Skyrim: Cabbage Rocket

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Skyrim: Cabbage Rocket

An opinionated opinion based on opinions.

Read Full Article

if god hand is supposed to be on every list then so should Okami and Viewtiful Joe.

Grey, does Cory hate you for making him draw cars?

Seriously, fuck drawing cars. Major pain in the ass...

Bu...bu...BUT SKYRIM HAS NUDES AND DRAGONS!

I mean, um...a thought provoking story on race in politics.

Yeah, yeah that works out better.

Best games to practice your "scratching" technique on your turntable with:

1. God Hand
2. Okami
3. Viewtiful Joe
4. Skyrim
5. Kane and Lynch 2: Dog Days

I don't get it? Why does everyone here like Okami? Outside of awesome art style and themes, it was littered with annoying characters, extremely poor pacing and awful combat.

Mods can be considered a game's feature if the game was made with mods in mind, which has been the case for every Elder Scrolls game since Morrowind. Also, I think Skyrim holds pretty well even without the mods - all I needed were some graphics/UI improvements and the Unofficial Patch. Also Lightsabers.

Well I'd say "literally a monster" is a bit under-doing it in terms of internet hyperboles, they're more somewhere in-between (literally) Hitler and Anita Sarkeesian.

But yes you're absolutely right on both counts.

I've pretty much done nothing but Skyrim this week and I still wouldnt put Skyrim on a "Best of" anything list. It's good, clunky, junky fun.

This is why we really can't have ranked lists for a genre anymore, as opinions vary so much that there really can never be a top 5 everyone can agree on. Maybe we should push for "highly suggested" lists instead? no rankings, just a list of games people suggest playing for other people. Much more useful and much less biased that way.

(also, note to staff and me: I got a really, really, really sketchy captcha when posting this, as it said my account had "suspicious activity" and asked for my email. I had it generate new ones until I got a satisfactory one.)

I like Skyrim. I didn't realise that was unusual.

CrashBang:
I like Skyrim. I didn't realise that was unusual.

It's not. It's just cool to hate on things that were super popular 2 years ago. Skyrim *is* one of the 10 best RPGs of all time. Did it have its issues? Sure. What game doesn't?

Skyrim IS awesome with mods, and unlike modding a car, it costs $0 to elevate the game to new heights of awesomeness. As for "best X of all time" lists, they're utterly worthless. I've never even heard of Godhand, so I'm just going to attribute that to neurotic erin being neurotic.

Yes, God Hand for the win. My day has been made because of that.

I think it would've been better so say God Hand is the best no matter the X, and that best lists are stupid, and pointless since God Hand is so full of win. The lists are so silly, because it's always changing, and people are going to complain no matter what, because reasons. The only ones I can accept to an extent is the best/worst of the year, mainly because that let's me learn which games that year most considered good and bad, so I can consider those games another time.

Also, Elvis from God Hand needs to appear in this comic. Dude is awesome and would make the comic full of win, just saying.

Bethesda is the greatest developer at making games that make no sense to why I enjoy them.

Fallout 3. Extremely easy, extremely poor story (especially compared to New Vegas) black and white morals in a genre that requires grey morals to be good and the only positive was it had a decent world. Out of three completed playthroughs of GOTY edition, 135 hours. Probs another 40 hours from uncompleted playthroughs.

Skyrim, extremely poor main quest, combat which while often pitting you against far stronger enemies, but is nearly entirely designed around exploiting enemy AI; terrible side quests with a running theme of undeserved praise and absurd stakes that you get a shit reward for, worse animation and physics quality then even Oblivion for fuck sake. One 170 hour playthrough, one 135 hour playthrough, three 75 hour playthroughs, about five 30-45 hour playthroughs, and two 15 hour start ups. Plus a couple of 3 hour start ups where I stopped caring 5 seconds in. And that's unmodded.

And I've never found a single mod for either of the games outside of the better menu mod for Skyrim that has even a shred of professionalism, bug testing or proper UI design. Therefore I never bother with shit coded by half wits.

Scars Unseen:
Best games to practice your "scratching" technique on your turntable with:

5. Kane and Lynch 2: Dog Days

It made me literally ill. I have rarely seen such brave commentary on crime and violence in American society.

ART.

I can;'t stand the way Bethesda does RPG's

its like playing with virtual action figures they make you think anything you do matters but it doesn't

My first experience with God Hand was when my roommate in college picked it up one evening on a random whim. He started playing it around 11pm and the beginning seemed sort of bland and clunky so I ignored it and went back to playing WoW (*shudders*). The morning I had to get up at 9am for class and as I was leaving the apartment I saw that he was still playing in the living room, even though he had class soon too. Later, when I got back in the evening, he was still in the living room playing God Hand.

I asked him, "Dude, didn't you have class today? Did you stay home ALL DAY playing this?" He turned around to look at me, seemingly unaware that I was ever there until I spoke up. His eyes were bloodshot and his mouth slightly agape, and he stared right through me into the unending void. Without speaking, he bid me to take a seat by his side. Curious, I took a seat, and he returned his gaze to the screen and continued where he had left off. Since there is no way to possibly describe what I experienced using words, just watch this:

http://youtu.be/6s544sFja5k?t=7m15s

I enjoyed and still enjoy Skyrim a lot, but it's certainly not a fantastic RPG. It's a sandbox, walking and looting simulator with occasional RPG elements.

I imagine that people born in the 90's and early 00's like these lists, so they can find out about all the good games they didn't get to play back then. The rest of us get to bicker and whine about how wrong they are :)

Well...

Call me elitist, but when I choose my best games of X, I always take into account modding.
If a game does not have mods? Well, tough luck, fuck it. If it has? That is a BIG plus.

Say what you like about, Bethesda, they're the masters of creating games that seem absolutely brilliant for the first two hours.

Um... no? Skyrim falls flat on its face in the first two MINUTES and only gets worse from there. I guess the road between the tutorial dungeon and first town might seem pretty good.

I said it before and I'll say it again: Totalbiscuit's definition of Skyrim is 100% perfect. "Skyrim is like a two-feet-deep ocean". There are tons of things to do and see, but none of them have any depth or complexity.

And mods are just a big spade to make that ocean a bit deeper in some areas.

Unlike the ghetto civic, I can mod my Skyrim for 0$.

I can certainly agree with the caption below about Bethesda being great at making games that look amazing for the first 2 hours. Bethesda games are great, until you the illusion starts to unravel, and the bugs reveal themselves. Still, I can't fault them for their ambition.

Rainbow_Dashtruction:
I don't get it? Why does everyone here like Okami? Outside of awesome art style and themes, it was littered with annoying characters, extremely poor pacing and awful combat.

I second that. Okami was an interesting ride, but after I finished it, I thought about all the baggage I had gone through and decided never to touch it again.

Charcharo:
Well...

Call me elitist, but when I choose my best games of X, I always take into account modding.
If a game does not have mods? Well, tough luck, fuck it. If it has? That is a BIG plus.

A terrible game with amazing mods is a terrible game.
An amazing game with no mod support is an amazing game.

The second, whether the mods make the first better then the second, is not a better game.

As I've always said: When choosing whether a game is worth buying? Mods are a selling point. When choosing whether a game is good? Mods aren't the game, and something that is not part of the game cannot improve it any more then Battlefield can improve a Call of Duty game.

For example. Age of Pirates 2 is an incredibly bad game.
Gentlemen of Fortune is one of the most enjoyable mods I've ever played, and has more professionalism then any mod I've ever played.
Age of Pirates 2 is still a really bad game, even if I'd recommend buying it thanks to Gentleman of Fortune.

-Dragmire-:

I find most man-made objects a pain in the bumper to draw, all straight lines and angles.

OT: I didn't realise there was so much contempt for Skyrim.

Keiichi Morisato:
if god hand is supposed to be on every list then so should Okami and Viewtiful Joe.

I dunno about that. Even if they were all by clover, Godhand and Okami were as different as night and day, with Godhand being nonstop fun (really, it was very hard to stop playing that game, no matter how many times I did it), while Okami was interesting and unique, but also slow-paced and very dull at points. Also that paintbrush feature, for all its uniqueness, was very irritating to handle.
I haven't played Viewtiful Joe yet.

Anyway, while it mainly comes down to preference, I don't think I could imagine seeing both of them together on any sort of list.

Rainbow_Dashtruction:

Charcharo:
Well...

A terrible game with amazing mods is a terrible game.
An amazing game with no mod support is an amazing game.

The second, whether the mods make the first better then the second, is not a better game.

As I've always said: When choosing whether a game is worth buying? Mods are a selling point. When choosing whether a game is good? Mods aren't the game, and something that is not part of the game cannot improve it any more then Battlefield can improve a Call of Duty game.

For example. Age of Pirates 2 is an incredibly bad game.
Gentlemen of Fortune is one of the most enjoyable mods I've ever played, and has more professionalism then any mod I've ever played.
Age of Pirates 2 is still a really bad game, even if I'd recommend buying it thanks to Gentleman of Fortune.

Well, games do not exist in a vacuum :P . So I judge mod support VERY highly. Developers should be hammered to support it...

Mod support is ALWAYS a bonus. It is ALWAYS a good thing. Its a plus. It a feaure greater then any other individual feature IMHO.
It is for me an OBJECTIVELY good feature.

Of coarse, if you mean completely terrible (subjective) game against a great (subjective) game, then even mod support wont be enough for me to recommend it over the great game.
But if its close? The game with mods will win.

3 years after release and the anti-hype is in full effect.

Skyrim's world, lore, and equipment are the best I've ever seen in a game. So few games have the courage to actually include nature in their world. It's ridiculous to see worlds constantly set in cities and villages when wilds would logically cover a majority of the land in any medieval setting. Besides the huge and varied world that rewards exploration with beautiful vistas, hidden ruins, and unique items the combat is also good. Now, it's not without its flaws, but I've always loved the physicality of the first person elder scrolls combat. No other game I've seen combines that kind of combat and RPG progression in a world of similar quality and scope. And don't say the Witcher, while I love the story of that game the combat's just a pain.

And mods? Mods don't hold a candle to and of the Bethesda-made content. Who cares about a bunch of reskins pandering to various fandoms.

I was upset when people criticizing Skyrim in the early days, but considering that I have modded Skyrim with more interesting stuff that should have put in the vanilla, I began to see Skyrim's many faults. The threads above already felt like they're reading my mind.

Hoping that Fallout 4 breaks all the negativity that will probably getting worse if they do not change their repeated ways, or hoping Todd Howard desperately need to make a better game, like how they developed Morrowind before the company is bankrupt. But I doubt that will happen thought.

-Dragmire-:

True story: Gary Larson, the cartoonist responsible for The Far Side, once tried to draw a simple one-panel comic about a dog dreaming that it had murdered a car. Unfortunately, he had difficulty drawing the car, and people mistook it for a dog having sex with a car. This resulted in outrage, lost newspaper subscriptions, and him being kicked from some newspapers.

Seriously, screw drawing cars.

OT: Godhand: Best Non-Violent Adventure Game Of All Time?

Rainbow_Dashtruction:

Because any game that's worth discussing is apparently enough reason to fellate it. That's pretty much how today's gaming media works. Mechanics, controls, gameplay? Fuck that.

Yeah, anti-hype is the only possible reason anybody could dislike Skyrim. It couldn't be the fact that it's really buggy. It couldn't be the fact that after the first thirty minutes it's crazy unfocused. It couldn't be that large chunks of the game are built around MMORPG mentalities, the skinnerboxy idea that combat doesn't need to be fun, it's only there so that you can win at combat and get stuff and level yourself up for more combat. I didn't like this game in the first place, so clearly the fault is entirely on me; it couldn't possibly be that the game was less than perfect.

When it comes down to it, this game may have a tremendously good world to it, but I never had any reason to care about my own character, and the act of actually doing stuff in the game wasn't particularly enjoyable. Traveling wasn't fun, combat was a chore, and I got bored and quit within two hours. If the "keep going, it gets better later" excuse doesn't fly with Final Fantasy XIII, I sure won't accept it here, either.

P.S. Thanks

P.P.S. Regarding mods: Mod support is certainly a worthy factor to consider when judging a game. The actual mods are not so much. And frankly, a game should never need mods; support should be a la Left 4 Dead 2: totally optional for a great experience, but still worth checking out.

Doom972:
Mods can be considered a game's feature if the game was made with mods in mind[...]

Can, but shouldn't.
It's essentially praising Bethesda for work someone else did. People who didn't even got paid for it.

Look at a different situation. Incredibly shitty game gets incredibly awesome mod. The game would stay just as shit as it always was and all my praise would be targeted at the developers of the mod, not those who made a shitty game. Why would I praise them for this?

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 72787)