Jimquisition: The Poison of Pre-Order Culture

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

The Poison of Pre-Order Culture

Sega is selling the cast of Alien separately from Alien: Isolation. GameStop wants to help developers make exclusive pre-order content. AAA is getting desperate, and as usual, the customer has to face publishers' consequences for them.

Watch Video

That seems EA like of them to sell the cast separately.

And I can't even remotely agree with Jim here:
Alien Isolation is about Amanda Ripley. Selling a DLC with the original Nostromo Crew (which are all but one, at the time Isolation takes place, are kinda, sorta... you know... dead?) telling a story we already know, then that's fine by me. It's a bonus in every way.
Now if the game would advertise itself as playable version of the original movie or a parallel story where you may run into the original cast, it would be a whole different case. But as it stands, it's not. And if you don't want to pre-order or get the DLC later but still want to know about it... Alien is over 25 years old - get it and freaking watch it!

Truth on a stick right here.

I pretty much agree with you here 99.99% if it wasn't for the fact that I pre odder Witcher 3.

This is because CD Project Red and GOG have Earned, My, Trust

On top of that it was a great deal with a lower price and discounts on GOG games. Now that's how you do a pre order.

Uh... why is this posted by Team Hollywood?

But anyway, pre-ordering has just become more and more toxic, it seems and that's a damn shame. I shall remain being irritated at the Alien pre-order thing. Damn it. Why bother including them if it is just for pre-ordering (the DLC is basically an excuse).

"Believe the hype", I believe, should be a nomination for most stupid thing said about a video game for 2014. Ahead of Ubisoft and Nintendo's claims about equality.

Pre-orders are a nifty tool for distributors to distribute their games according to the demand of certain area's. They'd want their games to be available at all times, so pre-ordering can get them to ship additional copies with the core shipment. THAT is how pre-orders should be used. Instead, the games industry has taken it and warped it in to a hideous monstrosity to be used as performance ratings like they do with Meta-Critic and also allow stores like GameStop to take a monopoly on exclusive content so that they will draw in more buyers. It's a load of crock. The fact that they're withholding Alien content from an Aliens game only shows just how deep they've fallen in to the rabbit hole.

At this point, the only time I preorder games is for Pokemon. You ALWAYS know what your gonna get.

Actually I would say that preordering Nintendo games is the safest thing you can do. You hardly if ever get scammed.

But I feel this message just needs to go to the general public. After all, when it comes to preordering, someone who doesn't have the money to pay $60.00 up front can pay bit by bit by bit in the coming months to the game's release. Extra bonus considering that they get those very bonuses that are killing the industry.

So I feel that preorders die, when they take away the ability to pay just a little bit each time. This rally may work on us, or just well off people in general, but someone who is tight on money but loves to play games is going to be hard pressed to go with it.

I think that really needs to be addressed first and foremost.

I was hyped for Alien: Isolation. Now I just feel the sad. I thought the developers cared more about the franchise and its fans than they did, but no, they just dressed up their greed in a little cosplay show. Come suck my xenomorph lollipop, it's right here in my pants. Mmm, suck it good. You want it, don't you? Yeees.

I used to pre-order games all the time. After getting burned one too many times I no longer do that. I wait until the game releases and then look at getting it.

The pre-order garbage they try to push on consumers to buy it is 99.99999% meaningless in the overall scope of games. So buying a game based on promises from a publisher that has a track record of lies longer than Obama's is not something I will continue to do.

That was a lot of aptly used profanity and flailing about. Good job.

Trying to get us to pre-order a game before any actual gameplay has been seen reeks of desperation, and to think that I was looking forward to this game. Now I have a seeking suspicion that The Creative Assembly and Sega are working together to deliver us another turgid turd like Rome 2. Seriously these guys couldn't deliver on their flagship franchise, what makes people think that they give even the slightest fuck about Alien?

When a pre order was just a weapon or a new vehicle it wasnt really a big deal. But when it comes to big issue stuff like playing as the original cast of Alien or ME3 playing as a Prothean - that stuff should be on the disk. But now companies are blatant with its Dlc. Used to be after release they would start mentioning DLC. Now, before the game is released, they are telling you all about the extra content in advance. Its now part of their development plan, not something extra for the fans to enjoy.

"Believe the hyp...odermic syringe filled with hallucinogens that you'll need to think this shit is worth buying before release!"

The last game i preordered was Pokemon X and thats purely because the only shop in my town that sold 3DS games was small and actually did sell out.

Made the mistake by pre ordering Rome 2..... wont be doing it again as it was such a huge disappointment for me. The end was rather disturbing Jim haha ^_^

Yeah, I stopped pre-ordering things a while back. The only justifiable reason for doing it, in my opinion, is as a hedge against scarcity. Since I can't recall the last time a game I wanted actually had scarcity, there is no reason I would pre-order.

I take a particular stance on Pre-Orders.... You want my money now... give me the bloody game now.

Especially hen it's in regards to digital copies. Now I will pre-order physical books, I will preorder DVD's because I know I want them and there will be a chance of the supply running out... but a bloody digitially downloadable game... the supply is not going to run out people.

Also chances are the fan made Nostromo Mod missions which will come out will likely be better than this.

Evonisia:
Uh... why is this posted by Team Hollywood?

Yeah, I'm wondering that too, someone probably forgot to log-in to the Jim account before posting I guess (I believe the staff have access to all of the staff accounts).

On-topic, I can't entirely agree Jim, I sometimes preorder games for series which I have a long history of playing and enjoying (Pokemon or Mario Kart for example), I haven't regretted any of those yet. But yeah, I wouldn't risk it on a series I have no experience with, better to wait for some reviews and for the price to drop.

So, uh, what do we do about it?

I've tried setting my heels and standing on principle before, and I've noticed two primary reactions:
#1. The people who make these decisions interpret me not playing their game as a lack of interest and murder the game/genre in its crib
#2. The tide of people who don't care how much they're exploited makes my stance irrelevant.

I realize that this idiomatically similar to negotiating with terrorists, but I'm not convinced that this industry wouldn't be murdered fucking dead if we resist the shenanigans. If we video game fans get a reputation with investors as being balky and unpredictable, that means fewer investors and even less risks than the already paltry amount currently being taken.

Steam looks pretty fucking bleak to me, speaking as someone who just joined the glorious PC gaming master race. While I would accept a world where the only games made were indie games, I'd much rather have some AAA still on the menu.

How should defeat preorders without defeating the existence of AAA gaming?

Bindal:
Alien Isolation is about Amanda Ripley. Selling a DLC with the original Nostromo Crew (which are all but one, at the time Isolation takes place, are kinda, sorta... you know... dead?) telling a story we already know, then that's fine by me. It's a bonus in every way.
Now if the game would advertise itself as playable version of the original movie or a parallel story where you may run into the original cast, it would be a whole different case. But as it stands, it's not. And if you don't want to pre-order or get the DLC later but still want to know about it... Alien is over 25 years old - get it and freaking watch it!

Im with this guy here. I kind of think that the dlc is both justified and makes a full purchase of the new game worth it. The only thing stingy here is that sega doesnt have my trust like cd project but perhaps this is there way of being sincere. Time will tell.

Plus someone pointed out how they are trying to "force it down your throat before gameplay is revealed. Well youl still be able to preorder right up until near the game comes out and we have a whole slew of gameplay videos to watch. So if someone wants to preorder now and risk getting dashconned in the process(OH! OH!!!!!! ) lmao Well thats on them.

I only pre order games that I know will be difficult to find down the road. Right now my pre order selection consists of:

Persona Q premium edition
Senran Kagura Shinovi VS
Tales of Xillia 2
Tales of Hearts R
Phoenix Wright VS Professor Layton
Theatrhythm Curtain Call (don't really count to some people but I had trouble finding the first one)
Akibas Trip
Danganronpa 2

Yeah, not really games you can go into a Gamestop and buy without calling 6 stores and finding out if it's there when they come out.

The last game I pre-ordered was Borderlands 2 because I thought i'd save money... then I saw the GOTY edition for about £30 when it launched... yeah...

... not to mention that you are paying upfront for a product/service you have not received and will not receive for a long while. Besides making your mom cringe for doing that, the AAA company is getting money for free which can bolster its financials and encourage this behaviour. Interest alone is significant, just by having millions of dollars sitting pretty in the bank.

Nice salad toss, Jimbo

I've never really understood the whole pre-order thing. Perhaps it comes with growing up in a village in the 1980's. Even if there was something I really wanted, I'd still have to wait weeks for my parents to decide it was time for trip to our local city to get it, (assuming that I already had cash saved for it). And my friends were all in the same position, so there was no "shame" if you didn't have the latest thing immediately. Come to think of it, games weren't hyped for years in advance, so the first I'd know of a game was typically when it was reviewed in a monthly magazine, by which time it had already probably been out for quite a while anyway.

These days, it seems like you're not a real fan of something even if you merely buy it on the first day of release.

Anyway, I'm feeling old now.

With regards to Isolation, Sony had done a lot to make people genuinely excited about this game even after the Colonial Marines debacle. Instead of saying "Hey we know we screwed up with the last game, but this one is better and when the reviews (and word of mouth) is out, everyone will see it", they are pushing pre-order bonuses harder than ever.

Incidently, I asked this on another thread and didn't get an answer. Is the audio for this game completely new and recorded by basically the whole of the cast? Has this been confirmed or are they just going to plunder the original audio from the movie?

I've stopped pre ordering after Rome 2 was released unfinished, nowadays all that pre order bonuses do is convince me to wait for steam sales and game of the year editions.

Last game I pre-order was Colonial Marines. You can probably guess how I feel about that. I just got lucky in that it was leaked how shit the game was before release, so I was able to get my money back.

Evonisia:
"Believe the hype", I believe, should be a nomination for most stupid thing said about a video game for 2014. Ahead of Ubisoft and Nintendo's claims about equality.

Don't forget "Dungeon Keeper failed because we innovated too much."

Speaking of which, that was the entire reason I came to comment. I wanted to make sure Jim was still doing that.

Hey, Jim, you still gonna do the "Dumbest Comment of 2014 Awards"? Might be a tad redundant, but I'm sure people would enjoy it nonetheless.

Last time I pre-ordered was for Blazblue Chronophantasma Limited Edition. Did it out of respect for the developer (Arc System Works) and very happily shelled out nearly $100 for it even though I personally did not really care for most of the bonuses (only the artbook). Turns out the game's localization was poor at best, the music files are not formatted properly (or something like that) so they don't work as intended and just to put the cherry on top, it turns out they cut the Library (a glossary of terms explaining fighting game terms and the Blazblue lore) from the NA version for a very dubious reason.

I am DONE with pre-orders. I'll gladly buy the games at launch if need be like with the upcoming Persona 4 Arena Ultimax or the to be released 2015 localized version of Under Night In-Birth EXE: Late. But I am never going to pre-order for expensive LEs again. I and by extension, my wallet, have had enough. It just is not worth it.

Totally. I've hated (and never actually understood) pre-ordering. I have to this very day, never pre-ordered a game.
I never saw the point and the risk always seemed too high.

Nowaydays companies sometimes make the game ever so slightly cheaper on pre-order or add in some bullshit content which they cut from the original game.

Pre-orders and 95% of DLC can fudge itself.
These are things in the game industry that make me like gaming less and less.

Another thing that hits me are the gaming consumers. They so readily do things which are only for the Publishers good and then on top of things go off and defend them...

I“m totally not a fan, of these pre-order extras, but saying, that the original cast should have been included, in Isolation is like buying an Aliens-DVD and then being disapointed, that it doesn“t include the first movie.

There is one good reason to preorder games that you know you are going to purchase Jim at least from Amazon and that reason is same day delivery. Other than that I fully agree with you. Preorder bonuses, especially store exclusive ones are almost as annoying as a poorly made game.

Bindal:

And why is it that way? Oh, thats right: because the developers and publishers chose to make it that way. And while I do agree that the original cast of Alien is a bonus, that doesn't mean it has to be sold separately. Bonus content can be part of the main package. And such things were part of the main game package before DLC and Pre-Order culture sank their fangs into the industry. This is like selling us cheat codes and alternate costumes separately, only to a much worse degree.

This isn't something created after the fact like Bioshock Infinite's Burial at Sea. Its available as a pre-order bonus. And it'll very likely be on-disc. There is no reason for this to be separate from the main game except to milk extra money from customers and/or Gamestop.

But if you're going to accept and defend this, then you might as well defend Nintendo if they decide tomorrow to lock Captain Falcon behind a pre-order/DLC paywall in Smash Bros U.

I only pre-order CE,because that usually the only way to get them.
I don't even care about the DLC's,most of the time I give them away anyway.
For me,there is no reason to pre-order the normal version,they are not running out anytime soon.

MonkeyPunch:
Totally. I've hated (and never actually understood) pre-ordering. I have to this very day, never pre-ordered a game.
I never saw the point and the risk always seemed too high.

It didn't used to be like this. In the PS2 era, Limited Edition pre-orders were done very well. I still have the Persona 4 artbook I got from it, long after the disc broke and my PS2 damaged beyond repair. I'm thinking Jim alluded to the reason in this video and before: digital market took over. Now you can add more content to your game very easily whereas before you'd have had to shell out more money for a whole new edition. Unfortunately, a good number of companies see this as a means of "producing less for the same profit". Or rather "more profit" considering how much they try to nickle and dime everyone.

SnakeoilSage:
I was hyped for Alien: Isolation. Now I just feel the sad. I thought the developers cared more about the franchise and its fans than they did, but no, they just dressed up their greed in a little cosplay show. Come suck my xenomorph lollipop, it's right here in my pants. Mmm, suck it good. You want it, don't you? Yeees.

The developers do care it's the publisher's who are c**t's,

Preorders are bullshit. Always have been. There's zero real incentive for the customer and they make you look desperate and stupid.
Never preorder.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or