No Right Answer: Most Underrated Marvel Character - With Jim Sterling!

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Most Underrated Marvel Character - With Jim Sterling!

The sirs of squabble butt heads against the incomparable Jim Sterling in a race to see if anyone on the Marvel roster is more underrated that Mysterio.

Watch Video

Namor shouts things like "IMPERIOUS REX!" while Mysterio is the villain I've really wanted to see in a movie, while Black Panther would make for an excellent addition to the Avengers arc.

Usually, I have a fairly weighted opinion for one choice, but in this case the only thing I can decide on is that Asbestos Lady is still awful.

I can't decide, so I'm going to default to Jim Sterling winning.

So, if I have the score correctly:

Namor vs. Mysterio - Mysterio
Mysterio vs. Black Panther - Mysterio
Mysterio vs. Asbestos Lady - Asbestos Lady

Therefore, by the transitive properties of this debate, Asbestos Lady > Black Panther and Namor. Give her a movie, stat!

You know....about the diversity of marvel...Thor is a lady now (not a ladyboy even, a regular lady), Cap is a black man, nobody knows who the hell iron man is and there is an angel from a relatively unrelated universe in the avengers. How much diversity can fit in one screen?

More on topic: Asbestos Lady? Really? Eh....speechless.

Mysterio would be awesome to see on the silver screen though. I wouldnt mind Namor or Black Panther either for that matter.

tzimize:
You know....about the diversity of marvel...Thor is a lady now (not a ladyboy even, a regular lady), Cap is a black man, nobody knows who the hell iron man is and there is an angel from a relatively unrelated universe in the avengers. How much diversity can fit in one screen?

Mysterio would be awesome to see on the silver screen though. I wouldnt mind Namor or Black Panther either for that matter.

Iron Man is still Tony Stark that's been confirmed.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=54132

The most underrated Marvel character is She-Hulk. The only reason the Guardians of the Galaxy are getting a movie and She-Hulk isn't is because they can make yet another movie starring a white guy. She-Hulk is stronger than Thor, funnier than Mysterio, and hotter than Loki. Yeah, I said it. Come get me.

She-Hulk movie. Make it happen, Marvel.

I'd love to see Mysterio use all practical effects in the movie to show just how real they can be. Everyone's blown away figuratively (and possibly literally) and it sparks an in-universe rush back to the old school of filmmaking. At the end of the flick, when Spidey finally tracks him down, the helmet cracks open and we see...

Also, I'm with the Facebook comments: I want a Black Bolt movie, darn it! Or at least work him and the Inhumans into the next Avengers/Agents of SHIELD.

xD HA! Thank God for all of you!

Most fun episode in a long while.

Got to say though, I'm with Jim on Mysterio. He can be a villain, a Hero, can say; "D: I'm dieing!" then kick Spidy in the balls before running away, and he can trick Wolverine into killing all his friends.

What more could we ask for? :D

Failing that. A She-Hulk movie, or a She-Hulk & Hulk movie. :)

Chiming in..... yeah, I want a She-Hulk film.

Ally McBeal meets WCW meets Sex & the City meets Robot Chicken meets stand-up comedy meets the Kool-Aid Man.

Why is this not a thing in the movies?!

Asbestos Lady vs. Cave Johnson.
Because c'mon.
You know it'd be pretty interesting :D
OT: Good episode today, going in the more obscure stuff, I see :)

Does Daredevil count as underrated? In comic circles, he's pretty well loved (mainly because Waid and his ongoing is great) but in the public eye, everyone only knows him from that dopey movie. If he qualifies, he's definitely my pick.

So what Jim is saying is I can blame Mysterio for Marvel unleashing a story about the Hulk banging She-Hulk and spawning a bunch of of inbred cannibal Hulks on the world.

Seriously.

Content aside, the format of this episode is just orders of magnitude better than the usual format.

You should stick to the whole "a challenger appears" bit where you cycle through fast-pitches for multiple options and each round results in an elimination. It gives it more of an actual debate/tournament feel and it lets you toss more of the nostalgia that's the sole draw of the show into a single episode.

Basically I'm not sure, having seen this one, that I'll keep watching if you go back to the old point/counterpoint format. I don't think I realized how bored I was with it until now.

(No offense, and obviously it's your show so do what you want. Just offering an opinion/feedback.)

So... Green Screen or a genuine visit from Jim? If it was green screen, it was very well done... Otherwise... how far apart do you guys live?

Anyway... Yeah, I'd love to see a well done Mysterio movie. Though I think they'd have to go with some CGI just for us to see it from the hero's perspective (ie, like seeing from the POV of people affected by the fear toxin in Batman Begins. Mysterio uses hallucinogens, doesn't he?).

Squirrel Girl

Shes essentially a gag character but this gag character has: outwitted a army of souped up Nazi Mecha, beat Wolverine hand to hand, kicked Deadpool's arse, and taken down that one villain by herself oh whatshisname... THANOS

Nico Minrou from the Runaways, funny, snarky, pragmatic, kind, brave and strong she has all the qualities that make her a great hero and someone who you don't want to piss off

MOON KNIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jim_Callahan:
Content aside, the format of this episode is just orders of magnitude better than the usual format.

You should stick to the whole "a challenger appears" bit where you cycle through fast-pitches for multiple options and each round results in an elimination. It gives it more of an actual debate/tournament feel and it lets you toss more of the nostalgia that's the sole draw of the show into a single episode.

Basically I'm not sure, having seen this one, that I'll keep watching if you go back to the old point/counterpoint format. I don't think I realized how bored I was with it until now.

(No offense, and obviously it's your show so do what you want. Just offering an opinion/feedback.)

The reason we do different formats is to see what people want. Your feedback is vital and appreciated, since now that we know that people like this style of debate, we can feel confident in doing more like it in the future. View numbers and further feedback will determine how often we do episodes like this of course, so if you truly like it, please share the link with everyone you can. If this episode gets higher than normal views, it gives us direct reason to keep doing things like this.

Personally I (Dan) loved it, though with no drinking round I was required to do more images. Ugg, editing!

The_Darkness:
So... Green Screen or a genuine visit from Jim? If it was green screen, it was very well done... Otherwise... how far apart do you guys live?

I was visiting Portland and we filmed two episodes while I was out there. I plan to be going back now and then, so there should be more in future.

The_Darkness:

Anyway... Yeah, I'd love to see a well done Mysterio movie. Though I think they'd have to go with some CGI just for us to see it from the hero's perspective (ie, like seeing from the POV of people affected by the fear toxin in Batman Begins. Mysterio uses hallucinogens, doesn't he?).

No green screen I'm afraid. we are in Oregon and Washington, while Jim is based in Mississippi. He was on vacation in our neck of the woods, and we demanded he film with us. Despite having what can only be described as a plague of plagues, he agreed. What a trooper!

Raika:
The most underrated Marvel character is She-Hulk. The only reason the Guardians of the Galaxy are getting a movie and She-Hulk isn't is because they can make yet another movie starring a white guy. She-Hulk is stronger than Thor, funnier than Mysterio, and hotter than Loki. Yeah, I said it. Come get me.

Clearly the solution is to use the John Byrne version that breaks the fourth wall constantly and have Deadpool as the antagonist trying to take over the movie for himself. It'll be fun and combine two fan favorite characters!

Falterfire:

Raika:

Clearly the solution is to use the John Byrne version that breaks the fourth wall constantly and have Deadpool as the antagonist trying to take over the movie for himself. It'll be fun and combine two fan favorite characters!

If you put She-Hulk and Deadpool in the same room and they start fourth-wall-breaking, there won't be enough of it left to put back together when the dust settles.

Leonardo Huizar:
Squirrel Girl

Shes essentially a gag character but this gag character has: outwitted a army of souped up Nazi Mecha, beat Wolverine hand to hand, kicked Deadpool's arse, and taken down that one villain by herself oh whatshisname... THANOS

It's debatable of whether or not it was the actual Thanos she defeated, but still her other accomplishments make up for it. I just want to see the entire Great Lakes Avengers show up in the movieverse.

tzimize:

Thor is a girl yes but that's not Odinson turned to a girl it's just that the new wielder of Mjolnir is a chick now
Captain America is The Falcon and it's not the first time someone else has taken over that role
Iron Man is still Tony Stark that much has been confirmed
and that angel in the Avengers, I assume you mean Angela in which case it's been "revealed" she's Odin's daughter, Thor and Loki's sister...

back on topic: Mysterio would make a hell of a villain and Asbestos Lady... really? Didn't you see Breaking Bad? We all know what white people that need money do when they get cancer. It would be a retelling of that story but with more boobs...

Well now we have to see the DC version of this one! Chop chop get to making it!

Thanks in advance :D

i4njw:
Does Daredevil count as underrated? In comic circles, he's pretty well loved (mainly because Waid and his ongoing is great) but in the public eye, everyone only knows him from that dopey movie. If he qualifies, he's definitely my pick.

Agreed on Waid's excellent run with Daredevil, bringing back the swashbuckling adventure feel and bringing it away from the dark-n-grittiness Miller introduced back in, what, the 70's or something. I think DD's still an Avenger.
On the "Mysterio has cancer" thing, when he found out he was dying, he picked a fight with Daredevil because he thought Spider-Man was replaced with a clone again.
For everyone rooting for a She-Hulk movie, yeah I want it too, but first they have to get the Hulk's movies back up off the ground, so they can introduce Bruce Banner's cousin Jennifer Walters, and have her get that ill-fated blood transfusion.

I liked how this episode's format was run. Very unique and funny. Even to the point where Jim Sterling was trying to gauge it by saying "Before you even say anything...!" like he was going in for the OHKO designed for this system. I'd like to see you guys do more of it.

Ima Lemming:
So what Jim is saying is I can blame Mysterio for Marvel unleashing a story about the Hulk banging She-Hulk and spawning a bunch of of inbred cannibal Hulks on the world.

Seriously.

Old Man Logan was great. It's not blame that needs to be assigned, but praise!

Dan beat Jim? How did this happen?

GZGoten:

tzimize:

Thor is a girl yes but that's not Odinson turned to a girl it's just that the new wielder of Mjolnir is a chick now
Captain America is The Falcon and it's not the first time someone else has taken over that role
Iron Man is still Tony Stark that much has been confirmed
and that angel in the Avengers, I assume you mean Angela in which case it's been "revealed" she's Odin's daughter, Thor and Loki's sister...

back on topic: Mysterio would make a hell of a villain and Asbestos Lady... really? Didn't you see Breaking Bad? We all know what white people that need money do when they get cancer. It would be a retelling of that story but with more boobs...

So Angela is not Angela from the Spawn universe? Or is this the Marvel version of her?

Blech. I'm just sick and tired of new people (or ofttimes even they are old) in old costumes. If you want another black superhero, another woman, another chinese guy whatever the hell it is....why not MAKE one? Honestly. They are working in a business that should be exploding with creativity, they have parallel universes for gods sake. Planets all over the universe, other dimensions, even the liberty to write stories from other times and or timelines...and all they can manage is put someone we know in someone elses costume? Pathetic. I wish they would just stop.

I KNOW there has to be a business reason for it. Marketability or whatever...but I just dont understand WHY that is. If someone loves a particular superhero, they want to read about THAT superhero. People dont love captain america for his costume. They love him for Steve Rogers. If you want to write about Falcon, WRITE ABOUT FALCON. Why does he need caps costume? Same goes for Thorina or whatever. Sure, give us an Asgardian God-heroine, but does it have to be a lady-Thor? How does that make sense for the character at all?

I'm also so friggin sick of people not batting an eyelash when its one way, but it cant be the other. Imagine: Wonder Man, the White Panther. Ugh, I can barely even write it in a post...

Ah well...I see I've gone off on a rant. Apologies for the derailing. Its late, and I'm grumpy.

canadamus_prime:

I wouldnt' say I beat him, he simply remembered that he had explosive diarrhea. Or maybe there was a truck barreling towards Dan, and he was looking the other way and couldnt' see it. Or perhaps it was an illusion put on by Mysterio?

Firefilm:

canadamus_prime:

I wouldnt' say I beat him, he simply remembered that he had explosive diarrhea. Or maybe there was a truck barreling towards Dan, and he was looking the other way and couldnt' see it. Or perhaps it was an illusion put on by Mysterio?

Don't be modest. Beating Jim is like toppling a Titan. You should be shouting your victory from the rooftops.

Leonardo Huizar:
Squirrel Girl

Remember, even Thanos the Mad Titan will think twice when a squirrel runs up his trouser leg after his nuts.

bluepotatosack:

Ima Lemming:

Seriously.

Old Man Logan was great. It's not blame that needs to be assigned, but praise!

But... inbred Hulks... cannibals... and I had to read about it thanks to Mysterio...

Hahaha...I'm dying over here! Bravo guys!

Incidentally....I vote for...SQUIRREL GIRL!!!!!

canadamus_prime:

Never! That was totally a draw! TBH...if anyone could pull it off...it'd have to be Dan...lol!

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here