Escapist News Now: New Mass Effect Mako Animation and First Details!

Makoooo!!! It's not as nice looking as the original but if I can roam around in it I'll at least bite. I do like the snow travel, but at this point I'm cautious with anything BW is releasing on ME4 just because of the fiasco they produced last round with lovely promises like 14 endings, meaningful conclusions to all your choices, and no A,B,C ending choices.

I'm pretty sure that buggy POS in Mass Effect 1 must have been an ancient prototype with a buggy mass effect drive.

Yay! The Mako now actually looks like something someone would actually drive!

Now, if we're talking about a few years in development, can we ask for maps that are a little less bland for us to drive on? The snow is a good step in the right direction, but I would love to see a forest planet as well.

I want to know more about the multiplayer, it's likely the only part of the game I'll play (if it's not a sequel or AU I'm not interested in the single player).

Main character can only be human? How disappointingly boring. The team making Dragon Age figured out what the fans like, why can't they talk to the Mass Effect guys? Aren't they in the same office?

I am happy to see the Mako again. The first one got a little tedious after the fifth of sixth play through but it was soooo much better than the planet scanning game.

Cant wait for the inevitable controversy regarding the business model.

but... were is the big fuckoff cannon?

The one thing I didn't like about ME1 was the lack of customization on the Mako, so I like what I'm hearing so far.

The M-35 Mako was a juggernaut and the M-44 Hammerhead was a high flying fragile speedster, so I assume the new Mako is going to start as a middle ground with speed, jump jets, and armor in between the first Mako and the Hammerhead and I hope it will be customizable to either extreme.

"Years away" I can't imagine this game coming any later than spring 2016. And even that's a stretch. I'd guess holidays 2015. I mean, this has probably been in some sort of production for almost two years now, and probably a year of big scale development.

Edguy:
"Years away" I can't imagine this game coming any later than spring 2016. And even that's a stretch. I'd guess holidays 2015. I mean, this has probably been in some sort of production for almost two years now, and probably a year of big scale development.

I'm not so sure - I'm sure EA would love to pump a Mass Effect out every year from Bioware until Bioware was just a dead husk they could discard - but the fact that the EA hype machine hasn't been out in force yet suggests they aren't going to be releasing it in the next year. If Bioware went with an engine change, which looks like it -might- be the case, that could explain a longer development cycle.

Anywho, I'm not really looking forward to the next Mass Effect - why? EA mainly; I'm sure they'll pressure Bioware to make a pig's ear of it. Plus, my faith in Bioware was abit shaken with the original trilogy; not just the ending of ME3 which was pants, but in hindsight, there seemed to be alot of short cuts taken - for example...

Basically, I think Bioware's quality varied notably throughout the ME trilogy... And as Shamus Young pointed out, the main plot of ME2 was pretty pants, full of plot holes, and the main plot of ME3 had that bleed into it as well, primarily because it had Cerebus from ME2 involved, and several big choices in ME1/ME2 didn't actually affect anything in ME3 (in a meaning way). And that ending...

I am going to be *sorely* disappointed if we can't play as aliens in the next Mass Effect. I don't expect to be able to play as a Elcor or Hannar...but surely Turians, Salarians, Asari and Krogans wouldn't be too much to expect?

"Disclaimer that the images could completely change for the finished game." and "The game is still years away from a release"

So basically, with no disrespect to you Andrea, but you're reporting on literally nothing. They had an entire panel where they showed off the concept art from Mass Effect 3, hoping we didn't notice the 3 had been scratched out and a 4 written in its place. Everything we saw was at absolute best premature if not out right deception.
This new Mass effect is turning into an even worse hack-job of a sequel than Borderlands 3. I wonder if they'll even change the box art from Mass Effect 3.

I got a good title for the new one though, Mass Effect 4: We're desperately out of ideas!

My basic attitude is that unless they retcon and/or redo the ending of ME3 I could care less about ME4.

From what I've been hearing they are just recycling very old, and generic, footage for the most part. A lot of people have been pointing out a lot of their reveals are copy-pasted from ME3, and what might be new is just some rather generic graphics of contour-fitting body armor (one male, one female). So pretty much the entire announcement is "we will have driving sequences, and people will wear body armor".

Of course at the same time you can see where EA is coming from, they don't want to make promises and get flamed for them, so they are probably going to try and lock down most, if not all, information until right before release, and hope by that point the hype train will drown out the critics, something which has worked for them in the past.

Personally I am hoping "The Line" reforms and goes after EA closer to release, simply put with all this money they are dumping on a sequel they could afford to give ME3 a proper ending. Once ME4 comes out and cements the trash that is ME3's ending it's pretty much too late for the sequel.

I definitely want to see if they could actually make the planets seem more than a sequence of randomly generated hills and terrain. I loved ME1's Mako driving sequences for them making the galaxy seem really large, but they should be more captivating, like we saw in the DLC - Bring Down The Sky. It actually made the planet seem like an actual place people would be, given their interests. So, focus on the story and the "reason" for this place, "reason" for people being on this planet. I'm not keen on them basing the story around Shepard's time. I'd like to see another, completely different story, in the universe, but explore the other races and cultures. Still hyped for ME4, given that I've always loved the series. Shoot for the stars BioWare! Shoot for the stars.

I'm optimistic, but all I gotta say is, "Don't fuck up Bioware. You have one chance, and DA:I looks like terrible fanfiction, so it doesn't count. The Mako is a good start. Full squad customization is the next step. The last step is having a good theme and executing it well. I don't trust you, nor do I think you'll pull it off, but I really want you to. I want nothing more than for you to prove me wrong. So please... don't fuck up."

Varis:
I definitely want to see if they could actually make the planets seem more than a sequence of randomly generated hills and terrain.

They weren't randomly generated, they were all built using an early version of UDK's (Unreal Development Kit) landscaping toolset (the newer versions are much better). They looked random because they were kept at a low poly count due to the limitations of the X360's hardware.

OT; If the game is set during or before the original trilogy, then I will definitely be passing on this. No point playing a game when you already know the outcome.

Bioware... I swear to god... if you keep getting me excited for this game and you don't deliver...

DX

008Zulu:

They weren't randomly generated, they were all built using an early version of UDK's (Unreal Development Kit) landscaping toolset (the newer versions are much better). They looked random because they were kept at a low poly count due to the limitations of the X360's hardware.

OT; If the game is set during or before the original trilogy, then I will definitely be passing on this. No point playing a game when you already know the outcome.

Yeah, of course the hardware's boundaries come in the way, but as I stated in my post, I'd like to see -if- they -could- make them seem more enticing. Now that we've (unfortunately) moved in to next gen consoles, I'd like to see them make the most of it (them).

EDIT: And, coming back to your point about them possibly making during or before Shepard... NO. BioWare, NO. Don't do it. Listen to me and 008Zulu!!! You'll just write yourselves into a corner and well... A story-driven game won't benefit from it at least!!

Oroboros:
I am going to be *sorely* disappointed if we can't play as aliens in the next Mass Effect. I don't expect to be able to play as a Elcor or Hannar...but surely Turians, Salarians, Asari and Krogans wouldn't be too much to expect?

Ditto. Also, I guess I am one of the few that had literally no trouble using the Mako at all, in fact I loved it.

Rather they take their time on this,
Though a shiny HD trilogy for new consoles wouldn't go amiss;)

I hope they don't skimp on the skeletal animations for male/female characters this time. It felt so lazy for them to just reskin femShep over the male skeleton, and looked so wonky. It was like she had space-scurvy, and I always felt like giving a good "arrr" everytime she ran. Especially on the Normandy. Also get rid of the head tracking lunacy. There were times I swear Shep was doing a Linda Blair/Exorcist impression when running by crewmates who happened to be chatting in the background.
Stoked about the Mako though, I loved how squirrely it was to control (except in missions where you could fall and fail). I tried many times to pull off some vert tricks like it was a skateboard, and while I didn't always succeed I did have some funny as fuck moments.
I'm a bit disappointed there won't be any racial options, but if that sacrifice means we'll get a decent game then I'm fairly forgiving... that better mean the game is good enough to hold up on its own. Also I can deal with a side-story taking place during the Reaper conflict, I always enjoy learning about people who aren't directly involved in the "must save the universe" plots. Its nice to be a regular Joe/Jane. Honestly I'm sick of having to be the world/universal crisis management team all the damn time. Smaller scale stories sometimes feel more personal, more easy to relate to.
I feel the same way about RPG's, and I've tried to avoid that stereotype as a DM, where the heroes end up saving the world/multiverse. I feel that in RPG's, the best stories are the ones where the heroes might be the badasses of their corner but are just another cog in the machine, that they can't massively affect (hah!) the world at large. It doesn't diminish their accomplishments, but it drives home the true meaning of mortality, that they're not all-important and irreplaceable. I honestly don't believe there's only one man/woman/team that can solve the world's problems. I like escapism, but there has to be some grounding for it.
A good example to me is from the No Mans Land arc from the Batman comics, where Superman tries to come in and "save" Gotham. Batman meets Supes and tells him straight up he isn't needed or wanted there and that the blue Boy Scout isn't the (for lack of a better phrase) "hero that Gotham needs". Supes tries to get things fixed, but even though he technically succeeds in fixing a power station, the people reject him and he crawls back to Bats, properly cowed where Batman basically says "Told you."
No matter how strong you are, you can't fix everything.

Silentpony:
"Disclaimer that the images could completely change for the finished game." and "The game is still years away from a release"

So basically, with no disrespect to you Andrea, but you're reporting on literally nothing. They had an entire panel where they showed off the concept art from Mass Effect 3, hoping we didn't notice the 3 had been scratched out and a 4 written in its place. Everything we saw was at absolute best premature if not out right deception.
This new Mass effect is turning into an even worse hack-job of a sequel than Borderlands 3. I wonder if they'll even change the box art from Mass Effect 3.

I got a good title for the new one though, Mass Effect 4: We're desperately out of ideas!

Were you at the panel? Because that is definitely not what the entire panel was about. There was lots of talk about what they want to do in the next Mass Effect, which by the way, will not be Mass Effect 4. And while it mean seem premature, this panel was about talking to the fans, not announcing news. Though that was the case there still was news, including the Mako is back, that players will spend a lot of time in it, and that the next game focuses on exploration among other things.

andrearene:

Silentpony:
SNIP

Were you at the panel? Because that is definitely not what the entire panel was about. There was lots of talk about what they want to do in the next Mass Effect, which by the way, will not be Mass Effect 4. And while it mean seem premature, this panel was about talking to the fans, not announcing news. Though that was the case there still was news, including the Mako is back, that players will spend a lot of time in it, and that the next game focuses on exploration among other things.

No I wasn't at the panel. I wish there was some way I could know what else they said.
Like when you say 'will not be Mass Effect 4' are you implying there's a 5th(or 4th) Mass Effect coming out too? The have-Mako-in-space one and a second, unknown one? Cause that's HUGE! That's news! That brings a stupid fanboy grin to my face and makes me want to go back and play through the entire series. So thanks for that, Andrea! Just torpedoed any hope I'm going to be productive for a few days!

And someone at the panel brought up the ME3 ending right? 'cause if it was a panel talking to fans about what fans want, that should have come up. Bioware is on thin ice when it comes to giving fans what they want.

And as far as space exploration in Mass Effect 4: No Shepard So why Bother, that's good information. But I kinda' assumed that; its a Mass Effect game. We explored the galaxy in all 3 other games. Just like I assumed the Mako would be in it. The Mako or that hammerhead variant were in the other 3. Mako can be customized? That's cool. Honestly, that really cool. Here's hoping we can switch the guns out for something useful, eh?

Cheers Andrea!

I hated it in the original Mass Effect, but this looks like something that can actually be driven! As long as they make it a decent ending for this game it'll be amazing.

I would like to be able to choose from the large variety of playable races and classes from the multi-player, but, at the moment, too many choices in character creation tend to hurt the story telling. Rather than writing a while bunch of different story lines, they tend to just make one super generic one. I'd rather a much more limited selection with good story than lots of selection with no story, save that for the multiplayer.

I'm still amazed to this day at just how massively and needlessly they utterly hamstrung themselves with ME3's ending.

andrearene:

Silentpony:

Thanks for the great article Andrea!

Doug:

Basically, I think Bioware's quality varied notably throughout the ME trilogy... And as Shamus Young pointed out, the main plot of ME2 was pretty pants, full of plot holes, and the main plot of ME3 had that bleed into it as well, primarily because it had Cerebus from ME2 involved, and several big choices in ME1/ME2 didn't actually affect anything in ME3 (in a meaning way). And that ending...

The funny thing about human nature is that people will overlook a lot of flaws for something they enjoyed. Look at X-Men Days of Future Past - it had plot holes up the rectum, but still got certified 93% fresh on RT.

ME3 meanwhile had a badly rushed ending with a weird kid nobody cared about, which led to a massive backlash against every other flaw in the game that people would normally gloss over.

But Bioware can get past this and I believe in them. And given how successful ME3's multiplayer was I have every confidence they will include it going forward.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here