The Steam Sales Cometh

Pages 1 2 NEXT

The Steam Sales Cometh

It's not that bad in retrospect.

Read Full Article

I bought games, that I already own on consoles, just because they were so cheap and I could play them on PC.

Y U DO DIS TO ME STEAM?!

Turns you into a fully concious undead being, who doesn't need to eat, sleep or poop. Meaning you can play games 24/7 without forming a massive bloodclot. Nicccce

I like the one off to the side that says -33% :Still too much. All I could think of when I saw that were the Spore and Aliens Colonial Marines deals that keep popping up during the sales

It's kinda funny how the cycle goes. When you first switch from buying console games to buying Steam sale games you think "$15 for a AAA game from two years ago? Wow!"

Then after a few years you start saying things like "$7.50 for a AAA game that released last year? I'll wait 'til it's $5."

The alpha for Dinosaur Zombie wasn't that bad. I heard for the next update they're adding in Nazi Raptors. :3

Falterfire:
It's kinda funny how the cycle goes. When you first switch from buying console games to buying Steam sale games you think "$15 for a AAA game from two years ago? Wow!"

Then after a few years you start saying things like "$7.50 for a AAA game that released last year? I'll wait 'til it's $5."

Lol, yeah.. I spent an hour debating if I should pick up Skyrim: Legendary edition at -%60 or hold out for a flash sale that might get me -%80. Years ago I would have jumped immediately for the chance to get a great game for $14, pretty silly I almost risked it just to save another 4 or 5 bucks.

Why isn't there a modern Marble Madness? If I have to put up with a dumb cops/robbers theme, that's fine with me.

AdagioBoognish:

Falterfire:

Lol, yeah.. I spent an hour debating if I should pick up Skyrim: Legendary edition at -%60 or hold out for a flash sale that might get me -%80. Years ago I would have jumped immediately for the chance to get a great game for $14, pretty silly I almost risked it just to save another 4 or 5 bucks.

My deliberations on that were worse since I already own Skyrim and have played like 140 hours. I really want to re-roll a new character and play through the DLC, but I can't wrap my head around the DLC pricing. The cheapest way to get it would be to actually buy the Legendary version. I guess I'd have a copy of Skyrim to gift to someone then, but it just feels so wrong to buy the base game twice.

Now, if it was $10. Well, that's a no-brainer now. Somehow. I think I made the wrong decision.

Of course, my pain is eleviated a bit by the fact that I did actually buy like 200 hours worth of stuff during the sale, and have like 500 hours of stuff in my library. I just started playing Europa Universalis 4 and haven't even touched the Crusader Kings 2 DLCs I own (after 100+ hours in the base game).

Well, game reviews are TEH BIAS, but numbers (especially percentage signs) don't lie.

The minus sign and the percentage sign manipulate the heats and souls of mortal men (and women).

STEAM SALES

Because every so often Gabe n needs to SHow GoG.com and Origin how it's done. Also he needs a new bigger yaght, to carry his other yacht.

Last week:

"Marble Madness: Hardline looks pretty interesting though."

This week:

"Marble Madness: Hardline looks pretty interesting though."

I can't tell if there was a formatting goof or if that's the joke. xD

Then you make another reassessment when you realize its just some early access shit.

1. Set the price aside for a second. Do you actually want to play this game?
2. Profit

Falterfire:

One day 1$ is still not low enough.

I hear they're putting a lot of work into the sequel. I'm waiting until its out so I can have both at the same time!

Steam sales' been a bit shit this year. I've bought nothing at all so far.

wooty:

How many of the games on sale do you own from previous sales?

Be honest...

Daystar Clarion:
I bought games, that I already own on consoles, just because they were so cheap and I could play them on PC.

Y U DO DIS TO ME STEAM?!

Something I try to avoid. Strangely enough some games I've gotten from Playstation Plus have undermined that policy. I bought BioShock Infinite right before it went free on Plus. Same happened with Borderlands 2. Thankfully they are free the second time.

What I don't get about the Steam sale is that Color team thing. While I can understand a team winning by making more badges, what I don't see is how each time a team wins it's by such a huge margin. One score was like 500,000 and the rest only had 100,000.

Lono Shrugged:

wooty:

How many of the games on sale do you own from previous sales?

Be honest...

Honestly? Just the one, X:com Enemy Unknown. My PC gaming collection mostly consists of all the Total War series and The Witcher 2. Neither of which I bought in the sales.

Though theres still time yet I guess.

I admit I fell for this the 1st time I saw a steam sale. I'm proud to say that I've grown as a person after that. Last year I pretty much skipped all sales events in order to wrap up some of the games I bought earlier on (I still havent played several adventure games in my game list) and this year I have only payed for 2 games so far.

Skyrim for 4.99 (Elder Scroll games are too long for me to pay extra to make them even longer not knowing if I'll ever get to play the dlc) and Bioshoc Infinite for 8.99 (no dlc for same reason). It felt good.

Interesting how the Necrotizing whatever melted the skin and muscle off Erin's bones, but left her hair intact. She got ripped off.

Darth_Payn:
Interesting how the Necrotizing whatever melted the skin and muscle off Erin's bones, but left her hair intact. She got ripped off.

It's early access. They'll add that in a patch later. Read the description on the game's page.

Pretty much on the money. I've already got probably closer to 20 games I've never even installed lying around in my backlog. Though now I got the Hammerlock DLC and a bunch of costume packs for next to nothing. Goddamn big, juicy green percentage signs, making us all sheep.

Not bought much, only thing so far is Dark Souls: Prepare to laugh edition. How can people praise this game when the developers are obviously incompetent and can barely put a game together, it doesn't bode well for the game itself.

I had to mod it to stop it running and looking about as good as Morrowind, then I had to sort the controller out because it randomly throws a fit with the 360 pad drivers for no real reason. After all that I cannot be bothered to play it because it cannot be anything other than shit, they can barely nail a game together so its going to be rubbish.

J Tyran:
Not bought much, only thing so far is Dark Souls: Prepare to laugh edition. How can people praise this game when the developers are obviously incompetent and can barely put a game together, it doesn't bode well for the game itself.

I had to mod it to stop it running and looking about as good as Morrowind, then I had to sort the controller out because it randomly throws a fit with the 360 pad drivers for no real reason. After all that I cannot be bothered to play it because it cannot be anything other than shit, they can barely nail a game together so its going to be rubbish.

Don't immediately pre-judge the original console game, by the terrible port which was done by another team, more likely a completely different company.

Sande45:
1. Set the price aside for a second. Do you actually want to play this game?
2. Profit

I add all the games I'm interested in to my wishlist as they come out. Then when sales come, I give myself a set budget and buy only the games from my list.
There is a secondary budget of 10 euro for games that aren't on my list.
Works out great, especially this sales since I didn't wast any of my money.

Bought 2 games, both less than 10 euro combined, still have 4 euro left from the dota2 courier I sold.

This sales are shit... which could be actually a good thing.

I've bought so many games for a tenner I'm sure I've done a number on my bank balance. And then I bought Transistor for full price like a pro.

Whelp. At least I actually bought good games, so I can be a happy poor person.

the same story every year, so many sales... so many games.....

Daystar Clarion:

Y U DO DIS TO ME STEAM?!

I re-bought my absolute favorite game now that it's like 20$ with all the DLC (even the stuff I previously missed) included, and do not regret it even slightly. Apart from my work suffering a bit as I work my way through punching Handsome Jack in his goddamned face with an exploding turret again.

Hell, starting over without even the badass ranks is actually bloody fun, too, apparently.

Tsaba:
the same story every year, so many sales... so many games.....

Why can't people see when an image's aspect ratio is wrong??

Please update your GIF collection with this version:

Alfador_VII:

J Tyran:

Don't immediately pre-judge the original console game, by the terrible port which was done by another team, more likely a completely different company.

Well okay I wont pre-judge the original console game but its already well established console gamers generally have lower standards anyway so the fact the game barely works should be no surprise, also port is a charitable term really.

I have seen console emulators that run better than From software have managed with this, the sequel apparently isn't all that much better.

Steam Sales always make me feel pretty good about my willpower when I read everyone else's comments on them

I'd just wish Steam could sell me some free time or maybe Gaben could at least call into work for me, I don't have time to play all this shit.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here