Jimquisition: Ubisoft - A Sad History of PC Failures

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

this is all a bad joke, right? A bad, tasteless joke? Right? Ubisoft can't possibly be this much a bunch of moronic bastards, right? No?

. . . Is there ANY game publishers out there that we can still trust? At all?

i definitively recognize Jim's catchphrase more than whatshisname's cap

if ubi want to have its own distribution platform, fine, but atleast freaking try, at this point even origin is better, atleast you get some free games

i think this says it all.

C'mon Jim enough is enough! you have rightfully criticized Ubisoft, EA, Square Enix, Capcom and Konami but you have to share the hatred!

Take Two, Activision and Bethesda need some of your dedicated love as well over a whole video (rather than just a line).

Ironically Child of Light is a good PC port. Of course the team that makes the niche game cares more about their users than the bloated AAA teams.

SomeGuySomewhereHere:
I'll just leave this here.

http://whatifgaming.com/the-division-developer-insider-we-already-downgraded-a-few-things

Wow, this is despicable.

"a lot of push coming from publishers to not make the experience so different on consoles as to alienate people into thinking that next generation is not as powerful as PC"

Average PC hardware is better than the "next gen" consoles? YOU DON'T SAY! Gotta keep the stupid people ignorant, or else they might notice something is amiss!

Zachary Amaranth:
Ubisoft has a point. It's a fact[1] that Ubisoft PC titles see a 207% rate of piracy. We haven't seen piracy this rampant since CD Projekt's claim that the Witcher was pirate 272 trillion times[2].

Evonisia:
I am instantly reminded of that thread from a few months ago asking why people hated EA more than Ubisoft. Things a bit more clear on why that question was asked.

In fairness, almost every issue with EA hits every platform, while most of these are PC-oriented. It's very easy to see why EA gets more hate.

Xman490:
Another instance of Uplay shutting down: December 2012.

In fairness, they probably didn't bother because the world was ending. At least, until Assassin's Creed became too popular to end the human race for.

ResonanceSD:
But if people stop buying PC Ubisoft games, then I can't keep laughing at the same people who get excited about a ubi game, preorder it, get disappointed, FORGET ALL OF THIS, and do it again.

Plus, they'll just blame hat 319%[3] piracy rate anyway.

The beauty of a presuppositional position in which everyone who wants your stuff is either a loyal customer or a filthy fucking pirate.

So yeah, if people keep buying, at least there will be entertainment.

Damn, Zach, you have some truly iconic zingers today!

OT: This is why I don't get PC versions of whichever Ubisoft game I'm n the mood for. For me, it's the home consoles or nothing. Now I wonder if any of the WATCH_DOGS mods will be available for the PS4 version.

[1] DISCLAIMER: fact may be Factette, imitation fact-like susbtance
[2] I know I pulled that number out of my ass, but they pulled theirs out of their own asses, so I think it's fair
[3] The rate has actually managed to go up since I started writing

I don't know what's a bigger failure, Ubisoft's PC ports or their PR department.

Well the Splinter Cell games have always been great and I've enjoyed them.

I hate Ubisoft for their business practices, and have for a long time. Everything Jim says is 100% true. That said I personally have to wonder if this sudden criticism is largely connected to them not including a playable female character in the upcoming Assassin's Creed sequel. A complaint which largely seems to stem from a sense of entitlement, which in turn stems from Ubisoft creating a female lead for "Assassin's Creed 3: Liberation", and of course non-white protagonists in both "Freedom Cry" and the original "Assassin's Creed". An issue which amounts to biting the hand that feeds you, as it's kind of ridiculous to basically attack a company for exercising creative freedom when it doesn't happen to match your particular political agenda, while otherwise praising it when it does. Ubisoft's defense of it's choices was fairly reasonable when you actually think about it (it's not just a matter of re-skinning a model to do it right, you pretty much need to animate it seperatly and adjust the entire play environment to match those animations... a few proportional inches in character height can make a huge difference, and we've seen this in other games like the problems with fitting both gender models onto vehicles in "The Old Republic Online"). At the end of the day though, no justification would have been accepted by those leading the attack.

I mean sure, by all means attack Ubisoft for it's business practices, but let's be honest, most of this is a giant re-hash/reminder of things Ubisoft has done wrong in the past, timed in accordance with a perceived political slight.

My basic attitude is that for all it's failings Ubisoft was one of the companies doing the right thing here. It was doing female and "minority" leads occasionally, when the writers felt it fit. A movement pushing for occasional variation should be lionizing Ubisoft's design choices, showing that you can see these things done every once in a while, without it basically changing all games. In short occasional variation won't "take the games you like away from you" so to speak. The problem here of course is that things are becoming exactly the kind of problem that these issues were not supposed to be. Having created something like this in the past, it's becoming viewed as a right that it be inserted into every game, and taken as an offense when it is not.

Perhaps the biggest irony of this entire sequence of events, is that gamers talk about how they want to keep corporate panels away from video game design and let creators have a free hand. On the other hand a lot of the people making these same claims are of demanding those panels insert political correctness (playable female options, minorities, homosexual relationships) into these games, and pretty much take the creative freedom away from the writers. I mean if the writers are straight for example and decide to write only hetero romance options and straight characters that's not all that unusual or weird. Demanding this guy re-write and re-characterize everything so it could all "go gay" seamlessly is exactly the kind of thing we're supposed to be getting away from. Ditto for inserting token characters, or trying to write everything in a gender-neutral fashion. The idea is to give writers the freedom to do what they want, and not have corporations quash people for saying want to write minority or female leads, not to force creators into a narrow alley of political correctness. Given that Ubisoft was the company that did a game featuring an Arab protagonist killing white guys during one of the most controversial periods of West-Middle East conflict (I myself commented on it), one can't exactly accuse them of cow-towing to some kind of mainstream demand. Heck at the time Franco-Muslim relations were in the gutter domestically (in their own country) as well.

Who knows, maybe I'm reading into this too much. The bottom line is that the timing of this week's Jimquisition and it's subject matter is uncanny. Everything said here is fair, and a separate episode does sort or present it as a separate set of issues, but basically if you decide to drag a company through the mud every time they do something you don't care for politically or socially, due to a feeling of entitlement. It discourages companies to want to work with you, and hurts what your supposed to be standing for.

Now, I do understand the whole issue with the "hidden E3" settings, however right now this seems like a "Jihad" against Ubisoft without enough information. Yes, there were things edited out in the game, but as modders will tell you, you find a lot of things like this with games all the time which is why modders dig. This news is comparatively speaking 15 minutes old, Ubisoft might be being honest. How many people have heavily played Watch Dogs with these settings (say doing all quests and playing the full game) and of course what kinds of computers were they using? All told these settings might work good with certain PCs, but not so well with others, and might actually do some damage under prolonged usage. It's possible that with certain PC configurations you might do damage after dozens of hours of play
or whatever.

I *HATE* defending Ubisoft of all companies (do not get this wrong), but honestly I think more information is needed here. This includes coming from Ubisoft itself which seems to be holding it's cards close to it's chest as much as it is lying (a problem with the gaming industry in general, it's hard to tell what is a lie when they generally won't tell you anything of substance). I can't help but wonder if anyone would be so... assertive... about this with so little information if it wasn't for these other issues.

In all likelihood Ubisoft is probably lying, but at the same time, at this stage in the game does anyone really know enough about the long term effects of these settings across a wide-range of PC types to be able to tell? Of course at the same time one can question Ubisoft's policies of showing what they knew were damaging graphics levels during E3 as a demo with a throw-away PC (or one perfectly tuned for it), but that's a slightly different flavor of slime, and is of course dependent on them knowing about this at the time they did the demos.

Catasros:
this is all a bad joke, right? A bad, tasteless joke? Right? Ubisoft can't possibly be this much a bunch of moronic bastards, right? No?

In simple terms

about sums it up.
Game publishers are dicks. All of them.

You forgot a lot of the problems with Far Cry 3 on PC. It has a ton of technical issues for people who have rigs that can run Crysis 2 with no problems.

Also, I Am Alive eventually came out on PC. I think that they eventually brought the real Ghost Recon: Future Soldier game to PC sometime after that who fee-to-pay bullshit game didn't make any money and was all-around awful.

Meanwhile, the ONLY two Ubisoft games I was interested in the past decade, Prince of Persia 2008 and Beyond Good & Evil, STILL have no follow-ups to their cliffhanger finales.

But we've gotten eight Assassin's Creed games in 6 years.

Haven't bought a single Ubisoft game, not one.
Played through Far Cry 3, Assassin's Creed 1/2/Brotherhood/3 and 4 at a friend's house, that's all the games from Ubisoft that I'm actually interested in. (besides Child of Light but that's a completely different scenario)

Now I'm suffering from AC franchise fatigue, so I won't be paying them a single cent in the future as well, I feel proud.

Can anyone enlighten me on how I'm supposed to embed videos? (Edit: nevermind found out)

Thank God for that iconic catchphrase. Although I'd venture to say that your black coat & shirt w/ red tie is as iconic, if not iconicer.

Trishbot:
Meanwhile, the ONLY two Ubisoft games I was interested in the in the past decade, Prince of Persia 2008 and Beyond Good & Evil, STILL have no follow-ups to their cliffhanger finales.

But we've gotten eight Assassin's Creed games in 6 years.

Could it be?

Could we possibly have a "Call of Duty" syndrome in our hands?

The sad truth of the matter is that it is actually the PC gamers that cannot trust the game publishers. Publishers simply do not care about PC gamers. It is as if Ubisoft made it intentionally difficult to play their games on PC so people give up and just buy it on console...

I honestly believe that Ubisoft's plan was to release a patch in October that unlocks these settings to make the game more relevant and make the WiiU version of the game look especially crap compared to the PC.

Awesome vid, Jim! I'm not the biggest fan of Ubi (they have a few games I like, but I generally don't play many Ubi games). It's nice to see their shit getting called out when they have been having issues for some time and just don't quite know how to get their shit together.

canadamus_prime:

Catasros:

In simple terms

about sums it up.

Well then. Can't argue with mr Croshaw. So when's the Escapist creating it's own game publishing company?

Jim Sterling's pretty damn iconic.

Xman490:
Another instance of Uplay shutting down: December 2012.

There was also the time last year (googling shows it happened literally a year ago) that Uplay got hacked. Just to complete the Uplay is complete shit on a biscuit theme going.

Also fantastic ending Jim. Iconic statements for everyone!

canadamus_prime:

Catasros:

In simple terms

about sums it up.

Explain CD Projekt Red and Gog.com then.

So the lesson here is don't play Ubisoft games on PC. You are better off with console versions of their games.

It's weird. Every modern 3D Ubisoft game runs like a pile of ass on my pc, but the 2D UbiArt engine is so smooth. At least they can't take the newer 2D Raymans away from me...right? D:

Also, I'm still waiting for Beyond Good & Evil 2 Ubisoft. Make it so it can be the last non-UbiArt game of yours I ever buy.

That declaration "Iconic catchphrase!" hit just the right bone, and I'm still laughing. The whole video is excellent, of course, but that line cracks me up.

Another:
It's weird. Every modern 3D Ubisoft game runs like a pile of ass on my pc, but the 2D UbiArt engine is so smooth. At least they can't take the newer 2D Raymans away from me...right? D:

Also, I'm still waiting for Beyond Good & Evil 2 Ubisoft. Make it so it can be the last non-UbiArt game of yours I ever buy.

Will never happen. Women are too difficult to animate. If they make that game it will most certainly have a new male main character.

Ubi's affair with DRM was quite interesting though:

- the famous StarForce in 2004
- 3 completely DRM-free games released (on DVD) in 2007
- then the always-online DRM in 2010

It was unfortunate that the DRM-free-ness of PoP 2007, HAWX and that other Tom Clancy game wasn't advertised. Maybe some people would have bought them just out of principle, just like people buy The Witcher and other GOG and Humble Bundle games now.

Of course I no longer buy or play Ubi games since I won't support their DRM, but if they'd ditch that (which they won't), I'd be happier with their games than with most others AAA publishers.

Fyffer:

Another:

Will never happen. Women are too difficult to animate. If they make that game it will most certainly have a new male main character.

Well shit.

Wait, Child of Light had a female main! Beyond Good & Evil 2 as 2D UbiArt game confirmed!

Have they even shown the pocket watch ingame yet? This is just ridiculous.

But yeah Ubisoft can be pretty garbage at times. A lot of times actually.

Wait, Aiden has a baseball cap? All I can remember about him is his coat. Does that mean the coat is iconic?

Yeah... it is rather annoying when a publisher blatantly treats PC gamers like second class citizens.

Jim Sterling, how dare you tar the great Richard O'Brien by association with the horrible PR doublespeak of Ubisoft's charlatans?

Despicable, sir, I'll see you hanged.

Started off with "...DRM ....in 2010", damn I was hoping for poetry!

Thanatos2k:

canadamus_prime:

Catasros:

In simple terms

about sums it up.

Explain CD Projekt Red and Gog.com then.

GoG is not a publisher, they're a online retailer or digital distribution outlet. As for CD Project Red... jury's still out on them.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here