Escapist News Now: Thor Is Now A Girl!

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Thor Is Now A Girl!

Thor Is No Longer Worthy: He Becomes a She, TMNT Kinect XBLA Game, Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire New MegaEvolutions, Early Access Coming To Consoles?

Watch Video

Hmm, what's the explanation behind the change?

Didn't the Ragnarok cycle got broken way back in the continuity?

Or are we experience a Nth Doctor situation?

Still, a very interesting development.

EDIT: Ok so it is a new individual, not any transformation or shape shift.

Just want to point out if DC came out and changed Wonder Woman to a man, the backlash would be felt by the grandchildren of the writers.
Now whatever you think of new and imboobed Thor, remember its a gimmick designed to sell comics for 'shock' value. Like when they made Superman fat or SpiderMan black.

Ugh. Just ugh.

On all topics in this video.

Making a character that has always been male female just to get more readers.

A Ninja Turtles game based on the soulless new movie... and Kinect.

And paid alphas now also on consoles.

I don't read comics really, so as long as there's a logical reason behind the Thor switch then more power to them I guess. I'd be lying if I said my scepticism alarm wasn't going on and I didn't think it was a thinly veiled pandering to what passes for 'equality' for the average social justice blogger.

I do agree though that a change from Wonder Woman to Wonder Man would be followed by a ragefest worthy of its own new comic book series. As I said... 'equality'. I guess I'm just a big bitter cynic, meh. :P

Herf derf derf. Imagine if the genders were reversed herf derf.

Or has that insightful argument already been made?

What truly confuses me about this is some of the terminology being used. Thor loses his powers, so a heretofore unknown Asgardian takes up Mjolnir and gains the power of Thor.
I'm okay with all of that. But surely Thor would just remain Thor. The hammer isn't his social security card, we're not talking a form of aetherial identity theft here.

I know it seems really nit picky but Thor's about the only Marvel hero who's name isn't just a secret identity. You can pick up the Shield and become Captain America, you can put on the web suit and be Spider-Man but that doesn't make you Steve Rogers and Peter Parker.

Anyway, it's an interesting development and it'll be fun to see how it plays out while it lasts.

A wild stab in the dark here that we're getting this plot line as a way to retcon Valkyrie back into the main comic lineup. We all know that eventually Dong-Thor's going to get his powers back.

I'm sure this is some kind of sacrelige to someone. I mean, people still actually worship these gods.
And honestly sometimes I feel a bit gloomy when people say "Thor, thats the guy from the comics right?".
But whatever.
I live under the philosophy that people should be able to do as they want as long as it doesn't hurt someone else.

Also, I kinda feel like things like these are forced. As if they do it just to prove, "Hey, we are gender equal too guy- I mean peoples!" to earn some easy respect.

more early access is the last thing this industry needs... You already see it going wrong on steam too much, quality control is one of the last advantages consoles have. Add early access to them and that goes down the drain. Besides, isn't the whole point of early access to give indie developers a chance to generate some early funding without having to go to a publisher? how many bedroom programmers work on consoles? I'm getting the feeling that this would be for the benefit of neither the consumer nor small developers...

Seraj33:
I'm sure this is some kind of sacrelige to someone. I mean, people still actually worship these gods.
And honestly sometimes I feel a bit gloomy when people say "Thor, thats the guy from the comics right?".
But whatever.
I live under the philosophy that people should be able to do as they want as long as it doesn't hurt someone else.

Also, I kinda feel like things like these are forced. As if they do it just to prove, "Hey, we are gender equal too guy- I mean peoples!" to earn some easy respect.

Would it be more sacriligious than turning him into a comic book character in the first place?

Floppertje:

Seraj33:
But whatever.

Would it be more sacriligious than turning him into a comic book character in the first place?

Naaah, I don't think so. That particular comment was meant more as semi-joke, but also as a question sort of. Wondering if it actually WOULD offend someone up there in the north. But I doubt it, they are pretty chill people. HAH..

Floppertje:
(snip) quality control is one of the last advantages consoles have.

And anyone who've watched AVGN know what will happen without it.

Seraj33:
Naaah, I don't think so. That particular comment was meant more as semi-joke, but also as a question sort of. Wondering if it actually WOULD offend someone up there in the north. But I doubt it, they are pretty chill people. HAH..

Besides, Marvel covers their arses by not claiming the Asgardians are the Norse gods. They're an alien race who may just have inspired the Aesir and Vanir.
I don't think any Asatrú neo-pagan feels offended by the depictions.

Silentpony:
Just want to point out if DC came out and changed Wonder Woman to a man, the backlash would be felt by the grandchildren of the writers.
Now whatever you think of new and imboobed Thor, remember its a gimmick designed to sell comics for 'shock' value. Like when they made Superman fat or SpiderMan black.

Wonderman, flamboyant gay amazon of a female only tribe (other then him). Once a mild mannered hair stylist is now a super charge hero ready to defend the world. Id buy that.

Wonderman is owned by Marvel....

As for Thor now being replace a female who is also named Thor I expect it to flop hard. Disturbingly I prefer my main 3 Avengers AKA Captain America, Iron-Man, & Thor to be white males.

What I rather see though is female Wolverine, Cyclops, Angel, & Beast. Though I think I mentioned Female Beast before. Hell it would at least be a funny way to mess with Last Century Fox.

Okay, I'm fine with Thor being a girl, but what happened to the old Thor? Could somebody well versed in comics explain to me how this came about?

RatGouf:

What I rather see though is female Wolverine, Cyclops, Angel, & Beast. Though I think I mentioned Female Beast before. Hell it would at least be a funny way to mess with Last Century Fox.

Female Wolverine exists. X-23 Laura Kinney. And I'm fairly certain that there's an female Angel somewhere that I just can't remember the name.

sumanoskae:
Okay, I'm fine with Thor being a girl, but what happened to the old Thor? Could somebody well versed in comics explain to me how this came about?

I think it's a completely new story that will be made.

Well, the new Captain Marvel is still selling well. I'm pretty sure the new Thor will sell well as long as the story is good. Looking foreword to adding it to my pull file.

Now if only DC didn't make Batgirl Beyond disappear, that had looked promising too.

I'm curious how much of the She-Thor deal is motivated by the writers thinking "hey, remember how the original series was about a random guy with the hammer and not literally Thor the Norse god? Why'd we ret-con that out again?" and how much of it is just that many comic writers are the stupidest people you'll ever meet failing mythology forever.

To be clear, both of those things are irredeemably stupid; the first is just more a matter of internal consistency (when Captain America picked up the hammer he was still Cap, for instance) and the latter is more a matter of someone having to resort to working for Marvel because the job market for second-grade dropouts is a bit compact right now.

Silentpony:

Because Wonder Woman is one of very few big name female heroes that DC has. Marvel has a zillion big male heroes, one becoming female isn't such a big deal.

FenrirWulf:

RatGouf:

Female Wolverine exists. X-23 Laura Kinney. And I'm fairly certain that there's a female Angel somewhere that I just can't remember the name.

But X-23 is a female clone of the original male version of Wolverine. I mean an actual Female Wolverine Pre Weapon-X if they had intended to mess with retcons this much.

I can think of a dozen Norse goddesses off the top of my head, many of which could be good comic book material. Going for the theatrical potential of replacing the male Thor with a female version (who should have her own name, even if she takes up Mjolnir) is just cheap publicity. It will be interesting to see how their sales do and how they will spin it if it tanks (probably the original Thor becoming "worthy" again). I haven't read the comics in years although I do watch their movies. As for anger over it, there have been too many retcons and wholesale changes in the comics universes over the years to waste anger over it. Although I can hear the screams of rage already... and none of this will stop me from watching Guardians of the Galaxy on August 1st :D

Ehh have mixed opinions on this...

On one hand I am really happy to see more strong female super heros being put into comics, but on the flip side thor seems a little bit of an odd choice...

Oh well not really into marvel comics much anyway but still cool to see this!

now excuse me while I take cover from the inevitable thor fan strike that will probably whine about this...

Diddy_Mao:
Herf derf derf. Imagine if the genders were reversed herf derf.

Or has that insightful argument already been made?

Glad to know you could respond to that insightful argument with an insightful response.

Big 'meh' on the Thor thing for me, save for one observation: this was done to appeal to women? Really? I mean- Thor's one of the only big superheroes to have a real entrenched 'hunk' status going on (to the point that was a Big Bang joke, even.) So, you're going to appeal to my gender by taking away my eye candy? I'm not sure I follow this one...Like I said though, mostly just 'meh'.

The female name closest in Swedish is Tora. Cute! Not so sure about the concept though.

If you want a character to appeal to female readers WHY NOT MAKE A NEW CHARACTER CONCEPT BASED ON EXACTLY THAT INSTEAD OF TAKING THE MOST TESTOSTERONY GOD OF ALL TIME AND GIVING HIM BOOBS?

I swear. Ofttimes I feel like Mugatu from Zoolander.

If they do it properly good on em, but I can't see it being done without a Ret Con (due to the whole hammer being his and forged for him thing). Then it gets a bit iffy in my eyes as i can't help but be cynical and say "ret conning for shock value and "look at us we are inclusive"".

Add more female heros sure, more are needed (oddly comic books are probably one of the places with a closer to 50/50 gender split, even if the reasons for some of the female heros inclusion in comics isn't for the "right" reasons and more for their design including low cut tops, something that is changing slowly) but you don't need to rip up established stuff to do that :P

But hey, i'm a natural cynic when it comes to basically everything so maybe they will do this properly.

tzimize:
If you want a character to appeal to female readers WHY NOT MAKE A NEW CHARACTER CONCEPT BASED ON EXACTLY THAT INSTEAD OF TAKING THE MOST TESTOSTERONY GOD OF ALL TIME AND GIVING HIM BOOBS?

I swear. Ofttimes I feel like Mugatu from Zoolander.

Thank you, glad I'm not the only one to think this, just maybe in a less shouty way :P

Seraj33:

Floppertje:

Seraj33:
But whatever.

I've actually met someone who was legally allowed to marry couples as a priest of Thor. I'm pretty sure he wouldn't be offended.

I'm actually willing toi give this a chance, but then again, I also liked the Superiour Spider-man story line. So I guess I'm not with the cool guys.

The mantel God-of-Thunder has been passed down before.
I believe even Storm of the X-men at one point wielded Mjolnir.

Curious to see how it goes and I'm going to see if this story-line has already started so I can catch up. Haven't read much Thor comics, yet.

Ranorak:
I'm actually willing toi give this a chance, but then again, I also liked the Superiour Spider-man story line. So I guess I'm not with the cool guys.

The mantel God-of-Thunder has been passed down before.
I believe even Storm of the X-men at one point wielded Mjolnir.

Curious to see how it goes and I'm going to see if this story-line has already started so I can catch up. Haven't read much Thor comics, yet.

This is my issue though- they're going "Look, it's a female Thor, she's got the hammer and everything!"

Caps picked up the hammer, random people have picked up the hammer. Doesn't make them Thor. All she really has over them is a similar armour design in my mind.

£2 says it'll be revealed it's an alternate Universe/Timeline and Thor gets his shit back. Thor-ina/Tora will remain as a new asgardian hero.

Already said this on another thread on this subject, but they did the same thing with Hawkeye when he went and became Ronin and they still refer to Kate Bishop as Hawkeye when she pops into Clint's story (he even remarks that had she pushed more for remaining Hawkeye, she would have deserved it more than him by now).

However, this could also turn out like Ghost Rider and end up with her getting replaced by ANOTHER legacy character. All I know of that Ghost Rider was her Circle of Four appearance, and for the love of Odin don't let this Thor be like that where "Temporary Replacement - Only here till her arc is up" hangs in neon lights over their head due to their... abrasive personality (all four characters in that book were bastards, but Venom, Red Hulk, and X-23 had a lot of depth to them even in that crossover).

I also pointed out that Agent Venom has become THE Venom to me, Miles Morales THE Ultimate Spider-man, and so on, so there is a chance this will click. Still, like I also said previously, I have a feeling that the "What if Gwen Stacy got bitten by the spider" will be the more interesting genderswap twist coming from Marvel in the coming books (plus her costume is awesome as hell, going a different direction but retaining an iconic look, while this one doesn't diverge far enough for my tastes).

erbkaiser:
Ugh. Just ugh.

A Ninja Turtles game based on the soulless new movie... and Kinect.

And paid alphas now also on consoles.

<.< Um...That's not what happend.

The male Thor is still around, but now his hammer belongs to a woman who has become the new "Thor".

My guess is the name is also a title.

Anyway, would like to know more about this new Thor. Wonder what/who she was before becoming the new wielder of Mjolnir.

Based on her getup, I assume she was a valkyrie.

Next they'll make Loki have sex with a horse as a means of helping Asgard get out of paying one of its contractors.

Imp Emissary:

erbkaiser:
Ugh. Just ugh.

The male Thor is still around, but now his hammer belongs to a woman who has become the new "Thor".

Anyway, would like to know more about this new Thor. Wonder what/who she was before becoming the new wielder of Mjolnir.

That's not what Marvel is saying. They clearly state this IS (supposed to be) Thor -- not She-Thor, not Thorina, etc.. They want us to accept this female character as Thor, not as a new character with Thor's powers.

erbkaiser:

Imp Emissary:

erbkaiser:
Ugh. Just ugh.

That's not what Marvel is saying. They clearly state this IS (supposed to be) Thor -- not She-Thor, not Thorina, etc.. They want us to accept this female character as Thor, not as a new character with Thor's powers.

I don't see where you're going with this. They said Mjolnir found Thor "unworthy", so it went to someone else, and now "the Thor" is a woman. Kind of like how if a woman put on the stars and stripes outfit and held the shield (and obviously did all the other stuff too), they can become "Captain America".

They didn't take Thor and make him a woman, he lost his "job" and now a woman has it.
Like I said, Thor may be more than a name(Ex: it could be a title, or a "Role" as well).

I'll grant you, I don't know of them ever mentioning that Thor is a name and a title/role/job, but based on how they're talking about it, that would be my guess.

That, or anyone who becomes the one to use Mjolnir gets a name change. :/
Either way, they didn't take Thor and make him a woman. He was "replaced" with one when he was found "unworthy".
<.< I wonder why he was found unworthy though...

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here