants to seek any kind of honest opinion about the games on STeam, knowing that these scammers can control what's posted in the forums.

Darknacht:

Aardvaarkman:

I highly doubt that enough people would enjoy Air Control that it outweighs the damage done to Steam's reputation. Having a bunch of crap in the store is a major disincentive to people buying stuff on Steam. I know that I don't visit Steam much anymore, because it is so much of an effort wading through all the crap. So, they are losing plenty of my money.

In any case, the masochists that want to "enjoy" crap like this can go and find it themselves elsewhere. It's not the kind of thing you'd expect on a major store like Steam. All this is doing is pissing off regular customers. Do you really think there is any significant paying audience for broken games like Air Control?

It only ruins their reputation with dumb asses that think that Steam has ever been a good place to figure what games to buy, Steam has always been a shit place to research games and I would have though people would have realized that by now. Valve really should be mediating their own shit and not letting the devs do it but that is in no way a new problem. Also letting people sell what ever they want in a store with effectively infinite space does not hurt anyone, at least not anyone with a brain, as long as the product does actually sell, and its not presented in a deceptive way. Air Control's description and the dev comments are deceptive and should be fixed by Valve but anyone who takes the over the top claims seriously after watching the trailer or looking at the screen shots is an idiot. When I go to Amazon I don't expect them to have tested every product and made sure that its something that a large number of people will like. I don't demand Amazon remove Sharknado for being a shitty movie, I don't see why Air Control should be removed because a lot of people don't like it, just don't buy it, I personally think its quite funny to play.

BigTuk:

I can't say I ever recall seeing this on the steam front page... like ever. I actually had to do a name search just to find this on steam.

I stumbled upon this somehow, can't remember how though. I think I was browsing items under 10 dollars but not sure.

Anyway I remember seeing the name and thinking that it was some sort of air traffic controller simulator so went to see. And man I saw crap from the get go, even the supposed bullshots are bad (though at the time didn't know they were fake) and the whole description seriously casted doubts on me. Flight simulator X looks a lot better than that and that was what? 8 years ago, maybe more, can't remember when it came out. And the whole screen shots claiming realistic mode made me facepalm.

Jofe:

BigTuk:

I can't say I ever recall seeing this on the steam front page... like ever. I actually had to do a name search just to find this on steam.

I stumbled upon this somehow, can't remember how though. I think I was browsing items under 10 dollars but not sure.

Anyway I remember seeing the name and thinking that it was some sort of air traffic controller simulator so went to see. And man I saw crap from the get go, even the supposed bullshots are bad (though at the time didn't know they were fake) and the whole description seriously casted doubts on me. Flight simulator X looks a lot better than that and that was what? 8 years ago, maybe more, can't remember when it came out. And the whole screen shots claiming realistic mode made me facepalm.

So in short, your mutant power of possessing two working eyes and a sum of working neurons greater than five allowed you to deduce that this game was not a game you would spend $6 on.

Perhaps you can share this super power with other since there seems to be great concern and distress that the greater gaming population at large lacks your amazing mutant superpower, going by Jim and some of the other commenters :p

Nice to see, yet again, people are making no shortage of excuses for the developers. Look, I get that consumer responsibility is very much a thing, but shouldn't the person selling the crap or being dishonest while selling it be held accountable too? And anyway, how does the whole "do your research" argument hold any weight when the developer is actively removing criticism and falsifying praise? Are they STILL blameless when you buy their product based on lies and misinformation?

Honestly, eventually we have to stop putting all of the blame on the customer and say "actually, you know what, this is unacceptable; not only does this pass the boundaries of subjective quality, being undeniably trash, your dishonesty, thievery of copyrighted material and censorship of criticism goes beyond the pail, and should not be sold for actual money".

I can see this is one of those "it doesn't say anywhere that the coffee is hot - give me all your money." situations.

Unmitigated trash is bad. You can argue that having trash in the park makes the grass look greener, but it still doesn't change the fact that sooner or later the grass WILL die because of that trash.

I'm a programmer and as part of my training I had to take website and user-interface design courses. The one truth that is universal to good design is informative minimalism. Convey as much information in 5 seconds that you can with as little on screen as possible, because users will not devote more time than that in passing. We can all deny that we don't do this, but that's just how the brain works and we have to consciously decide to investigate further past those 5 seconds.

Which brings me back to my first statement. Trash like Air Control on Steam takes away from those 5 seconds by taking the place of another game which may be more deserving of the passing glance. Having a cluttered or overpopulated store inhibits purchasing by creating information overload and/or decision paralysis, which is bad design. Steam is better than that, which is why they need QA and QC to function. With AAA taking up spaces just by existing, real estate is extremely valuable to indies. Sure its good for a laugh to have bad games and makes the other games nearby look much better by comparison, but sooner or later the trash will choke the grass and we will all lose something valuable.

Infernal Lawyer:
Nice to see, yet again, people are making no shortage of excuses for the developers. Look, I get that consumer responsibility is very much a thing, but shouldn't the person selling the crap or being dishonest while selling it be held accountable too? And anyway, how does the whole "do your research" argument hold any weight when the developer is actively removing criticism and falsifying praise? Are they STILL blameless when you buy their product based on lies and misinformation?

Honestly, eventually we have to stop putting all of the blame on the customer and say "actually, you know what, this is unacceptable; not only does this pass the boundaries of subjective quality, being undeniably trash, your dishonesty, thievery of copyrighted material and censorship of criticism goes beyond the pail, and should not be sold for actual money".

There are plenty of bad review of the game on steam its not like they are being removed. The argument most people are making is that it should not be removed from the store not they Steam should not fix the problem of deceptive descriptions and dev moderation of the forums.

This is kind of why ... I don't want to risk paying for a game on the green light. Don't get me wrong, some Indie games turn out to be gold and I wish to of been the first person/people to of played it. But then stuff like this comes up and it makes me glad that I don't take a leap of faith only to get my hopes crushed.

Well said Jim. Steam really needs to actually test play these games themselves or approve before... well, before they're released! We give actual developers like Bethesda a hard time for their game being buggy but at least it's complete and filled with riches. This game? It's not only a mess but a flat out scam to get as much money off testers as possible. Jeez.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here