Run Forrest Run

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Eh, it's alright. 10/10 - IGN

If there's money to be made off of controversy, you can bet your arse someone's gonna do it.

What's so controversial about this?

SacremPyrobolum:

Really?

For the same way this is controversial.

It lacks a very distinct amount of tastefulness.

Daystar Clarion:

SacremPyrobolum:

Really?

[ video snip ]

I don't get what the first or third games are supposed to be referencing. Could you explain?

There might as well be a Forrest Gump MOBA while we're at it.

I don't think there's a facepalm meme big enough to cover this one, but I'll try...

*prays to Google*

This is the best I've got:

Pipeline:

Daystar Clarion:

SacremPyrobolum:

Really?

[ video snip ]

I don't get what the first or third games are supposed to be referencing. Could you explain?

The first game is based off the movie Forrest Gump, a movie about a mentally handicapped man. The third is a movie based on the Rwandan Genocide of the 90s.

Daystar Clarion:

Pipeline:

Daystar Clarion:

Really?

[ video snip ]

The first game is based off the movie Forrest Gump, a movie about a mentally handicapped man. The third is a movie based on the Rwandan Genocide of the 90s.

I see, thank you. Yeah, I can understand why that would be controversial.

So Forrest Gump as an infinite runner, 911 as a flappy bird clone, and Hotel Rwanda as a tower defense? Clever, horrible and clever; just the way I like it.

So it's a shitty Subway Surfers rip-off, except offensive and insensitive? Is there a level that Hollywood execs won't stoop to? I didn't even think it was possible to have this little shame and self-awareness.

Hazy992:

So it's a shitty Subway Surfers rip-off, except offensive and insensitive? Is there a level that Hollywood execs won't stoop to? I didn't even think it was possible to have this little shame and self-awareness.

Hi! I see you're new around here. This is a planet we like to call Earth. If you look to your right, you'll see the human race. Please don't stare at them; they are fiercely territorial and will perceive it as a challenge. They'll throw poop at you.

To be fair they wouldn't even have the sense to call the game "United 93", that's to literal and subtle. It would be called "Flappy Terrorist" and be filled with adverts for Islamic dating sites. "Hotel Rwanda" would be another Tiny Tower clone from Zynga, complete with stolen art assets.

I'm more confused by this game existing than anything.
Why did they think this would be a good idea? No, rather, that this would sell?

Lieju:

I imagine it will sell, because I've met plenty of people who would find the idea hilarious. The fact that it's off-colour will be what sells it.

Is this really a thing? 'Cause if so I can't facepalm hard enough.

If there is a Vietnam level I am going to buy the shit out of this and give it a 5 star review...

I'm still waiting for them to release Schindler's "Herr Direktor" simulator, it's a factory sim where... you know what, I don't even feel like joking right now, I don't care. I'll leave it up to other peeps to determine whether it's offensive or to serious a film to make crappy little apps for as it's been a while since i've seen the film and I can't remember a lot of it.

The game looks crappy though.

Meh, the game just isn't funny enough, it doesn't go far enough with the desecration to really do it for me.

Plus its just a shitty game in the end, bad sound effects, shitty graphics, probably controls like crap since you have to swipe to make the character move.

If they where actually smart about games like this and where either really charming or really, really insulting then it might actually work. But now its just meh.

Lieju:

Of course it would sell. Look around you. Controversy sells.

I will wait for the "Motherf*cking T-Rex", the Videogame thank you very much.

Lieju:

Easy: Because it is so controversial and no logical the Hollywood know it will sell.

Another Example:

Mary Poppin Versus the Hitler's Army

See? It is so easy.

SweetShark:

Lieju:

Easy: Because it is so controversial and no logical the Hollywood know it will sell.

Another Example:

See? It is so easy.

Grape_Nuts:

Lieju:

Does it really, though?

Controversy can get you publicity, but you need to have some sort of draw in addition to that.
It's fairly different for example if the controversy is over sex-scenes, or for having pedophilia in it.

I guess if this game is cheap enough, a lot of people can buy it just for curiosity's sake?

My first thought wasn't 'oh how controversial', but 'well that's sort of random and not particularly topical'.

(At least Mary Poppin fighting Nazis sounds somewhat interesting. Didn't she have creepy superpowers? Also she's a cool lady, I'd play a game where she fights the Nazis, if it was at least average.)

I dunno, maybe Hotel Rwanda could be pretty tasteful in a This War of Mine kind of way.

Controversy? It's a tasteful classic movie about a man overcoming multiple handicaps to lead an amazing life which happens to cross paths with many important moments in history.

Not sure whats controversial about seeing a guy who's different. We don't have to stick people with mental challenges in closets to avoid offending people.

That being said the game is about 10 years late and it looks horrible and uninspired.

So....the idea is to (un?)intentionally give publicity to a game like this just so you can play the outrage card? You realize that's exactly what they want, right?

No, but seriously though.

Seriously?

That's just so... bizarre.

The Hungry Samurai:
Controversy? It's a tasteful classic movie about a man overcoming multiple handicaps to lead an amazing life which happens to cross paths with many important moments in history.

Not sure whats controversial about seeing a guy who's different. We don't have to stick people with mental challenges in closets to avoid offending people.

That being said the game is about 10 years late and it looks horrible and uninspired.

Yeah...if it was alright to make a movie out of, why not a game?

One wonders who owns the rights, though, or if they'll fudged it enough to avoid that.

Lieju:

SweetShark:

Lieju:

Another Example:

See? It is so easy.

Grape_Nuts:

Lieju:

Does it really, though?

Controversy can get you publicity, but you need to have some sort of draw in addition to that.
It's fairly different for example if the controversy is over sex-scenes, or for having pedophilia in it.

I guess if this game is cheap enough, a lot of people can buy it just for curiosity's sake?

My first thought wasn't 'oh how controversial', but 'well that's sort of random and not particularly topical'.

(At least Mary Poppin fighting Nazis sounds somewhat interesting. Didn't she have creepy superpowers? Also she's a cool lady, I'd play a game where she fights the Nazis, if it was at least average.)

People are attracted to controversial games and movies for various reasons. Curiosity is but one of them. For some people, it's the thrill of enjoying something that so many people are outraged about. For other people, controversy represents an outlet to deal with their inner psychological insecurities and frustrations.

Grape_Nuts:

People are attracted to controversial games and movies for various reasons. Curiosity is but one of them. For some people, it's the thrill of enjoying something that so many people are outraged about. For other people, controversy represents an outlet to deal with their inner psychological insecurities and frustrations.

Are people outraged about this though?
Buying a game just because it will piss people off is very immature thing anyway, and I can't see many kids being interested to a 20-year old movie or any controversy about it.

RJ 17:
I don't think there's a facepalm meme big enough to cover this one, but I'll try...

*prays to Google*

This is the best I've got:

Here, let me help you:

When I watched the video part of me was thinking "No. Nobody would turn this into *that* kind of game", but part of me knew it was going to happen. Said part of me is far too reliable when it comes to such things.
Jesus, why do some people/industries never fail to disappoint?

What exactly is the controversy here? It's a game about a movie about someone who was mentally challenged. Now this is the first I've heard about this game, so I don't know how tasteful it is, or what the objective or point of it is, but all that people seem to be saying is that it's about a mentally impaired man. Well no fucking shit, so was the movie, why exactly does that make the game in bad taste?

Lieju:

Grape_Nuts:

Are people outraged about this though?
Buying a game just because it will piss people off is very immature thing anyway, and I can't see many kids being interested to a 20-year old movie or any controversy about it.

Not sure about the old movie, but the other two definitely induce outrage and disgust.

Forrest Gump is not a movie about a tragedy so why is it being compared to them?

The Hungry Samurai:

As the father of an autistic child I couldn't have said it better myself. I'm actually offended by the people that have a problem with this.

This is as real as the Ministry of Silly Walks phone game.

which is to say that is also real

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or