Top 5 with Lisa Foiles: Top 5 Oddly Addicting Games

Top 5 Oddly Addicting Games

Lisa discusses the best games that may need a 12 step program to get over.

Watch Video

Peggle? What is this? Never played it? ... Oh, now with the explanation I know this "genre"!
The oldest "peggle version" I remember is Arkanoid. And there are probably even older ones ... Peggle go home!

Drinking game: Take a shot everytime she says "addicting" instead of "addictive". Is that a regional thing that people say? Addicting could be used as a verb, but not an adjective. Anyway, plastered in 5 mins.

vagabondwillsmile:
Drinking game: Take a shot everytime she says "addicting" instead of "addictive". Is that a regional thing that people say? Addicting could be used as a verb, but not an adjective. Anyway, plastered in 5 mins.

From The Grammarist:

Addictive means causing or tending to cause addiction. The present-participle adjective addicting is technically synonymous with addictive, but there's no reason to use addicting when addictive is a perfectly functional and even versatile word. The trend is to use addicting in reference to nonaddictive things that engender repeated indulgence (e.g., a great television show or a video game), but there's no reason addictive can't fill this role.

The use of addicting in place of addictive is a common peeve among people who care about these things, but it isn't an error, and no doubt there are many readers who have no problem with it.

They describe how I've heard the words differentiated: "addictive" when referring to chemical dependency or harmful psychological attachment, compared with "addicting" when referring to something that is merely a psychologically rewarding indulgence.

The newest Peggle on Xbox One is highly addicting. I actually told my best friend that "i've had enough... anymore and i'll be over everyday which isn't right to you" haha. Because it really is fun, fair, and creative. Plus dem colors man!!

Oddly, I could never get into minecraft. I played it, tried it out... was good. Not bad don't get me wrong. But, it's not addicting to me. Probably because I didn't want to create anything special. I just sort of prefer drawing if it means getting creative. Who knows?

i never, ever understood Minecraft. Still don't.
I have tons of friends on Steam who constantly invite me to play and I just get SO bored.
And i get its one of those 'find your own fun' but to me what I hear is 'find a reason to keep playing'.
And I'm sorry, I just can't get into a game whose sole purpose is to find a reason to exist.
I asked my friend if mining for materials was fun. "No, its awful!"
I asked him if building a giant whatever with moving whatevers is fun. "No, its just a bunch of trial and error for hours and Atl+Tab alot to check a picture to see if you're doing it right"
So what IS fun I asked.
"At the end, looking out over your giant Mario with a lava spewing c*ck."
Okay, so you spent 12 hours of boring, tedious game play to recreate 1 min of joy that could have easily been found googling the exact picture you wanted.
And he told me to go f*ck myself.
Minecraft always seemed like one of those games where if you break it down into its individual parts, not one of them is fun at all. And then if you point that out, everyone realizes they're not having fun and suddenly I'm the bad guy!

No Plants vs Zombies?. I'm dissapoint.

But yeah, I agree with this list for the most part, Tetris should easily be there, but you'd have to count EVERY SINGLE PLATFORM EVER MADE. Literally. Including calculators. No joke.

Also, Meteos on NDS is ungodly addictive. Think of Tetris on steroids, meets Smash Bros. Yup, it's as insane as it sounds, especially in multiplayer.

Geisterkarle:
Peggle? What is this? Never played it? ... Oh, now with the explanation I know this "genre"!
The oldest "peggle version" I remember is Arkanoid. And there are probably even older ones ... Peggle go home!

Peggle is quite different from "Arkanoid clones", I can see it's failry similar, but it's quite different, you drop the ball from the top of the screen, never expecting it to bounce upwards to hit it again, you just shoot the balls you have available and clear out the red bricks and that's it, you don't need to clear every single one of them like in Arkanoid.

So yeah, they're quite different. Also, what a coincidence!, Peggle is free in Origin this month!.

Geisterkarle:

I suppose I can see how it looks like Arkanoid on the surface, since both games are about clearing blocks from a field with a bouncing ball. The difference is that Arkanoid is about keeping the ball from falling in a pit with a "paddle" of some description, where in Peggle you shoot the balls from a cannon at the top of the screen and see how many tiles you can knock-out before it falls into the bit. The end goal is the same (here's a screen with a bunch of tiles, make them go away), but the core gameplay is completely different.

Also, I think the original form of that game was Breakout on the Atari. Though I suppose it's possible there was some pre-console version back when video games could only be found at arcades and bars.

I know you said console games only, but seriously, a list of addictive games that doesn't include Cookie Clicker is fundamentally incomplete.

Never have I wasted more time on a more stupid activity

Oh God, now you made me open it again. More achievements. More random goodies. HELP ME!!

ILO MILO MUSIC :D. Nobody ever knows that game glad to hear it is alive and well!

[snip, redundant post]

I thought Kevin's #1 was going to be Fishy.

http://fishy-flash-game.com/

Off-topic: Blu can kiss my ass.

The "Civilization" series for me. Built around the "just one more turn" concept, its not unusual for me to end up in the morning right after deciding to go for a little casual match of Civilization... last night.

In consoles, I found exploring Paradise City in Burnout to be extremely addictive and cathartic. The city is huge, and there is always another billboard to smash, or another shortcut to discover; and when that fails, there is always crashing into ongoing traffic at 200 miles/hour.

Well, now I know what the infamous Goat Simulator looks like.
The thing about video games, depending on your taste, is that ANY of them can get you addicted, which I define as "still playing by 2 a.m. after hours on end." One game like that, for me, is Evil Genius. You want to get a certain amount of money to buy your next gizmo, or you want to accomplish X Acts of Infamy, or you want to get so many minions upgraded before you feel satisfied enough to save, quit, switch off, and go to f&^%ing bed already. If those gddamn Agents of Justice would just take the hint and Piss Off.

UNHchabo:

vagabondwillsmile:

From The Grammarist:

Addictive means causing or tending to cause addiction. The present-participle adjective addicting is technically synonymous with addictive, but there's no reason to use addicting when addictive is a perfectly functional and even versatile word. The trend is to use addicting in reference to nonaddictive things that engender repeated indulgence (e.g., a great television show or a video game), but there's no reason addictive can't fill this role.

The use of addicting in place of addictive is a common peeve among people who care about these things, but it isn't an error, and no doubt there are many readers who have no problem with it.

They describe how I've heard the words differentiated: "addictive" when referring to chemical dependency or harmful psychological attachment, compared with "addicting" when referring to something that is merely a psychologically rewarding indulgence.

Hm. I can understand that. Though, it would seem that the explaination is giving credence to the word's usage as an adjective only with respect to what has become accepted as a coloquialism, as opposed to indicating why and how it can correctly function as an adjective. The article does call it a "present-participle adjective" but that is making an assumption that ignors the fact that it is a verb. It's just calling it that and sticking it in a sentence in that spot without validating it's position there. I can call poop "gold" all day, but that doesn't make it worth anything on the exchange. Rather, I would argue that the correct use of the word would be as a transitive verb with a direct object: "Sam succeeded in addicting Beth to cocaine Peggle". Look at other words that can take like endings and achieve the adjective / verb result, such as "indicative" and "indicating". Would you ever use "indicating" as an adjective? Ever? No. It isn't the word or part of speach itself that offers an explanation of use - when it comes to saying "addicting" as an adjective, only its - apparent - acceptance as a coloquailism.

Oh well. Either way, you and I could still get drunk together whatching this haha!

I....Ididn'tknowwhatPegglewas.

I'm so glad that Katamari got on the list. The main song alone is addictive enough. It never gets old.

"Don't worry, do your best!"

You forgot Monster Hunter. I JUST NEED THAT RATHALOS PLATE!!!

Monster Hunter IS stupid addictive, but really hard solo. Cha-cha isn't that much help.

lol. she talks about peggle and ironically origin is giving this out for free. played a bit of it and yeah, its actually fun.

Silentpony:
i never, ever understood Minecraft. Still don't.
I have tons of friends on Steam who constantly invite me to play and I just get SO bored.
And i get its one of those 'find your own fun' but to me what I hear is 'find a reason to keep playing'.
And I'm sorry, I just can't get into a game whose sole purpose is to find a reason to exist.
I asked my friend if mining for materials was fun. "No, its awful!"
I asked him if building a giant whatever with moving whatevers is fun. "No, its just a bunch of trial and error for hours and Atl+Tab alot to check a picture to see if you're doing it right"
So what IS fun I asked.
"At the end, looking out over your giant Mario with a lava spewing c*ck."
Okay, so you spent 12 hours of boring, tedious game play to recreate 1 min of joy that could have easily been found googling the exact picture you wanted.
And he told me to go f*ck myself.
Minecraft always seemed like one of those games where if you break it down into its individual parts, not one of them is fun at all. And then if you point that out, everyone realizes they're not having fun and suddenly I'm the bad guy!

I agree if the only fun to Minecraft is making a giant lava jizzing Mario why not just get Daz.

I wasn't surprised at Number 1 as I was playing Minecraft on my other monitor while watching this video...

By the way, I really shouldn't mention this now, but..

PEGGLE IS CURRENTLY FREE ON ORIGIN!!

*hides*

Gosh darn it Lisa, Kevin's too flipping adorable.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here