Zero Punctuation: Wolfenstein: The New Order

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Wolfenstein: The New Order

This week, Zero Punctuation reviews Wolfenstein: The New Order.

Watch Video

While I was disappointed that this wasn't a limerick video, I am suddenly more interested in W: TNO. Didn't expect such a pleasant surprise. I guess you did need last second poetry after Rhymedown came to a tragic end.

I was actually thinking about buying this one even though I've never really been into Wolfenstein. I just don't think my computer can run it.

This is hands down one of his best reviews. I couldn't stop laughing.

I'm glad Yahtzee ended it with a Limerick after all ^-^
OT: It seems interesting, so I might give it a go. Though as he warned, I won't expect much innovation.

I had a pretty good guess Yahtzee would like this one a bit more. haven't played it myself, but just from what I've seen, it reaaaallly does have a lot of the feel of the old, good shooters, dusted with the coat of new graphics and some changes, but not so much to the point that you're choking on it like too much cinnamon. A+, games industry, maybe there's hope for you yet.

What can i Say
But more Limericks Yay.
That is it, I'm out.

I think he liked it.

canadamus_prime:
I was actually thinking about buying this one even though I've never really been into Wolfenstein. I just don't think my computer can run it.

Isn't it also out for the consoles as well? Normally, I'm more of a RPG gamer and not an FPS gamer. (Though Borderlands helped muddle that a bit.) However, I might give this a look.

CAPTCHA: respect me

I hope the Captcha isn't channeling the game there. I will play the game and decide for myself whether it deserves respect, thankyouverymuch.

GamemasterAnthony:

canadamus_prime:

Isn't it also out for the consoles as well? Normally, I'm more of a RPG gamer and not an FPS gamer. (Though Borderlands helped muddle that a bit.) However, I might give this a look.

It is currently on all current and last gen consoles bar the Wii and Wii U.

Waiting for this review (or at least some mention of the game by Yathzee came around) until I got bored and bought the game.

Having a blast with it, yellow U-boat soundtrack and all that, is nice to know that he liked it too, and really, is pretty atmospheric and ... interesting (except for mecha super solider bosses ... thing which drag a bit).

canadamus_prime:

Its not exactly a graphics powerhouse, I'm sure most pcs can handle it.

"Basically Tintin on protein shakes". That's one for the GOTY Edition's box blurb.

Aptspire:
I'm glad Yahtzee ended it with a Limerick after all ^-^
OT: It seems interesting, so I might give it a go. Though as he warned, I won't expect much innovation.

No, but I think thats one of the problems these days that might set up more title disappointment. Personally, every game doesnt have to come out and have new innovation to make me want to play it, honestly I care more about the story. Believe it or not, thats where this game will get you by the short and curlies. I was honestly shocked when I started playing it, and would now recommend this game to anyone. This game DESERVES to be successful. They didnt pull a Duke Nukem and try rebooting the character and utterly bury him. They actually elevated BJ in this game. Do yourself a favor, stay away from Youtube and avoid anything spoilerish about this game, and buy it. I seriously doubt you will be disappointed.

I bought Wolfenstein The New Order, to have a game on my One to kill Nazis and pass the time. What I got was a shooter that stuck to its roots, was fun to play, invested me completely in the game, and the biggest shocker of all... had a very heartfelt, powerful, and strong story. I loved this game, and it was the best $60 I spent this year, easily. EASILY.

Daemascus:

canadamus_prime:

Its not exactly a graphics powerhouse, I'm sure most pcs can handle it.

Oh, you. Unfortunately for a percentage of PC users, Wolfenstein TNO can only be run on 64-bit systems, and uses ID Tech 5 as the engine, meaning that the computer must have some amount of beef (not a bunch, but some) to try to run it. Obviously, it'll need more beef the better you want the game to look, but it should run fine on a computer built in the last three years or so.

Well, that makes me feel just a tinge better. I've considered buying this game (after the price drop and a 50% off sale on Steam, mind you) but the fact that it is (or so I've heard because I can't be bothered to stop playing Fallout to do some research) 50GB meant I'd spend 42 hours downloading it. By the time that it is a reasonable price, I may even have that shiny new 1TB SSD to replace one of my 2 HDDs.

GamemasterAnthony:

canadamus_prime:

Isn't it also out for the consoles as well?

It's a shooter. It uses a mouse. Thus, it is to be played on PC.

Always nice to hear a positive review.

For me i loved this game. Has that great blend of stealth and action. Where you can be stealthy and take out the enemy with silencers and knives. But when it kicks off, you have duel wield shotguns to help you to safety. The story was good, but the level variety was good and never out stayed its welcome. Thing is, i hated the the last Wolfenstein game, one of the few games i never completed.....and i completed the Green Lantern and Iron Man movie tie in games. lol.

Damn nice.
I played it, definitely best game so far this year. At least finished, complete game.

@People that wonder whether it will run:

I ran it on this:
4Gb Ram
i5 750
ATI HD 5770 1 GB

At 1680x1050 on High - medium settings. It ran extremely well. Optimized game, DESPITE THE LYING Sytem Requirements they put on the back.

well, I maay hve to pick this up,

Huh, having not really talked to anyone about this game I was fully expecting it to make like the entire shooter genre and turn out to be another thinly disguised clone of the modern CODs but what do you know. Might actually consider buying it now.

Went to go watch The Rhymedown.

...oh, I forgot.

That limerick episode is still my favorite today and I couldn't believe it didn't win the viewer's choice thing... much less make it to the top five. That ending being four lines of limerick made me pine for a the days that might've been if we had let him know we liked his sing-song poetry...

Heh heh. It really does make one appreciate Wolf 2009 considering everything that came after it right? BTW still the best ZP review, that ol' Wolf.

One thing that makes me sad about the new Wolfenstein is that it will inevitably get glossed over, while overhyped drivel like Titanfall gets more media coverage than two wars and a kitten massacre.

It's a solid, competent FPS with good level design and good supporting mechanics. You can stealth your way through many sections, exchange fire from cover (with one of the most unobtrusive cover systems ever) or just dual wield shotguns and plow your way through the Nazi hordes while laughing maniacally. There's even a perk system that rewards unlocks not for arbitrary XP points, but rather by completing gameplay objectives that encourage you to try all the various approaches to murdering Nazis that the game offers. Again, it's unobtrusive and feels like a nice extra.

But where the game shines is the worldbuilding and characterization. The plot itself is fairly unremarkable (though not bad), but the alternate history that's built for it is just great. And again, it's unobtrusive - you get it through journal entries, recovered letters, newspaper clippings and overheard conversations, and it all paints a picture of how the world turned out, both on a personal and global scale. From the events in China and Russia to day-to-day lives under a world-spanning Nazi regime, it's all there for you to find.

Hell, the developers made alternate German versions of songs from the period! That's just going the extra mile there!

Characters themselves are believable, fleshed out and feel like actual people. Even B.J., despite seeming like a generic square-jawed meathead FPS protagonist is actually a subversion of that trope - while outwardly he does often act like the "action hero", his inner monologues and his interaction with people in quiet moments reveal a thoughtful, introspective individual with plenty of remorse and regret who just wants to set things right.

It's a wonderful game, the best Wolfenstein game and one of the best single-player FPS games in a long while.

That settles it. TB liked it. Yahtzee liked it. It's on my Wishlist now.

Also, everyone else: Definitely get Jam. The best way to describe it: The floor is lava for grown-ups. :)

Playing through Wolfenstein The New Order I was eagerly awaiting Yahtzee's review because I knew he was going to like it. It was right up his alley with plenty of things to make fun of in his style of humor.

I did have to laugh quite a lot at the Nazi Tiger eating Yahtzee's kitten.

I finished this game the other day too, and was left with a twinge of a smile on my lips and the feeling that I'd just had 12 hours of fun. Which is pretty much EXACTLY what I want out of a story driven FPS. And the fact that it came with a surprisingly effective story just made it all the more sweet, probably even a contender for shooter of the year.

Lets see if the game gets a bit more attention, it completely deserves it.

I believe that Yahtzee has truly gone soft
Praising and padding and pissing aloft
Where there once was flare
With the strength of a bear
All I see now is cowardly croft

According to a few critics, simply applying traditional mechanics in a cohesive and well designed manner just isn't good enough, unlike all of those modern milit...

...wait...

Ah well, I'm glad that the game seemed to have done well so far, at least it's success wasn't automatically mandate by the media like Titanfall and Watchdogs, regardless their real quality.

Would have been better if they had picked a side and went with serious depiction of a world ruled under the iron fist of Nazis or just over the top silliness of, say, killing mecha-hitler on the moon with laser shooting dinos. The tonal shifts between the two just didn't flow well and was not helped by BJ having some of the worst "deep introspective" lines I have ever heard. Made me chuckle to imagine that it was a symptom of the shrapnel imbedded in his brain, making him spout terrible dialog that only he would think are insightful or funny XD

Guns could have used more variety though the ability to dual wield was pretty sweet. There are only a handful of enemy types and the only noticeable difference was that the normal armored guys with shotguns are strangely a bigger threat than the big robot uber soldier dudes. The boss fights (of which there were only two) were pretty lame. The moon base was pretty disappointing as you only spend a minute out on the surface before its back to generic industrial corridors. The stealth was surprisingly good and sometimes a much more preferable option to just running in guns blazing. The splitting timelines wasn't a terrible idea but provides only superficial changes that doesn't matter either way.

Overall it was still an enjoyable shooter, getting to see some old mechanics make a comeback was refreshing like a leaning mechanic even though I never used it. It did have some good scenes and set pieces but the tonal shifts and loose threads connecting them were painfully obvious. There is plenty of Nazis killing and I suppose that's what matters when you pick up a Wolfenstein game.

-"...Tintin on protein shakes."

SOLD! SOOOLD! SOOOOLLDD!!

Although, captain Haddock would've been a great Nazi-Em-Up character, running about on enemy u-boats glassing everyone.

-"Blazing barnacles, ye buggers! Teach ye to take me ship!"

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or