Postal 2 - Ambitious Garbage

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Postal 2 - Ambitious Garbage

Originally released in 2003, Postal 2 has some interesting ideas but buries them under stinking mounds of tasteless humor, failed satire and mediocre shooting mechanics that make it barely worth booting up.

Read Full Article

Ah, the last good game in the Postal series. The obligatory sewer level, the Ebola launcher in the terrorist training camp, Habib's suicidal wives, Parents Against Graffiti, Coleman, Krotchy, napalm, useless exploding props, the woman with the head of a man, the marching band, the doughnut shop with a turd on the shelf...

Oh yeah, this was one fun game.

"...And remember, kids: It's only as violent as you are!"

At lesast its not Postal 3!

I managed to finish it with only 1 kill (sadly while Dude was on fire a cop came too close)
That was the most fun I ever had with any game :)
I occasionally replay it- it is my guilty pleasure when I need to blow some steam.
Next time I'll try to do it with 0 kills.

P.S. And gasoline canister IS awesome weapon. Especially to soak ground near bunch of people and then light it up >:D

P.P.S. Apocalypse weekend can go die in the fire >:(

blackrave:
I managed to finish it with only 1 kill (sadly while Dude was on fire a cop came too close)
I occasionally replay it- it is my guilty pleasure when I need to blow some steam.

P.S. And gasoline canister IS awesome weapon. Especially to soak ground near bunch of people and then light it up >:D

I'm really impressed you were able to do that, especially thinking back on how frustrated I was with some of the situations it drops you in.

"Ambitious Garbage"
"GARBAGE"

reaction:

I love postal 2 ;3; I just love all the horrible stuff you can do to burn off some angry fumes, but to each his own i'l honor your opinion .... *Knife sharpening sounds* XD

StewShearer:

blackrave:

I'm really impressed you were able to do that, especially thinking back on how frustrated I was with some of the situations it drops you in.

I was really dedicated ;)
Few rules to play
*Run&dodge
*Shocker and urine are your ways of self defense and occasional lolz
*Allow cops to deal with as much enemies as possible (having a dog pet isn't a bad idea either)
*Stockpile drugs, food and armor- you'll need every single Hp you can get (and cat nip allows you to get away from tight spots)
*For a love of non-existent god whenever you're on fire pee on yourself and don't allow any other character near you, since if someone gets fire from Dude and dies it counts towards your kill, and fire spreads faster than hepatitis (ruined my pacifist run, but maybe raiding police station wasn't the smartest idea either :D )

And I played on one of medium difficulties (can't remember exact one)
Got rank of Sunday Murderer (or something like that)

Well, Postal 1 and 2 are on sale on Steam until the week/weekend ends for a dollar and $2.50, respectively.

The thing I like about Postal 2 is how stupid and crudely designed the people are. I have no qualms with messing with them in several ways, especially with in-game cheats on. Also, dumb weapons include kicking with a separate key/button and a shovel whose loudness rivals the Left 4 Dead 2 (and Team Fortress 2) frying pan.

blackrave:

P.P.S. Apocalypse weekend can go die in a fire >:(

Postal 2 is crude, it's unappealing. It has some mechanics that work and some that don't, some humor works and some doesn't. It's trash. But I say it's in a good sense. It knows it's no high art, it sticks with being trash and runs with it faster than Usain Bolt on speeds. And it, most of all, has its own charm. Which is far more than I can say with polished AAA-titles like, say, The Bureau, that I bought a couple of days ago. Postal 2 is just fun to mess around with and just be a total asshole in. It's got a wide arsenal of weapons and allows you to carry all of it in your trenchcoat, it's got some nice moments and the gasoline can is totally great. I know Postal 2 is not strictly "good", but it's highly enjoyable and I like it.

As the poster above me already said: it's crude, and I'll ad that it's clunky but I can gett some enjoyment out of it. I can't say it's really good but it isn't 'meh' either. I actually kinda enjoy Postal 2, dispite it's flaws. Besides, are there any other games where you can just pee on other people out of sheer randomness?

I could never get into Postal 2 in the least, all its gag humor as just so low brow it made my monocle pop out by the shock of it all. Seriously I didn't like it for that reason. It encourages you to shoot arabs because they are probably terrorists anyway (which of course they are because its that low brow). I can't give it pass as stupid fun when its not particularly fun just shocking how tasteless its humor is.

Yea, I don't agree with the Stew a bit. The game is a modern classic in my opinion. And there is DLC on the way believe it or not.

"Even so, it still feels like a revocation of its efforts to give you choice when it doesn't take it all the way. It just muddied the waters and left the gaming feeling more standard to me when, otherwise, it could have been an interesting piece of interactive commentary."

This sort of thing reminds me of this:

Not everything needs to be a big social commentary, in Postal 2 the "It's only as violent as you are!" is more of a joke on how it is possible but not expected (and not because the players are sadists but because the game wont let them get it the easy way).

Its still a fun game, and an interesting at that where you have the most mundane tasks turned into shit by the most retarded reasons. The "dont give a fuck" attitude also helps the crudeness of the game to make it stand out in how honest it is about itself.

Its a retarded game for retarded fun.

After this and the Duke Nukem 3D review it seems like somehow the political correctness overdose of the 2010's was expected to exist 10 years ago and everything that tries to be somewhat crass is seen as bad.

I wonder what the review of the original Postal or GTA 2 would be like

POSTAL 2!!

HA, I've just remembered that I DO actually have Postal 2 in my steam list. And its definitely worth booting up after a shit day at work.

blackrave:

Exactly this. I only finished with 3 kills, when a dog I decided to befriend attacked and killed several cops. :( I'll try for zero again after the upcoming expansion pack comes out and GOG gets the new updates.

I like Postal 2.

Its a fun and really strange setup.

I like trying to do semi-pacifist runs (Only shoot in self-defence...) - and honestly, trying not to lose your shit at the things that happen to you in the game half the fun.

The weekend expansion is... meh - Hotline Miami did a braindamage part much better.

Comparing it to Far Cry? Last I checked, Far Cry was a AAA title for 04, whereas Postal 2 would be the equivalent of an indie game. Only better looking than a lot of indie games coming out now.

Honestly, back in 03, Postal 2 was exactly what I expected, and for the day/era, it was pretty good. There are a lot of games these days that come out that make me go "It's 2014, why the fuck is this still a thing!?"

Barbas:
Ah, the last good game in the Postal series. The obligatory sewer level, the Ebola launcher in the terrorist training camp, Habib's suicidal wives, Parents Against Graffiti, Coleman, Krotchy, napalm, useless exploding props, the woman with the head of a man, the marching band, the doughnut shop with a turd on the shelf...

Oh yeah, this was one fun game.

"...And remember, kids: It's only as violent as you are!"

Go get that dog turd donut and drop it in front of a cop, may take some work to get it right, then either run or whip out your favorite gun.

You can complete the entire game, including the library and brewery levels without firing a single shot. I've completed the game without killing anyone, period. The only thing that kept me from getting the Jesus Christ rating at the end was was I had piss myself out in the brewery landing me "Water Sports Enthusiast"

Mister1Up:

blackrave:

Exactly this. I only finished with 3 kills, when a dog I decided to befriend attacked and killed several cops. :( I'll try for zero again after the upcoming expansion pack comes out and GOG gets the new updates.

Dogs killing people counts toward your killcount?
Never knew that.

While I agree it hasn't aged well I finished it last year having paid about $5 and I thought it was fine. The humor is perfect if you get that it's a self-parody. It doesn't choose sides everyone is stupid. The anti-videogame protesters attack while youre being fired by corporate shitheads. The suicide bombers are just on a short level and same deal you encounter the opposite end of the spectrum with racist bigots all over the place. The ability to mix it up with joke weapons really helps pad out the game. I was in the police station for some reason I forget if it was even in the plot and I literally set something like 100+ cops on fire without ever firing a shot. It was a strange feeling because it was an accident. Everything was on fire and they just kept coming in. I think irl life I just lit a cigarette and watched the madness and contemplated the meaninglessness of it all.

The apocalyptic ending makes up for all the faults in the game. You just wander around watching the world end. Modern consolized nanny state game publishers will never again allow something like this to be made. You think about all the horrible or cynical stuff that you're "allowed" to kind of do in GTAV or watchdogs and its like a saturday morning cartoon compared to this game. I'm not talking about peeing on people or setting cats on fire. I'm talking about the general tone.

In modern "rated M" washed all kill fests the best they can manage is a sort of cyncial apathy in life. In Postal 2 people are simply bad. Not evil, just shitty, selfish and stupid. When the world ends you're left almost kinda drained. That's where Postal 2 succeeds and modern "bad guy" exercises fail.

Hehe Postal 2, as all Postal Games itīs on the Index in Germany, making it even more a legend among 15 year old boys. You can get it on a Lan-Party, piss two goals on the waals and play streethocky with shovels and a served head. Great fun!

Hey stew POSTAL 2 Dev here. Thanks for the review, quick note the game was developed by no more then 8 guys in a room with our own money. Wasn't exactly AAA development lol. We are still around today because of the dedication of our hardcore fanbase who, to the day, still are hard at work keepingn p2 alive. We are also coming our with a P2 addon called Paradose Lost for this XMAS.

I disagree with this review. First I really don't think it's fair to compare Far Cry to Postal 2 by any stretch, However I do think Postal 2 can hold it's own a true sand box game and a fun one at that.

I agree that the shooting mechanics aren't that great but for me the game truly shines with freedom and exploration.

+Level Design
The games level design is really quite interesting and very detailed. Every house can entered and every door can be opened. More often then not there is something to, but even if there isn't you can find something to do like setting stuff on fire.

+interactivity
I'm really surprised at how interactive this game was. It reacts to a lot of different things you can do. The police actually taking you to jail if you allow them is just plain cool. Anther thing you can do is pee on a doughnut can then let a cop eat it from which he will then vomit. It's small but it's another little detail they put it.

The AI is also worth mention it's actually quite smart and has a habit of following you and reaching you even you get to a really hard to reach place.

+True sandbox freedom
I really can't emphasise enough just how much freedom this game gives you. You can rob a bank, stop a bank robbery or avoid it all together.

From the get go the games pretty much lets you go anywhere and do any thing. The freedom don't' just apply to the who you can/can't kill.

The physics also plays a role. You can cut off a persons head with a shovel set it on fire and then run around and kick it like a flaming soccer ball setting other things on fire. It's oddly satisfying and I recommend everyone try it.

A brief note on the weapons, the shovel and shotgun are really satisfying to use.

So that's my brief review of Postal 2 and you might not agree, but I hope this opinion was interesting. I really do think with the right mind set this game can be enjoyed.

Mike Jaret-Schachter:
Hey stew POSTAL 2 Dev here. Thanks for the review, quick note the game was developed by no more then 8 guys in a room with our own money. Wasn't exactly AAA development lol. We are still around today because of the dedication of our hardcore fanbase who, to the day, still are hard at work keepingn p2 alive. We are also coming our with a P2 addon called Paradose Lost for this XMAS.

Will that be coming to GOG? DRM Free for the win.

StewShearer:
Postal 2 has some interesting ideas but buries them under stinking mounds of tasteless humor, failed satire and mediocre shooting mechanics that make it barely worth booting up.

Uhm, the tasteless and crude humor is pretty much what made the series famous. I agree it's a terrible game, but it's terrible in the same way that many of Ube Bowl's movies are terrible. I for one found this game fun, for this exact reason.

There are achievements for beating the game without killing anyone, so it's possible to get through levels like the library without going on a rampage. There's a tazer, so you can run up and stun people.

Appreciate the review. it's not quite damning enough to put on our next compilation box (you really can't beat Computer Gaming World's 'Until someone boxes up syphilis... POSTAL 2 is the worst product ever' 0/10' that is proudly displayed on our fudge pack) but a good read none the less. Ambitious Garbage will no doubt be on the side of a garbage truck in a future game in honor of this review though.

Magmarock:

Will that be coming to GOG? DRM Free for the win.

Yeah it will. As will the many free updates that we've added to Steam since its release (other than workshop, but workshop mods will be able to be manually installed into the GoG version).

For what it's worth, the Steam version is also DRM free, although it uses many Steamwork features (Achievements, cloud saving, workshop, trading cards) it's also totally portable and does not require Steam running to play.

Oh, and aforementioned Steam version with all the updates is currently on sale but not for much longer ;)

Thanks for the support to all that posted in this thread! One only has to look at the overwhelming amount of positive reviews on Steam compared to the few negative to see many people get much enjoyment from P2.

All I remember from playing Postal 2 ages ago is that (I think) I peed on someones grave for some reason. Possibly belonging to one of the protagonist's parents? In any case, this thread has convinced me to pick it up and refresh my memory.

I like the game, but understand the criticism.

My usual test to see if someone will like or dislike the type of humour in the game is to mention that you can catch cats, shove a gun up their ass and use them as silencers.

Pretty much says it all.

JMac85:
There are achievements for beating the game without killing anyone, so it's possible to get through levels like the library without going on a rampage. There's a tazer, so you can run up and stun people.

I didn't encounter this during my playthrough (which is on me) and I'll have to make sure to add some mention of it. Thanks for the heads up.

StewShearer:
I didn't encounter this during my playthrough (which is on me) and I'll have to make sure to add some mention of it. Thanks for the heads up.

One can be found in one of the houses near your trailer in the beginning.

Toploader7:
our next compilation box

Wait wait wait...new...compilation...box?...where and when do I jam money to get this? I missed the Krotchy-Os boxed set and I still kick myself in the balls over that occasionally.

I fucking love Postal 2, sure it's crude, and the gameplay leaves a lot to be desired, but it's also super fun.

Also, playing fetch with a dog using a severed head is totally awesome!

this game is just full of black humor. obviously not everyone likes it. i personally have a blast with it that i bought my self many years ago the fudge pack over ebay that contains all games, including 2 fan made mods. the weekend part was not so good since it was really linear and you pretty much had no freedom anymore. but postal 2 it self is awesome. yeah, the shooting mechanic is not good but hell, with cheats on, it makes the game even more hilarious. shooting cats from some of your weapons instead of bullets? priceless.

Stryc9:

Toploader7:
our next compilation box

Wait wait wait...new...compilation...box?...where and when do I jam money to get this? I missed the Krotchy-Os boxed set and I still kick myself in the balls over that occasionally.

Yeah, we'll have something new once the new DLC is out no doubt.

I honestly didn't believe there were people that liked Postal. A couple here or there, maybe even upwards of a thousand. But I really, truly believed we as a people had agreed to flush the entire dumpster fire of shite after the first one.

Whatever floats your boat!

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or