No Right Answer: Best Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle Continuity

Best Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle Continuity

Before Michael Bay gets to display fecal matter that somehow bears resemblance to your childhood, we debate what's come closest to being the perfect Ninja Turtle.

Watch Video

No mention of the cartoon series where the Shredder was an Utron? SHAMEF...! Well, actually, to be fair it jumped the Street Shark when they went to the future...

CAPTCHA: been there

o.O? Okay...when did the Captcha learn to time travel? The Doctor left the TARDIS open again, DIDN'T HE?!?

I'm sure i'm not the only one who wants a episode dedicated to them just playing with toys and making there own continuity.

Actually, the live action movies and the CGI movie from 2007 are two separate continuities, because in Turtles Forever...

The current run of the comics and the current animated series are best imo.

Hi
Any chance of you guys ever doing a best spinoff series? I even have some great contenders: Daria vs. Boston Legal vs. Frasier

Got another topic as well.
Best friendships, could even go with 3 sub categories. Male Male Friendship (for example Danny Crane and Alan Shore), Male Female Friendship (for example Jack Donaghy and Liz Lemon)), Female Female Friendship (for example Daria Morgendorfer and Jane Lane).

Just an idea guys.

oh man, that was probably one of the most entertaining videos you guys have ever done. And easily the best ending by far.

I hate to admit (especially since I really like the current show), but I think you guys are right. Which continuity had the pizza thrower? The toys? Debate over.

Pizza Thrower always wins.

I always loved the transformer turtles, the ones that turned from regular turtles to TMNT

skylog:
Actually, the live action movies and the CGI movie from 2007 are two separate continuities, because in Turtles Forever...

...and that's why I feel that Turtles Forever is the best continuity overall because of that... It's basically the ultimate win on all counts!

OT: "Just because you're the first doesn't mean you're the best..."

Isn't that [one of] the best counterarguments for any cartoon/live-action series that was brought back from the 80's to the 90's and/or any part of the 21st century [excluding if it was brought back by Michael Bay, of course]?

asako23:
Hi
Any chance of you guys ever doing a best spinoff series? I even have some great contenders: Daria vs. Boston Legal vs. Frasier

Got another topic as well.
Best friendships, could even go with 3 sub categories. Male Male Friendship (for example Danny Crane and Alan Shore), Male Female Friendship (for example Jack Donaghy and Liz Lemon)), Female Female Friendship (for example Daria Morgendorfer and Jane Lane).

Just an idea guys.

Oh man, best spinoff is a great idea. It's totally going on the list of lists. Thanks!

Veldie:
I'm sure i'm not the only one who wants a episode dedicated to them just playing with toys and making there own continuity.

Don't tempt us

So wait, did they leave Canada? Is Shredder still in control of their health care? I MUST KNOW HOW THIS ENDS!

Firefilm:

Veldie:

Don't tempt us

You get to live your dreams of bringing all your story's from childhood to life and for everyone to witness.

I must tempt you guys. :D

Oh my god, I have Sergeant Bananas too!

I never thought about it until now, but you guys are totally right about the extra continuity characters in the action figure line. They came up with some weird shit.

Veldie:

You're not alone, Veldie!

That "Eh" at the end really pushed it over the top, well done!
Good discussion too!!!

So the best canon is head-canon. Who'da a thunk.

2003 Turtles was the best, hands down. That show was wicked.

I had a few of those figures as a kid! Thanks for bringing back some good memories.
I have to agree about what you guys said about comic books getting SERIOUS, and they're only getting more so. To an ironically insane degree.

You should have done one of these for Transformers when Age of Extinction came out.

Same thing with the Comics being the original continuity but people keep forgetting.

Though the IDW stuff right now is the best continuity.

I was all set to be disappointed if they didn't mention the original comics.

They didn't need to WIN, but they had to at least be addressed.

Firefilm:

Veldie:

Don't tempt us

A episode of the Best Turtles Continuity and yet, NO mention of the 2003 series? What blasphemy is this?

Meh. The 2003 cartoon wipes the floor with the rest of continuities. And bear in mind that I grew up with the 1987 cartoon. And 1987 cartoon DOES NOT apply by any of your criteria - it does NOT represent the turtles, because it's all original stories while the first live-action movie and 2003 cartoon adapt arcs from the comics and it DOES NOT hold up - the animation is horrible after the first five episode and the humor is just so cheesy.

RealRT:
Meh. The 2003 cartoon wipes the floor with the rest of continuities. And bear in mind that I grew up with the 1987 cartoon. And 1987 cartoon DOES NOT apply by any of your criteria - it does NOT represent the turtles, because it's all original stories while the first live-action movie and 2003 cartoon adapt arcs from the comics and it DOES NOT hold up - the animation is horrible after the first five episode and the humor is just so cheesy.

I'm torn between '03 and the current CG Nick cartoon, both are pretty awesome on their own, but I guess I'll agree that the '03 version was the better one. While I respect the 80's cartoon, I agree that it absolutely hasn't aged well AT ALL. It's silly and entertaining for a while, but yeah... gets old pretty fast.

I am still a fan of the 1987 turtles show, I think it is a fun take on the dark comic. You have to give it props because it was able to bring in a bigger fan base than the comic could and it had some great action figures. That being said my favorite turtles show/movie as far as continuity is Turtles Forever. That is just brilliant.

Also for those who have issues with the new movie. Just do not go and see it when it comes out. If you think it is going to be bad don't pay to see how bad it is, your just feeding the money beast by doing that. My friends and I plan to see it eventually but only when it is a dollar or free.

What no Pizza Shooter !?

Great episode. Surprised there was no mention of TMNT Live Concert though.

need to check out those comics, I vaguely remember seeing them before. Action figures, original cartoon series, and original live action movies (especially the first one), were all major parts of my childhood. Along with Ghostbusters (miss my proton packs and traps) and X-men (still have a box full of those figures).

ah nostalgia

So... the original cartoon, the original comics, and the original toy line...

Anyone else picking up a distinct bias towards starry-eyed nostalgia of a particular era?

Personally I feel the 2003 series balanced the goofy and more serious elements of the turtles history quite well, and had an interesting broader continuity with characters and settings that would be periodically revisited to show how they'd progressed.

For that version to not even get a mention (slightly bonkers last season and underwhelming trip-to-the-future follow-up aside) disappoints me.

I would also like to point out that the action figure continuity also includes a cross-over with WWF stars Brutus "The Barber" Beefcake, The Ultimate Warrior, and "Rowdy" Roddy Piper.

Oh, and speaking of the last two seasons of the 2003 cartoon (namely Fast Forward and Back to the Sewer) - yeah, they are bad, but then again, 1987 series had the Red Sky seasons.

2003 series all the way. Well, the season with going to the future I kinda skipped, but the rest, awesome!

One thing to remember about the early days was the tabletop RPG that was released and based on the comic books. The moment the cartoon was released it instantly became untouchable "kids stuff" that rpg groups wouldn't touch with a 10ft pole. Yes I'm still bitter.

It's not TMNT until they throw Shredder off a roof, closely followed by a grenade.

small:
One thing to remember about the early days was the tabletop RPG that was released and based on the comic books. The moment the cartoon was released it instantly became untouchable "kids stuff" that rpg groups wouldn't touch with a 10ft pole. Yes I'm still bitter.

It's not TMNT until they throw Shredder off a roof, closely followed by a grenade.

I still have the TMNT RPG books. made for a fun, if interesting break, during AD&D 2nd Ed. That and Star Wars.

Ohh, Ninja Turtles in Star Wars! No, wait, it won't work. The action figures are different sizes. GI Joe & Star Wars works however.

Oh man. The figures. The Action figures. The memories. .....*

Holy shit! Super Shredder was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO freaking cool!

As much as I liked the cartoon/toy continuity line and the movies prior to this new abortion (ok, not fair, its just not good enough for me to poop on... I kid I kid...), I prefer the original continuity that Eastman and Laird started. I got an all-in-one collection of the first story arc of the TMNT original comics and they rocked so hardcore I found myself thinking that the TV show was just subpar compared to the comics. It was interesting to see the original movie having so many plot events ripped from that very story arc:

Seasons 1-5 of the 2003 series are easily my favourite (we don't speak of seasons 6 and 7). Loved them as a kid, rewatched them completely a year or two back and enjoyed them just as much. They did a phenomenal job of balancing genuinely funny humour, great character interplay and development and engaging/entertaining stories.

Also it had by far the best incarnation of Shredder ever. He duels with Fire Lord Ozai for my favourite western cartoon big bad.

Holy hell, I had all of those figures and hadn't thought of most of them for years.....wow.

I do like that there are so many variations on the Turtles' formula, and that many of them are at least interesting, but I think we can all agree that Michael Bay needs to be kept far away from anything we care about.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here