Escapist News Now: Shadow of Mordor New Trailer, Frozen Themed PS4, Alien: Isolation Pre-Order Content

Shadow of Mordor New Trailer, Frozen Themed PS4, Alien: Isolation Pre-Order Content

New information at SDCC about Shadow of Mordor, Japan gets some special editions of the PlayStation 4 and the Alien: Isolation pre-order bonuses will be available without a pre-order.

Watch Video

Well dang. Are there any neat Playstation deals coming to the U.S.?

Good for them though.

Also, Troy Baker's really getting around. In that clip, he also really looked like Delsin Rowe from the new Infamous.
Does he really like to get into character or something?
xD Dye his hair salt and pepper style when he voiced Joel?

:) He should do well in Shadow of Mordor.

I can answer why there are problems with the preorder. First content should not be gated off for preorder and exclusive to a particular store. Gamestop in particular is a problem because almost none of them carry PC versions of the games and they are not worldwide. That is straight up shafting the vast majority of customers and is despicable. This is actual content mind you, not cosmetics or a weapon. Actual content to play gated off to be later sold to everyone that was shafted for a second screw you.

The other issue with it is we are talking about preorders without any way to actually try out the game first and no reviews for them. Preorder is already a business practice that needs to die in a fire because developers already got your money and have no incentive to make the game good. Added incentive for preordering just gets more customers doing it and increases the chance that developers will start taking advantage and shipping shoddy games. Kind of like the last few games that particular developer shipped out.

Then what happens next for Gamestop, preorder exclusive parts of the main game? Oh and then wait until all the retailers get in on that action and start making deals with the devs/publishers to make that same content %100 exclusive.

Nobody is complaining that they are offering free content, it is the business practice that is anti consumer that people are complaining about. Things Jim Sterling has complained about in a new flavor. We are complaining because we are sick of developers and publishers screwing us over and treating us like wallets they can take from whenever they want. If we don't get mad and complain then they will continue shoving more and more bullshit down our throats until we collectively say no more and stop buying them.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.854872-GameStop-Wants-to-Snag-Exclusive-Gameplay-as-Preorder-Bonuses

*Edit,
No counter arguments in 24 hours? Amazed for a front page news video. I guess my point stands.

Shadow of Mordor looks like yet another you-play-a-white-dude game, which I no longer buy. I'll wait for more infomation before I get mildly interested.

Aliens Isolation has a female MC, but it's being published by SEGA. I'll wait and see on this one as well.

EDIT - Found more infomation, lost interest.

JET1971:
I can answer why there are problems with the preorder. First content should not be gated off for preorder and exclusive to a particular store. Gamestop in particular is a problem because almost none of them carry PC versions of the games and they are not worldwide. That is straight up shafting the vast majority of customers and is despicable. This is actual content mind you, not cosmetics or a weapon. Actual content to play gated off to be later sold to everyone that was shafted for a second screw you.

The other issue with it is we are talking about preorders without any way to actually try out the game first and no reviews for them. Preorder is already a business practice that needs to die in a fire because developers already got your money and have no incentive to make the game good. Added incentive for preordering just gets more customers doing it and increases the chance that developers will start taking advantage and shipping shoddy games. Kind of like the last few games that particular developer shipped out.

Then what happens next for Gamestop, preorder exclusive parts of the main game? Oh and then wait until all the retailers get in on that action and start making deals with the devs/publishers to make that same content %100 exclusive.

Nobody is complaining that they are offering free content, it is the business practice that is anti consumer that people are complaining about. Things Jim Sterling has complained about in a new flavor. We are complaining because we are sick of developers and publishers screwing us over and treating us like wallets they can take from whenever they want. If we don't get mad and complain then they will continue shoving more and more bullshit down our throats until we collectively say no more and stop buying them.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.854872-GameStop-Wants-to-Snag-Exclusive-Gameplay-as-Preorder-Bonuses

*Edit,
No counter arguments in 24 hours? Amazed for a front page news video. I guess my point stands.

Heh, it's the weekend and at least locally the weather was fantastic. people might actually have been enjoying their summer. Excellent points all though. I have not preordered a game in a heck of a long time. I got burned a time too many. Dragon Age Inquisition is offering preorders already but last I checked, system specs had not yet been released. Uh, thanks but no thanks Bioware/EA. Plus why should i tie my money up that much in advance?

It used to be that these little preorder bonuses were little cosmetic bits and bobs. I never really thought they would be as brazen to try to gate off gameplay in the same way. I was wrong. What bothers me is that an editor of a gaming website is essentially minimizing this and saying we are the problem for complaining about free content. I expect far better than that piece of condescension from the Escapist.

Imp Emissary:

Good for them though.

Also, Troy Baker's really getting around. In that clip, he also really looked like Delsin Rowe from the new Infamous.

That's because he played Delsin as well!

jklinders:

JET1971:

*Edit,

Heh, it's the weekend and at least locally the weather was fantastic. people might actually have been enjoying their summer. Excellent points all though. I have not preordered a game in a heck of a long time. I got burned a time too many. Dragon Age Inquisition is offering preorders already but last I checked, system specs had not yet been released. Uh, thanks but no thanks Bioware/EA. Plus why should i tie my money up that much in advance?

It used to be that these little preorder bonuses were little cosmetic bits and bobs. I never really thought they would be as brazen to try to gate off gameplay in the same way. I was wrong. What bothers me is that an editor of a gaming website is essentially minimizing this and saying we are the problem for complaining about free content. I expect far better than that piece of condescension from the Escapist.

I never said anyone was the problem for complaining. I was genuinely curious why getting something free is bad, if you know you are going to spend the money to buy the game already. There are some interesting comments on the YouTube upload if you're interested.

andrearene:

Imp Emissary:

Good for them though.

That's because he played Delsin as well!

Yes, I know. :D

I checked to make sure. Also, he did VERY well as the new(or rather old) Joker.

Not as knowledgeable as some others about Tolkien's lore, so I hope there's a fair bit of it to experince in Shadow of Mordor.

andrearene:

jklinders:

JET1971:

*Edit,

I never said anyone was the problem for complaining. I was genuinely curious why getting something free is bad, if you know you are going to spend the money to buy the game already. There are some interesting comments on the YouTube upload if you're interested.

Thing is, it's not free if you are shoehorned into going to a specific retailer (one who by the way completely ignored the PC market for years until it realized there was still money there and whined about not being able to compete with Steam by that time) or pay extra to get it from elsewhere. There is lots of precedent for this and there is no way that retailer would agree for it to be a free extra given out later. It will be released as a paid for DLC, it happened with Deus Ex Human Revolution and other.

Thanks for reading the replies. I think the issue of how consumers are treated by this industry needs more light on it, not less, hence our criticism.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here