Escape to the Movies: 22 Jump Street - Comedy Lightning Strikes Twice

Pages 1 2 NEXT

22 Jump Street - Comedy Lightning Strikes Twice

Where most comedy sequels have a tendency to fall flat, 22 Jump Street shines.

Watch Video

Nothing big came out this week?

Not even Think Like a Man Too or Jersey Boys?

I liked 22 Jump Street well enough, but if there's one complaint I have with it, it's that they really overdo it on the "It's just the same as last time!" jokes. By the 20-minute mark I was already thinking "Yeah movie. You're self-aware about the fact that it's a sequel. I get it."

I dunno, the last time Bob told us the comedy was funny (Neghbours), I felt really, REALLY awkward in the cinema, when I, sorry for not using better words because I have none, was facepalming through the whole movie.

I have to disagree with MovieBob and, seemingly, every critic out there on this one.

I really wanted to like this film, but I was disappointed. It was exactly the same as the first one, and yes, I understand that's all part of the joke, but I didn't find it to be a funny one. The constant throwbacks to the first got tired (being exactly like its predecessor is why Hangover Part II sucked), the new additions were good but so infrequent next to the 'Hey, look! It's 21 Jump Street again! It's funny because it's actually a sequel to that film' jokes, and as weird as it sounds, the whole film was predictable. It's a comedy, so predictability shouldn't matter, but I knew what was going to happen from 5 minutes in. Why is that? Oh yeah, because 'Hey look! It's 21 Jump Street again! It's funny because it's actually a sequel to that film'.

It wasn't just me who found it mostly unfunny. The cinema screen I was in was over half-full, and there were only 3 instances that I remember where the majority of people watching the film properly laughed. There was the odd giggle every now and then, but it was mostly a disappointed silence. Don't think I've ever experienced that when seeing a comedy in the cinema, and I saw Meet the freaking Spartans!

Good parts? The already-mentioned-by-MovieBob Ice Cube meltdown, and the credits, which were creative and made a mockery of the film industry in a more original way than the film itself managed to do. Unfortunately, the repetition and unfunny jokes at the film's own expense just made me sad after the first 5 or so times.

Andrew Siribohdi:

Not even Think Like a Man Too

Hold on...

or Jersey Boys?

I was actually curious about that one as well. Though, at this point, I don't think Bob really wants to deal with another Jukebox Musical even if Clint Eastwood is directing it. It's just been getting okay reviews though, nothing good, nothing bad, it's just right in the middle.

It's probably going to be my movie for the weekend. I mean, what else am I going to watch? Think Like a Man Too? *laugh track*

What happen in Credits?

I enjoyed 21 Jump Street more than I thought I would, but I don't really have any desire to see the sequel, even with Bob's recommendation.

However, I just want to say that Shredator (I couldn't tell if it was Shredder or Predator...) at the end of the credits busting out a Frozen quote made me laugh harder than any moment when I saw 21 Jump Street.

Well thanks Bob... you reminded me of the RObocop remake. Geez now I need to find another 8 litres of vodka, and three glasses of bourbon.

Those are the guys that made Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs AND the Lego Movie. Well count me impressed, these guys do good stuff.

Overall I quite liked the movie. Can't say I felt the repetition of the 'it's just like last time!' jokes were a problem, didn't really notice it beyond the first bit.

For the rest, only real complain is with the "hah, it's funny because the way they're describing their partnership makes them sound like they're talking about a gay relationship" jokes. I mean, I don't mind the joke, I'll even admit to finding it funny once, maybe twice if spaced far enough apart. But they do it so often that it stops being funny and starts becoming a drag while you wait for them to finish the routine for nth time.

That truck clip at the beginning? And the football helmet golf cart? Yeah... If that's comedy today, I'm going to go watch Bringing Up Baby and Arsenic And Old Lace again.

It looks pretty funny and I do like Lord Miller but I don't know I just have a hard time finding anything live action funny nowadays. Not sure why.

Saw 21 Jump Street on the TV just last night, watched about five minutes of it, and promptly turned the TV off again.

gridsleep:
That truck clip at the beginning? And the football helmet golf cart? Yeah... If that's comedy today, I'm going to go watch Bringing Up Baby and Arsenic And Old Lace again.

My thoughts as well, aside from the choice in alternatives. Then again, I wonder if my sense of humor might not be decaying, as I've not found many modern comedy flicks to be very enjoyable.

Please tell me that's not shredder. Michael Bay, Stop!...Bay! Stahp!!!

Mister K:
I dunno, the last time Bob told us the comedy was funny (Neghbours), I felt really, REALLY awkward in the cinema, when I, sorry for not using better words because I have none, was facepalming through the whole movie.

Neighbors (Or Bad neighbors in countries that got the long running and much loved Aussie soap) was Bob trying to root for a movie to go against the amazing Spiderman 2. It was a bad comedy and a baffling review. 22 Jump Street is, thankfully, a great movie. Bob on the other hand seems to be turning into an even more patchy critic.

When someone can't tell if you would recommend the awkward mediocrity that was Bad Neighbors over 22 Jump Street then you have a communication problem.

But this review is what you do best Bob, what makes people have respect for you. Stick to that. No more prolonged, badly written dissertations about how you see rape everywhere, no more poorly researched and really oddly framed sideways swipes against the boodeyman of MRAs and please, for the love of God, just drive the Over-thinker and that talking to yourself shtick, put a bullet in the back of it's head and bury it in shallow grave. It was like the deformed child of an unfinished Spoony experiment video and a social justice tumblr blog. There is a reason Twitch canceled it. It is physically painful to watch.

(Neighhhhhhbours, every body need bad neighhhbors. With a big missunderstanding, we can fail to make you laaaaugh. That's when bad Neighhhbours becomes, a bad fiilllmmm.)

Well the second worst scene from Bad Neighbours was shown in that review. I guess I can assume the rest of this film will be good because that scene didn't really entertain me.

While I'm not sure I'd put 22 over 21 in terms of how funny it was, I do have to recommend 22 regardless. In fact, I'd recommend 22 purely on the basis of Mercedes (the blonde that Jonah Hill's character is fighting in the trailer). She is so damn hilarious in this movie and absolutely steals every single scene she's in.

"It was good and hilarious!" That's what you said about Neighbors, Bob.

I just got back from seeing it. It wasn't great but still pretty funny.

Finally Bob and I are on the same page again! Took a few months, I tell ya...

Go see this, it's hilarious.

Also Bob please don't "beep" out the curse words, it's fucking annoying and only serves to draw more attention to them anyways and it makes me feel like I'm watching some low quality reality tv (EDIT huh, just realized what an oxymoron that is). Especially when you are talking about a movie that doesn't shy away from f-bombs itself (and isn't PG-13 anyway). It's not like this website has anything against cursing (Yahtzee...).

Clint Eastwood directing is considered "not anything big"?

How bout a review, or Intermission or whatever you have, for The Signal? 22 already is going to do alright, why not push the indie-scifi?

I would take your word and check it out... but... yeah. Never liked or cared for Jonah Hill and not going to change my thoughts on that now since I still find him to be generally just not funny. Didn't see the first. Probably won't see this one either.

I was kinda hoping you'd have reviewed Jersey Boys to be honest.

I'm not a huge fan of the 2n Jump street movies, they just don't look as funny as portrayed. I feel like I'd go see it and just get a heh at their jokes, and i dont really have ane njoyment for movies that make fun of themselves anymore unless its something outlandish like Mel Brooks' works. That, nad it just seems like a dumb movie I guess. I got the same feeling of enjoyment from its trailers as i got from A Million Ways to Die in the West.

and ignoring shredder (who looks like Edward Scissor Hands if he went in the agressive fuck the world punk direction), I just can't watch planet of the ape movies. At least, not one wehre its the original story. I just can't believe that even if you got every primate in the world to go against humans they'd sstand a chance, even with a heightened intelligence. I'm all for the original planet of the apes, hell I'm even down with the Mark Walhberg one), but I can't take this new series. Its just... it makes me give a head shake and a face palm. Then again I've always seen the cop out of it kills humans but helps Apes as incredibly weak to base a movie on if you're going to take it seriously.

Was that Shredder and Splinter in that still image...?

Uh.
Could anyone explain to me how 21 Jump Street was a good movie? I giggled a few times in the first ten minutes, but the 30 minutes after were so awkward that I got up and left the cinema long before the movie was finished. It's possible that all of the funny parts came straight after we walked out, of course, but somehow I doubt it.

Wow. I really need to buy that Dawn of the Planet of the Apes poster

Jacob Bawden:
why not push the indie-scifi?

Because it's Indie Sci-Fi?

Anyway, I've thought the highlight of the film was Ice-cube having a freak out (not saying why) the highlight of the film.

Iceklimber:
What happen in Credits?

There are some really funny jokes about how Hollywood franchises just go on and on even after they have ran out of good ideas for the series, merchandising rated R films into things for kids, and actor contract disputes. Not going to go into details and ruin the jokes, but I'm happy I stayed for them.

Glad to see him review 22 Jump Street since 21 didn't get a review the first time around. Absolutely agree with him that this should have been awful, but instead proved to be a bunch of fun. Just as the first one should have sucked, but really, there were some great stuff in it (yes, a lot of stupid stuff, but the stuff that was great was really great). Glad he didn't decide to waste time telling us bad movies are bad. It's only interesting if they're *really* bad (i.e. Transformers & Green Lantern), and this week's batch looked just the 'meh' kind of blah.

dupe

Ignore - dupe post

Conner42:

Andrew Siribohdi:

Not even Think Like a Man Too

Hold on...

or Jersey Boys?

I was actually curious about that one as well. Though, at this point, I don't think Bob really wants to deal with another Jukebox Musical even if Clint Eastwood is directing it. It's just been getting okay reviews though, nothing good, nothing bad, it's just right in the middle.

It's probably going to be my movie for the weekend. I mean, what else am I going to watch? Think Like a Man Too? *laugh track*

I feel like that's the groove Clint Eastwood has settled into a director ever since Flags of Our Fathers/Letters from Iwo Jima.

Everything he's done has just been, "meh", predictable and forgettable.

Jasper van Heycop:
Finally Bob and I are on the same page again! Took a few months, I tell ya...

Go see this, it's hilarious.

Also Bob please don't "beep" out the curse words, it's fucking annoying and only serves to draw more attention to them anyways and it makes me feel like I'm watching some low quality reality tv (EDIT huh, just realized what an oxymoron that is). Especially when you are talking about a movie that doesn't shy away from f-bombs itself (and isn't PG-13 anyway). It's not like this website has anything against cursing (Yahtzee...).

My understanding is that he'd need an agegate otherwise? And agegates tend to drive down traffic or something? I dunno, Bob has always bleeped out his swears, and he's often referred to Escape to the Movies as a "family show" (??) so whatever. I roll with it.

Uuum....maybe I'm just totally out of it, but I did not laugh once at any of the mini clips Bob added to the review, which I guess he did to emphasize the "this is so funny" parts. In fact, I found them kind of lame. Forget the rest of the recommendation. If these are highlights, then I'm glad I'll skip this. For comparison, the "Ted" review already made me giggle, and the movie in the end was thoroughly enjoyable.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here