Jimquisition: How To Sell Games Without Being A Lying Dick

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

How To Sell Games Without Being A Lying Dick

E3 was full of lies and conjecture, and that was stupid. At least one company was doing it right.
Also, Bug Princess.

Watch Video

The more I see of it, the more I want Hyrule Warriors. I really hope Lu Bu turns out being a secret character or something XD

Sadly Jim the guys with the advertising and PR degrees will not agree with you. As long as you pour money into advertising you'll be fine regardless of how much you lied.

synobal:
Sadly Jim the guys with the advertising and PR degrees will not agree with you. As long as you pour money into advertising you'll be fine regardless of how much you lied.

And the more money you pour into th advertising, the more you have to lie in order to increase the hype

Has to be one of the best starts of a video on this site in this episode xD
Guessing something 6 months before it happens = God/Profet :D
I guess I agree with most stuff in this video, but what synobal sais is also true. Good trailers and gameplay videos will sell your games. But I think many more are thinking the same way as Jim after this E3, after we had two very opposite ways to show of games and the majority seems to be (according to what I've read and heard) that the Nintendo way was the better this year.

But we can't like the WiiU, because samey gimmicks and bad graphics!

PC/WiiU Master race, reporting.

I was bored by the E3 this year. Nintendo was the one company that showed interesting stuff, the rest was boring ass crap seen hundreds of times before.

I have gotten so sick and tired of the Triple A industry. The greed, the homogenization of games, the lack of respect for customers and the outright lies. A while ago I began worrying that I had outgrow games. Then I realized that no, what I've outgrown is the bullshit of companies like Ubisoft and EA.

For me the next generation consists of a 3DS and a PC.

Also, loved the over the top ending in your video. I wish I could come just by thinking about myself.

Sadly the gaming industry is run by a bunch of pathetic children.
It's about time for another crash.

Good video Jim. My friends/brother and I have consistently been saying this kind of stuff for a few years now, at least. So I definitely agree with you on this. There may be ridiculously forgiving people out there, but I'm not on of them and neither are my friends. The Watch Dogs, Dark Souls 2, and other hype machines of late have basically destroyed any hope we have for the future iterations of said series. And that's unfortunately the price these publishers and developers pay for lying and manipulating footage or for allowing it to happen. Kudos to Nintendo for what they did at E3 this year. Maybe everyone else can get off their high horses and treat customers like respectable human beings from now on.

lukesparow:

Yeah, Nintendo is churning out decades old IPs on their current console as usual and everyone hails them as heroes, just because the other contenders are soulless idiots.

There are no winners here.

You have a new intro? THIS SHOW HAS BEEN RUINED FOREVER(I'm joking and I actually like the new intro).

The reason why companies lie is because they want you to pre order their games, and they don't care about potential negative consequences later, or they expect you to keep buying their products no matter what they do.

The new intro/outro, it's wonderful!

Nintendo may be a relic of the past, but we also get the benefit of actually seeing gameplay as a result. That's a good deal, in my opinion. They put Bayonetta in Link's outfit, I'm pretty sure that's worthy of a hundred E3 awards right there!

The problem is they announce games too early and have been doing for years. It's part of the "Oh my god our 500 console has no games for it! Quick we need to get some announcements together!" panic cycle. The reason many of these games have no footage is because they don't exist in any sort of playable form yet. Much of the effort in making these games goes TOWARDS making the demos and promos.

The few devs who feel able to speak out have been saying for years how much time, effort and developer resources go into making these stage demo pieces and thet is they are not entirely CGI they are made from the ground up for a show because the base game is still pre-alpha (like actually, properly pre-alpha) and still has blank texture stand-ins and quake sounds. Many of these games we won't see until 2016, delays seem to be part of the landscape now and the cynic in me would say they put up release dates they know they won't hit because there is little consequence for delay and to make it look like there are more games in the near future than there actually are.

It's like watch_doge. The game had a complete looking 'gameplay' trailer more than two years before it was actually finished (or unfinished if you have the PC version) and ended up being many years, and a downgrade later, down the pipeline.

Lest I be taken as a contrarian, I'll start by stating I agree with this episode entirely.

But I'm curious as to what the take on the supposedly "in engine" obviously scripted and edited (cause ya know, that slow-mo complete camera shift is blatantly obviously not an ingame thing and I don't know how anyones expected to believe it is) Zelda Wii-U thing is.

I'm also still incredibly amused that Sony had the gameplay demo of Far Cry 4 (scripted out as it may be) while Ubisoft only had the cinematic. They made a gameplay demo... but wouldn't show it themselves.

I think there was a lesson to all of the industry don't lie. Any more predictions wise prophet Sterling?

Imre Csete:

lukesparow:

Yeah, Nintendo is churning out decades old IPs on their current console as usual and everyone hails them as heroes, just because the other contenders are soulless idiots.

There are no winners here.

While it is true a lot of what they showed were old franchises, I don't think it's fair to chain them up for it.
Most of the games they showed actually did some really original things with those franchises, essentially almost making them a new IP.
Take the new Zelda for example. Having it set in a fully open world is extremely fresh for the series.

They also showed some genuinely new IP's.
But yea, it was mostly their charm, contrasted with the soullessness of their contenders that made them "win" E3.

Seth Carter:
Lest I be taken as a contrarian, I'll start by stating I agree with this episode entirely.

But I'm curious as to what the take on the supposedly "in engine" obviously scripted and edited (cause ya know, that slow-mo complete camera shift is blatantly obviously not an ingame thing and I don't know how anyones expected to believe it is) Zelda Wii-U thing is.

Nintendo made it absolutely clear what that was: A 20 second preview of what a Zelda Wii U cutscene may look like. They never claimed that this is what the gameplay would look like, and rightly so - I clearly won't look like that. That would be a bad game.

I, personally, think that is just fine. Cutscenes are an important part of many games and it makes sense that the first teaser trailer would be a mini cutscene as the development is not far enough along to actually show gameplay indicative of the actual game. We will see gameplay of Zelda Wii U before it's release. This is just a sort of confirmation for the fans of how far along the project is.

Where this can become a problem is when game companies try to pass off in engine cutscenes as indicative of gameplay in the sort of shady way Colonial Marines did.

I'm looking forward to the reviews when Hyrule Warriors come out. Reviewers have savagely bashed Dynasty Warriors for years, so will simply wrapping a guaranteed high review score franchise around it expose them for hypocrites? Or will they slap their 6s and 7/10s on it and be assaulted by the swarm of rabid fanboys?

Either way, I will enjoy the show.

Like the new intro slates.

Yeah, I stopped caring about E3 after the debacles, but after hearing about this year, my respect for Nintendo has grown. Hell, they've always maintained at least SOME respect with me. Recently I took a sledgehammer to my Xbox 360 because it was defunct AGAIN after having already been sent it in for "repairs" three times (the first two were in a row, actually), and I didn't feel that what few games for it I have that I don't already have the PC version for were worth sending it in again. I'll hold on to my Rock Band games and peripherals in the HOPE that Microsoft learns a lesson from the Xbone and builds backwards compatibility into their next console (though I doubt it, and even if they do, it probably won't be as far back as the 360).

The point is that my Gamecube, which I bought back in 2001, still works today. And I've never had to send it in for repairs (aside from getting replacement controllers from Gamestop because I wore the old ones out). Clearly, Nintendo didn't have the bad ethic of designing its consoles to break down by the time the next one came out. This makes me very happy because I have the Gamecube versions of my four favorite Zelda games. If Hyrule Warriors and the new Zelda game itself actually seem like something I want to play, then I'll consider getting a Wii U. As it is, it's looking like the massive numbers of enemies in Hyrule Warriors just walk around waiting to get mowed down, and I'm worried that the attempts at open-worlding the new Zelda will make it not FEEL like a Zelda game. Still, fingers crossed.

Yeah, I'm actually excited for Hyrule Warriors and I never get excited for games anymore. That should tell you something. I don't understand why these companies feel the need to outright lie in the press conferences and with their promo material. It ultimately hurts them in the end. Well it would except people don't stop buying their games, so they're probably not going to stop doing it. Meh.

Thanatos2k:
I'm looking forward to the reviews when Hyrule Warriors come out. Reviewers have savagely bashed Dynasty Warriors for years, so will simply wrapping a guaranteed high review score franchise around it expose them for hypocrites? Or will they slap their 6s and 7/10s on it and be assaulted by the swarm of rabid fanboys?

Either way, I will enjoy the show.

Me too. :P Proof that major game reviewers are full of shit? Or proof that gamers take review scores way too seriously? Either way, it'll be a fireworks display for the ages.

*starts making popcorn*

---
ON TOPIC:

YES YES A HUNDRED TIMES YES. The reason so many of us likes old Ninty's E3 show was the flood of gameplay they showed. Not only were those gameplay trailers, but they STREAMED live play of them playing the games. If it possible for them to downgrade things before release? Yeah. But I don't think they're that stupid.

---

demented:

It's working out pretty well for me so far. Although after E3, I think I'm going to need a WiiU sometime soon. I want to play Splatoon and Hyrule warriors pretty hardcore now. XD

Jimothy Sterling:
How To Sell Games Without Being A Lying Dick

E3 was full of lies and conjecture, and that was stupid. At least one company was doing it right.
Also, Bug Princess.

Watch Video

All very fine points jim, but do you really think the industry gives a fuck? Once they make their money, they care nothing about any of their customers after that point. They don't care. Because as long as the marketing is good enough and they make their money, they refuse to give two shits about anything after that.

The industry is not run by gamers. It's run by businessmen and marketers, both of which don't play games. We might be their source of income, but they know the marketing tricks now. Even if we're here, most people don't know about us. So they'll buy anything with good enough marketing. This is business, where profit is worshipped above all else.

This is why there's probably going to be another crash.

synobal:

While simultaneously complaining about how developer costs are spiraling out of control as you dump as much money into advertising as you paid to code it.

Great video as ever, but I have to don my semantic grammar Nazi hat to point out a pet hate:

"Why should we pre-order, let alone buy at launch?" makes no sense. The "let alone" portion of that sentence needs to be the *less likely* option: "why should we buy at launch, let alone pre-order?", or "why should we pre-order, or even buy at launch?".

Sorry about that :)

All we, as gamers, need to stop doing, is keep falling for the same old tricks. False advertisement isn't going away until that happens.

The problem with that is that gamers become savvy and jaded only with age and experience, while new blood is both a given and a necessity for this popular hobby of ours.

Yeah, I have to say ... E3 was almost a let down if it wasn't for Nintendo's amazing display of games and bringing us the good stuff.
On Microsoft's and Sony's end- it was almost all trailer like or scripted gameplay. It bored me. To make matters worse, it was all about survival with a military shooter gig thrown in there.

.. Stop it guys. I'm not even sure if this is because of how successful Call of Duty has been, or if you see we need more scruffy white protagonist males running around with big guns- but can't we get more than that? Nintendo who wasn't in the best position with money due to lack of sales on the WiiU and stuff- has stolen E3 and convinced me to perhaps buy one. That's how powerful and well presented their conference was. They didn't hide around the bush with their gameplay and felt honesty was the way to go.

And it was. Plus the Robot Chicken screentime was genius along with their 'getting to the point' speeches worked very well in their favor. You could say that they saved E3 from being a huge let down.

demented:
I have gotten so sick and tired of the Triple A industry. The greed, the homogenization of games, the lack of respect for customers and the outright lies. A while ago I began worrying that I had outgrow games. Then I realized that no, what I've outgrown is the bullshit of companies like Ubisoft and EA.

Also, loved the over the top ending in your video. I wish I could come just by thinking about myself.

If you have the money why not add a Wii U to that list as well? They seem to be the ones getting the most interesting software over the next 2 years.

synobal:

That certainly seems to be the mindset, so long as they get people to buy the game what happens after that is irrelevant even if treating your customers like shit will only lead to trouble further down the line. It's a sad mindset of humanity in general, grab all you can today no matter the future cost.

I really did find myself thinking, "well, wait. Would I be bothered by Watch Dogs' visuals if Ubisoft hadn't lied?"

And the answer is "probably not."

Pizza is a decent meal, but you might be disappointed if you got it when you had (pre-)ordered fillet mignon.

The other problem is, as Racecarlock puts it:

Racecarlock:
Once they make their money, they care nothing about any of their customers after that point. They don't care. Because as long as the marketing is good enough and they make their money, they refuse to give two shits about anything after that.

I mean, what should be the teachable moment from Watch Dogs and what is the teachable moment are completely different. This should have been a moment where we taught them a lesson about how they can't get away with lying to us, but instead, we taught them that they can lie to us, be exposed, spark massive outrage, and still be a million-selling game. Watch Dogs is a dominant media force. What's to stop Gearbox from learning the message that maybe they should lie more or lie bigger next time?

For all the protests, we'll buy the games. Maybe not me specifically, or you specifically, but we as a whole.

And every year, people protest the hype of E3. Each year, the complaints get louder, but EA and Ubisoft and Activision get all the more bombastic. And despite those protests, each year we see these games sell phenomenally well. I can't believe that they will listen until there's a reason to. And we're not giving them cause to do anything but lie more. If you're outraged, but still buying the game, the latter part is all they see.

Fappy:
The more I see of it, the more I want Hyrule Warriors. I really hope Lu Bu turns out being a secret character or something XD

Probably the best you can hope for is a cameo (a la Samurai Warriors)

I'm kind of hoping we see Zelda characters show up in a future Warriors Orochi game.

Caramel Frappe:
Yeah, I have to say ... E3 was almost a let down if it wasn't for Nintendo's amazing display of games and bringing us the good stuff.
On Microsoft's and Sony's end- it was almost all trailer like or scripted gameplay. It bored me. To make matters worse, it was all about survival with a military shooter gig thrown in there.

.. Stop it guys. I'm not even sure if this is because of how successful Call of Duty has been, or if you see we need more scruffy white protagonist males running around with big guns- but can't we get more than that? Nintendo who wasn't in the best position with money due to lack of sales on the WiiU and stuff- has stolen E3 and convinced me to perhaps buy one. That's how powerful and well presented their conference was. They didn't hide around the bush with their gameplay and felt honesty was the way to go.

And it was. Plus the Robot Chicken screentime was genius along with their 'getting to the point' speeches worked very well in their favor. You could say that they saved E3 from being a huge let down.

Also if their Amiibos take off with the kids like Disney Infinity or Skylanders has they will probably be printing money again before you know it. Hell with the opening to their conference I almost didn't care if they showed new software because having Reggie fighting Iwata Super Smash style with a doll up of Jojo's bizarre Adventure thrown in was so inherently awesome and goofy it would've made E3 worth it just to see that.

Ufff. You are, for once nicely and to the point idealistic. It would be awesome to have games represented from the get go as they are. I would love that. However...

Let me premise this with stating that I despise marketing as it stands today and that I do not agree with their actions. But at the same time I must admit that they know what they are doing and that their tactics work.

Simply said honesty doesn't sell, or more truthfully, honesty does not sell as well as deception and confusion. Yes, it would be great if we had, from the start, only true gameplay videos (even if that idea is stupid for variety of reasons including that game does not get final polish until late in development cycle) but job of marketing is not to tell us the truth. It's job is to sell us things. And hype and elation does that better than truth. When commercial ends and we go on with our lives content more or less goes forgotten and what is left is tone and feeling it provoked and that is what lures people into purchasing product (except for borderline fanatical hobbyist and professionals which are in majority on any gaming forum)

Let's just look at a classic example, Coca Cola. Their commercials have absolutely nothing to do with their product. And why would they? Product itself is a guilty pleasure, we know it's bad but we like the taste and sugar rush we get. Therefor their commercials go with generating positive feelings within us. Joy of friendship, music, love... Carbonated caramel soda has nothing to do with any of that but feelings linger. And look at how successful Coca Cola is.

I really have to go, I just hope I gave you people some food for thoughts.

Zachary Amaranth:
I really did find myself thinking, "well, wait. Would I be bothered by Watch Dogs' visuals if Ubisoft hadn't lied?"

And the answer is "probably not."

Pizza is a decent meal, but you might be disappointed if you got it when you had (pre-)ordered fillet mignon.

The other problem is, as Racecarlock puts it:

Racecarlock:
Once they make their money, they care nothing about any of their customers after that point. They don't care. Because as long as the marketing is good enough and they make their money, they refuse to give two shits about anything after that.

I mean, what should be the teachable moment from Watch Dogs and what is the teachable moment are completely different. This should have been a moment where we taught them a lesson about how they can't get away with lying to us, but instead, we taught them that they can lie to us, be exposed, spark massive outrage, and still be a million-selling game. Watch Dogs is a dominant media force. What's to stop Gearbox from learning the message that maybe they should lie more or lie bigger next time?

For all the protests, we'll buy the games. Maybe not me specifically, or you specifically, but we as a whole.

And every year, people protest the hype of E3. Each year, the complaints get louder, but EA and Ubisoft and Activision get all the more bombastic. And despite those protests, each year we see these games sell phenomenally well. I can't believe that they will listen until there's a reason to. And we're not giving them cause to do anything but lie more. If you're outraged, but still buying the game, the latter part is all they see.

Fappy:

Probably the best you can hope for is a cameo (a la Samurai Warriors)

I'm kind of hoping we see Zelda characters show up in a future Warriors Orochi game.

We can only hope to see Link go toe-to-toe with Lu Bu and a Gundam.

Its funny how the Wii-U is easily the system with the things I want most out of this year (aside from PC and 3DS to an extent) Hyrule Warriors had officially caught my interest and I can't wait for Super Smash Bros U. Hopefully if Nintendo pumps some money into Wii-U marketing and shows its not a shiny expensive peripheral for the Wii, the system will truly start to shine.

Hoping the division will be good, I remember my cousin was stoked for it, he was stoked for Watch Dogs like you wouldn't believe and was left pissed off at the finished result.

You know, back in the day (like PS1 and PS2 era) I actually enjoyed per-rendered cut scenes. In all Final Fantasy games for ps1, getting to the cut scene was the goal for me. Now-a-days... so don't fucking care. You use to be able to tell the difference between game play and some CGI thing. Now, it's hard to tell (sometimes), a lot because of developers and publishers lying and setting ridiculous expectations, and partly because the gaming crowd has gotten spoiled and whiny. I've had a PS4 for a couple months now. The games look great (for the most part, Bound by Flame is an exception) and then I went back to 360 to play ME3, and it also looked great. This industry has gotten so fucked up.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here