Escape to the Movies: Edge of Tomorrow - Tom Cruise Is Cool Again

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Edge of Tomorrow - Tom Cruise Is Cool Again

Tom Cruise dies a lot in this film, but surprisingly, it's in a good, character driven way.

Watch Video

Glad to hear it's better than his last sci-fi crapper that was Oblivion. That movie actually cloned the SOB and made him play multiple hims. Yuck!

Well I didn't expect that from the posters which kinda looked like Elysium but meh. Colour me interested now, I might go see it after I finally get to see Maleficent.

Not gonna lie, I'm pleasantly surprised at how well-received the movie has turned out to be. Not just by Bob but by other critics as well. Here's hoping that this gives other Hollywood filmmakers the idea to check out more Light Novels for inspiration, provided they're good of course.

I myself wouldn't mind a movie based on Fate/Zero or Boogiepop Phantom. Just saying, Hollywood.

See and you got through the whole thing without spoilers! Proud of you bob.

I gotta say that I'm really suprised at how mch the critics liked this one. 89% fresh on Rotten Tomatoes? Not bad!

But could anyone tell me what the question he answered next to the Fault In Our Stars poster was? "It's a foregone conclusion, that's why." That's why what?

Was on the fence about this one, good to hear that it's good. I took next week off so I might check it out.

My one qualm with this movie was Tom Cruise, but now it seems like it still might be pretty good. So I'll check it out. I thought that Jake Gyllenhaal would have been better... but I realized it's because I really liked him in that other movie... Source Code maybe? And he actually was up for the part and turned it down because of how similar it was to that movie. Weird. But, I'm interested.

I watch this, godzilla, maleficient and the new x-men all in one weekend last week. Godzilla was the only disappointment of them all while Edge of tomorrow and maleficient stand at the top of my list.

X-men wasn't bad either, but I wish they did magneto better, the first one when he said "all my life was under the mercy of soldiers following orders, never again" as he turns the missiles back was absolute genius!

So another words - and I'm pretty sure I'm not the first one to make this observation and won't be the last, probably the billionth one - Groundhogs Day crossed with Elysium.

:P

Wow, even Bob liked it (well ok I've read it has been getting good reviews). I still somewhat not keen to watched it per say even to his role in Oblivion or are people who did watched that are forgetting about it in favour of Edge of Tomorrow?

Hey Marvel you know that Captain Marvel movie you've been seriously talking about recently? Well I think I may have found your lead.

Tom Cruise stars as the little blue alien from Cartoon Network fillers! Now that's a premise!

Tom Cruise hasn't been popular since the 'couch' incident? (looks at the box office for Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol - $700 million in 2011) yeah he's still popular.

Just looked through Wikipedia, of the 16 films Cruise has done since 2000 (excluding edge of tomorrow) only 2 weren't profitable.

That's better than many popular actors can say.

Deathfish15:
Glad to hear it's better than his last sci-fi crapper that was Oblivion. That movie actually cloned the SOB and made him play multiple hims. Yuck!

So all the new Tom Cruise vehicles revolve around him having multiple lives in one way or another?

Still, I'm kinda surprised Bob gave this the "it was pretty good". Most critics have a tough time reviewing middle of the road movies, or anything that doesn't completely suck or totally rock. Bob usually does a good job at finding something related to the movie to dish on though, and thankfully we had the "Tom Cruise is a space pope" angle to keep this thing interesting.

youji itami:
Tom Cruise hasn't been popular since the 'couch' incident? (looks at the box office for Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol - $700 million in 2011) yeah he's still popular.

As Bob said, 'popular' and 'box-office draw' aren't quite the same thing. People go to watch Cruise in movies, but they still think he's a dick.

Although he was great in Tropic Thunder.

Flatfrog:

youji itami:

As Bob said, 'popular' and 'box-office draw' aren't quite the same thing. People go to watch Cruise in movies, but they still think he's a dick.

I since edited my post with (Just looked through Wikipedia, of the 16 films Cruise has done since 2000 (excluding edge of tomorrow) only 2 weren't profitable. That's better than many popular actors can say.)

Tom Cruise is mostly the leading man in his films why would people who dislike him go to see films were he is the lead?

Queen Michael:
I gotta say that I'm really suprised at how mch the critics liked this one. 89% fresh on Rotten Tomatoes? Not bad!

But could anyone tell me what the question he answered next to the Fault In Our Stars poster was? "It's a foregone conclusion, that's why." That's why what?

Yeah, what does that mean exactly, the "foregone conclusion" bit?

OT: Well, I might try and see this either this weekend or the next one if I can get the chance to head out. Really surprised how much the critics and people seem to like this movie.

dalek sec:

Queen Michael:

"The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars,
But in ourselves, that we are underlings."
-Cassius
Julius Caesar (I, ii, 140-141)

The title of the book/movie is a Shakespeare quote about the inevitablity that all men must bow to fate. The book/movie is about some kids who have cancer. You can see where this is going.

OT: Is there a reason for Emily Blunt using a JRPG sword to fight aliens? I guess it lets you make the most of the suit's strength, but those big rocket tubes look a lot safer.

Nomanslander:
So another words - and I'm pretty sure I'm not the first one to make this observation and won't be the last, probably the billionth one - Groundhogs Day crossed with Elysium.

:P

Was actually amazed the words "Groundhog Day" were never once mentioned by Bob here. That's all I can think about when I see trailers for this.

Alright. Sounds good. I'm in.

At first, I thought this was going to be Source Code with aliens. Then a few trailers got me interested and a review from a week ago gave an enthusiastic review with enough info to whet my appetite without giving too much away. This review seals the deal; I'll see the movie in a couple of weeks once the audiences die down and probably enjoy it. Probably not "watch, love, repeat" but "watch, enjoy, remember".

Wait, didn't Bill Murray do this already in Groundhog Day twenty years ago??

I guess this is a good plot formula that should be used a lot more...

InvisibleMan:

When I first saw the trailers I was thinking "So, Groundhog Day+ [insert really well done non period piece war movie here]"

Glad the formula works

Edge of Tomorrow is basically what Starship Troopers would have been if they'd actually tried to make it good (as opposed to a satire, which was still fun but definitely on the 'bad' end of the spectrum) with a Groundhog Day twist.

And yeah, it's awesome. But if anything bothered me about the movie, it's that the beginning is a little slow. I realize it's intentional to an extent, but it took me until about halfway through the first battle to really be sold on the movie.

As for the third act, I'm basically down by this point. For politeness' sake (although I definitely want to discuss it):

Thunderous Cacophony:
OT: Is there a reason for Emily Blunt using a JRPG sword to fight aliens? I guess it lets you make the most of the suit's strength, but those big rocket tubes look a lot safer.

Because it's based on a Japanese book, and if I remember correctly they actually describe her weapon as being overly large. Additionally,

Speaking of which, despite the generally good reviews, I still find myself hesitant to see this movie because I was less then impressed by the book it is based on.

el_emmens:

InvisibleMan:

When I first saw the trailers I was thinking "So, Groundhog Day+ [insert really well done non period piece war movie here]"

Glad the formula works

I was thinking of Source Code with mech suits. Good to know this one's good. I liked Bob's video game analogy with Infinite Lives and Continues, which I think was what they were going for. I also did not think of Tom Cruise in terms of "from a different era of movies".

InvisibleMan:

No, it should not be used a lot more. That would overdo it. I've seen the formula of repeating the same events over and over done well maybe two or three times aside from groundhog day. Oddly I can only think of those few times as well at the moment. But it's not a formula that has the sort of mileage to support more than those few instances where it's done well over the span of a few decades. It's the sort of thing that needs that time to breath in between uses or it'll just be overdone.

Thunderous Cacophony:

dalek sec:

Queen Michael:

-Cassius

The title of the book/movie is a Shakespeare quote about the inevitablity that all men must bow to fate. The book/movie is about some kids who have cancer. You can see where this is going.

While this is true... isn't it true about about a large majority of movies? Sure the two main characters in TFIOS are going to die. And Godzilla is going to "save" the city. And Tom Cruise is going to beat the Aliens. And the X-Men are going to change history to save the future. And Captain America is going to defeat Hydra (for this movie, anyway). And Thor is going to beat Loki. (For this movie, anyway) And the Avengers are going to defeat Ultron in Avengers: Age of Ultron. And Jupiter is going to become the Queen of Earth/Owner of Earth/Something Powerful Enough To Keep Earth From Being Strip Mined By Obvious Bad-Guy CEO Metaphor in Jupiter Ascending. And... so on and so on. Most movies have that going for them. That's something most of us enjoy about movies - we know what the destination is and we're there to enjoy the journey.

So for Bob to put up "It's a foregone conclusion" for TFIOS, with no context, is rather strange. I'm not sure if that's supposed to be dismissive and insulting (The "This Kind Of Movie Sucks And I'm So Glad I Can Ignore It Because I Couldn't Ignore Twilight" sort of dismissal) or if it's a simple statement (The "There is no Venn diagram that puts Escapist patrons with TFIOS fans. If we were to put them on a different type of graph, they would be these three dots waaaaaay off to the side. The Outliers, as they say in Statistics.") or if there's something else going on.

Really, I'm not even sure why he would bother putting it up at all. Have people been asking him to review it on Twitter? Have Nerdfighters made this a "thing" with Bob to the point where he needs to actually reply to them in some way? What's the backstory to it? Why did he choose to do this than to make a reference to the new Transformers Metal-Band toys (which look at once to be hilariously idiotic and so dumb they're awesome)?

The statement just sticks out like smurfs in a sore thumb.

Uhmmm isn't this basically Groundhog Day?

Thunderous Cacophony:

dalek sec:

Queen Michael:

-Cassius

the same reason you use a sword and not the gun in a video game, you never run out of ammo.

OT: I may just have to see this movie, but ill wait till after the masses have ran to it:)

I thought this sounded good when I read about the premise and saw the trailers, and it sounds like I was right.

One thing that amused me about the premise was that the aliens take over Europe before anywhere else, and from the clips here it looks like the US stages a counter-invasion from the UK. I wonder what they could be referencing?

(How long before someone does a YouTube mashup of the American military flying over the White Cliffs of Dover with "America, F*** Yeah!"?)

Not gonna lie, I was fully expecting this to be awful but it actually sounds pretty interesting. I guess I'll check it out. The main thing that had concerned me about the movie was Tom Cruise but you have alleviated that concern Bob.

Ishigami:
Uhmmm isn't this basically Groundhog Day?

Yes, I too enjoyed the scene in Groundhog Day where Bill Burray battled a bunch of alien monsters in a robotic suit.

Just got back from seeing it. I like it a lot! Please let this movie do well.

The mimics look basically like Protoss/Zerg hybrids just more Protossy than Zerg. The Heavy jacket soldiers look like marines. Rita is badass like Ghost Kerrigan. Cage is a reluctant hero like Jim Raynor. Can I have a live action Starcraft movie please?

youji itami:

Flatfrog:

youji itami:

I since edited my post with (Just looked through Wikipedia, of the 16 films Cruise has done since 2000 (excluding edge of tomorrow) only 2 weren't profitable. That's better than many popular actors can say.)

Tom Cruise is mostly the leading man in his films why would people who dislike him go to see films were he is the lead?

Well, it's possible to dislike someone while still thinking they're good actors - not only possible but relatively common, since even the best actors are often egotistical twats. I know from direct experience that Michael Sheen is pretty unpleasant to work with and, well, let's just say not entirely trustworthy. That doesn't mean I wouldn't watch one of his movies, I recognise that he's a great actor. Conversely, Rupert Grint appears to be perfectly pleasant but he can't act for shit, and if he was starring in a movie I wouldn't bother watching it.

Yes, when actors do something particularly heinous (Mel Gibson) it can affect their box office. But Tom Cruise isn't in that category. He's just a dick. And I don't go to a movie to see Tom Cruise, I go to see the character he's playing.

my main concern with this movie is that I don't see how Tom Cruise can play a young Japanese man very well.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here