Escapist Podcast - Science and Tech: 010: Crazy Potato Salad Kickstarter, IE Woes, "Shocking" Studies

010: Crazy Potato Salad Kickstarter, IE Woes, "Shocking" Studies

In this episode of The Escapist's Science and Tech podcast, host CJ Miozzi and Escapist news writers talk about recent headlines in the world of science and technology: Internet Explorer's terrible reputation, a study claiming men would rather shock themselves than sit quietly, the ludicrous success of the potato salad Kickstarter campaign, and more.

Watch Video

You can uninstall IE but you shouldn't, it's like the basic software equivelent of brain surgery. You have go as far as into the registry and physically remove registry files etc but even of you do, often you will still get prompts to open it and windows just won't be able to find it. Which means random error messages. But yeah the same reason applies to all the questions asked here. IE is built into the basic windows architecture.

Kameburger:
You can uninstall IE but you shouldn't, it's like the basic software equivelent of brain surgery. You have go as far as into the registry and physically remove registry files etc but even of you do, often you will still get prompts to open it and windows just won't be able to find it. Which means random error messages. But yeah the same reason applies to all the questions asked here. IE is built into the basic windows architecture.

Hahah, I like that analogy. *removes key piece of brain matter* "I forgot how to internet."

Rhykker:

Kameburger:

Hahah, I like that analogy. *removes key piece of brain matter* "I forgot how to internet."

It is a lot like that lol.
Of course this was quite a few versions of windows ago, so I can only imagine it's even harder now. But one question I wanted to raise because I don't think it was mentioned in the discussion, but a few years ago (not too sure how long ago) Europe declared that Microsoft users be able to choose their own default browser if they didn't want to use IE. I am curious to know how they enforced this and if it had any impact on this discussion.

Is it perhaps the case that Internet Explorer is not as integrated in European versions of windows?
That sounds quite unlikely but the alternative as well seems a bit weird too considering my experience with how windows works.

(I should also mentioned that I haven't used a windows machine as my main personal device in few years and that was still XP so my info is quite embarrassingly dated.)

Kameburger:

Rhykker:

Kameburger:

It is a lot like that lol.
Of course this was quite a few versions of windows ago, so I can only imagine it's even harder now. But one question I wanted to raise because I don't think it was mentioned in the discussion, but a few years ago (not too sure how long ago) Europe declared that Microsoft users be able to choose their own default browser if they didn't want to use IE. I am curious to know how they enforced this and if it had any impact on this discussion.

Is it perhaps the case that Internet Explorer is not as integrated in European versions of windows?
That sounds quite unlikely but the alternative as well seems a bit weird too considering my experience with how windows works.

(I should also mentioned that I haven't used a windows machine as my main personal device in few years and that was still XP so my info is quite embarrassingly dated.)

It's just in "turn windows features on or Off" option in sidebar to uninstall or change a program, it's really not serious at all to remove it.

You don't have to since you can change all the default stuff to your chosen browser so you would never know if it was installed or not. That's done in Default programs option in control panel.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here