Escapist News Now: Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Future Tech Gameplay Detailed

Need more color, and teenage anime characters, and a complete disrespect for the lives of the men under your command. (no, I'll never stop milking that joke)

Since we have exoskeletons now and basically anyone could be a soldier, can we finally have a CoD with some ladies in it? might be a nice change of pace.
Speaking of ladies, as a news show, aren't you supposed to at least try to be neutral Andrea? It's nice to see you so enthousiastic but maybe you should keep the fangirling and the newsreporting in seperate shows :p

Floppertje:
Since we have exoskeletons now and basically anyone could be a soldier, can we finally have a CoD with some ladies in it? might be a nice change of pace.

Newer CoD releases already allow you to create female characters. Just sayin'.

OT: I wonder how long it'll be before we get the "Urgh, it's just a boring military shooter" crowd commenting, despite the exoskeletons and lasers. Not long, I'm guessing.

Not sure how I feel about Sledgehammer being in on this. They were involved with MW3 too, and that was definitely the ropiest of the current CoD series (from a singleplayer plot point of view).

Grouchy Imp:

Floppertje:

OT: I wonder how long it'll be before we get the "Urgh, it's just a boring military shooter" crowd commenting, despite the exoskeletons and lasers. Not long, I'm guessing.

Not sure how I feel about Sledgehammer being in on this. They were involved with MW3 too, and that was definitely the ropiest of the current CoD series (from a singleplayer plot point of view).

yeah, but that's multiplayer. I'd like to see what they'd do with it in the story department.

Floppertje:

Grouchy Imp:

Floppertje:

yeah, but that's multiplayer. I'd like to see what they'd do with it in the story department.

That's true enough. I think, however, that the lack of female protagonists in the series is a direct reflection of current military doctrine (ie support roles only, no front line deployment) rather than an oversight on the part of the developers.

Floppertje:
Speaking of ladies, as a news show, aren't you supposed to at least try to be neutral Andrea? It's nice to see you so enthousiastic but maybe you should keep the fangirling and the newsreporting in seperate shows :p

Here I am trying to avoid the latest ''hot topic'' and bam its off 3 posts into the thread. Is that really all you care about? Why dont you just pretend the person in the video is a masculine woman with short hair and go with it. Or better yet keep those SJW posts in the threads where they all live.

OT: Fancy skin on the same game, I think Call of duty peaked by modern warfare 3 (in sales and everything else although I love 4 the most) and I highly doubt this will bring it back to its former glory. But a new place for COD none the less.

Grouchy Imp:

Floppertje:
snip

That's true enough. I think, however, that the lack of female protagonists in the series is a direct reflection of current military doctrine (ie support roles only, no front line deployment) rather than an oversight on the part of the developers.

Possibly, but I don't think that holds up to scrutiny. I believe there is a move towards allowing women on the front line and these games take place a couple of years in the future (BO2 going as far as, what was it, 2025?) they could've said 'in this future, women are allowed on the front line. especially when exoskeletons get involved, there's no reason they couldn't be.
moreover, the only women in the series I can think of are pilots who you then have to rescue when they inevitably crashland. You never see, say... a female engineer or mechanic. could that be because tinkering with engines gets you dirty and we don't like seeing women dirty? Maybe I'm reading too much into things, but it seems to me that the explanation lies more in the 'male power fantasy' area than the 'realism' area.

Hixy:

Floppertje:

Here I am trying to avoid the latest ''hot topic'' and bam its off 3 posts into the thread. Is that really all you care about? Why dont you just pretend the person in the video is a masculine woman with short hair and go with it. Or better yet keep those SJW posts in the threads where they all live.

OT: Fancy skin on the same game, I think Call of duty peaked by modern warfare 3 (in sales and everything else although I love 4 the most) and I highly doubt this will bring it back to its former glory. But a new place for COD none the less.

You said it yourself; fancy skin on the same game. I just think that having us play as a woman at least for a couple of missions, since they switch around characters anyway, would be a nice way to mix things up and bring some more depth to the series. How is that a bad thing?

Floppertje:

Hixy:

Floppertje:

You said it yourself; fancy skin on the same game. I just think that having us play as a woman at least for a couple of missions, since they switch around characters anyway, would be a nice way to mix things up and bring some more depth to the series. How is that a bad thing?

Its not a bad thing and I'm not trying to argue the point, I am just sick of hearing it on I would say about 50% of the threads. Its boring, its done, its been said. It can still be said on another thread that is devoted to feminism/representation etc. There are dozens, every damn day. People are posting on one I just read not 5 minutes ago as recently as 30 minutes. I would like to talk about, you know, things like graphics and gameplay and multiplayer modes. People still care about that stuff right? Or is that just me because frankly I am not sure anymore.

Hixy:

Floppertje:

Hixy:

Its not a bad thing and I'm not trying to argue the point, I am just sick of hearing it on I would say about 50% of the threads. Its boring, its done, its been said. It can still be said on another thread that is devoted to feminism/representation etc. There are dozens, every damn day. People are posting on one I just read not 5 minutes ago as recently as 30 minutes. I would like to talk about, you know, things like graphics and gameplay and multiplayer modes. People still care about that stuff right? Or is that just me because frankly I am not sure anymore.

You're right, and we can still talk about that stuff. But in the case of the last few instalments of Call of Duty, there hasn't really changed all that much and frankly, they didn't show that much, so what news is there to talk about?
Yeah, lasers and vehicles look fun, but I'm a bit worried that they'll either just replace the bullet graphics with laser graphics or turn into Halo. Not that there's anything really wrong with Halo, but if you're going to innovate, isn't there a direction you could try that hasn't really been explored yet? I would appreciate it if they could give us some more freedom to tackle problems the way we want though. maybe let us use that laser gun to cut metal Wolfenstein TNO style and collapse buildings on enemies or something? that'd be fun.

:o

Call of Duty + portal gun!

Floppertje:

Hixy:

Floppertje:

You're right, and we can still talk about that stuff. But in the case of the last few instalments of Call of Duty, there hasn't really changed all that much and frankly, they didn't show that much, so what news is there to talk about?
Yeah, lasers and vehicles look fun, but I'm a bit worried that they'll either just replace the bullet graphics with laser graphics or turn into Halo. Not that there's anything really wrong with Halo, but if you're going to innovate, isn't there a direction you could try that hasn't really been explored yet? I would appreciate it if they could give us some more freedom to tackle problems the way we want though. maybe let us use that laser gun to cut metal Wolfenstein TNO style and collapse buildings on enemies or something? that'd be fun.

Floppertje:

Hixy:

Floppertje:

I stopped playing at modern warfare 3 so forgive me if any of this has in fact been done. They won't go like halo they will keep the basic gameplay the same, twitch shooter not the bullet sponge that is the spartan. If they have gadgets and mechs and shit that opens up balance problems, which they had in the past with perks like that chopper gunner. Multiple approaches to missions is a fine idea but the problem is call of duty like their set pieces and they need to move you through certain places for that, so perhaps a mix of the two would be best. I mean the story is just going to be nuts and stuff will be blowing up and collapsing everywhere that is just COD. They should (if they have not already) heavily expand on that survival mode from 3. It gives replay value to people who won't wade into the online sea of abuse and tyranny that is COD online. More players at once and more difficulties and incentives to level. Multiplayer modes were always ok in my opinion so I dont suppose much will be done there bar new maps. Again if there are mechs and stuff they will have to be bigger so they may up player counts for this as well as the better hardware they have now. Again balance is usually the issue here so probably a beta to get a handle on what everyone flocks to so it can be downgraded early ! Also ensuring it is not so easy to spawn kill the enemy team by locking them into a corner carefully and never pushing in too hard. We had this down to a fine art in previous games.

Floppertje:

Grouchy Imp:

Floppertje:
snip

Possibly, but I don't think that holds up to scrutiny. I believe there is a move towards allowing women on the front line and these games take place a couple of years in the future (BO2 going as far as, what was it, 2025?) they could've said 'in this future, women are allowed on the front line. especially when exoskeletons get involved, there's no reason they couldn't be.
moreover, the only women in the series I can think of are pilots who you then have to rescue when they inevitably crashland. You never see, say... a female engineer or mechanic. could that be because tinkering with engines gets you dirty and we don't like seeing women dirty? Maybe I'm reading too much into things, but it seems to me that the explanation lies more in the 'male power fantasy' area than the 'realism' area.

There is no reason why they couldn't be, but we don't know yet that there aren't any. All we have is a short gameplay trailer to go by, and the track record of the developer - which, whilst not exactly stellar in this regard, has at least moved forward over the last few games.

Grouchy Imp:

Floppertje:

"It's just another bland military shooter with lasers and chest high walls that you can move" When it takes 7 years to actually add anything new or game changing (i.e. exo skeletons which, as well all know is completely original) then yeah, it's a bad series. Not saying that you can't have fun with it but overall it's pretty sad.

Hixy:
Is that really all you care about? Why dont you just pretend the person in the video is a masculine woman with short hair and go with it. Or better yet keep those SJW posts in the threads where they all live.

The first thing I thought when I read that was "JEEZ WHY ARE ALL THESE GAY PEOPLE COMPLAINING WHY DON'T YOU JUST PRETEND TO BE STRAIGHT?" Not that it's comparable but when someone's saying "We want female character models/female protagonists" saying something like "just pretend they're a woman and get over it" is... absolute untold quantities of horse shit. The only reason I can see them not adding in a female protagonist is because a bunch of fan boys will get butthurt that their game full of butch gravel voiced men has to have a woman in it for once. When a large chunk of your player base is female it's only logical that you should make an effort to appeal to that group.

Grouchy Imp:

Floppertje:

Grouchy Imp:

There is no reason why they couldn't be, but we don't know yet that there aren't any. All we have is a short gameplay trailer to go by, and the track record of the developer - which, whilst not exactly stellar in this regard, has at least moved forward over the last few games.

Actually, Call of Duty 2 features female Russian soldiers like it's no big deal. which is actually one of the best ways to deal with this stuff. So yeah, maybe they have moved forward over the last few games, but not by as much as they moved back before that.

yeah, I know it's about 'historical accuracy', but that argument never comes up when it comes to things like gameplay balance or the omission of war crimes or civilians, so I really don't see why it should be a problem here.

I'm sorry, we just keep coming back to this :')

you gotta admit though, my CoD + portal gun idea is pretty neat!

DerangedHobo:

Grouchy Imp:

Floppertje:

"It's just another bland military shooter with lasers and chest high walls that you can move" When it takes 7 years to actually add anything new or game changing (i.e. exo skeletons which, as well all know is completely original) then yeah, it's a bad series. Not saying that you can't have fun with it but overall it's pretty sad.

There is a saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". At it's core the CoD series has always been a fairly solid arcade shooter, and if the basic mechanics are sound then there is very little need for tweaking. For another example, let's take Mario Kart. The core game mechanics have changed little since I first played the original back in the early 90s, but that doesn't make it a bad series. The fact that they got the formula pretty bang on and have only needed to basically update the graphics and maps with each version is arguably what makes it a great series, not a bad one.

Floppertje:

Grouchy Imp:
>snip<

Actually, Call of Duty 2 features female Russian soldiers like it's no big deal. which is actually one of the best ways to deal with this stuff. So yeah, maybe they have moved forward over the last few games, but not by as much as they moved back before that.

yeah, I know it's about 'historical accuracy', but that argument never comes up when it comes to things like gameplay balance or the omission of war crimes or civilians, so I really don't see why it should be a problem here.

Yeah, but I can pretty much guarantee most players will overlook the huge possibilities of a portal gun and just go for the 'terminal velocity t-bag' option. :)

Grouchy Imp:
There is a saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". At it's core the CoD series has always been a fairly solid arcade shooter, and if the basic mechanics are sound then there is very little need for tweaking. For another example, let's take Mario Kart. The core game mechanics have changed little since I first played the original back in the early 90s, but that doesn't make it a bad series. The fact that they got the formula pretty bang on and have only needed to basically update the graphics and maps with each version is arguably what makes it a great series, not a bad one.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it" works fine if you're talking about a car but when you're making entertainment it's bullshit. It's like telling the same joke over and over again except for some ungodly fucking reason people keep laughing and eating it up. There's no innovation, no relevance just a story full of copy and pasted wankers and boring mechanics. To use another analogy, Rocky had the exact same plot but at least it had development in characters and characters you might give a fuck about. I don't hate Call of Duty because "muh casuals" or because it's a popcorn game but because it doesn't make any effort to inovate or change. It's Activision jerking off in your face and you paying 40 for it.

DerangedHobo:

Grouchy Imp:

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it" works fine if you're talking about a car but when you're making entertainment it's bullshit. It's like telling the same joke over and over again except for some ungodly fucking reason people keep laughing and eating it up. There's no innovation, no relevance just a story full of copy and pasted wankers and boring mechanics. To use another analogy, Rocky had the exact same plot but at least it had development in characters and characters you might give a fuck about. I don't hate Call of Duty because "muh casuals" or because it's a popcorn game but because it doesn't make any effort to inovate or change. It's Activision jerking off in your face and you paying 40 for it.

Look, if you don't like CoD that's fine. I'm not here to change anyone's mind and if you don't like the series then it's no skin off my back. But to claim that the series doesn't change? I find that comment hard to take seriously. You're talking about a series that started out as a WWII shooter and has ended up with players fighting invading aliens from outer space.

Grouchy Imp:

Floppertje:

Grouchy Imp:
>snip<

Yeah, but I can pretty much guarantee most players will overlook the huge possibilities of a portal gun and just go for the 'terminal velocity t-bag' option. :)

You give them a portal gun and the best humiliation they can come up with is extra fast teabaggin... pathetic.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here