Escape to the Movies: Guardians of the Galaxy - Surprise! This Movie Rocks!

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Guardians of the Galaxy - Surprise! This Movie Rocks!

Guardians of the Galaxy feels like a great throwback to the classic summer action films of days past with just enough heart to not be distracting.

Watch Video

What? No ranking of GotG in the Marvel 10? The impression I get is "not as good as The Avengers", and I guess it's not as good as Captain America: The Winter Soldier, then.

You almost sound a little disappointed that this film turned out to be good. I guess meeting expectations is not really exciting all the time.

Yeah, this movie was insanely good. The best Marvel movie by far.

And now I have to go watch everything from James Gunn. I fell in love as soon as the opening credits shots started.

The giant Xbox ad is insanely distracting in a bad way. I haven't even watched the review because of this, but it looks like everyone likes the movie so I might not even bother.

I had the same nagging feeling of "it's going to end" when I watched Pixar movies.

Totally not surprised. :D

Evonisia:
What? No ranking of GotG in the Marvel 10? The impression I get is "not as good as The Avengers", and I guess it's not as good as Captain America: The Winter Soldier, then.

I think he might do the ranking in next week's Intermission once he's had some time to chew on it, or maybe in that Marvel-focused series he's doing.

OT: I'll go see it, probably; I'm not too jazzed even after this review, but my friends are. I was hoping they would keep the GotG bit separate from the Infinity Stones to delay the inevitable crossover and give some time to build up the space opera side of things and make the universe seem truly big (If we don't get Civil War, a Planet Hulk would be nice).

This film was awesome, the clip at the end of the credits was a total stinger though, no revelations folks, just a 'did they really just put him on screen?' moment.

Thunderous Cacophony:
Planet Hulk would be nice).

That would be brilliant. They need to do something gonzo different with that character.

They finally got him right in the 2nd 1/2 of Avengers when, for no reason, he developed a personality.

Great. Now he has one. Use him.

Another dig at The Dark Knight Rises? Seriously Bob? Seriously. Please stop this shit, it is petty and old and happens in literally every video now.

Anyway, I give it 3.5 / 5 stars. Better than The Avengers for sure.

+ Really good visuals
+ Absolutely hilarious
+ Great soundtrack
+ Likeable main characters
- Plot was unremarkable
- Villains and protagonists lacked depth
- Action was fairly standard run of the mill stuff for the most part

Con #2 is my biggest gripe - so many things were just handwaved when I really wanted to learn a lot more about the various characters and their backgrounds and the cultures of the movie - they could've done some serious world building here but overall that was where it fell the most short.

I can go home and wikipedia them all I want (damn Thanos' appearance was awesome) but I just wanted a bit more background about who the Kree and the Nova Corps were, their traditions and history, and what the background of Thanos' daughters and stuff were and why their relationship between each other and their dad was so weird.

They just needed a bit of downtime between the relentless action scenes to give this rich galaxy a bit of history.

Gonna compare it to Star Wars - in between the action set pieces you get moments on the Falcon where the characters are just talking and developing and I think we needed some of that in GOTG.

Film definitely surpassed my expectations though.

Saw it last night, it's one of the best Marvel movies if not the best, I think that all depends on the tone you like in your movies. Regardless though, if you like the rest of the Marvel movies, you'll love this.

It sounded like Bob was trying to keep his Fanboy in check during the review, hence it came off a little understated. But this movie is awesome. It 100% succeeds in being the comic book movie that it wants to be, but if you're looking for something beyond that genre of movie, it's not that.

Gxas:

And now I have to go watch everything from James Gunn. I fell in love as soon as the opening credits shots started.

Slither is awesome, but gross, and it has Nathan Fillion in it.

Anyway, really looking forward to this. I just hope it isn't going to be the one film my local skips over in the summer (like they did with Hellboy 2 AND Pacific Rim)

Anyone getting the feeling that the Infinity Gauntlet will either be a 3-5 hour experience? They are putting a lot of effort in this build up.

And while I haven't loved every Pixar movie, I don't have the feeling they have lost the way so much as a "not every movie can be as good as Incredibles" vibe.

I'm surprised you didn't mention anything about the stinger. But I agree with you for the most part. Especially the ending.

Burnouts3s3:
I had the same nagging feeling of "it's going to end" when I watched Pixar movies.

That's different IMO. Whereas Pixar made their name creating new and interesting universes, Marvel is just adapting an already pretty well fleshed-out universe. It was kind of inevitable that Pixar would exhaust their best creative ideas and end up in sequel purgatory. But with Marvel, sequels are kind of what you sign up for from the start, and the universe is much more elaborate and expandable than Toy Story, Cars, etc. that pretty much just worked off of one central gimmick/premise.

captcha: "we go forwards"...pretty much sums up the difference for Marvel, while Pixar just started going round in circles.

I loved this movie. My only small issue with it in hindsight is that this movie would have been perfect for introducing Doctor Strange.

impocalyptic:
I'm surprised you didn't mention anything about the stinger. But I agree with you for the most part. Especially the ending.

I'm thinking he might not have seen it. It wasn't attatched to the film until the opening week screenings.

As the credits were winding down I was thinking and hoping it was certain things would happen and then bam. "WAAAT? NO WAAAAY." My theatre just started dying laughing. I've heard some say their's reacted with groans and other sounds.

Any self respecting comicbook nerd should know what was in the post credits scene, I couldn't stop laughing it was so shocking XD

Saw this last night and while its very enjoyable (and will be going again next week), it lacked any emotional weight which meant while I enjoyed spending time with the characters, I never really cared about any of them. I also couldnt get over the fact that I felt like I'd seen a lot of it before as the plot treads very cliche'd ground

Please don't let my comments put you off though as while I was watching it I enjoyed (almost) every minute of it. The way the team came together felt very organic, few of the jokes misfire (though there was a mixed reaction to the Pollock joke) and in terms of universe building Marvel have thrown what feels like their entire space based catalog at the wall and will now be waiting to see what sticks and can be mined further.

Only question now is can JJ Abrams out-do what feels like the best Star Wars film so far?

Gxas:

Watch Slithers, it has Nathan Fillion in it as well.

endtherapture:
Another dig at The Dark Knight Rises? Seriously Bob? Seriously.

I didn't catch any potshots at TDKR, then again I only listened to the review.

Still, it wouldn't surprise me given how namored Bob is with Marvel.

Doesn't seem like a whole lot was revealed for this review, which is good for me.

I'm going to try and see this movie tonight, but if not, I'll watch it over the weekend when I have off from work.

In answer to the opening, I suspect that Marvel have some dark satanic pact going on (hey they ARE in Disney now) and all the really bad films get lumbered on DC. Now I will pre-empt the bat-fans here, I know the response will be..

"but the Nolan films are reeeeeeeeeaaaallly great."

Nope, no they were not. Better than green lantern and man of steel? Well yes because even howard the duck, daredevil and the punisher films were better than those retarded abominations but The Nolan Bat films are really not holding up well on home video, The marvel stuff is much more rewatchable.

I can't believe people have the complaints they do about this movie.
It's the Best Marvel Movie by Far. Beats avengers and cap 3 on the 'action scale', beats pretty much any humor moment ever, and just lets the scale and the fan-boyism just let loose. Theres just so much stuff to it, its great.

I feel like Bob is downplaying himself here drastically, because of complaints of over-fanaticism before. Don't let that fool you, any other day Bob would be gushing about this movie. It's a shame he put on his critic pants, because I came for the fanboy pants.

Evonisia:

You almost sound a little disappointed that this film turned out to be good. I guess meeting expectations is not really exciting all the time.

How do you really "rank" a movie that's so different from all the others? I mean, yeah, Thor and Iron Man are very different, but they still both rank up there as "triple-A superheroes" while Guardians of the Galaxy are B and C-list underdogs.

I like how they were described: If The Avengers are The Beatles, Guardians of the Galaxy are the Rolling Stones.

I'm sure you can "rank" them, but it's like trying to rank your favorite songs from different genres, including classical, rock, rap, and country. Is a great rock song not as good as Beethoven? How does one "rank" greatness on a scale like that?

Ultimately, it sounds like preference. Already I've heard this movie spoken in the same sentence as Ghosbusters, Back to the Future, Star Wars, Firefly, and other classics.

That's good enough for me.

Uriel_Hayabusa:

endtherapture:

I am thinking its when Bob said "That used to define the summer blockbuster before the dourness and bloated runtimes". He used a picture of The Dark Knight Rises and Bourne Ultimatum to describe the dourness and the latest Transformers to show bloated runtimes.

I really don't consider it a knock for I consider the Nolan Batman movies to have been the start of the "dark and serious" summer movies and dourness can be used to describe gloomy and severe I think it might be a good way to describe the Batman movies.

Um...I'd like to watch this vid, but unfortunately because it is currently in the form of "click on thumbnail to bring up new window that's not really a new window but is instead supposed to be the video surrounded by a frame that's one big XBOX One ad", it's not playing for me. Any chance we can ditch the use of the "vid by way of adframe" since it doesn't work for everybody?

CAPTCHA: downward slope

What Captcha said.

EDITKINESIS ALPHA: Okay, never mind. Apparently, "Escapist - Like Chrome/Hate IE". Still...work on that, guys. A Microsoft made ad should not be causing a Microsoft made web browser to not work properly.

Glad to see this was a good movie. I have to agree though...Marvel's luck has got to run out at some time. Law of averages and all that.

revjor:

impocalyptic:

I'm thinking he might not have seen it. It wasn't attatched to the film until the opening week screenings.

As the credits were winding down I was thinking and hoping it was certain things would happen and then bam. "WAAAT? NO WAAAAY." My theatre just started dying laughing. I've heard some say their's reacted with groans and other sounds.

Oh that's right. I forgot about that. But yeah. My theater pretty much did the same. Lots of laughs and lots of "please no!"

sweeet glad to hear. Gonna try and see it this afternoon

Windknight:
Anyway, really looking forward to this. I just hope it isn't going to be the one film my local skips over in the summer (like they did with Hellboy 2 AND Pacific Rim)

Who the hell is running that theater and why are they still in business with decisions like that?

Uriel_Hayabusa:

endtherapture:

He showed an image of TDKR when he mentioned Hollywood summer blockbuster trending towards "punishing dourness and bloated runtimes". He used didn't use TDKR for "bloated runtimes" though, he used one of the Transformers films for that (and rightfully so - they're horrendously long). He didn't even say anything about the quality of TDKR itself.

I have a feeling that Bob wouldn't be so vehement with his feelings about that trend if it didn't claim Man of Steel as a victim. I mean, aside from Marvel films, can you name any Hollywood summer blockbusters in recent memory that were meant to be fun, uplifting, or inspiring, movies like Star Wars, Jurassic Park, and Independence Day? For me,I can only think of Pacific Rim. Thats not to say that they're necessarily bad movies for being somber, but just like in the videogame industry, and how we want more than grim-dark middle-aged white dudes with stubble, some movie-goers would enjoy movies that weren't about grim-dark middle-aged white dudes with stubble who occassionally wearing a disguise. Here's to hoping that Jurassic World and Fantastic Four deviate from that for next year, because Batman vs Superman: Dawn of the Mirroring of Marvel Studios' Efforts sure won't be.

Windknight:
Slither is awesome, but gross, and it has Nathan Fillion in it.

SonOfVoorhees:
Watch Slithers, it has Nathan Fillion in it as well.

Meh, that doesn't sell me on it as much as it might someone else. I don't care about Fillion much. He's good, but he's not what most make him out to be, in my eyes.

I can't wait to see this movie because it seems like it's right up my alley. Space operas about rogue characters like Firefly and Farscape are the kind of thing I look out for and always eat up, so I'm probably going to like this movie regardless. I've also always had a thing for the more obscure comic book characters (one of my favorite comics is seriously The Darkness) so this movie has looked like a hit from the very beginning to someone with my sensibilities. Pretty much all my friends and the internet have confirmed I'll love it.

I don't think Marvel movies always knock it out of the park, though; I really didn't care for Captain America: The First Avenger or Thor, but their sequels were superior. To me, it shows that the Marvel/Disney force is willing to learn from their mistakes - something that Sony and Fox aren't. I liked Days of Future Past just fine, but it was still no where near as good as the first two and Spider-man can't continue to skate by on marketability alone. Although he IS being marketed to children, so hey, maybe he can.

So you're saying Bob gave a positive review to a Marvel Studios film? Alert the Media!

Saw it last night and loved it! The dialogue between the characters is hilarious, but sometimes the tone shifts with a jerk, like it began with Peter seeing his dying-of-cancer mom in the hospital. As the son of a brain cancer survivor on their way to recovery, that struck some chords for me.
But, there's a lot of kick-ass action, the characters develop and grow, there's lot of blink-and-you-miss-it background things, and you damn well better stay through the end credits.

You think we're going to be plagued with tons of racoons plushies?
He looks very cute and marketable.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or