Top 5 with Lisa Foiles: Top 5 Plot-Changing Quotes - Would You Kindly Watch This Video?

Australian? Seriously? That accent's as Oirish as a pint of Guinness with a shamrock drawn in the foam.

Flatfrog:
Australian? Seriously? That accent's as Oirish as a pint of Guinness with a shamrock drawn in the foam.

I did think that myself.. but anyway nice list and "Blast that little... where did she get to? Lamarr? Come out of there!

Flatfrog:

Being drunk by Colin Farrell and Michael Fassbender on St Patrick's day. Really you can't get more Oirish than that accent.

Oh, come on. Australian? That's as Irish as you can get.

Wait...
WAIT WAIT WAIT WAIT!
Hold one f*cking moment.
You're passing off as a plot twist that Gordon Freeman was in Half Life 2?! Who did YOU think it was going to be? Some random dude? Bill? Did you want to see the adventures of Bill the Grocer in Half Life 2?

Seriously Lisa, Bill isn't real. You need to let him go.

OBJECTION!

You had it int the intro but it's sad to not see it on the list. Used by multiple characters at the deciding life or death moment, although my personal fave was Gumshoe's "HOLD IT RIGHT THERE!" when he saves you from Vasquez' thugs, bad ass.

'No problem, pal.'

I will not kindly play Bioshock. Ever. But thank you for asking so nicely.

Let's see who remembers:
"ain't no gettin' off this train we on"

Flatfrog:

To be fair, it wasn't his "real" accent anyway.

Also,

Good show Lisa.

xD That beginning was wonderful.

albino boo:

Flatfrog:

Being drunk by Colin Farrell and Michael Fassbender on St Patrick's day. Really you can't get more Oirish than that accent.

And his supposed wife and child are named Moira and Patrick, for crying out loud.

Yahtzee said that Bioshock had an awful ending, but how could Atlas becoming known as a big player in Rapture lead to a bad ending? Maybe because there's another twist, or maybe because it simply derails the original plot.

Anyhow, I'm convinced to finish that game off. Farthest I got was Ryan's place.

"Would you kindly play Bioshock?"

.. I- I haven't played it in forever. Lisa asking me nicely makes me want to give it another go lol.
Also great episode this time around. I look forward to seeing more episodes from yah Lisa! :)

Xman490:
Yahtzee said that Bioshock had an awful ending, but how could Atlas becoming known as a big player in Rapture lead to a bad ending? Maybe because there's another twist, or maybe because it simply derails the original plot.

Anyhow, I'm convinced to finish that game off. Farthest I got was Ryan's place.

Yahtzee was mainly referring to the multiple endings that come about depending on whether or not you harvest the Little Sisters.

but there are only two endings, a good one and a bad one, and the extreme contrast between them is rather jarring. In the good ending, you're a virtuous flower child with love and a smile for all the shiny-coated beasts of God's kingdom, and in the bad ending you're some kind of hybrid of Hitler and Skeletor whose very piss is pure liquid malevolence. I'm sick of games that claim to have choice but that only really come down either to Mother Teresa or baby-eating. All I'm saying is that a little middle ground is nice now and then.

Technically there is a third "middle ground" ending, but it's nearly identical to the "bad" ending, except for a slight difference in the voice narration.

"The truth is you're here because you wanted to feel like something you're not. A hero."

"Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance. Incapable of understanding."

"No, I'm both."

"Prepare for unforeseen consequences."

"The rest is up to you... Desmond."

"You see...? Everything happens for a reason."

Mike Richards:
"The truth is you're here because you wanted to feel like something you're not. A hero."

This was the one I thought was missing. Oh that game, it's so delightful.

I forget the exact wording, but for me, one of the greatest game-changing lines is the one from KOTOR that reveals, all this time, YOU were Darth Revan all along.
And Lisa showed, but didn't talk about that one line from Castlevania: Symphony of the Night:
"What is a man but a mere bag of secrets? But enough talk... have at you!"

Plot-changing quotes? I'd rather know "what can change the nature of a man?"...

"What can change the nature of a man?"

Planescape: Torment is, quite possibly, the greatest CRPG ever made. It's a Baldur's gate era RPG with a whole lot of style and philosophical underpinnings. It's a game so well remembered that TWO seperate multi-million dollar kickstarters were in 'shut up and take my money' territory as soon as they went live.

Yea, it is graphically dated, but all the characters are interesting and complex (and mostly voiced by semi-famous or actually famous (dan castilanetta) actors and voice actors) and how often do you get to play a game where some of the puzzles involve killing yourself?

To all (and Lisa), if you've never played it, would you kindly go to good old games and get youself a copy?

Don't let it end like this.

Mike Richards:

"Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance. Incapable of understanding."

"No, I'm both."

Would you tell me where these came from(except Sovereign's line, loved that moment) and explain some of the context for each?

Mike Richards:

"No, I'm both."

1. Not sure, but sound epic.

2. SHODAN, System Shock. The original GLaDOS. Love it.

3. Hm. No idea.

4. Half-Life 2, Episode 2, spoken by G-Man and Alyx. Yup, that definitely moved the plot along.

5. Assassin's Creed, though the number escapes me.

6. Struggling to remember this one.

And now, if I may add my own...

Raynor: "What are you saying?"
Mengsk: "I am saying that the Zerg are a secret weapon developed by the Confederacy. I am saying that you were all subject to a Confederate weapons' test."
-StarCraft I, Terran campaign

Rituro:

Mike Richards:

Sovereign from Mass Effect is obviously beyond your understanding, as well.

SHODAN is beyond all these pretenders' understanding.

And her gamechanger quote is actually:

"The Polito form is dead, insect".

It's less impactful now, of course, because kids these days don't even know, and it was probably lost on many at the time because Shock 1 wasn't that widely known anyway (it was massively overshadowed by Doom 2 which came out basically the same month), but SHODAN was one of the first villains who actually talked, and I don't mean "had like two digitised voice clips that repeated over and over", she had shit to say about everything you did, and she was talking directly to you in her creepy computer robot voice.

SHODAN all but invented the modern videogame villain.

JohnZ117:

Gaming shame #217: never played the Mass Effect series. Please don't hurt me.

Rituro:

JohnZ117:

Gaming shame #217: never played the Mass Effect series. Please don't hurt me.

I don't need to. The pain is present. And, there is only one route to recovery.

"Boss, I have a good idea" - Psycho Mantis

I love this quote, because it meant NOTHING the first time you heard it... But once you are familiar with Metal Gear Solid 1's story, and replays the game, it gets clear that the idea from the biggest plot twist in the game came from Psycho Mantis! (not to spoil a seminal game from more than a decade ago, but I'm talking about PAL keys ...)

Rituro:

1. Not sure, but sound epic.

3. Hm. No idea.

4. Half-Life 2, Episode 2, spoken by G-Man and Alyx. Yup, that definitely moved the plot along.

5. Assassin's Creed, though the number escapes me.

6. Struggling to remember this one.

And now, if I may add my own...

Raynor: "What are you saying?"
Mengsk: "I am saying that the Zerg are a secret weapon developed by the Confederacy. I am saying that you were all subject to a Confederate weapons' test."
-StarCraft I, Terran campaign

JohnZ117:

Would you tell me where these came from(except Sovereign's line, loved that moment) and explain some of the context for each?

Rituro: as JohnZ117 already pointed out, number 2 is actually from Mass Effect, but it definitely sounds like something SHODAN would say. I considered putting 'that line' from SS2 on the list but it's /so/ much of a spoiler in itself that you can't even say it without giving it away. You really should get around to Mass Effect though, especially if you like complex AIs, it's got some good stuff. And the ending isn't anywhere near as bad as everyone says it is, just play the extended version.

Now, as JohnZ117 requested. Major spoilers for everything, obviously.

"Bring us the girl and wipe away the debt" (Bioshock Infinite) is a nice one too. Seems like a simple enough line at the beginning but it gains a whole other meaning later. "Would you kindly..." probably trumps it though - that was an awesome twist.

"Rise and shine Mr Freeman" isn't exactly groundbreaking though. If anything Half-Life, I'd have said "Prepare for unforeseen consequences".

.....Australlian......

"Would You kindly..." is a joke and a stupid joke, no less. Here's why - it's bad design.

When the bathysphere touches down in Rapture and Atlas/Fontaine tells You to pick up the radio, You either do so and play the game or don't and turn it off. You could sit in that bathysphere for a whole day straight and the door won't open. You MUST pick up the radio and, essentially, pretend like You're reacting to the phrase if You actually want to play the game You paid money for. A moment later, You are asked to "find a wrench or something". Unless You take that wrench, You are not able to clear the debris and continue on. The game doesn't even pretend to give You a choice in the tools You would be using. Further down the line, when You're being given objectives (which sometimes include the phrase), You can see that unless the objective is first given, You cannot advance.

And the supposed "greatest twist in videogame history", like Lisa posits, is even worse. That moment when You enter Andrew Ryan's office, all control is wrestled from Your hands and Your avatar not only immediately fulfils all commands, he fulfils some of them even before Ryan utters them. Now why wasn't that element present in the other parts of the game where the quote was being uttered? Why? Because it's bad design. I didn't feel awed, I didn't think the developers were smart for doing this, I felt cheated.

"Would you kindly play Bioshock"

But I've already played it like 6 times...

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here