Dice Not Behaving? The Best of Dice Shaming Will Make You Laugh

Dice Not Behaving? The Best of Dice Shaming Will Make You Laugh

Publicly shaming your dice might not make your character come alive again, but it might make you feel better.

Read Full Article

...to the camera! I have work to do!

This is too good :3 In related news, I once played a campaign where the three PCs, me included, had to roll climb checks. All three of us rolled 1.

I should go grab a camera, video tape my friend rolling nothing over a 5 all night. I think people might laugh at a grown man crying.

Even better, he got his dice "blessed" by Mike Krahulik of Penny Arcade last year at PAX :p

We would take pictures shaming our dice... if we didn't throw them in the nearby field if they failed us once too often.

Honestly, I just read the headline and pictured a really bummed Andrew Dice Clay.

I'm surprised there were no 40k fails. I got one: my ten man terminator squad charged a mob of shoota boyz. They took their overwatch pot-shots, made 12 hits and wounded 10 times. Rolled my armor saves, and I swear this is true, 9 of my terminators died!
9/10 d6 rolls ended up 1.
We were both in shock for the rest of the game.

Silentpony:
I'm surprised there were no 40k fails. I got one: my ten man terminator squad charged a mob of shoota boyz. They took their overwatch pot-shots, made 12 hits and wounded 10 times. Rolled my armor saves, and I swear this is true, 9 of my terminators died!

I can't even imagine this

I was playing deadlands with a melee character. Rolled 5d6's to hit. None of them went over a 3. It was disappointing to say the least.

JonB:

Silentpony:

I can't even imagine this

What I've learned, because I play Forge World 30k, is that you either win or you fail HARD. I've had games where I don't lose a man(talking 2k point games) and I've had games where Gets Hot kills more marines than the Eldar I'm fighting do.

Mufujumon:
This is too good :3 In related news, I once played a campaign where the three PCs, me included, had to roll climb checks. All three of us rolled 1.

Were you all swallowed by the ground? xD

OT: YUS. I love these comedy stories. And holy wow, do I have some dice-shaming photos to set up.

I wonder if Risk dice shaming counts?
I vote yes.

Anyways, was attacking a country my bro had pulled out of and had left only a couple of dudes. I had a pretty sizeable army.

Do you know what its like to watch a couple of rejects with sticks taking down an entire empire due to terrible dice rolls? I do. And it hurts. It hurts so much.

Love this. More please.

Also, can we get a Looking For Group forum for tabletop gamers, or is that under Roleplaying?

Any long time gamer has plenty of these stories.

I used to have this problem till my Dice Throwing hand grew some balls. Is there a DM screen across the table? Aim for that when you roll. Get yourself a dicebox by dumping out someone's old puzzle that's missing eight pieces into the trash, and roll those suckers in there from the 3-point line or failing that, an old fat pack box that you have lying around. Try to wreck that box with your dice by tipping it over against the wall.

Really, it helps reinvigorate some randomness into your dice. You'll roll less perfect-18's on your stats, but your D20's will appreciate it, and that's really what matters.

Seeing this I should have done something when I was playing my "roaming executioner" (based on the Shadow & Claw novel) in Drakar och Demoner (A nordic fantasy rpg in Swedish, translating to Dragons and Demons), where I crit fail a parry attempt, drop my sword, proceed to try and punch the grey troll in the face, crit fail and fall over, get up and try again, crit fail AGAIN and fall over. Team Mates kill the troll, troll falls on my character. Thank god for good Physique, otherwise he'd have been riddled with grey troll diseases...

I only play tabletop RPGs via skype these days... I ST a game of Exalted

We usually joke that our dice-bot is Plentimon, the god of gambling in the Exalted game. ...we also joke that it tends to run out of good rolls if you get too many in a row.

One of my players touched the dice of another player who is very sensitive about people touching his dice. Immediately after, the player who touched the dice rolled 3 consecutive 1s on a d20. Similar (though less unlikely) things have happened to others who touch his dice. With cursed dice like that, he should have played a warlock! (he's a psion)

I wonder how many failed saves there were in Game of Thrones.

There aren't physical dice to blame, but here's a story I watched happen:

While playing WH40k: Dark Heresy, a player effectively laid his shotgun on the back of an unsuspecting target's head... and missed, injuring himself and causing collateral damage to the room.

If Dice Shaming had existed back when I was in high school...

Well, one of the other players had something of a temper, you understand. He got so pissed off one day he grabbed his "favorite" d20 and went outside and killed it with a hammer.

The d20 didn't deserve such a fate! It was just having a bad day. -_-

I'd be tempted to do this, but I chucked and lost the d20 that I had problems with. I rolled five 2s in a row in one combat encounter with it. Damn near got me killed if it hadn't been for our ranger's spear chucking greatbow.

Silentpony:

Reminds me of some weirdness with my chaos space marines where my terminators survived everything an imperial guard player could throw at them before a sergeant with a laspistol proceeded to kill one out of nowhere and then killed them all in close combat... The rest of his squad was dead but he just. would. not. die and slowly whittled down the squad with a chainsword and laspistol...

I think he made that model his commander in the future too.

Of course I tend to melt dice that fail me too often in a ritual to the dark gods for luck... and as a warning to the others not to fail me.

Interesting and funny stuff, I always enjoy hearing stories of tabletop games rather than playing them.

Out of curiosity, was the person with the 15 dex needing a roll of 15 or under? 19 usually seems like a good roll of a D20(provided it's not damaging you).

2xDouble:

While playing WH40k: Dark Heresy, a player effectively laid his shotgun on the back of an unsuspecting target's head... and missed, injuring himself and causing collateral damage to the room.

I saw it happen live! Holy shit it was fucking funny. I really love how incontrol, for the rest of the episode keeps going "well, I pointed at the guy's head, pointblank, and then WHOOPS I MISSED AAAAAAAA".

2xDouble:

How on Earth...

Ok, so you miss. Alright. I can imagine that. Sort of. But how do you miss, injure yourself and damage the room in one shot? Did they fumble the gun and stick it up their nose? XD

Fancy Pants:

2xDouble:

How on Earth...

Ok, so you miss. Alright. I can imagine that. Sort of. But how do you miss, injure yourself and damage the room in one shot? Did they fumble the gun and stick it up their nose? XD

Pretty much, yeah. Warhammer 40k is kind of a dick sometimes, if JP's series are any indication.

That is hilarious. Naughty dice! Lol. :D
If you put the virtual dice from Dungeons And Dragons Online in, I could say

Made my rogue fail to hit while duelwielding, at least 5 times in a row, constantly.

So much failing to hit! She looked like she was doing a wierd dance with rapiers, that involved flailing them like fans!

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here