Guest Columnist: The Japanese (Still) Can't Get Online Games Right

Guest Columnist: The Japanese (Still) Can't Get Online Games Right

Japanese developers make some of the most lush, creative games available...so why can't they do decent online?

I suppose necessity is still the mother of invention. They're not good at it, because they don't really use it. Cultural differences are what makes the games so unique.
I really enjoyed the article. Good stuff.

edit: eek thats not me who posted. Darn forum bug

Right try again: So I guess that means I wont find any Japanese Gamer Girls on Game-4-a-Date then. One more reason to ignore that site then :-D

Shivari:
edit: eek thats not me who posted. Darn forum bug

You are not me!

Oh, this is amusing.

From the article:

Because to the Japanese, gamers who play online are losers who have no friends.

You mean like in most Western countries? :(

The west is no better sometimes, even big name titles like GTA4 had broken, buggy and laggy as hell online play.

Does this mean that Resident Evil 5's co-op is shit (as well as Street Fighter IV, effectively terminating its entire reason for existence)?

Though this would go far in explaining why MGO, an online game with such great promise, turned out to be so incredibly shit in terms of interface.

Can somebody correct me, what about phantasy star online (dreamcast and then gamecube) i looooooooooved that game, and years before WoW it was pretty amazing and a lot of fun for me and a lot of friends. Was that not japanese?

Samah:
From the article:

Because to the Japanese, gamers who play online are losers who have no friends.

You mean like in most Western countries? :(

*lmao* Yea, I think it's universal that MMORPG = lack of friends, at least lack of friends who don't play MMORPGs.

Because to shoe horn online play into Japanese games is just pointless. Mario online anyone?

When it comes to online play it's all about the MMOs, which are HUGE. It's just there's so many girls on line they don't gear it towards agression and PvP, it's about gentle but long grinding to get a spiffy hat. Which just fails in the western market.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here