Divinity: Original Sin

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Unfortunately in many RPG's you always make that roll with a -20 penalty.

I played a little of the game at a friend's place. It seemed okay, but he was complaining about how under-optimized it was and showed me that the only thing that even remotely affected his framerate was the resolution, it still ran on a laggy 20+ rate no matter the graphics options.

I only saw a little gameplay but it looked like a ton of fun, though I didn't see any NPC dialog so I cannot report on the writing. So... yeah. That's all from me.

Yes it is possible to deliver an in depth narrative in a game without making us read a several novels worth of text. This is why I never bothered to read any of the Journal entries in Mass Effect and Dragon Age, I don't care about that I'm more interested in the game part.

Having a rich, detailed story in an RPG is a good thing, but there is such a thing as "too much of a good thing." When the plot becomes so overrought with backstory it makes the current events of the game move at the speed of a snail on a salt lick, that's a problem.

The idea of dungeon monsters having Union Reps makes me smile. That said, exposition over some dead dues life isn't so bad, it's just when it's paragraphing opposed to a quick snippet of info.

Wow, that's high praise. I've been thinking about getting this game, maybe I ought to take the leap. I love the classic Infinity Engine RPGs, so maybe this'll help scratch that particular itch until Pillars of Eternity comes along.

There's a special kind of high as a rogue in that game.

Sneaking around, stealing paintings off the walls of a pubs. Stealing stuff off tables. Stealing stuff from pockets. Stealing stuff not on tables. Stealing stuff from that weird place that isn't quite on the table, but not quite off either.

Stealing stuff.

Stealing everything.

If it were me, I would have long ago looted that skeleton and moved onto the next one. I don't need its life... er, death story.

I JUST NEED ITS GOLD

There's always a good method of delivering exposition in such a way that the player is not only not bored to death by it, but is actively interested in learning more. That said, Dragon Age seemed to deliver by truckload and dump it all over my character without any preparation. I couldn't keep up with all the lore entries and after a certain point I thought, "I'm just gonna kill things; let the chips fall where they may." Sometimes I wished there was a more expedient way to read lore, like flipping through the journal during the loading screens.

This comic helped me to bring out my inner skeleton.

Thanks a lot Grey.

Loved the Skeletor reference in the first panel.

Daystar Clarion:
There's a special kind of high as a rogue in that game.

Sneaking around, stealing paintings off the walls of a pubs. Stealing stuff off tables. Stealing stuff from pockets. Stealing stuff not on tables. Stealing stuff from that weird place that isn't quite on the table, but not quite off either.

Stealing stuff.

Stealing everything.

Sounds like Morrowind

you can't have too many words in an RPG.
You can have badly chosen or inexpertly assembled words however.

This game owned my soul for two weeks. Its certainly on the wordier side of things. I felt that was a good thing.

nyysjan:

So, by the second part, do you mean horrible spelling mistakes? I'm fairly certain inexpertly assembled words is just a polite way of saying "You can't spell for shit."

Authentic Skeleton Noises. I wasn't even aware Skeletons could make noise from their jaw-like-area. Let alone speak without stopping for a breath and boring the shit out of the heroes.

Ninmecu:

nyysjan:

So, by the second part, do you mean horrible spelling mistakes? I'm fairly certain inexpertly assembled words is just a polite way of saying "You can't spell for shit."

Authentic Skeleton Noises. I wasn't even aware Skeletons could make noise from their jaw-like-area. Let alone speak without stopping for a breath and boring the shit out of the heroes.

That's more a case of badly chosen word.
Better choice would have been sentences, as in, inexpertly assembled sentences.

Also, badly placed words (like, unskippable hours long paragraphs of text/speech you have to wade through to get to anything of any relevance or fun).

Malbourne:
There's always a good method of delivering exposition in such a way that the player is not only not bored to death by it, but is actively interested in learning more. That said, Dragon Age seemed to deliver by truckload and dump it all over my character without any preparation. I couldn't keep up with all the lore entries and after a certain point I thought, "I'm just gonna kill things; let the chips fall where they may." Sometimes I wished there was a more expedient way to read lore, like flipping through the journal during the loading screens.

Although I can agree with you on some(many?) of the exposition dump sections of DA, I for one have always liked the idea of the journal entries in DA and Mass Effect, as most of them are not required to enjoy/understand the story at hand but if you are interested in learning more you have that ability to read them to expand and flesh out the world to a greater degree. I feel this applies more to Mass Effect's (at least the first) entries for me than DA, but I did read many of both.

nyysjan:

Ninmecu:

nyysjan:

That's more a case of badly chosen word.
Better choice would have been sentences, as in, inexpertly assembled sentences.

Also, badly placed words (like, unskippable hours long paragraphs of text/speech you have to wade through to get to anything of any relevance or fun).

That's what I'd figured, but I like the fact that I found a new way of saying "You can't spell for shit."

So you're waiting for someone to make a mod for the game that has an amazing story?

I feed on the tears of people too impatient to read the text, eager to "just play". No wonder we have so many shitty games today.
While not all of Divinity: Original Sin is that immersive or interesting, I'm savoring every minute of it, dragging the co-op session out as long as we possibly can while we discuss the content.

I would actually probably really enjoy hearing this guy (Girl? I don't really know much about sexual dimorphism as far as skeletons are concerned. I'm going to go with girl)'s story.

She seems really cheerful!

Malbourne:

I feel like TES games are some of the best in regards to how they present the lore. It gets brought up in conversation from time to time, but you're rarely told more than the basics needed to contextualize current goings on, and if you want to learn more you do so by reading the books that are scattered throughout the world. This adds a certain element of exploration to learning about the history, because you actually need to track the information down.

Smilomaniac:
I feed on the tears of people too impatient to read the text, eager to "just play". No wonder we have so many shitty games today.
While not all of Divinity: Original Sin is that immersive or interesting, I'm savoring every minute of it, dragging the co-op session out as long as we possibly can while we discuss the content.

My issue with text/talk heavy RPG's is that much of the dialogue winds up being exposition, and the setting is rarely interesting enough to justify it. I really don't care about the mountains of backstory behind Middle Earth Knockoff 5467 and dry, lifeless presentation does nothing to help.

I guess most folks missed out on the previous Divinity games. The stories are always generic, but they revel in it with snarky self awareness and wit. If you dig the quirky humour, then the franchise will be quite a unique experience for you.

It's a good thing I have a natural +10 for tolerating cheesy fantasy. It really has to be quite terrible to bother me all that much. I'm planning to co-op this with my brother starting tomorrow, and boy am I looking forward to it after everything I've heard about it.

Now, if you were to suggest that an RPG had too many tigers, then you'd be talking crazy.

Come to think of it, there aren't very many RPGs that have tigers in them at all, are there? Somebody needs to get on that. (Far Cry 3 does not count, by the way.)

In this game, my underwear is magic and speaks.

It also has the same basic plot as Arcanum.

I wonder if they play by Finn the Human's Rules for Dungeon-Crawling.
"Hey, look! I found a key!"
"To the treasure chest from earlier?"
"Yep."
"Do we have to go back?"
"We don't have to, we get to!"

all these flesh priviledge jerks holding the calcium-people down

When I'm finished with Witcher 2 I'll play this next. I picked it up on discount in the SSS, when it was still technically early access then was released the day after the sale ended.

While I will agree this is a far wordier game than a lot of RPGs, I don't think it is as bad as the authors seem to think it is. Not from a good or bad thing, but that there isn't that much exposition aside from when dealing with specific NPCS. And it is very easy to skip all that dialogue if it isn't your thing.

I'm 25 hours or so into the game and I have to say it is one of the best RPG's I have played. Not as good a story as Dragon age, but the overall game mechanics are fantastic.

Imre Csete:
I guess most folks missed out on the previous Divinity games. The stories are always generic, but they revel in it with snarky self awareness and wit. If you dig the quirky humour, then the franchise will be quite a unique experience for you.

I don't quite know about "wit." It has that goofy trying-really-fucking-hard-to-be-monty-python humour going on a lot of the time. It's not great, but it's bearable. Baldur's Gate pulled off a similar tone while being far more grounded. When it gets all serious it takes a detour into trite town and quickly becomes unbearable.

Laurents van Cauwenberghe:
So you're waiting for someone to make a mod for the game that has an amazing story?

Remake Planescape: Torment in the Divinity Engine (albeit better optimized) and you'd basically have the best game ever made.

That kills a lot of Japanese games (particularly RPGs) for me, far too much talking/reading that often comes off as just redundant and melodramatic. It takes a lot of skill and talent to turn a phrase and do more with less, that's why when someone can pull it off it really is worthy of praise.

I have heard good things about it but I never really felt motivated to try it out. I guess the combat might be fun but eh... a non-action RPG without a good story is like a burger joint without good burgers. They might have the best fries in the world, but that's not what I'm there for.

Imre Csete:

I feel in a way that generic stories that make fun of themselves are worse then just bad stories themselves, it's admitting to a problem and choosing to do nothing about it.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here