Unskippable: The Witch and the Hundred Knight - Being a Familiar Ain't Easy

The Witch and the Hundred Knight - Being a Familiar Ain't Easy

Man, little one-eyed blobs have it rough in the fantasy world.

Watch Video

A hundred bob should be worth a quid or two.

How were you able to choose a name without the ability to make decisions?!?

Well shite, for a moment I thought The Almighty Bob was making a return...

I love this game (if my avatar weren't a giveaway for that), but I recognize it has a lot of flaws. Thus, I don't blame anyone for not enjoying it. Loved the episode, though. "Why is she talking in Wingdings?" was one of my initial thoughts during the intro, too.

Lvl 64 Klutz:
I love this game (if my avatar weren't a giveaway for that), but I recognize it has a lot of flaws. Thus, I don't blame anyone for not enjoying it. Loved the episode, though. "Why is she talking in Wingdings?" was one of my initial thoughts during the intro, too.

I burnt myself out early in the game leveling up weapons. I'll return to it eventually as the story seems intriguing but... well, I'm about at 8-10 hours and just reached chapter 3. Certain games seem to make me compulsive in that manner.

I'm having flashbacks to Drakengard 1 when I leveled up every weapon in the game.

Lvl 64 Klutz:

Since you're the expert, I'd like to ask: Does choosing your name matter? Watching this video, I got the sense that it was like hiring a dominatrix to boss you around- none of your choices matter, you're only the tool of someone else.

Thunderous Cacophony:

Lvl 64 Klutz:

Since you're the expert, I'd like to ask: Does choosing your name matter? Watching this video, I got the sense that it was like hiring a dominatrix to boss you around- none of your choices matter, you're only the tool of someone else.

The name you pick shows up on the status screen, but other than that there's no real reason behind it until near the end of the game. Most of the choices you make in the game are simply how you react to different situations and each one changes about one line of dialogue and that's it.

There is one choice in the game that is used to get one of the three endings, but it's made super obvious by how many times the game asks you if you're sure you want to make that choice.

Was I the only one hoping for the name to be "chungus" instead?

Okay too much Jim for me.

Blue rings are fine, it's the red rings you need to watch for.

Lvl 64 Klutz:
"Why is she talking in Wingdings?"

I can't know for sure but I assume she is swearing.
Also ??? should be spoken out as triple questionmark.

An incident? Must've upgraded from a situation. We'd better nip this in the bud before it becomes an occurance or worse...a full blown circumstance. (Bonus points if you know what I'm referencing.)

Obviously didn't do this on stream, or the character would have been called Dickbutt...

Thunderous Cacophony:

Lvl 64 Klutz:

On that note, have you seen the get-up of who I assume is the "Witch" of the title? If there's a part 2 to this, I expect Graham & Paul to comment on that.

That was the last time I'm eating while I watching you guys :)
I actually spat tea on my keyboard when Paul mentioned being asked for his quest - awesome episode guys.
Also I would like to request a Part 2 if I may be so bold.

Lvl 64 Klutz:

And here I thought all this time that was rachel alucard that seems to have gone off the handle. Oh well, the more you learn.

GamemasterAnthony:
An incident? Must've upgraded from a situation. We'd better nip this in the bud before it becomes an occurance or worse...a full blown circumstance. (Bonus points if you know what I'm referencing.)

I seem to recall Harry Anderson saying that on Night Court.

Is it me or did the "Echoing Voice" sound like a snarky teenage girl?

canadamus_prime:

Yeah, about that.

http://disgaea.wikia.com/wiki/Metallia

Maksim Tsirulnik:

canadamus_prime:

Yeah, about that.

http://disgaea.wikia.com/wiki/Metallia

Oh. Well that certainly explains that.

Ok so I laughed a LOT more than I should have when that trophy popped up...

It's jarring to see people refer to her as Metallia. I played the import first (Metallica) and the whole thing with english subs next (Metallica).

Related note: wow that voice acting is hideous. Truly dreadful. Eugh. Thank fuck for dual audio.

This game is the best. I played it for a month almost solid, got all the endings and spent easily more than a hundred hours on each of the two versions I bought. I love the character designs- especially Metallica herself. I love the music and... Well the gameplay's not perfect, but as an action RPG it's at least better than Diablo 3. Better than simply "playable".

Candidus:
It's jarring to see people refer to her as Metallia. I played the import first (Metallica) and the whole thing with english subs next (Metallica).

Well, if they didn't change her name, there most likely would've been a lawsuit from the band Metallica.
They sued Victoria's Secret for unauthorized use of the name Metallica 15 years ago.

Mydnyght:

Candidus:

Well, if they didn't change her name, there most likely would've been a lawsuit from the band Metallica.
They sued Victoria's Secret for unauthorized use of the name Metallica 15 years ago.

I'm aware of that. I think it's stupid-- I think that use of a name should only be classed infringement if the "infringing" product/character/whatever and the (painfully awful) band are likely to end up cannibalizing one-another's audiences or being confused with each other... But my thoughts aside, I do know why it was done.

Candidus:

I agree that the situation leading to the name change is honestly stupid, but I will admit that I actually prefer Metallia to Metallica. It just sounds like a much better name to me. Same thing with Malia over Malica and Lia over Lica.

Related note: wow that voice acting is hideous. Truly dreadful. Eugh. Thank fuck for dual audio.

This stuff truly never gets old.

I found the voice acting to be just fine, pretty great actually. But that's all opinions I guess.

This game is the best. I played it for a month almost solid, got all the endings and spent easily more than a hundred hours on each of the two versions I bought. I love the character designs- especially Metallica herself. I love the music and... Well the gameplay's not perfect, but as an action RPG it's at least better than Diablo 3. Better than simply "playable".

This I agree with. I wouldn't be lying if I said that this game is my game of the year. Beating out even "Soul Sacrifice Delta" which was a game I was actively excited for.

While the game is indeed flawed, even unfinished in many areas production-wise, I couldn't help but get completely fascinated with the game.

There is a surprising amount of substance to the game, especially in regards to the story and characters. This is the kind of game you should play through at least twice due to how masterfully everything was put together. I watched an LP of the game after finishing it myself and I was surprised at the sheer amount foreshadowing there was. So many small details in what the character's say, how they say it, and other such things that probably completely flew over your head the first time through. Heck, even some ending events were foreshadowed, in the first 20 minutes of the game no less. Not to mention all the theories that the game leaves open. Practically wrote a paper trying to explain some of mine to others over at GameFAQs.

It also helps that the gameplay is pretty varied and actually allows you to approach many situations in different ways. Though I always saw it as a mix between "Disgaea" and "The Legend of Zelda" more than the typically described "Disgaea" and "Diablo" mix.

Not to mention, while still subjective, I absolutely loved the soundtrack. It felt unique, even among Tenpei Sato other works like in the "Disgaea" series, and I found that it complimented the game really well. Helped build up the game's atmosphere instead of just being a nice sounding background music.

I know I'm coming off as a biased little fanboy but I really enjoyed the game that much. I went into this having no idea what to expect and left completely fascinated. I've beaten the game well around 4 months ago and I still find things to talk about.

Maksim Tsirulnik:

Candidus:

[quote]Related note: wow that voice acting is hideous. Truly dreadful. Eugh. Thank fuck for dual audio.

This stuff truly never gets old.

I found the voice acting to be just fine, pretty great actually. But that's all opinions I guess.

For me it's the American accent. I doubt any American would understand how evokative- and therefore distracting and immersion breaking- it is for non-Americans.

Not that any of that matters in this case. TWHK was mercifully bundled with dual audio- yet another good reason to pick it up- and even if it hadn't been, Sony and Microsoft are both so splendid as to forgo Nintendo's region locking assholery.

Candidus:

Well, I'm Russian and I import games straight from Japan as well. I've listened to games in English, Russian, and Japanese and all three sound just fine to me.

I don't want to get into a dub/sub debate again so all I'll say is that I disagree, quite heavily so. But opinions are opinions, everyone has their own. No use fighting over them when they aren't going to change.

If you enjoy it more, more power to you. Just don't go bashing other people for liking something you don't and everything will be fine.

mustango:

GamemasterAnthony:

I seem to recall Harry Anderson saying that on Night Court.

WE HAVE A WINNER!

mustango receives 1000 bonus points.

Did anyone else think of 'Is your name Douchebag?' at the *select* your name part?

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here