Trailers: Dreadnought - E3 Teaser Trailer

Dreadnought - E3 Teaser Trailer

I'm sure that the pilots didn't have this in mind when they took off.

Watch Video

I feel quite the cynical old man when I see trailers like this, but all I can think is "screw your cinematics! I want gameplay! Show me gameplay!"

I'm 32 years old, and was watching the E3 live stream with friends yesterday, chatting via IM. I realized I was bitching about everything: "Scripted! That's so clearly scripted!" The friends are in their mid 20s and said "you don't like anything! Of course it's scripted, it's a promo show." I thought "well, yeah...but I wanna see real gameplay." Then it hit me: I have become so old and jaded that I'm bitching about staged gameplay at E3. I need to get out the rocking chair and fake teeth.

Cool. So what is it?

tdylan:
I feel quite the cynical old man when I see trailers like this, but all I can think is "screw your cinematics! I want gameplay! Show me gameplay!"

I'm 32 years old, and was watching the E3 live stream with friends yesterday, chatting via IM. I realized I was bitching about everything: "Scripted! That's so clearly scripted!" The friends are in their mid 20s and said "you don't like anything! Of course it's scripted, it's a promo show." I thought "well, yeah...but I wanna see real gameplay." Then it hit me: I have become so old and jaded that I'm bitching about staged gameplay at E3. I need to get out the rocking chair and fake teeth.

You aren't being jaded. We usually joke about trailers being unrepresentative of gameplay, but that there told me absolutely nothing about what it's even supposed to be, let alone how it plays. Is it an arcade flight sim? An RTS? A TBS? A 4X? Who the fuck knows.

Checked the website out and it still doesn't make it clear what this game is about apart from a cryptic message about "step onto the bridge", if its a Star Trek Bridge Commander style game I would actually wet my pants.

The Facebook page also says "What will you do in the Captain's chair of a gigantic #Dreadnought?"

Okay I am definitely interested now.

J Tyran:
Checked the website out and it still doesn't make it clear what this game is about apart from a cryptic message about "step onto the bridge", if its a Star Trek Bridge Commander style game I would actually wet my pants.

The Facebook page also says "What will you do in the Captain's chair of a gigantic #Dreadnought?"

What if it mixed Eve Online space combat with Battlestations Midway? I'd have died and gone to heaven.

tdylan:

I am the same way. I don't mind a cinematic opening but when it's nothing but cinematics it's annoying because it's hard to form an opinion on a game when your basically only being shown high quality concept art.

Lot of my friends are in their mid-20s and reacts are mixed. Some are excited by what they see and others are like "Meh". Everyone's tolerance for flash BS advertising is different. With age comes experience and the older you get the more often you get burned by flashy advertising for a terrible game, and thus become more cynical and cautious. The benefit of youth is that it is easier to be optimistic when you are naive.

Like you I tend to be a bit cynical as I've become fairly good at reading between the lines. I've even predicted the flop of a few games my friends were looking forward too. One of which was Sim City and my comments on all of it's short comings giving what the Devs had shown thus far pissed off one guy in my online gaming guide so much that he now actively avoid me. I think the fact that I was right is what pissed him off most otherwise he probably would be around rubbing it in my face.

I suppose the point of that story is you do sometimes have to be careful when criticizing things. Because even if you are right some people treat a criticism about something they like as a personal attack.

I liked the trailer. The bait and switch was fun, and it succeeded in doing what a teaser trailer is meant to do. As long as the next trailer goes into more depth, I'm happy.

tdylan:
I need to get out the rocking chair and fake teeth.

Not so fast, you haven't had the sports car or the girlfriend barely half your age yet.

To business!

Soviet Heavy:

J Tyran:

What if it mixed Eve Online space combat with Battlestations Midway? I'd have died and gone to heaven.

Even a game styled like Nexus: The Jupiter Incident would be great, a tactical RTS where you have to balance your capitol ships systems and manage its weapons along with any small craft it launched.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here