Zero Punctuation: Gears of War 2

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

I think Gears of war 2 succeeds where games like it that yahtzee lampoons fail becuase of the fact that cliffy B is excactly the demographic that these games are made for. he just also happens to be a great game designer and have good articulation.

my friend got to hang out with Cliffy B. apparently apparently they just talked about Cliffy's new tattoo: a cog from gears shown ripping out of his skin. it is people like that who Gears of War are made for.

Loved it Yahtzee....been looking forward to this review for a while now...although you did bash the little things, I'm happy you did like it...but there is one thing that bugged me in it....the whole storyline thing not going anywhere and the broken story.....if you read the book that takes place in between games 1 and 2, you get a TON of backstory and realize why things are they way they are.

Granted, I can understand that you should get the story from the game without having to read the book....however, after I read the book (by the way, it's not that long), I got a real sense of the world that the COG live in, and had so much more fun playing both games again

Nonetheless, another great review...and by the way, I know you get paid for doing these reviews, but I dont think anyone's ever thanked you for them...It gives us gamers something to watch and laugh that relates to us....Thanks, and keep 'em coming!

the chest-high-walls were glaringly obvious in the first one too.
I like active reloading, even though it is a QTE.

And it's good to see people getting banned for commenting before they watch the video.

Damn this weeks banhammer had a good workout... Yahtzee seemed to have this I have to hate it, but I just can't voice this week and that gave it the spice it needed to make my day. It's good to remember that if you shut down half your brain when you play this game it's actually amazing...

There's a book!?

Someone cared about the story enough to write a book?!

I thought Yahtzee would comment on his accent in the last video. As for the plot of this game, I think they going with the fact troops are given orders and that they are rarely explained for what reason or something like that and that not everything in life is explained when to your average person when he encounters something new in the world. You are suppose to be a random solider no one really gives a damn about. Although, Gears 3 better have you charge into general's or whoever the head guy is of COG, chainsaw a leg off on get him to explain everything and the last Carmine better do something badass when he dies like taking out 10 Brumaks and an army of Berserkers. The Carmine in this game was a character not a red shirt. The worm deserved to be carved from the inside out. AVENGE CARMINE! MAKE THE LOCUST SUFFER!

Not sure of the author's relationship to the game, but it was pretty good...like I said before, tons of backstory

I love that for all the incredibly well-thought out and complex games he enjoys Yahtzee can praise the glories of plain ol' bloodshed, biceps/triceps/abs and BFGs for the fact that they are fun.

"Plus, there aren't any quicktime-events. Oh, wait, actually there is one. A little one. I guess that means I have to hate it then. Yeah, let's go with that. Fuck you, Cliffy B!"

I giggled like a schoolgirl from this sentence. Great and hilarious review as always. The thing about Dom's wife was deliciously evil and entertaining.

People still try to post 30 seconds after someone posts a video? Dear Lord. And why not ban them? Only suspend? :/

Anyway, if Yahtzee likes GoW 2, than it's not really worse than GoW. Which I never got to finish, because every time I got to Act IV, the game went PEW PEW SORREY NO SAVVED GAME START AGAIN JA? on my ass.

Also, I wish GoW 2 was on PC. I don't get it - they are trying to get money by forcing Gears for Win... I'm sorry, Games for Windows in every bloody major release (Fallout 3/Dawn of War 2), yet they don't want to get game porter to Windows?

That's like we're in Bizarro world, where Microsoft is fighting for rainforests and Bono is a cat-eating bastard.

LesIsMore:

So he's worked through his promised backlog - wonder what comes next?

Mario Kart Wii?

Ooooh kill me!

I wholeheartedly agree with this review!

How rare is that?

I am surprised that he didn't catch the significance of the whole "mutant super soldier" thing in the lab. Kind of makes me think he just ran through it without listening to any cut scenes or finding any of those ubiquitous lab reports strewn about the place.

Oh well, it will be funny to see him eat his words when its all explained in Gears of War 3.

-Dread_Reaper

rockchild17:
I think Gears of war 2 succeeds where games like it that yahtzee lampoons fail becuase of the fact that cliffy B is excactly the demographic that these games are made for. he just also happens to be a great game designer and have good articulation.

my friend got to hang out with Cliffy B. apparently apparently they just talked about Cliffy's new tattoo: a cog from gears shown ripping out of his skin. it is people like that who Gears of War are made for.

Hahaha.

Abedeus:
People still try to post 30 seconds after someone posts a video? Dear Lord. And why not ban them? Only suspend? :/

Anyway, if Yahtzee likes GoW 2, than it's not really worse than GoW. Which I never got to finish, because every time I got to Act IV, the game went PEW PEW SORREY NO SAVVED GAME START AGAIN JA? on my ass.

Also, I wish GoW 2 was on PC. I don't get it - they are trying to get money by forcing Gears for Win... I'm sorry, Games for Windows in every bloody major release (Fallout 3/Dawn of War 2), yet they don't want to get game porter to Windows?

That's like we're in Bizarro world, where Microsoft is fighting for rainforests and Bono is a cat-eating bastard.

what's funnier about this whole GoW2 not on Games for windows and microsoft basically delaying it is they will make more money if they release it for GFW.

my 360 died and i just can't be bothered to have a 5th one. i'm really cross with the 360 right now. but i do partly agree with him on mainstream games. some of them are good. but i'm getting tired of it. i liked back in the PS2 days when original IPs were coming out. something different. when stories were properly flushed out. but with the rise of casual and mainstream games. the quility of games has gone down. a lot of the younger kids or people just getting into gaming wouldn't know this. but this generation as far as games goes has kinda been a let down. I'll never own the number of games for the 360 or PS3 that i own for the PS2 combined

Great video. I have not played GW2 or one for that matter many cause it on Xbox only. You review give alot of detials about the game. Seems odd of a game that could make you undecide if you hate it or like it. I still like the 75% retard comment. Sill I think you being a bit nice. Haha I would have gone to at less 90% or more.

it must just be me, but whenever i did single player, if i got stunned, i was instantly dead, with no chance of being revived by my AI team mates, but when i did multi co-op with a friend they seemed to crowd around me and get in the way, just so they could be there to pick me up.

the video was good, and pretty much said it all. when you think about some of this shit it's quite obvious, and you wonder how you missed it. like the chest-high walls gag. they're everywhere, but you just say "yup" and keep on with it

good job for once and i had no problems with the ai

Lord Doom:
I thought Yahtzee would comment on his accent in the last video.

He does, in the comment on the last "credit" screen.

Also, isn't there some kinda badge for being suspended?

A well-rounded review. I talked to a friend who plays GoW2 incessantly and he also thought the wife subplot was annoying and unnecessary.

hilarious as always, Yahtzee. To be honest, I was hoping for more game reviewing than game rediculing, but in this it fit and was worth it anyway

As always nice review, full of laughs and good points about the game. All in all Gears of War 2 is a good game just not as good as they hyped it up to be (in my opinion anyway). Don't get me wrong I still liked. Don't suppose you can can do a Resistance 2 review, or Call of Duty world at War, please pretty please.

Best part was the line about the accent in the credits.

Loved it. Wondering how many students are going to make references to chest high walls in my classes tomorrow. Also, part of me hopes that some innocent wee gamer is going to watch that and think that games really *are* developed by blokes locked in cupboards.

haha so funney :ull get kicked so hard that ur balls will come out of ur ears laughed my arse off there

but in my opinon gears is really boring i mean could forgive it others things like id still buy it but i would recomned it to a friend unless there brain is like the ai in gears lol i dont it like because its just the same thing over and over agein fire fire fire cover cover cover thats all i mean in most shooters the enemi after a period of time will come up to u and force u to get out of there in gear ur just in cover all the time fireing at the same spot in till they die also as yatzee said its to set up for u (chest high walls)

Just for once I'd like to see a ZP video that doesn't suffer 5+ first-posters who get insta-suspended.

And GOW = Halo.

That was great! Chest high walls dropping from the ceiling, wearing half a car, and the moronic AI during revivals were dead on! Although I do have to say that the lab level does explain why there are giant insane thingies trying to kill you.
But what about the craptastic boss fights? After the ones in Gears 1, I was hoping for much more than the gimmick/repeat method of killing giant things.

Bored Tomatoe:
My god, he actually gave some good points to a game as well as bashing it...

Oh no, the world is ending! Run!!

PhiMed:
Best review in a while. Not only did he engage in constructive criticism, but he succeeded for the first time in month in making me laugh out loud.
"Sometimes popular things are popular for a reason. Because they're good... or because Will Smith is in it." HAHAHAHA

I know. That particular statement is the first thing in a long, long time that Yahtzee's said that I fully agree with.

Odoylerules360:

And it's good to see people getting banned for commenting before they watch the video.

Not really. We were finally getting the number of ZP banees down, I was thinking maybe the trolls learned their lessons. Oh well.

Whoever said that Yahtzee isn't funny anymore can go jump off a cliff! I fucking love every single episode and this one is no exception. I literally pissed myself when he said that joke with the little farting bird :D Hoo-bloody-ray for Yahtzee!

orannis62:

Odoylerules360:

Not really. We were finally getting the number of ZP banees down, I was thinking maybe the trolls learned their lessons. Oh well.

Do you think the ZP fanbase has leveled off yet?
I can't quite figure out how there are always soo many banees every video...

This is one of those lovely gems in which I agree with almost everything he says. I got Gears 1, returned it after beating it and got Gears 2 with the money from returning it, beat it, returned it and probably ended up MAKING money.

That being said, the campaigns were fun though the story was very very lacking and some sequences got frustrating, especially those split-up ones from Gears 1. But it didn't really have lasting appeal to me. I only wish Yahtzee had ventured into the buggy, cheater- and hacker-filled mess that is Gears 2 multiplayer.

I can't believe the first posters thought no one would notice them claiming to have watched it in under a minute.

Hmmm.. Yahtzee liked a game... I must get it.

It's hilarious how he bans the first few fanboys.

Yet more NPCs with the stupid virus, Is that what you were trying to say Yahtzee?
Also, an epidemic of chest high walls that doesn't transition to well?

All and all, very funny.

Very funny animations of Marcus and Dom, good episode overall.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 16992)