Top 5 with Lisa Foiles: Top 5 Bizarre Gaming Myths - Is Squall From FF8 Dead?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Top 5 Bizarre Gaming Myths - Is Squall From FF8 Dead?

Top 5 gaming myths that are totally bizarre.

Watch Video

(Connects all the photos and documents with lengths of red string)

It's all starting to make sense...

I really like the Final Fantasy VIII one because that story was awful and made no sense.

Wow, so early in the morning for this release! I look forward to watching the video before work.

The most messed up one I've heard of involved a messed up NES Godzilla cartridge that had this daemon in it and supposedly the soul of the story teller's dead girlfriend.

Herobrine isn't a myth! It's true! I saw him in the game, then he appeared in my bathroom mirror and killed me!

I got better.

Maybe pikmin aren't the best choice... http://dl.gamesradar.com/photos/gorydeaths/pikmin.jpg

Really nothing about that Fallout 3 Deepwater Horizon thing? Nothing about Lara Croft being naked? And who knows home many WOW myths there are...

You know, FF13 for the 360 is broken up into discs. Given that's the last Final Fantasy to come out that isn't a sequel, it's safe to say that's still happening, though less so now that plenty of games are just getting downloaded off of Steam, Console online market...

DirgeNovak:
I really like the Final Fantasy VIII one because that story was awful and made no sense.

Yeah, I've heard about "Time Compression" from numerous sources and none of the explanations make sense, so this does not suprise me.

Maybe it needs one of those incredibly long and detailed websites that explains all the time travel/Alt dimension weirdness in Chrono Cross. *Joking*

I've always found the Lavender Town story quite interesting. Apparently the original music in Lavender Town caused Japanese children to commit suicide. No-one can quite agree on what the original score was however.

Surprised Pokemon Black didn't make the list. That is one spooky story.

Also, I think Lisa may be a vampire

I actually simply shrugged off Squall's death as "meh, they used Phoenix Down on him", but it definitely sounds a lot better that from disc 2 and onwards, it's all a... Final Fantasy.

Also, Wolfenstein: The New Order uses 4 discs on the 360. Just sayin'.

As for my favorite creepy pasta, it's the Majora's Mask one of "BEN", such a creepy story for an already creepy game :)

I always like these gaming myths. They're a fun way to look at games. Like our own little ghost stories. I figure Squall survived because it was Edea's Limit Break and it was magic. I mean, he gets smacked with a fireball (which is another Limit Break by the way) in the opening movie and he comes back from that just fine. No burns or anything.

About Squall; "that's not a flesh wound"?

Also, it's a Fantasy game =S Sorry to be a stick in the mud but that theory is kinda reaching a bit. So I guess I agree that it belongs on a list of "Top Bizarre Theories" :P

I totally tried that Mew-Truck one though - was gutted when it wasn't true.

Oh, I fully believe the Braid atomic bomb thing. After all, Blowhard is a pretentious git. His subspecies THRIVES on cliché metaphors.

My favorite was the various ways you could get General Leo to join your party in Final Fantasy 3/6j.

Braid thing has actually been confirmed, to the point that the explosion is considered an easter egg

Silentpony:
Really nothing about that Fallout 3 Deepwater Horizon thing? Nothing about Lara Croft being naked? And who knows home many WOW myths there are...

It's a "Top 5" list, not a documentary.

Anywho, I think my favorite myth was the old GamePro prank (I think they ran it in their April issue) where they had a detailed list of how to unlock Akuma as a playable character in Resident Evil 2. They even went so far as to photoshop an in-game picture to include Akuma (his "character model" styled similarly to how characters looked in the game). I honestly don't remember the steps taken, but needless to say that they tricked a LOT of people into believing this unlock, and this was before the days of common internet use when you could just head to your usual forum to see people talking about it being a prank. No, you basically had to try it, and then wonder what you did wrong, and only in a later issue did GamePro confirm that it wasn't real.

Polybius...what is your deal? Who were the men in black? What was the data? WHAT DO YOU NOT WANT US TO KNOW?!

Man, I love bizarre gaming myths. Even though they barely make sense and are often debunked by the developers themselves, it's always fun to read. Squall is Dead is probably my favourite from FFVIII, but Rinoa = Ultimecia's pretty entertaining to read too.

Though the Chico = Quiet in Metal Gear Solid V is one of the most bizarre I've seen in recent years.

I remember how a few years ago nobody had seemingly heard of Polybius except for me, and I even had to explain it on these forums (and even had someone comment that the usage in "Doomsday Arcade" suddenly made sense). Of course most coverage of the Polybius thing misses some of the key elements of what made it famous, namely that a few attempts to engage into *serious* investigation on the subject, including one cancelled video-game TV show (the name eludes me, but I believe it might still be mention on Wikipedia) which ended with an investigation into Polybius with the results supposed to be released in the final episode, which was apparently made, but never aired and the show hosts generally refused to comment. Likewise, those involved in SERIOUS investigations into Polybius have otherwise apparently hit some serious harassment and have allegedly disappeared. For example the way how serious investigators have gone about it (and the technique I would use) is not to go and talk to witnesses and other stuff, as that's a magnet for attention getters, but to of course check records to see what incidents involving the behavior profile occurred on those dates, and then find the victims/those who acted out and question them about the video game. The apparent thing is that if you dig into those records you'll find most of them sealed, including ones that shouldn't be, and they are nearly impossible to obtain even with the laws that are supposed to make such things accessible. Allegedly a lot of the people who did act out during that period of time, are either dead, or in permanent residential custody. Of course this spawns a contrary rumor that the whole "Polybius" thing is BS, and simply someone created as a joke that got out of hand to explain a rash of unusual behavior. Along with other speculation that "Polybius" was not a video game, but a government experiment in behavior modification that involved more things than an arcade cabinet. The idea being that it was an exercise in mental programming with people who were otherwise prepared with drugs or hypnosis being set off when they happened to view the machine. In this case they "self-destructed" relatively harmlessly, but the idea was that you could say kidnap and condition some citizen going to another country, program them to do something, and then have the programming activated when they viewed a specific broadcast, got a phone call, etc... like in certain movies (this theory is also probably where Hollywood got the idea from). This is before you even get into the whole idea of memes and what could in theory be done by controlling them, and the Polybius legend is how that started to drift into culture, to the point where now everyone at least has some idea of what a meme is, where 20+ years ago nobody would have had a clue.

Of course then again Lisa's show style wouldn't allow for a lot of detail one thing. Especially since "Game Theory" did a whole show on this on The Escapist (albeit they just touched the surface, but got into some of the government mind control projects) and it seemed to go fairly unacknowledged, I think it got like 20 responses, and I didn't even notice it until well after the fact.

Now where Lisa truly disappoints me is in missing the Tails doll legend... which is one of the creepier ones because The Tails Doll *DOES* exist, though it has never been confirmed definitively if it's ever actually cursed, killed, or maimed anyone... though I suppose that is the key to a story like this, if it could be confirmed 100% it wouldn't be a good myth or legend.

Well, there's the April Fools jokes that went out of hand...like the DOA and Tomb Raider "nudity code/cheat," with several sad souls sending letters to the magazines of "thank you," or "how do I get this," or "screw you!!!"

There was also the theory that Aeris would have come back in the final (unproduced 5th) disc of FF7, but they ran out of dev time to work on in, thus cut the story short (I believed in that one for a while...as I couldn't fathom any other purpose of earning Aeris' Lvl 4 Limit Break otherwise).

Also remember a few websites that jokingly had a sequel called "FF8: Gaiden," back when FF sequels were simply not done (sigh...good times...).

AgentLampshade:
Man, I love bizarre gaming myths. Even though they barely make sense and are often debunked by the developers themselves, it's always fun to read. Squall is Dead is probably my favourite from FFVIII, but Rinoa = Ultimecia's pretty entertaining to read too.

Though the Chico = Quiet in Metal Gear Solid V is one of the most bizarre I've seen in recent years.

Well, the thing is that developers will oftentimes lie about things because they put these kinds of things into a game without permission from upper management, and/or want to claim plausible deniability. Not to mention that them claiming it's not true adds to the mystique especially when people inevitably find that it's true.

A good example of this would be the old controversy over a game called "Sim Copter". In this game it had a hidden pro-gay (or anti- anti- gay bit) where you could do a mission where the dude you rescued would kiss your (male) pilot. It was denied this was in the game for a while, but eventually it was determined it was true and the guy was fired.

When it comes to movies and such, look at some of the stuff put in Disney movies, including what was in the background of the poster/box art for "The Little Mermaid".

Part of why these rumors persist is because you never know what your going to find, or what turns out to be true in the long run. It's a big part of why people love to dig through the code.

It should also be noted that over the years there have apparently been numerous phranks perpetuated by game developers where they would release "special" versions of a game with slightly different content. This is especially true of arcade machines that are leased from a producer, or rotated in and out of service. One classic example of this is the old "Street Fighter II" stories, ranging from things like Chun-Li being able to throw her bracelets (originally) to moves like "Handcuffs" and "Freeze" to special codes allowing Blanka to bite a chain and drop an Anvil on Zangief's head in Zangief's home stage if timed correctly... not to mention the whole "Shen Long" thing. One of the stories about that is that Capcom realized that figuring out moves and finding "hidden" stuff was popular, so they started rotating out a few machines that actually had some different stuff in them, which would of course lead to some people swearing it was real (because it was true at their local arcade) and others spending tons of money trying to do things that were impossible on a default machine, with all the discussion of course promoting the game. The developers of course denied
a lot of this, but I believe at one point they did come clean briefly. For example Chun-Li was always supposed to have a ranged attack and her Bracelets (which were intended to be throwing weapons) were intended as a mid-range attack but they had trouble with the animations, she was later given a fireball/energy attack to replace this in her move set in later additions of the game. Indeed explaining that, and how they released machines using the old, buggy, animation of her using the wristbands, was how that came out. The basic point here is that at some point there was probably a machine where you could actually fight "Shen Long" and similar things. :)

Of course some of this can be hard to verify, but I believe the Sim Copter bit is a matter of public record, unlike Capcom who has apparently admitted it, and waffled, as I guess they didn't want to reveal the trick in order to be able to keep using it in one form or another. Of course that makes comparatively little sense now, as the market was a bit different when they did it, and Arcade Cabinets were a bigger part of their business, and the attention garnered could justify the creation of additional, but very limited, content. Today they couldn't pull something like that off using digital or console based games which is the core of their business. Some dude isn't going to rip through $50 worth of quarters and convince an arcade owner to pay another month's rent/lease on the machine due to them trying to unlock Shen Long or make Chun-Li throw her bracelets to show off to a friend.

For those deeply into things though a lot of the more fringe rumors come from early releases of games as well. Basically when running off copies of a game, some of the first ones released (in a hurry to meet release date) will oftentimes have stuff from the gold master simply locked out on the disc, incomplete content, or things that they decided not to put into the game. This is one of the things people "code dive" looking for it. Especially with old PSX games this has been theorized to be the source behind a lot of rumors. For example with "Final Fantasy VII" early story information about bring Aeris back being still partially present on the disc, even though it was never developed since they decided not to do that. Perhaps more persistently the ability to "recruit" Zack or Sepiroth which was actually done by being able to glitch some copies of the game since they were in the code (due to the flashback sequence) and just locked out/invisible on the party screen... this coming from earlier test modes. A fairly verifiable example of this from the PC would be "Temple Of Elemental Evil" where Troika was forced to go with an earlier build of the game, and as a result a lot of mostly complete areas are in the game code but unaccessible, this content largely restored by the modding group "Council Of Eight". Another example, again PC, would be "Knights Of The Old Republic 2" with the code for the HK factory and droid planet, which Team Gizka was trying to restore/finish. As a result it's possible to have developers tell the truth and say "this was never in the game" while at the same time also be sort of lying, because it's locked out on specific copies and accessible with a glitch (especially on consoles), and might not be present on later copies of a game where they had more time for later batches and did a better job of erasing things. Deniability also figures into it as well, as depending on the content, they might want to claim it's the work of a hacker. For example one of the "lesser" rumors about Final Fantasy VII had to deal with the "sex scenes" cut from the game. Namely when you rescue Aeris from the erotic torture chamber in a certain perv's house (the one you cross dress for) assuming you did things "properly" to get that scene, you were supposed to see a rather risqué scene spelling out what they had in mind for her (no FMV, just text, and some posturing with polygonal models, involving a rather large dildo/sex toy and a whip (which are being held and talked about, not used, as the graphics didn't really permit it), as well as someone preparing to turn a crank on the 4 point restraints to stretch her) this was cut, along with some later dialogue of her referencing it and other scenes (talking about all the pervs who wanted to abuse her, given both that, and a scene where Hojo wanted to forcibly breed her to Red XIII, which still made it into the game). Apparently in some versions of the game it can occasionally glitch and when you walk into that room you can get a lot of polygonal junk leftover from the models they removed as it tries to load a scene that is still partially in the game, that error lead to the investigation by some code divers as to why.

At any rate, there is a bunch of rumors (some better than others, many of which I find likely even if I can't directly verify them) some of which you may not have heard (though all of them should be fairly well known in old timey gaming circles at least).

Wait, so a guy is shot with summoned ice through the heart and we only consider what's past it to be the high fantasy bit?

I seem to remember the whole thing being high fantasy from the start.

Therumancer:
For example one of the "lesser" rumors about Final Fantasy VII had to deal with the "sex scenes" cut from the game. Namely when you rescue Aeris from the erotic torture chamber in a certain perv's house (the one you cross dress for) assuming you did things "properly" to get that scene, you were supposed to see a rather risqué scene spelling out what they had in mind for her (no FMV, just text, and some posturing with polygonal models, involving a rather large dildo/sex toy and a whip (which are being held and talked about, not used, as the graphics didn't really permit it), as well as someone preparing to turn a crank on the 4 point restraints to stretch her) this was cut, along with some later dialogue of her referencing it and other scenes (talking about all the pervs who wanted to abuse her, given both that, and a scene where Hojo wanted to forcibly breed her to Red XIII, which still made it into the game). Apparently in some versions of the game it can occasionally glitch and when you walk into that room you can get a lot of polygonal junk leftover from the models they removed as it tries to load a scene that is still partially in the game, that error lead to the investigation by some code divers as to why.

Hah, yeah, I remember hearing about that. Apparently it was Motomu Toryiama as well. He is one creepy guy.

Lightknight:
Wait, so a guy is shot with summoned ice through the heart and we only consider what's past it to be the high fantasy bit?

I seem to remember the whole thing being high fantasy from the start.

Well, FFVIII is was a bit more grounded in reality than the others. It's established that there's no real magic in the world aside from the Sorceress. The first disc is actually played pretty straight-forward. "You are mercenaries. You must kill the Sorceress." It's only in disc 2 where Moombas, NORG, Time Kompression and that awful orphanage plot twist start appearing. It's why I like the theory so much, it's got some really good ideas behind it and it's fun to read, even if I don't really believe it.

The Mew/Pikablue myths were the most prevalent (and the most eye-rolly) when I was younger and, consequently, are the ones I remember the most. The instructions seemed to change almost at random, which made things even more hilarious (and eye-rolly).

My favourite myth has to be Street Fighter II's "Sheng Long" because it endured and fooled a ton of people in its wake. Also, we now have Gouken in SF4, so in a weird way it's all come full-circle.

templar1138a:
Oh, I fully believe the Braid atomic bomb thing. After all, Blowhard is a pretentious git. His subspecies THRIVES on cliché metaphors.

Yeah, that A-Bomb thing from braid never made sense to me. On YouTube, there's a video of the Braid guy sitting in a bar with other video game heroes, including Mario, and they're comparing each other's games. Braid-guy is acting like a hipster douchebag with his "Pssh, you wouldn't get it" attitude.

SupahGamuh:
I actually simply shrugged off Squall's death as "meh, they used Phoenix Down on him", but it definitely sounds a lot better that from disc 2 and onwards, it's all a... Final Fantasy.

Also, Wolfenstein: The New Order uses 4 discs on the 360. Just sayin'.

As for my favorite creepy pasta, it's the Majora's Mask one of "BEN", such a creepy story for an already creepy game :)

I think top 5 creepypasta games would be a great episode. I'm partial to Pokemon Black myself.

That Squall death one blew my mind O_O

It seems hard to discount

My personal favorite one was the "BEN DROWNED" creepypasta. That shit was crazy and unnerving.

I could have sworn I saw a ghost when I first played Minecraft. It was an early version 0.7 or something, and the first time I found some caverns up on a mountain I ventured in. It made that creepy sound it normally does, but then there was a little white ghost that turned around and flew farther in. I didn't think much of it at the time because I had just started playing, I mean I thought monsters disappeared with the sun so in the first morning when I saw this green thing off in the distance I thought it was some sort of magic leprechaun and went chasing after it! But now I feel like I'm on crazy pills because I've never saw it again or even heard about it in the years since.

No mention of Reviving Aerith using White Materia found in the Ocean only accessible by White Chocobo???

DirgeNovak:

Yeah..it's especially sad when a silly notion like a game's protagonist experiencing 3/4ths of the game as a near-death fever dream based on an exceptionally bonkers interpretation of events, is actually LESS CRAZY and more coherent of a explanation for the events of FF8 than the actual plot.

(from what I heard, FF8's plot is a trainwreck because it's two separate plots mashed together into one incoherent mess; as in, the Laguna plotline was originally intended to be its own thing, but they forced Squall into the role of protagonist because Cloud Strife was such an incredibly popular character. They even gave him his own Seifer-oth!)

Just to hammer in how crap the FF8 plot is, consider that "Squall is Dead" is still only a step away from the "It was just a dream all along" trope. (at best, it'd be aping The Sixth Sense. BADLY.)

Nojh:
My favorite was the various ways you could get General Leo to join your party in Final Fantasy 3/6j.

Except that can happen...
http://lparchive.org/Breaking-Final-Fantasy-VI/

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook