The Escapist Show: Episode 13: Tom Clancy's HAWX

Episode 13: Tom Clancy's HAWX

This week, we visit Red Storm Entertainment for a look at Tom Clancy's HAWX. Plus, MovieBob reviews My Bloody Valentine 3D and we present a preview of Zero Punctuation.

This week's musical guests:

Ian Dorsch - "Escapist Show Theme"
Frank Klepacki - "Awakening of Aggression"

Watch Video

Not bad. Not bad at all.

Was it me or did Russ look really bored while the other guy was playing HAWX? well until the near miss with a building. It doesn't look like a very enjoyable game.

It's kind of nice to know moviebob isn't made entirely of spite and still has a sharp wit that should be viewed in 3d for the best effect...

carnkhan4:

Was it me or did Russ look really bored while the other guy was playing HAWX? well until the near miss with a building. It doesn't look like a very enjoyable game.

Not just you, but if he'd been in the suit of armour all day, I wouldn't be surprised if Russ was just falling asleep.

The_root_of_all_evil:

carnkhan4:

Not just you, but if he'd been in the suit of armour all day, I wouldn't be surprised if Russ was just falling asleep.

"I could probably wear one of those..."

Oh Russ, little did you know, little did you know...

As for Moviebob... well. He sounds like he's reading. Trailing off at the end of every single sentence. Also the swearing seems crowbarred in, it always seems to have more impact if they speaker builds up to it with the tone of their voice and aggravation.

carnkhan4:

Yea, I noticed that as well. The other guy sounded like he was trying too hard to make the game sound good.

Brokkr:

carnkhan4:

Yea, I noticed that as well. The other guy sounded like he was trying too hard to make the game sound good.

Well that is his job. Mind you, it sorta looks like he has his work cut out for him.

So Yahtzee caved to pressure and is reviewing Gears 2.

I don't like Moviebob.

Brokkr:

carnkhan4:

Agreed. Russ looked like he actually wanted to... y'know... play the game.

Brokkr:

carnkhan4:

"Uh, yeah, so you can see individual trees! Isn't that cool?! Oh look, individual panes of glass!" Makes you wonder if there's actually any dogfights.

J-Man:

Brokkr:

carnkhan4:

Agreed. Russ looked like he actually wanted to... y'know... play the game.

That's it exactly. I was fascinated by the level of detail and how damn exciting the game looks, and once I got my hands on it, I didn't want to give it back. Unfortunately, by the time I got to play we'd already been there for several hours and had to go.

I will definitely be bothering Red Storm to slip me a copy of this game, have no doubt.

Heh, coal miner's slaughter.

Do interviews involve anybody getting paid?

EDIT: Sorry about that.

Knight Templar:
Do interviews involve anybody geting payed?

No. Not at all. Ever.

I will, however, pay you to use spellchecker or a dictionary or something.

Oh Russ, how we love you so.

How heavy would say that suit was?
It didn't look very mobile, how on earth do people run in those?

The HAWX Guy made me smile, it seemed like he genuinely enjoyed the game, and seemed to have a really good experience with it.

I can't wait, Red Storm is a pretty decent developer, and I need my fix of Fighter Planes.

MovieBoB did what he was supposed to do, Review the movie. He differs from Yahtzee in that you should expect review first, humor second, which is a reversal of Yahtzee. I think he's a great reviewer in his own right, and changed my mind on what I assumed to be another cavalcade of mediocrity.(Which it is apparently, but very fun mediocrity.)

So all in all, a solid show. These always brighten up my Tuesday.

a little worried Red Storm, although I loved their previous games, was focusing so much on the details of the part you're supposed to avoid

but all in all, great show

Aries_Split:

That thing weighed 50 pounds, easy. Perhaps as much as 80. They actually told me how much it weighed, but I forgot. Aside from the ceramic plates in the chest, back and shoulders, it also had rigid pads all up the legs and arms. I was physically exhausted after wearing it for half an hour and pretty much just standing still. I probably could have run with it, but not far. I wasn't even carrying a pack or anything, and that rifle was made of resin or rubber, not metal. The soldiers who wear that stuff all day every day have my undying respect.

very nice. BTW, did you see the ZP versions of mark and dom? HILLARIOUS!

Russ Pitts:

Aries_Split:

That thing weighed 50 pounds, easy. Perhaps as much as 80. They actually told me how much it weighed, but I forgot. Aside from the ceramic plates in the chest, back and shoulders, it also had rigid pads all up the legs and arms. I was physically exhausted after wearing it for half an hour and pretty much just standing still. I probably could have run with it, but not far. I wasn't even carrying a pack or anything, and that rifle was made of resin or rubber, not metal. The soldiers who wear that stuff all day every day have my undying respect.

How much is that in kilos?

So I've started to notice a trend... Russ, you have no shame do you?

xitel:

You could gleam that just from looking at him.

Indigo_Dingo:

xitel:

Glean, and why would you say that?

xitel:

Indigo_Dingo:

xitel:

Glean, and why would you say that?

It was a typo.

Do we really have to go into this?

carnkhan4:
Not bad. Not bad at all.

I agree with you on all of these points. He did look bored, but maybe just tired from running around in the combat armor all day. Also, the game didn't look to enthralling, but I have never been a fan off flying games. Just not my style.

Also, YAY MOVIEBOB! <3

I didn't get a chance to see Valentine 3D :( I would have to drive 45 minutes just to do so...and well...I just don't want to drive that far.

The lack of Jeff in this episode is depressing.

Aries_Split:

ill second that...

Gotta love moviebob, awesome as usual...
oh yeah, right, concerning the actual show, it usually is pretty good, not this time though (imo). But I bet even the host couldn't quite be a bastard and say to the guy playing the game "say... that looks like a game i used to play on my 386"
edit: read all the comments, saw Russ writing about the game...
You wanted to play it, really?!

Indigo_Dingo:
How much is that in kilos?

I have no idea. That metric system legislation failed back during the Carter administration. My chance to learn your goofy, European ways of weights and measures passed and is now gone forever.

milomalo:

Aries_Split:

ill second that...

Jeff will return soon. Maybe not next week, but soon. I promise.

Well, that was interesting and informative, even the Moviebob section, even if the narrator sounded like he was trying too hard to sound...however he was trying to sound. Unfriendly, I suppose. Yeah, lets go with that.

Oh my God... I am speechless. WHAT THE FUCK has Red Storm has to do with Hawx or anything for that matter ?!!

In case you really don`t know Russ:

1. Hawx is developed in a Ubisoft studio in Romania. Who the FUCK is that guy you were talking to in the interview ?
2. Red Storm is a studio that develops games under the Ubisoft logo and they don`t own shit anymore.
3. The last thing that Red Storm did on any of the Tom Clancy games was the Multiplayer for GRAW 2 X360 version. And they had most of their work done by Daemonware.

Please get a grip on reality, thx.

Bunny:

1. Travis Getz is the authenticity coordinator for Red Storm. He's the guy the various other Ubisoft studios (including the one in Bucharest) call when they have questions about various bits of military hardware (including the fighter planes featured in HAWX).

2. That's not exactly true. But they couldn't show me what they were working on while we were there. Chances are we'll get a first look at that in late spring or early summer.

3. Again, not entirely true. In addition to Travis's contributions in the area of authenticity, RSE sends various developers and writers all over the world to the various Ubi studios to consult on the Tom Clancy franchise. In so far as every Tom Clancy game has a distinct look and feel, you can directly attribute that to RSE's behind-the-scenes collaboration with Ubi.

Red Storm created the Tom Clancy game franchise, and even though they're a wholly-owned subsidiary of Ubisoft, and many of the Clancy series have migrated off or been created at other Ubisoft studios, Ubi still leans heavily on Red Storm for help in maintaining the purity of the franchise. I know this because I drove over there and asked around a bit. ;)

I think it's a fair criticism to wonder why we were at RSE, instead of Ubi Bucharest, to get our preview of HAWX, but ... well ... Bucharest is kinda far from North Carolina. Ubi was gracious enough to let us look at the build they sent to Red Storm, and I wasn't about to argue :)

good episode, but im not too fond of Moviebob. Did he really just say Mall cop was good?

Burn bunny BUUUUURRNNNNN!!!!

"Mall Cop" IS surprisingly decent. Could've been awful, isn't a masterpiece, but it works at what it sets out to do. It's a family film, fine, but compare it to shit like "The Pacifier" and it's in the upper-tier of it's subgenre.

Moviebob is as great as always. Well, not as great as when he reviewed Twillight, but still awesome.
You guys should give him a personal weekly show.

I don't usually watch horror movies, but the one MovieBob talks about sounds nice.

Also, I didn't see a ZP preview during the duration of the video.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here