Game of Thrones Season Finale Review: Sitting on the Throne

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Game of Thrones Season Finale Review: Sitting on the Throne

There's a lot going on in Westeros and I'm here to report that it's not all terrible.

Read Full Article

Great season, excelent recap, but... I just cannot understand why they decided to not include THAT last scene! (book readers will know exactly what I mean)

You didn't say anything about Bran, Meerah and Jojen.

And thus, Game of Thrones becomes my favorite television show of all time. As someone who hasn't read a single book, I can say this has been four seasons of absolute perfection, without a single moment I can point to and say 'that was bad.' Words cannot describe how excited I am for season 5.

Saidan:
Great season, excelent recap, but... I just cannot understand why they decided to not include THAT last scene! (book readers will know exactly what I mean)

I know right? When I read that, it shocked every kind of colour out of me. It'll probably be end of ep 2 or 3 next season.

I'm disappointed by the Brienne VS hound fight, it was very "meh". Her vs Jamie felt more satisfying.

Also they screwed around for 7 episodes and tried to cram too much into the last 3. None of the seasons have the pacing of the first one.

Soo... Brother of the King of Dorne killed in the capital by a Lannister knight, Cersei's daughter is in the Lannister hating Dorne, Tywin (The only person holding the Lannisters together) is dead, and Queen Crazy (Cersei, the mother of the under-aged and manipulation-prone king) is now, presumably, the queen regent again. Season 5, please, grace us with your presence. ._.

Also, Tywin's death... That was some epic shit, amirite?

Tywin dying on the shitter was fantastic. He absolutely deserved that.

Now all I want to see is Cersei, Roose, and Ramsay die.

Good recap, but you left out Bran and the skellingtons. Also, is Jaime not freeing Tyrion earlier really a plot-hole? I reckon it makes more sense for him to wait until after the trial-by-combat, since there was still a chance that Tyrion could have won and gotten off legit.

I loved the Brienne vs Hound fight, books be damned. I think it's safe to say that Arya is the real MVP of the show.

Wait... they left WHAT out? I haven't read that far but... Jesus, that seems like kind of a major thing to abandon, and there doesn't seem to be any reason for it.

I mean, did they just want Jaime and Tyrion to stay buddies or something? But isn't this kind of a dick move on Jaime's part then; this may very well be the last he will ever see of his brother and he STILL doesn't tell him the truth. Is George really gonna be cool with them changing such a major event in a characters life?

If they decide that it did go down that way and Jaime just didn't tell him, then that's got to be addressed and soon.

SKBPinkie:
Tywin dying on the shitter was fantastic. He absolutely deserved that.

Now all I want to see is Cersei, Roose, and Ramsay die.

Don't forget The Late Walder Frey.

Clearly the finale should have been two hours. While we are at it, lets just make every episode two hours.

I still can't believe they left that revelation out.
That is THE reason for Tyrions actions after that and they just left it out!
WTF!

Amaror:
WTF!

Yea, doesn't make much sense. I was just sitting there with my bag a chips waiting for the shit to hit the fan. Nada...

Good episode none the less though.

Apart from the obvious 'trying kill your son' thing that Tywin had going for him, I really liked him and wouldn't really call him a villain. Yeah he deserved what he got in the end but he was no worse than some of the many others characters in King's Landing that deserve two crossbow bolts to the torso!

What worries me is that while there are two more books to cover, some of the characters are a bit ahead of the rest of the show, already well into the events of the 4th and 5th books. Most notably, Bran. It seems they'll be a bit short on the plot after one more season for several characters and will have to start getting ahead of the books. To be fair, they'll have to start doing that in another two or three seasons anyway. I wonder how Martin will react to that - will he cooperate with the show's creators, allowing them to spoil his books, or will he withhold information from them, forcing them to fill in the blanks on their own, thereby diverging the show and the books even further...

Amaror:
WTF!

If you're referring to the whore (but not actually) that he was set up with by Jaimie, I don't think they mentioned her at all in the show so it wouldn't have had any weight if they'd revealed it then.

Apart from that, and the lack of LSH reveal, I thought it was a pretty good finale. I actually enjoyed the Brienne vs. Hound fight and thought it made Arya's decision to cross the sea more powerful. Plus, it let the Hound go out (maybe, maybe not) on a more redeeming note.

Edit: Also, I thought the Child looked weird... Not at all what I imagined.

RedDeadFred:

Amaror:
WTF!

If you're referring to the whore (but not actually) that he was set up with by Jaimie, I don't think they mentioned her at all in the show so it wouldn't have had any weight if they'd revealed it then.

Apart from that, and the lack of LSH reveal, I thought it was a pretty good finale. I actually enjoyed the Brienne vs. Hound fight and thought it made Arya's decision to cross the sea more powerful. Plus, it let the Hound go out (maybe, maybe not) on a more redeeming note.

Yes they mentioned her in season 1 and it would have been very easy to just include a dialogue into those jaime and tyrion prison talks were tyrion mentions her and how much he had loved here.
And this reveal is THE reason why Tyrion kills Tywin. He knows Tywin is the only thing keeping the Lannisters together. He hates most of his family, but he loved his brother like crazy. When his brother revealed his betrayal, the only family member he liked, it completely cut the ties he still felt for his family.

Amaror:

RedDeadFred:

Amaror:
WTF!

Yes they mentioned her in season 1 and it would have been very easy to just include a dialogue into those jaime and tyrion prison talks were tyrion mentions her and how much he had loved here.
And this reveal is THE reason why Tyrion kills Tywin. He knows Tywin is the only thing keeping the Lannisters together. He hates most of his family, but he loved his brother like crazy. When his brother revealed his betrayal, the only family member he liked, it completely cut the ties he still felt for his family.

Oh I agree that they could have done it, and probably should have by giving some more lines of dialogue between them as you said (it would have been easy to cut out one of the filler scenes at Craster's or elsewhere). I'm just saying that I wasn't expecting them to do it going into this episode given that they hadn't made a big deal about it in the past,

Awful finale. So many iconic book scenes butchered, character motivations and important moments completely ignored, and the perfect closer to the season was just left out. Will we ever get Stoneheart? I don't know.

For me, as a book reader, it really sums up how unsatisfying this season has been as an adaptation:

It could have been the greatest TV season ever but sadly it fell short, overall a 6/10 season.

I've read the books, but it's been such a long time that many of the details and the sequence of events have been forgotten. Book 3, 4 and 5 are a bit of a blur for me with events mingling with each other.

As such, it's been only when reading this topic that I have a couple of moments like: 'Gosh, I totally forgot about that, weird they didn't put that in.' Especially with the Jaime/Tyrion reveal and LSH (which I had actually completely forgotten about). But when watching the episode, I hardly noticed it. Tyrion's actions seemed perfectly understandable even without the big reveal.

All in all, I actually really liked the finale. Varys sitting next to Tyrion's crate as they sail away and Arya going to Braavos were some very powerful images for me and they give me a good feeling about the next season.

Also, I was surprised at how quickly they concluded Bran's journey to the North. Maybe that's my memory abandoning me again, but I seem to remember pages upon pages of slogging through the snow.

I understand why people are pissed off at the revelation about Tyrion's previous wife being cut but on the other hand I was also worried they wouldn't cut it in the show, because the dynamic between Jaime and Tyrion has changed considerably in the adaptation.

However a lot of Jaime's character development in the books after this moment comes exactly from that revelation. I wonder what they're going to do now?

Greg Tito:
It's not clear why she flip-flopped from her stance before the trial of Tyrion to support her father's decision, but she returns to her strident self.

She didn't change her mind as she never planned to in the first place. In the earlier episode she approached each of the three judges and used various methods to win them over to her side, so that they'd find Tyrion guilty.

Mace Tyrell she flattered and offered a position of power.
For her father she told him she'd be willing to marry Loras.
With Oberyn she appealed to his sympathy as a parent.

You even mentioned this in your review of the episode:

Greg Tito:
You see, I think it's all an act. Cersei's behavior in this episode is all orchestrated to secure allies and seem vulnerable, when she's nothing of the sort.

Greg Tito:
Why the hell didn't he do this before the fight with the Mountain? Oh well, plot holes aside, Jaime sends Tyrion through the secret passages of the Red Keep to meet with Varys and get the hell out of dodge.

If Tyrion's champion won the trial by combat then he'd be free and clear of all charges, which would be much better than him running away in the middle of a trial and being an outlaw. It's not as though they'd execute him on the spot if he failed, so giving him a chance to be "proven" innocent would be worth the risk. I wouldn't really consider it a plot hole.

Frozengale:

Yeah... that should be rectified. Especially since it's the least obvious part. :\

"But what made the fight so compelling was that, at least for me, I wasn't sure who I wanted to win."
Not Brienne, so I was dissapointed at the outcome. But it was epically brutal and realistic indeed!!!
I like how he kicks her between her legs. Fighting dirty normally works, but, like you said, she's not a man!

"But in the end, Arya walks away."
How did that make any sense? He was on her damn list she drones on and on about: people I will kill! And then she doesn't kill him. Brienne (or gravity) did the deed, but she could still have killed him, like she proclaimed she would.
I see how this makes her all "stone cold!" and brutal. But if they wanted to portray that, she could've killed him slow or with a rock etc...

"What will Gregor Clegane become?"
What indeed! I am thinking something in the vein of the Terminator. 'Cause that'd be awesome; Zombie-bodybuilder... thing, mindlessly doing Cersei's bidding and not caring about getting stabbed/shot in the process.

"Why the hell didn't he do this before the fight with the Mountain?"
Uh... DUH! Because if Viper boy had finished when he had the chance he would have been RELEASED, scott free! Then there wouldn't have been a need for something so VERY risky. How can you call that a plothole?!!!

"Will they make love?"
Don't be ridiculous. He's already established as not having an interest in children, and her sister was quite a lot older!
So unless they time skip (obviously not) many years and she's 18+... how would that make sense?

TimeLord:
Apart from the obvious 'trying kill your son' thing that Tywin had going for him, I really liked him and wouldn't really call him a villain. Yeah he deserved what he got in the end but he was no worse than some of the many others characters in King's Landing that deserve two crossbow bolts to the torso!

I'd argue the missing reveal makes him pretty clearly a villain, at least in Tyrion's eyes. He's a villain to me and GRRM then!

Frozengale:

I figured 3400 words was enough. :)

But yeah, I skipped over them completely by accident. Their storyline is so forgettable, even if we lost one of them and Bran gets to meet the Children of the Forest. I just never care about Bran and his seer's journey. Am I the only one? Do you follow his arc as closely as the rest of them?

Greg Tito:

Frozengale:

But yeah, I skipped over them completely by accident. Their storyline is so forgettable, even if we lost one of them and Bran gets to meet the Children of the Forest. I just never care about Bran and his seer's journey. Am I the only one? Do you follow his arc as closely as the rest of them?

I personally dislike the Bran storyline in both the books and the show. I think it was a waste of time to cover him in this already overcrowded episode. That said, I would have liked to hear your feelings on the D&D Skeleton fight and fireball rescue. The wights were completely different than anything we'd seen up to this point, in ether book or show with no reason. It felt so out of place. It reminded me of how they magicked up Pyat Pree in season 2. Just so tonally wrong.

The final Hound/Arya seen bugged me, it bugged me when I read it, and it bugged me when I watched it. To me, it felt like the Hound had, if nothing else, earned a quick death from Arya.

*EDIT*
http://imgur.com/gallery/Bb9SJh4

That link is one of the main reasons I didn't like how The Hound/Arya ended. There was nobody left to ransom Arya to, as far as everyone is concerned, all the Starks are dead or missing, he was protecting her for the sake of protecting her at that point, I'm not saying that he wouldn't have offered her up for ransom at the first available opportunity, but in that moment, she meant more to him than a sack of gold.

Greg Tito:

Frozengale:

No, I don't. Not really. I think Bran's story is pretty dull. Also it seems everyone that has read the books hates Bran's chapters the most just because they are dull. I think you've said that on the Podcast a few times.

Though I will say that his story was at least entertaining this week, mostly because of the battle with the... I know they have a specific name but I don't think they ever say it in the show... the White Walker Lite Skellies.

Amaror:
WTF!

Speaking as someone who hasn't read the books (but I do know what you are talking about) I think his actions made perfect sense. He went to go confront his father in some way. I don't think he had a plan really he was just going to play it by ear but I got the feeling that he wanted to have at least a few final words for his father before he left (doubt he was going to kill him). Then when he saw that Shae had left him for Tywin he just sort of lost it. He killed Shae but I got the feeling it was both in self defense and because he was hurt. After learning that the women he loved had abandoned him for his father that's when he finally decided that his final confrontation with his father would be killing him.

The fact is that putting the thing about his ex-wife into the story at that point would feel clunky and strange. "I'm here to break you out Tyrion...OH BY THE WAY, that girl you were married to, she TOTALLY loved you but father made her leave you." I'm guessing one of the reasons they expounded on Shae so much in the show was because they didn't feel it would be fitting to bring back something that was a very short word of mouth exposition story back in Season One. I'm sure they'll bring it back in some form or another later in the Series, but I thought everything played out quite nicely.

Very disappointed by how much was cut/butchered this season compared to the books.
Coldhands (its totally "the uncle") did not even get so much as a cameo and i got a feeling he would play a larger role in the coming books.
They managed to stay impressively true to the source material for the 1st season but seem to be drifting further away way from the books to the point where they are just making random stuff up.
They really should have stuck with 1 season for each book. Considering the massive following this show has i cant think of a sensible reason for rushing it.

Frozengale:

Speaking as someone who hasn't read the books (but I do know what you are talking about) I think his actions made perfect sense. He went to go confront his father in some way. I don't think he had a plan really he was just going to play it by ear but I got the feeling that he wanted to have at least a few final words for his father before he left (doubt he was going to kill him). Then when he saw that Shae had left him for Tywin he just sort of lost it. He killed Shae but I got the feeling it was both in self defense and because he was hurt. After learning that the women he loved had abandoned him for his father that's when he finally decided that his final confrontation with his father would be killing him.

The fact is that putting the thing about his ex-wife into the story at that point would feel clunky and strange. "I'm here to break you out Tyrion...OH BY THE WAY, that girl you were married to, she TOTALLY loved you but father made her leave you." I'm guessing one of the reasons they expounded on Shae so much in the show was because they didn't feel it would be fitting to bring back something that was a very short word of mouth exposition story back in Season One. I'm sure they'll bring it back in some form or another later in the Series, but I thought everything played out quite nicely.

Fair enough.
For the rest of my argument on why i thought this revelation was fairly important i am going to spoiler the books.
However i will not go any further in the timeline than the series, so i won't be spoiling any of that.
Decide for youself if you want to read it.

In the end, in my mind it just doesn't make any sense that Tyrion kills Tywin because Tywin calls Shae a whore. She obviously is, Tyrion just saw it himself, he just killed her for it!
If it makes sense to you, then maybe it's not as horrible done as i thought it was.
I still think it was pretty badly done, though, because that revelation plays a HUGE role in Tyrions character development. But then again the rape scene showed that they obviously don't have any problem screwing up character development.

Frozengale:

Greg Tito:

Frozengale:

No, I don't. Not really. I think Bran's story is pretty dull. Also it seems everyone that has read the books hates Bran's chapters the most just because they are dull. I think you've said that on the Podcast a few times.

Though I will say that his story was at least entertaining this week, mostly because of the battle with the... I know they have a specific name but I don't think they ever say it in the show... the White Walker Lite Skellies.

I skipped all Brans chapters completely. I seem to have gotten a more fulfilled experience out of reading the books from them. Also means I didn't mind too much when Jon and Him 'almost but didn't' meet. I didn't even know it wasn't in the books!

Tarsus:
They really should have stuck with 1 season for each book. Considering the massive following this show has i cant think of a sensible reason for rushing it.

While I agree this seasons did feel a little rushed, if they kept it one season per book then the last two seasons would have been squished into one. Talk about rushed!

I find that this episode almost more than any other is really showing the differences between book and TV show. Many of the complaints I'm seeing about this episode (outside of the common one regarding it just being too packed and the Jon Snow/Mance/Stannis part having been better placed at the end of Ep.9) come down to "this characters choices don't make sense in the TV show because of how things were in the books!" This isn't the books. The characters and even some details in the plot itself are not the same as they are in the books. Thus they are going to feel differently and have different actions/reactions. I'm not saying that the books haven't done some things better (and some things worse) but I am saying that the characters, especially as we see them in this advanced stage of the storyline told in the TV show, are not the same characters as we see in the books.

Greg Tito:

Frozengale:

I'm not the sort of person who would be comfortable skipping book chapters.. but I've been sorely tempted to skip Bran's. I also have little interest in the details of Dany's chapters either even if I find the overall shape of her storyline interesting. I can definitely see both of them being very important in whatever sort of climax this saga is going to have given what they have going on in their personal plotlines so I pay attention, but do I really care? No, not really.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here