Shut Up and Sit Down: Your Favorite Gaming Moment

Your Favorite Gaming Moment

Sometimes you need to take some time and remember your favorite gaming moments.

Watch Video

I've never felt the need to post before, but my favorite gaming moment?

My brother, sister and I were playing Space Munchkin with the Ship expansion thrown in. My sister had managed to get the Serenity knock off and as we're all big Firefly fans she was gloating like crazy. Then I pulled a card that let me steal her ship. And I played it. The look on her face was priceless, my brother and I started killing ourselves with laughter but she wouldn't give it up. Would not let go of it. Ended up grabbing one of the spare cards and making her own titled, 'I deny your Reality and Substitute my own' complete with a little picture of her blowing a raspberry.

I ended up taking the ship, and she got her own back later in the game, but ever since, her card has been a constant fixture in any Munchkin game we play, and always brings a smile.

my favourite gaming moment isn't with some complex game.

it's with charades and my Nan. it was Boxing Day and as was the way, the family was over our aunts playing charades. my Nan looks at the card and for the first word makes a motion like she'd moving a bamboo cane really fast. no-one understood. for the second, she tried to point to everyone but that just lead us the wrong way. after about 15 minutes she gave up. the card was "Swiss Family Robinson" the bamboo cane was her trying to make a "swish" noise. we laughed for a long time about that. still when that pops up and there are family members in the room we can get it with a simple motion. that baffles any outsiders.

My favorite board game moment was about two years ago. My fiancee (Then girlfriend) was working a late shift, and got home at maybe 2am that night. When she got home, still awake as all get out cause her schedule was understandably messed up then, I had set up on the table our copy of Arkham Horror, complete with all the expansions we owned. We played Arkham Horror for probably three hours that night, battling eldritch abominations and fearsome beasties, until we make it to the end of the game. Against Hastur if you're curious.

Just as the light of dawn is rising, we barely succeed, beating it by a single roll, one more failure and we would have been doomed. We leapt up, cheered, had a proper victory smooch... and then immediately collapsed onto the couch and fell asleep in each others arms. Never has an encounter with an elder god had such a cuddly end.

There are so many gaming moments in my life it is really impossible to pick just one. Anything from playing Go Fish with my grandma when I was a little kid, or playing Clue, Yahtzee, Uno, or Aggravation with her and my parents will always be treasured memories. Playing Talisman with my best friend when I'd spend the night at his house where we'd each pick one Good, Neutral and Evil character and play until only one alignment remained standing. Joining the gaming club in high school and being introduced to so many board games that I had never heard of before, and playing in huge D&D games with the other members of the club. Playing Magic the Gathering with these same people during breaks and lunch period, where we had fun messing with white decks by changing the color of their protective circles to teal or lavender (there was some card that let you effectively change the text of a card, allowing you to switch a color word on the card to a different color). Introducing Blood Bowl to those same people once we were all in college and forming our own league over the summers. Playing various games that I've been picking up over the years with my current circle of friends, such as Betrayal at the House on the Hill where one great memory is of the player who ended up being the traitor being so pleased to get the Dragon haunt and couldn't wait to set it to munching our bones, only to have it killed in the first combat.

Another fun memory was with Star Munchkin. We had recently found out my wife was pregnant but hadn't told any of our friends. Instead, we made a special card for the game that we called Impregnated with Alien Embryo. Play to gain one level. If actually pregnant, gain two levels and can be the winning levels. When we invited our friends over to play, we stacked the deck in such a way my wife was guaranteed to get it. It was awesome when she played it and everyone just stopped, kinda stunned as they realized what it meant.

Most recent gaming memory was just a week ago where we were playing Munchkin with the two Santa expansions thrown in. There were four of us and all of us were getting up there in levels. One player fought Krampus, one of the monsters from the expansion, and beat him, happily taking her level and treasures. Once she laid everything out, I played a curse that took the Bad Stuff from the topmost Santa monster in the discards, so Krampus in this case. The Bad Stuff? Death. I went on to win that game. That is definitely the most evil play I have ever done in a Munchkin game.

I hope that you're doing okay, dude.

I think that my favourite moment in my gaming was the first session of my current group playing D&D 5E - the final playtest rules. Two of my players were new to gaming and the other two were used to a very mechanically-orientated DM. We worked together to create their characters and to contrive a reason for them to meet outside this cave, and then they met up. That was pretty much the whole session. Their characters stood there for what must have been coming up for three hours real time arguing with each other about whether it was a stupid idea to check out the cave. Ultimately the bard lied through his teeth to the mage about some magical artifact which happened to be exactly the kind of thing the mage needed, fooled him completely with a natural twenty and the lot of them entered the dungeon. They managed to get through I think two goblins before I had to call the session to an end, but I think for all five of us it was our first taste of that level of roleplay where everyone was interested, involved, and having fun.

Hopefully there are plenty of moments like that left in this group, but I don't think I'll be forgetting the first any time soon.

nayrbarr:
I hope that you're doing okay, dude.

I think that my favourite moment in my gaming was the first session of my current group playing D&D 5E - the final playtest rules. Two of my players were new to gaming and the other two were used to a very mechanically-orientated DM. We worked together to create their characters and to contrive a reason for them to meet outside this cave, and then they met up. That was pretty much the whole session. Their characters stood there for what must have been coming up for three hours real time arguing with each other about whether it was a stupid idea to check out the cave. Ultimately the bard lied through his teeth to the mage about some magical artifact which happened to be exactly the kind of thing the mage needed, fooled him completely with a natural twenty and the lot of them entered the dungeon. They managed to get through I think two goblins before I had to call the session to an end, but I think for all five of us it was our first taste of that level of roleplay where everyone was interested, involved, and having fun.

Hopefully there are plenty of moments like that left in this group, but I don't think I'll be forgetting the first any time soon.

Completely off topic I guess, but how did you find the 5th ed. rules? I didnt much care for the 4th ed. Is it a step backwards towards 3.5? A step forward to something else? Or just more of the same?

Dont know about best, but one of the recent good ones is a situation that happened in one of my Pathfinder groups. A player stabbed a person in the back, killing him after he surrendered. The player had been tethering on paranoia for a while for something relating to his backstory, and finally went all out. I naturally had to change his alignment to evil, and his fellow party-members were mightily upset.

The great thing though, came when he sought out Atonement in the town they arrived in. I had to make up a thing on the fly, and managed a brilliant description of a meeting with a Druid in a grove/temple. The player had a vision of Erastil as a stag, blessing him and it was a very cool RP moment. This is the thing I love most about table-top RPing...the on the spot moments. Everything that is not planned that you just have to create in the now.

Sorry for your loss. Hope you have many friends to game with to help you through.

My favourite gaming moment was playing Avalon (Resistance clone) with a group of 7 of us (4 good, 3 bad). I was one of evil minions so knew the others. Normally when playing you have to sacrifice one of your team to allow another to slip through. This time I managed to convince everyone not only that I was loyal and good, but that someone I knew actually was good was one of the evil players. They were getting increasingly worked up, which just convinced the rest of group of their guilt more. At the end of the game the player I had doomed to not going to any missions after the first revealed their card saying 'See! I told you I was good! Why didn't you just take me on the mission! We could of won if you had!' to which I responded 'Yeah, I know. I was evil.'. Their face was priceless. No one had guessed, :).

Sorry for your loss Quinns.

I'd have to say my favorite memory is the first few times I played Battlestar Galatica with family. The accusations of people being Cylons, and being able to really tell how well we know each other by figuring out what was going on in someone's head without being told. The fact that for the most part it is a co-op game, where we were really trying to work together and win. It is what I used to lure my sister and brother-in-law into watching the TV show, and has been an awesome game to just play with friends during an evening.

Well you gave a bearded grown man wet eyes, saw you fighting there too. I wish you and your family and friends the best! My dad was to the Sahara in a Unimog, that was one hell of a trip. He even got ennobled in a baloon last month. So that must have been on great journey for your old man.
I donīt realy have a best moment of gaming, because there are many! But here is an example from DSA: Das schwarze Auge (english: the black eye). A Pen and Paper RPG, a bit like D&D, but with a deeper focus on professions (like hunter an blacksmith or even beggar...). So my friends an I, a hammer wielding dwarfen mercenary, where fighting our way through a cave full of spiders. So we finaly entered the main dungeon of the orcs and where already weakend so much. The next room was full of orcs that where not on watch duty. Dwarfs cant become alcoholics in DSA and so I picket up a good amuont of strong Schnaps. We had no idea how to get past this room until a sacrificed my precious beverages for some makeshift firebombs. We throw them into the romm and pushed against the closed door as hard as we still could. Well it worked and it was very brutal but we made it out alive! It was a reat moment ot teamwork. One ot of many.

tzimize:

nayrbarr:

[snip]

Completely off topic I guess, but how did you find the 5th ed. rules? I didnt much care for the 4th ed. Is it a step backwards towards 3.5? A step forward to something else? Or just more of the same?

[snip]

I'm not an expert on D&D rules - far, far from it in fact - but I'm really enjoying the system. I've heard people describing it as the best of all previous editions, with a few new additions from what they've learnt over the years. There are one or two features from 4E, but it apparently very much feels like an earlier addition - with the added benefit that it doesn't take half an hour to resolve each round of combat. Much quicker, very clean but still gives plenty of wriggle room for roleplay and improvisation.

nayrbarr:

tzimize:

nayrbarr:

[snip]

[snip]

I'm not an expert on D&D rules - far, far from it in fact - but I'm really enjoying the system. I've heard people describing it as the best of all previous editions, with a few new additions from what they've learnt over the years. There are one or two features from 4E, but it apparently very much feels like an earlier addition - with the added benefit that it doesn't take half an hour to resolve each round of combat. Much quicker, very clean but still gives plenty of wriggle room for roleplay and improvisation.

Alright, thanks. I guess I might check it out. There was a side to roleplaying that I feel 4th edition lacked, and that was the customization of 3.5/pathfinder. Maybe they wised up :P

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here