Lucy Goosey

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Lucy Goosey

Ten points to Athiestendor!

Read Full Article

I'm not sure this joke works since I'm pretty sure both movies weren't in cinmeas at the same time

..........I'll shut up now

Thanks for highlighting the most frustrating thing about watching anything on Youtube. Far worse than the guy on the opposing side of a debate is the guy on your side acting like a twat.

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaY

KAVINSKY!

*ehem*

Yeah, lol Atheism, right? It's true that the entire... group(?) has been kind of reduced to snark and sarcastic quips at religious groups.

Agnosticismwin >.>

I'll give you one, since you only gave ten percent of your effort to your joke.

Beyond that, as a Christian myself, can't we just get along? (I know what the answer is BTW). Also I don't know if you are doing it because it's based on the Bible, or the movie deviated from the source material. (I'm going with the former, just asking the latter because of the Game of Thrones article I read just a second ago.

I always find it fascinating to see how people, who spend most of their entertainment on Fantasy, Sci-Fi, and other, can be so obsessed with what other people think is real.
I don't get angry if people watch LotR, why should I get mad when people watch anything else.

Sigmund Av Volsung:

Yeah, lol Atheism, right? It's true that the entire... group(?) has been kind of reduced to snark and sarcastic quips at religious groups.

Agnosticismwin >.>

Not really, unless you're only including 'Internet Atheists' from Reddit, most Atheists I know including myself simply don't give a shit about religion.

On-topic, for some reason it took me a while to see that Noah sign in the second panel, then suddenly the joke made sense.

JoJo:

Sigmund Av Volsung:

Agnosticismwin >.>

Not really, unless you're only including 'Internet Atheists' from Reddit, most Atheists I know including myself simply don't give a shit about religion.

On-topic, for some reason it took me a while to see that Noah sign in the second panel, then suddenly the joke made sense.

In keeping with the spirit of things that can't defend themselves, I'll just blame the internet then :P

Maybe I'm just out of the game but I don't think that it's a fair assessment. I don't doubt there's a vocal bunch of internet atheists who do this, many of which I think are just trolling.

I don't think it's fair to paint the entire group with that brush. I'd suspect, by and large, most of us don't give that much of a shit.

JoJo:

The Atheists I've met don't care either, it's more if I was to come and try to preach to them, then they would tell me to shut up (I don't do that). I believe what I believe, and others believe what they believe. As long as they are not actively hurting others, then I don't care. I do know why some Atheists get tired of Christians, but not all of us are people who go around door to door, and march at certain places saying people will go to hell, and that includes both conservative and liberal Christians.

Besides the zinger, was there something that caused this to happen? Did they have someone come and try to convert them?

Got a little preachy there at the end don't you think Carter?

JoJo:

Sigmund Av Volsung:

Agnosticismwin >.>

Most of the ones I've talked to can't agree between themselves on whether Agnosticism and Atheism are separate things, or it's a case of being either a Gnostic or Agnostic Atheist.

I think maybe I should just stick to Daedra worship. The Nine Divines are cool, but their worshippers can get a little too preachy for my tastes.

OT: Heh, I used to know people like that. You had to go everywhere twice - the second time was to apologize.

In the 17th century, it was comforting to imagine our enemies as heathens. Now, it is comforting to imagine them as idiots.

For me, people can believe whatever the hell they want as long as they're not in my face about it. If you are in my face about it expect to hear exactly what I think of your beliefs and it probably won't be pretty.

Clowndoe:
Thanks for highlighting the most frustrating thing about watching anything on Youtube. Far worse than the guy on the opposing side of a debate is the guy on your side acting like a twat.

Argh, yes...

Or the people that make sure to drive others away then complain that everyone is too stupid to be on their side.

I really don't get people not liking Lucy purely for using the 10% thing. The force isn't real either, and I doubt Lucy is presenting itself as scientifically accurate given the superpowers she gets.

JoJo:

Sigmund Av Volsung:

Agnosticismwin >.>

Thank you! It is really starting to piss me off that everything from games to comics is accepted as having a vocal minority but all Atheists are the same, as long as someone is not doing anything to harm anyone because of religion I am completly indifferent. I think they are idiots for beliving what they do, but I don't begrudge them their faith.

The worst part about seeing and loving Noah was telling my friends about it, and getting the same response each time: "Oh, that bible movie? I didn't know you were religious..."

It's just a good movie guys. It's just a good movie...

Zombie Badger:
I really don't get people not liking Lucy purely for using the 10% thing. The force isn't real either, and I doubt Lucy is presenting itself as scientifically accurate given the superpowers she gets.

True, though nobody believes that you can be taught the force by a cute green Muppet, a lot of people really believe the 10% thing.

Oh look, another reason I largely avoid participatinginthe atheist community. Thats part of being in the internet, I suppose, for everybody being intelligent, there's somebody going "hurr hurr you's a stoopid". As far as I'm concerned, the credibility of somebody who uses words like "Christard" and "Creatard" takes a nose-dive faster than the religious folks who can abstain from bringing up god every other sentence.

Also, I heard that Noah wasn't even preachy or anything. I think that MovieBob actually liked it, and for him to like it and not get fussy about anything religious in it, it'd probably have to be pretty irreligious.

Sigmund Av Volsung:

KAVINSKY!

*ehem*

Agnosticismwin >.>

Better beee...

AGNOSTICLAW!

OT: You see, this is why I tell people that I believe in Dinosaurs and keep walking.

Yeah, I see that a lot.

There's a Swiss philosopher called Alain de Boton, who works in London, an atheist who studied religion and uses its many positive aspects to his and other atheists' advantage. He opened up centers that teach prayer-like meditation and stuff.

He wrote a book about what uses atheists can take away from religion. For that he was attacked by militant atheist Richard Dawkins disciples as a "theist in disguise".

Richard Dawkins is a clever man, no doubt about it, but as a biologist and a natural scientist he does not have the proper education and equipment to analyse and discuss religion with the authority he claims. Alain de Boton does. But yet Alain de Boton gets attacked by people who idolise and follow Richard Dawkins like some kind of guru.

What the fuck...

While I usually enjoy Critical Miss I found this one rather weak. Whatever punchline there was supposed to be didn't register with me. Oh well, everybody has their off-days.

Mcoffey:
The worst part about seeing and loving Noah was telling my friends about it, and getting the same response each time: "Oh, that bible movie? I didn't know you were religious..."

It's just a good movie guys. It's just a good movie...

Never saw Noah, but I agree with your point.

I get the same reaction when I tell people how underrated The Prince of Egypt was.

PunkRex:

Sigmund Av Volsung:

KAVINSKY!

*ehem*

Agnosticismwin >.>

Better beee...

AGNOSTICLAW!

OT: You see, this is why I tell people that I believe in Dinosaurs and keep walking.

Just want to give you a heads up that we ran with this joke on twitter and people have came up with "Secularyn" and "Gryffreethinkindor." No one's came up with one for Hufflepuff yet, because no one likes Hufflepuff.

"Big chunk". Yeah, sure. Most of my fellow atheists I've met don't go provoking religious types. Not because we're afraid of being repressed or tortured like in times past, but because we're more grown up than that. Most atheists don't push their beliefs on others because they're mature enough to follow the golden rule. We really only debate or argue if pressed.

In my experience, it's only some Christians and a handful of insecure atheists/agnostics who feel the need to score points. And I just shake my head slowly at all of them.

Zombie Badger:

I think they're just disappointed that it was Lucy and not a Black Widow movie.

Super Cyborg:

JoJo:

The Atheists I've met don't care either, it's more if I was to come and try to preach to them, then they would tell me to shut up (I don't do that). I believe what I believe, and others believe what they believe. As long as they are not actively hurting others, then I don't care. I do know why some Atheists get tired of Christians, but not all of us are people who go around door to door, and march at certain places saying people will go to hell, and that includes both conservative and liberal Christians.

Besides the zinger, was there something that caused this to happen? Did they have someone come and try to convert them?

We get a lot of Jehovah's witnesses knocking on doors but i doubt that just pisses atheists off.

On the believing or not front, it's a choice, and given the lack of evidence in either direction both valid.

Religion is no longer a major force in the secular, Western world, so there's not much for atheists to argue or fight about. Hence, a large proportion of the arguing is from those who can't see the silliness of shooting fish in a barrel.

The faith lobby isn't bogged down by morons enough to not control one of the US's 2 major political parties. Morons seem to go hand-in-hand with popular sovereignty.

If the criteria for good/bad sci-fi is if they are 100% scientifically accurate, then by that reasoning Star Trek, Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Battlestar Galactica (new and old), Matrix, Stargate (all of them), Dr. Who, etc. etc. are all terrible shows and should be constantly called out for their scientific inaccuracies, right?

Seriously, the worst thing that the Internet brought about is that it made everyone so bitchy...

It took me three lines for me to realise that was a London Grammar remix. Huh. Reminds me of Protomen.

I watched that controversial scene from Noah, the birth of the earth 7 day one, with Russell Crowe talking over it like someone trying to grade a breezeblock. I thought it was spectacularly done.

Capatcha: Blah Blah Blah. Yup.

Vault101:
I'm not sure this joke works since I'm pretty sure both movies weren't in cinmeas at the same time

..........I'll shut up now

I'm sure somewhere Noah's still going. Though I could only find 2 lkistings in Texas and one in Minnesota. Quick! Where does Erin live? We need to make sure this theater is accurate!

<.<

Clowndoe:

And this is why I steer clear of the Amazing Atheist.

I'm not sure if that counts as a point or a zinger, so I'm going to go with "both."

Sigmund Av Volsung:

If you drop the specification of "at religious people," you described the entire "group" of the internet, though, so it's not like there's anything that stands out about this behaviour.

Jandau:
If the criteria for good/bad sci-fi is if they are 100% scientifically accurate, then by that reasoning Star Trek, Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Battlestar Galactica (new and old), Matrix, Stargate (all of them), Dr. Who, etc. etc. are all terrible shows and should be constantly called out for their scientific inaccuracies, right?

Seriously, the worst thing that the Internet brought about is that it made everyone so bitchy...

You do realise that people bitch about the scientific accuracy in all of the above, right? Even the fans will? There are people who just can't get past warp drive or the TARDIS or psychics or snakes that can cure all disease.

The Wooster:

PunkRex:

Sigmund Av Volsung:

KAVINSKY!

*ehem*

Agnosticismwin >.>

Better beee...

AGNOSTICLAW!

Just want to give you a heads up that we ran with this joke on twitter and people have came up with "Secularyn" and "Gryffreethinkindor." No one's came up with one for Hufflepuff yet, because no one likes Hufflepuff.

Kerfufflepuff, for those who don't wanna get involved.

Sigmund Av Volsung:

KAVINSKY!

*ehem*

Agnosticismwin >.>

Not that there is any snark in the comment above. Not that that's really something to worry about. Most people speak of other religions with a bit of snark or condescension. Atheism just gets a bad rap because its the most openly opposed.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here