Jimquisition: The Rise of YouTube Fodder

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Thanatos2k:

Zachary Amaranth:

Thanatos2k:
My easy solution is to not watch Youtube "celebrities."

Most are insufferable enough as it is.

Also why are you derisive of the Putt Putt games? Putt Putt is amazing.

I especially wish the people who complained about Pewdiepie would just stop. About the only time I hear about a lot of these things is when people complain about them. I don't know, has anyone here ever actually heard someone say something positive about PDP? Maybe it's just me.

Because there IS nothing positive to say. God only knows how people can listen to that dreck.

I have to agree with Zachary Amaranth the constant "I hate Pewdiepie" is way worse then Pewdiepie himself because at least I can avoid Pewdiepie easily like everyone should be doing if they hate him.

Anaphyis:

Alterego-X:

Then don't browse games on Steam.

Slow clap.

Walking into a bookstore and trying to find good books solely by their cover, is also a pain in the ass.

Book stores are organized. So are video game retail stores for that matter. The shovelware trash is in the bin at the back of the store, not in the window displays.

Wow, I know gamers are a generally challenged species and defend absolutely everything but this is a new low.

Even the worst shovelware trash in the back of the bookstore still had to go through numerous quality control measures before it was allowed in the store.

The book is guaranteed to not have half the pages blank, or burst into flames when you try to read it.

rembrandtqeinstein:
why not instead of constantly complaining about bad games you use your "internet celebrity" status to promote good games that deserve our attention

here I'll start

TOME the best "pure" roguelike ever made, super polished interface, works across every platform HUNDREDS of hours of truly interesting gameplay

http://store.steampowered.com/app/259680

but the developer is so honest he lets you download the WHOLE GAME for free from his website so you can try it as long as you would like

support this guy and not corporate publishers

Thanks for letting me know about this game, will check it out!

OT: Yeah I agree with Rembrand above, Jim it's good you point out the bad ones but pointing out some lesser known good ones would be nice to see as well, positivity to go with the negative :-)

Well Jim stated quite a few reasons why I don't like the survival horror genre in its current state (I'd rather it be dead than this travesty).
Glad I'm not the only one who has a problem with all the trash.

Goliath100:

Jimothy Sterling:
Right, but why I cover them *confidently* is because of what I said. Like I said.

Because all they do is take up space? Because informing the consumer is not the job of the reviewer, right?

I...what...i dont...
Do explain because that might have been the most contradictory thing ive heard today

Being a reviewer and not informing the costumer about the game you're reviewing...whaaa?

Abnaxis:

Don't think of Steam as Amazon, think of them as YouTube.

You made the bookstore comparison, not me.

Thanatos2k:

Because there IS nothing positive to say. God only knows how people can listen to that dreck.

Still, it's baffling to think anyone could have as many viewers as him and nobody seems to like it. Limbaugh, Bieber, Howard Stern, John Cena....People hate them, but you'll see defenders.

loc978:
Every gamer I know personally uses a web browser to peruse news sites or youtube for that purpose.

I don't know anyone personally who's ever been to Idaho. Doesn't mean people don't want to go to Idaho for...Whatever reason. Doesn't mean people don't go to Idaho. Doesn't mean that Idaho shouldn't have some operating road system.

Yahtzee the father, TotalBiscuit the Son, Jim the Holy Ghost - the Holy Trinity of British Game Reviews

Zachary Amaranth:

loc978:
Every gamer I know personally uses a web browser to peruse news sites or youtube for that purpose.

I don't know anyone personally who's ever been to Idaho. Doesn't mean people don't want to go to Idaho for...Whatever reason. Doesn't mean people don't go to Idaho. Doesn't mean that Idaho shouldn't have some operating road system.

Not an apt comparison. The same information (plus some) is available all over the internet. You're not asking for Idaho to have a working road system, you're asking for it to organize its public records to your liking. Unless you think Idaho's roads are somehow traversable in Montana.

In any case, I've already admitted defeat here. I just don't understand people.

loc978:
... the storefront is shitty because it's an advertising method. Advertising methods are there to lie to you, been that way since Edward Bernays revolutionized it all for the worse, long before any of us were born.

In any case, I'll admit this is just me not understanding people who don't immediately dismiss all attempts to sell them something. I've been like that since I was a kid. This is probably one of those things that does need changing, I'm just confused by the existence of that need.

Zachary Amaranth:
You made the bookstore comparison, not me.

Eh, no, that was someone else, who made the initial metaphor on this thread. A metaphor which you were all to happy to engage with before.

My point is, Steam isn't built to be a store, it's built to be a hosting service. They aren't Barnes and Noble, they're the landlord leasing the Barnes and Noble building. As long as the rent is paid, they get their money. And, since they have essentially limitless real-estate, it makes sense for them to grant title to anyone who's willing pay their 20% tariff to the Duke of Newell.

We think of Steam as a store, because they take our money and give us a server to download content from. However, the developer/publisher is the one that really providing us with what we are interested in, and Valve is only there to make the devs' jobs easier.

OY! Do not put this crap in the same category as the putt-putt games! Those are playable! And maybe fun, at least when I played them years ago.

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here