The Big Picture: E3-mageddon: Crossover

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4

**sigh** this is why I'm finding Bob's opinions on video games and geek culture less relevant these days: hoping people find games they find fun at E3, immediately after lambasting whole genres and art styles for appealing to a demographic he strawmans as latently racists, sexist, homophobic, and xenophobic children. I hope you enjoy something, but if you like these you're probably a bad person.

I'm sorry, I couldn't watch this. I stopped around the three minute mark.

It's just not my cuppa. I think the dialogue was just too slow and stilted, and it began to grate.

judging from last GDC conference, looks like retrothinker decription of E3 would be more fitting for GDC. sight.

But Overthinker - Scoreboard, leaderboards spreasheets and points IS FUN to some of us. we LIKE STATISTICS.

That...was a chore to watch. I mean no disrespect, but that was thoroughly awful. I get the points you were trying to make throughout, but most of it just came off as pretentious.

I occasionally enjoy watching "The BIG Picture", but this was just painful. I don't think your crossovers and your Game Overthinker show are for me.

Casual Shinji:
Is it wrong that I feel bad about everything but being white and having a penis?

If Tumblr is to be believed, then yes. In fact, not feeling bad about them means you're worse than Hitler.

(yes, I just went Godwin in here)

Scrumpmonkey:
snip

Jebus, Scrump. You are just on the ball with ninja'ing me in this thread. Save for a few minor points here and there you are mirroring everything I was thinking and was planning to post.

I'm just....gonna go sit over there in the corner and let you do all the leg work. Seems you've got this handled.

Aw Christ.

Mr Chipman, I generally like you. I like Escape to the Movies, even when I completely disagree with your appraisal of a movie. I like The Big Picture, even when... actually I don't think you've ever pissed me off with that one. I think you're a smart dude and I enjoy listening to what you have to say.

But Gameoverthinker is just painful. It has been ever since it stopped being basically Big Picture About Games and morphed into the Bob Fingerpuppet Show.

It's the kind of painful that makes me pray that nobody walks into the room and looks over my shoulder while I'm watching it.

What was Bob trying to accomplish with this again? I mean christ, I've seen some awful stuff but I think MovieBob needs to stick to movies.

The negrothinker? wtf?

That was unbearable, I couldn't watch till the end. With all respect bob, keep your gameoverthinker stuff segregated from the escapist, or at least from your other shows, not my cup of tea at all. The gameoverthinker stuff use to be okay back when it was just commentary. Its hard not to interpret this as anything but advertisement for your other show. As others have pointed out, the "guest" appearances are kind of ridiculous when it is the same person, coming with his own confabulated counter arguments. This is a text book definition of a circlejerk... just with your self, so that makes this a session of....

Long story short, this was terrible, and hopefully you will return to your regular show. Please never do a "crossover" again, unless you do it with other people, not other characters other people

Isn't somewhat ironic that a 30 something white male who's only desire from E3 is to be surprised creating a parody of 30 something white males that implies they always get something? His own existence negates his parody.

Also...

Why is it the more Bob talks about gender issues, the more it becomes apparent that he's just regurgitating the words of others without any consideration?

Its starting to come across as though he doesn't actually believe what he's saying, but rather believes that he should believe.

wulf3n:

Its starting to come across as though he doesn't actually believe what he's saying, but rather believes that he should believe.

Well to be fair, that is the main and most identifiable trait of all pseudo-intellectuals.... or so I have been told.

Lono Shrugged:
I am really, really disappointed that a movie critic would accept such god-awful production values and put them to air. Critic videos always face a certain level of scrutiny. But holy shitballs, that was atrocious. Buy a freaking soft box light and even a cheap clip mic. I have a couple of spares lying around I would gladly post they are that cheap. Maybe upgrade from vhs or dv. It's like finding out that this food critic you respect eats pot noodles for dinner. This is not about technical ability. It is just sheer laziness. The content was lost on me completely due to the horrible washed out 'lighting' that a first year film student would not accept and echoy sound that is inexcusable.

A critic of movies must be regarded as above the average filmgoer in terms of appreciation of the craft. You don't need to be Roger Deakins. But when a guy whos reviews you take about 10 minutes out of the week to watch produces something so painfully and obviously bad. You really need to question your bookmarks. I am shocked that you could look at that and say "That is the composition and lighting I need" and then be critical about the way any film was put together. I am being hard about this because someone fucking has to be. If I turned in a video like that I would be fired and I have never proclaimed myself an expert on anything.

Next time use a clip mic or even use your mic that you use for your VO. Get a cheap video light and put some butcher's grease paper on it to diffuse it and soften it. Put a reflector or tin foil on the coffee table in front of you to fill out your face. Pick a backdrop that either has something in it properly in frame or nothing at all. use only natural light for the background until you get a proper kit. Take down the posters or feature them in shot. Not one or the other. There is nothing more frustrating than seeing half a poster with the light shining off it. Think about composition and what it tells us. (Why does the douchebag, macho gamer still have a NES?)
Get a new camera or use an iphone 4s and up if you are stuck. The 4s can take a clip mic to record sound. This may sound silly but get some matte make up for your face to cover the sheen. Ask for help on that one. I keep some in my kit bag and use it exclusively for guys to get rid of that sheen. This is the bare minimum you need to look good on camera. Jim Sterling took a lot of shit in the early days and now his pieces to camera look better and better because he takes this advice onboard. You and your audience deserve better than this.

I wish the Escapist had an upvote feature for comments like this.

Besides your technical advice, it is strange that movie critics are prone to doing some very awful stuff when they are given creative reins to make a story of their own. If you don't have the budget to realize your 'story'. Animation or even still cartoons are a good example of a cheap but almost as effective method of delivering your story. Bothe Yahtzee and South Park used animation to attain success from limited resources.

That was kind of cute. My impression was that this wasn't as much Bob's idea as it was Escapist's. I can't imagine that Mr. Chipman would really want to poison the waters of his other work with the vitriol that so often permeates Escapist forums. (Sorry for the sweeping generalization there, other pleasant forum-goers.)

Either that, or he was asked to give a Big Picture opinion of E3, and he had to fill more than three minutes.

Either way, a relatively painless introduction to MovieBob's other works and good opinions all around. I also thought, for a home made show, the editing and timing were good. There were no awkward "this is the same person talking to himself but it just seems like the uncanny valley" moments. That's actually pretty hard to nail down, so that was pretty good.

The opinions were good too (I did love pre-midlife crisis dudebro Anti-Thinker), but they were kind of perfunctory and a product of being asked to do this show rather than wanting to do this show.

Vigormortis:
That...was a chore to watch. I mean no disrespect, but that was thoroughly awful. I get the points you were trying to make throughout, but most of it just came off as pretentious.
I occasionally enjoy watching "The BIG Picture", but this was just painful. I don't think your crossovers and your Game Overthinker show are for me.

Scrumpmonkey:
snip

Jebus, Scrump. You are just on the ball with ninja'ing me in this thread. Save for a few minor points here and there you are mirroring everything I was thinking and was planning to post.

I'm just....gonna go sit over there in the corner and let you do all the leg work. Seems you've got this handled.

No by all means don't let my long-form ramblings deter you from articulating your opinion in this thread.

I'm trying my best not to get drawn into the regular internet arguments so i thought I'd just say everything i felt about the video in long form and be done with it. I'm actually pretty surprised no one has done that hateful forum clogging spew of quoting me line by line and telling me, in great detail, how worthless my opinion is and making a contrary statement about every single point because being right on the internet is more important than life it's self.

I mean sure people trot out the old "You're only projecting your own white, male, penis based hatred onto that 'parody'" but really i think most people can sense that this video, and especially that bit, was a painful misfire on multiple

I really like the idea behind Anti-thinker. Really, he's just what this community needs. In theory.

The problem is that while Bob may be clever and have neat ideas, he doesn't seem to be very good at acting, so the delivery kills it. There's no snap. There's no punch. When I like Bob and he's 2 minutes into the video and I'm checking the timer thinking, "Geez, how long is this gonna be?" that's a sign something has failed. It would probably been a much better draw for his other show if he didn't explain in painstaking detail what the gag for his show was before presenting the gag.

I got 3.4 minutes in, no e3 talk, had to stop the video.

Bob, don't ever do this again please. I'm going to be as blunt and frank as possible; your overthinker "story" stuff is 100% garbage. So please don't bring it to the escapist. It isn't funny or witty or interesting or so bad its good or ironically entertaining or whatever it is you're going for with this kind of thing, its just tedious and annoying and its made this video unwatchable.

Well maybe I'm in the minority, but I quite enjoyed the video, as for those lambasting anti-thinker:
True fact: In his own universe he did online reviews of Gilmore Girls Fan Fiction.

I don't mind a levity and B-Grade production values if it makes the video fun and whilst I think they could be portrayed better, at least having various character supposedly representing the differing view points to engage in actual discussion content isn't a bad idea but yeah I'll admit it needs better structure.

Beyond that, I don't see a problem with a guy who has 3 shows and several columns wanting to do a little bit of in universe creativity.

Ergoemos:
That was kind of cute. My impression was that this wasn't as much Bob's idea as it was Escapist's. I can't imagine that Mr. Chipman would really want to poison the waters of his other work with the vitriol that so often permeates Escapist forums. (Sorry for the sweeping generalization there, other pleasant forum-goers.)

Have you seen his blog? I don't think he would care with all that bile he's recieved at his own site, it's almost as bad as youtube in there.

Too... Much... Cringe!

It would have been great if Bob had just stuck to the normal The Big Picture format.

Please never do that again.

O maestre:

I wish the Escapist had an upvote feature for comments like this.

Besides your technical advice, it is strange that movie critics are prone to doing some very awful stuff when they are given creative reins to make a story of their own. If you don't have the budget to realize your 'story'. Animation or even still cartoons are a good example of a cheap but almost as effective method of delivering your story. Bothe Yahtzee and South Park used animation to attain success from limited resources.

Thanks, I appreciate that. I kinda felt like I was off on a rant there. But mentioning Yahtzee is a great example. I would not be his biggest champion. But he really does put in a lot of effort and thought each week into his programme. It's simplistic as anything. But every single frame is thought about and considered. The least I expect from someone who calls themselves a film maker on their byline is some pride and a passion. I had a look and was sad to see that the poor production values run throughout all his past stuff. It's terrible. I am more disappointed than anything. The worst part is, is how it will probably be smugly blown off in the next episode. As if this audience didn't 'get' it.

Just to stress. I would never expect technical mastery. But every other video contributor on this site gets it. Loading Ready Run, Lisa Foiles, No Right Answer. All miles ahead of the movie guy who should really be on top of this shit.

That was way too good! Being a TGO fan, I enjoyed it quite a bit.

Kenjitsuka:
Thumbs down this week...

Sorry to say, Bob, but I don't think The Escapist should pick up that show once Blip drops it.
It has waaaaay too much backlog to get through, just for starters.
And I didn't really like anything about it. :(

I agree that the Game Overthinker skits have gotten way out of control. When they mesh with the topic at hand they kind of work but more often then not they don't mesh and the shift is annoying.

SnakeoilSage:
MovieBob just assimilated Channel Awesome.

Come on, don't sell Channel Awesome so short. The type of story bits that Doug Walker and his folks do work because he and his crew can act and afford decent (for the internet web series)production values, something Bob still doesn't understand.

Wow, MovieBob, you went from "Competent, If Slightly Pretentious, Movie Reviewer" to "Hypocritical Social Justice Warrior" in one video. That's impressive.

Also, your 'Anti-Thinker' wasn't on-the-nose at all, and great job managing to insult the majority of Call of Duty fans who aren't misogynistic or "insecure in their masculinity", and just play it for, I dunno, fun. But hey, keep pulling out those buzzwords from Baby's First Sociology Textbook, and damn those stupid consumers for being white, male, and middle-class, right? Not at all like you, Bob. Why the hell should businesses try and target their biggest market to make profit? They should do what the consumers want and create an 8-bit platformer featuring a strong, independent, gay, black, transgender woman as its protagonist, which will sell more copies than the PlayStation 2 and Nintendo Wii combined!

Oh, and I have the greatest of sympathy for your high school bullying at the hands of those nasty dudebro jocks whose accents you can totally pull off, what with all the acting skills you picked up from reviewing bad movies and telling us how bad the acting in those movies are. It was a clever piece of satire to base your 'Anti-Thinker' character on it.

Have fun jumping over those sharks. I'll be sure to tune back in when you've pulled your head out of your ass.

This was.... embarrasing to say the least. Everyone else has said all that needs to be said about what wrong with the video(besides the fact that even in 2009 this would have been extremely cringeworthy), but I'll say this: Please Bob, take a good look at what you're doing here and ask yourself if it's really a good idea. PLEASE.

an874:

SnakeoilSage:
MovieBob just assimilated Channel Awesome.

Come on, don't sell Channel Awesome so short. The type of story bits that Doug Walker and his folks do work because he and his crew can act and afford decent (for the internet web series)production values, something Bob still doesn't understand.

It should also be noted that channel awesome despite not being my cup of tea either, is at least entitled to do a crossover since there a different people and different opinions, instead of just strawmen.

MrBaskerville:

Ergoemos:

Have you seen his blog? I don't think he would care with all that bile he's recieved at his own site, it's almost as bad as youtube in there.

Is youtube still bad? I wouldn't know I refuse to get google+ added to my account so I havn't posted there in years. I kind of assumed all the 'bile' would have disappeared.

DANGER- MUST SILENCE:

The problem is that while Bob may be clever and have neat ideas, he doesn't seem to be very good at acting, so the delivery kills it.

This is actually also a really good suggestion for Bob, he should get other people involved in creative process or at the very least the production. Some really solid ideas can come from spitballin with another person, or just having to explain it to someone who wasn't part of the script like an actor.

Lono Shrugged:

O maestre:

The worst part is, is how it will probably be smugly blown off in the next episode. As if this audience didn't 'get' it.

Just to stress. I would never expect technical mastery. But every other video contributor on this site gets it. Loading Ready Run, Lisa Foiles, No Right Answer. All miles ahead of the movie guy who should really be on top of this shit.

It is eerie how much we are in complete agreement, and ironic how this 'content' has sparked a creative fire in many of us users on how to improve on the video series. I think the main problem when it comes to live action is that you need more people, either to help with editing or acting or any other aspect.

A pair of eyes that aren't your own will really help. The exception is Jim Sterlings show, which I think works partly due to the fact that it is basically just him talking, and for the most part it is talking over clips. There is of course the fact that Jim acting is hammy enough to be charismatic. The production quality is also leagues above what we witnessed.

And here I was enjoying this site cuz it distanced me from Bob's grating drivel. I miss when Game Overthinker actually discussed gaming stuff instead of wasting time on stupid skits and strawmen.

I do not notice the difference between 30 and 60 fps. Maybe that is just me.

I don't like your GO show bob. I'm sorry I just don't. I like the big picture and escape to the movies but I guess it can't be for everyone.

soooo you made a crossover with yourself?... hmmm...

If anything the feedback here proves that 4chan isn't out to get him, but that people are legitimately concerned with the quality of Game Overthinker.

Maybe he'll return to the old format now that that illusion is broken.

[Insert everything that everyone above me has already said]
This is why I stopped watching The Game Overthinker, even though it was once one of my favorite discussion shows about video games. This, right here.

I didn't know Bob did the whole talking to himself bit. It looks like it should be good but falls short. It looks like it should be offensive but falls short. It was just kind of was perplexingly boring. The crossover bit kept me watching for the most part. Once the E3 came in I got was he was trying to say about it.

Sorry Bob, not sure what to make of your other stuff. Maybe not my cup of tea.

Soulrender95:
I've spent a few minutes trying to perfectly encapsulate my feelings and express them sufficiently, and I think after really thinking about it and watching it again, my feelings can be summed up as WTF did I just watch? and why did I watch it again?

ok you needed a way to do E3 predictions and make it entertaining, but dear lord that was cringe worthy.
I'm now rather glad I never went to look up the Game Overthinker show and the caricature of dudebro's in "the game anti-thinker" kinda makes me think less of Bob, that was just pitifully unfunny to watch.

If you think just that glimmer of the Antithinker was bad, just be glad you haven't seen the the two years worth of content Bob's put out, most of it of similar caliber to the Antithinker.

Why did you even continue watching it though. The moment he did Wario's Woods I stopped.

Considering when you talk about video games, you tend to spout tumblr grade social justice vitriol, the last thing the escapist should do is pick up your other show. The forums already have enough flame wars start up without you causing one every week from now on.

There's only so much Moviebob I can take in one helping and this was too much, couldn't finish the video. The only reason I checked it out was because of this week's episode of Big Picture and I was curious.

Seemed like a big push for his show under the guise of an E3 run down. The Anti-Thinker was decent at best but the show looks like, as a whole, it would fall flat for me should I try to catch up with it.

If it ever came here, I imagine the forums would be a field of fire for a bit... The guy has two shows, lets have another "There will be Brawl" again! D:

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here