Zero Punctuation: Murdered: Soul Suspect

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Murdered: Soul Suspect

This week, Zero Punctuation reviews Murdered: Soul Suspect.

Watch Video

Didn't I see something related to this game on the Escapist before?
I appreciated the Dresden Files reference though.

Seems like a repeat of Dark Void but in a different genre, and gameplay is reversed with story in terms of what's good and what's not.

Well I might pick it up when the price goes down, I do love me some ghosting about activities. And I also need to play Dark Void through to the shitty ending.

Was that Condemned 2 box cover an alternative version or is the colour palette just swapped out?

Jon Pertwee, as doctor who, once used the phrase "Whale of a time" not as a pun. He was doing it to annoy an evil computer, though.

Does anyone else want to see a game where using Irish boy band charm is a mechanic? Ok, probably would be pretty bad, but bad in a new and inventive way.

There wasn't anything particularly memorable about this review, but it was good for the usual 5 minutes these things run. I kind of liked the joke that involved the word nazgul in some way that I already forgot.

I don't really have anything to say about Murdered: Soul Suspect but I had to come on and say YAHTZEE REFFERENCED THE DRESDEN FILES!

I just really love the Dresden Files and my love of yahtzee just went up 10 levels (and yes I know that makes no sense)

But, you're still our favorite hypocrite, Yahzee! :)

I still find Hidden Object games to be the best detective games...even if they sometimes require you to carry a red slipper you found in the first five minutes until the end of the game for you to "find" said slipper of critical use.

thaluikhain:
Jon Pertwee, as doctor who, once used the phrase "Whale of a time" not as a pun. He was doing it to annoy an evil computer, though.

Exactly, you had to go back over 40 years to think of one.

What's wrong with ghost trick's title?

I didn't even know this game existed until I saw this video, despite its flaws I might one day give it a shot, if only because I generally like murder mystery games.

...so it's a Blackwell adventure game with more shiny. At least you get to play as the ghost. He's usually the more interesting character.

Yahtzee slagging on the new consoles is getting to be as tedious as when Moviebob would crowbar an attack on The Amazing Spider-Man into every video regardless of how ill-fitting it was. Especially since the 7th console generation was among the darkest times in the history of video games and we should all be celebrating the fact that it's finally over.

I'm sorry, and correct me if I'm wrong, but all I'm getting out of this is one question: is Yahtzee married?

Nooners:
I'm sorry, and correct me if I'm wrong, but all I'm getting out of this is one question: is Yahtzee married?

he's either married too Silent Hill 2 or Saint's Row 2... not sure about an actual women though, it's doesn't say he's married on his wiki page

A ghost of a guy in the hat and a redhead medium girl solve crimes? Sounds horribly similar to the Blackwell series of point-and-clicks.

Nothing wrong with a hat and vest combo. As long as you don't go the hipster route of adding torn pants or some other bollocks.

OT: I never really was interested in this game. Thank you Yahtzee, for reminding me that I can continue not remembering that it exists.

Webb Myers:
...so it's a Blackwell adventure game with more shiny. At least you get to play as the ghost. He's usually the more interesting character.

I'm willing to bet Ronan is Captain Boring himself compared to Joey (because male characters in AAA games usually are boring motherfuckers).

I'm surprised he didn't drew any lines with Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective for the DS. Unless I missed something. Great episode nonentheless.

Second week in a row where the last bit nearly killed me. I think Yahtzee wants me to die.

Gizmo1990:
I don't really have anything to say about Murdered: Soul Suspect but I had to come on and say YAHTZEE REFFERENCED THE DRESDEN FILES!

I just really love the Dresden Files and my love of yahtzee just went up 10 levels (and yes I know that makes no sense)

Yeah, it wasn't even a particularly big point, and yet....

RealRT:

Webb Myers:

I'm willing to bet Ronan is Captain Boring himself compared to Joey (because male characters in AAA games usually are boring motherfuckers).

Well, he's not as witty as Joey, that's for sure, but IMO Ronan is pretty likeable as a character.

I pretty much agree with this review. Killing ghosts is annoying, especially when they spawn in the same area AGAIN, after when you go back there after a plot event. The whole deduction thing is fine, but could use a little more oomph, and story is pretty good. And since this game is whole about the story, it's definitely worth checking out, but not for 60$ tbh. I suggest waiting for the discount (actually it's on the Steam Sale right now if I recall correctly).

Clowns man! CLOWNS!
That may be the scariest thing he's ever done.

In all seriousness, I'm finding it hard to keep up with these games. I've never heard of Murdered:SS. I'm feeling somewhat left out without an Xbone of PS4

I would like to throw in that I also love the Dresden Files. I love it when something I really like mentions another thing that I really like. ;D

Having read his books, both of which are in the same general wheelhouse as Jim Butcher (heavy speculative fiction drama garnished with witty banter and lot of references), it's not surprising to see Yahtzee reads the Dresden Files.

That said, I am still geeking the hell out about it.

Nice Dresden File reference.

Just came on to say that the game was part of the Summer Sale a day or so ago- odd timing.

Isn't it usually around this time of year Microsoft or Sony release some indie games and Yahtzee looks at them? Because you'd think Microsoft would be hyping it better.

JSW:
Yahtzee slagging on the new consoles is getting to be as tedious as when Moviebob would crowbar an attack on The Amazing Spider-Man into every video regardless of how ill-fitting it was. Especially since the 7th console generation was among the darkest times in the history of video games and we should all be celebrating the fact that it's finally over.

I'm just quoting this because I'm happy to see another ASM fan on the Escapist and I agree that Bob needs to shut the ever-living hell up about ASM when there's far more deserving targets. *High five*

Yahtzee, you charismatic stallion! You got one lucky lady in your life! Who hopefully didn't vomit on you.
And the clown! Made me laugh my ass off, if only to stop screaming. I actually heard a squeaky-toy sound when it banged its billy club on the desk.

0takuMetalhead:
I'm surprised he didn't drew any lines with Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective for the DS. Unless I missed something. Great episode nonentheless.

He definitely mentioned it in the beginning of the video, to compare it to Murdered: Soul Suspect as "Game with Dead Protagonist investigating their own death and a silly title".

Falseprophet:

thaluikhain:

Exactly, you had to go back over 40 years to think of one.

Now that's a feature not seen often enough in games: talking to a computer in a manner that makes it shut down or blow up. I've only seen it once in Fallout 3.

I get so excited when things I like are mentioned by people I also like WOO Dresden Files! :D And I'm actually being sincere. ^.^

Also joining the chorus of Dresden Files adoration, though I did already know Yahtzee liked the series. But still, nice to see it referenced. :)

That vest n hat joke got a genuine gut-laugh out of me. Well done, Mr. Croshaw.

I didn't recall him ever getting married but I don't stalk him well enough to be able confirm it one way or another.

TO THE BUSHES

crazygameguy4ever:

Nooners:

he's either married too Silent Hill 2 or Saint's Row 2... not sure about an actual women though, it's doesn't say he's married on his wiki page

If you listen to his Let's Play and Let's Drown Out videos (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-Q4WBqNtMF_2GbIsGjic4A) you may have heard he's not married and is actually trying his luck in online dating, which is interesting... I would have thought he may have a quite decent chance with women, or men, whatever his preference may be.

Also, quite surprised nobody has commented on the pun Soul/Sole suspect.
But that probably isn't that interesting.

This game probably would have benefited from subtle jokes like finding the ghost of Inspector Morse or running into Poirot in a secret area. That's probably too clever for the evil clown office.

Why is it so hard for companies to make good murder mystery games? It's a great genre with lots of possibility, but in my life I've only played maybe 20 good murder mystery titles...and 7 of them were Ace Attorney games.

Airtight games is rather shaky as a developer. Quantum Conundrum had some good ideas, but clunky implementation. It seems it's the same this time around. There seems to be something off about their play testing interpretation, if there is any going on at all.

Did he implied Ghost Trick is a pile of Sh*ts?
I am VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY Disappointed if he truly believe that....

SweetShark:
Did he implied Ghost Trick is a pile of Sh*ts?
I am VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY Disappointed if he truly believe that....

No he just said the title was bad.

There's one or more guys with good ideas having to share an office with a giant monster clown they don't know how to say "no" to.

Isn't that the standard model for every AAA dev team?

And congrats Mr. Croshaw on your engagement, I think.

238U

UPDATE: According to Yahtzee's Wikipedia entry under personal life: "Currently, he does not often contact his brother, while his parents disapprove of his game-critic career, as they wanted him to enroll into higher education."

Dude, you need to announce your engagement more officially.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here