The Gaza Defense

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

The Gaza Defense

Pisswizard used dodge! It's super effective!

Read Full Article

I wish I had something witty for this one, but 10 people die every minute in Gaza, so I'm not allowed to be witty.

Was this inspired by the JonTron incident, or is this much more common and I don't know about it because I don't go to the dark side of the internet?

so ... it's ok now to make fun of Israelis killing Palestinians?

Ok then, since you started:
Why don't Palestinians fight back?
Because they are GUTLESS!! HAHAHA.

get it? Gutless as in "cowardly" and in having their guts ripped out by bombs!
Fun!

what an awesome idea for your comic strip ....

I'm glad that this wasn't as offensive as I was expecting. Also, I too wish Hamas would stop placing their mortars at schools and daycares and stop using children as human shields.

Aroddo:

Fun!

I think it's more accurate to say they're making fun of people using Israelis killing Palestinians as a deflection for their own shitty behavior. I really don't know how you could have come to the conclusion you came to. It wasn't a very complicated joke.

Remind me to stay as far away from Tumblr as humanly possible.

Aroddo:

Fun!

What even...

The joke was that people use atrocities as some sort of disgusting defense to deflect comments made about them, or to discard everything that isn't as horrendous as the Israeli-Palestinian conflict as being petty.

It's making fun of those people, not the conflict. I suggest that you read over the strip again and try to condition yourself against such knee-jerk reactions, as they can lead to misinterpretation and pointless anger.

Aroddo:

Fun!

I love it when people misinterpret a joke, get angry at their own misinterpretation then attack that. Righteous indignation is always the most hilarious thing when it's completely unfounded.

Aroddo:

Fun!

I don't think it's even possible to miss the point harder and more thoroughly than you just did.

(Hint: There wasn't even a joke in the traditional sense in this strip.)

So just ignore them goddamn tumblr bears. Wil do.:)

Hdawger:
Also, I too wish Hamas would stop placing their mortars at schools and daycares and stop using children as human shields.

So I guess BBC, The Guardian, The Independent, Reuters, Amnesty and Human Rights Watch saying otherwise are all on Hamas' payroll?

The strip:

Critical miss smugness to the max.

Jontron brought up the "Gaza defense" because people where pissed about him calling someone a retard (not because he insulted the person but because he used the word retard.. if he had called him a Douchebag no one would have batted an eye i bet) but not pissed about people dying in a useless conflict.

He made a remark about how SJWs get their knickers in a twist about the usage of the word "retarded" while on the other hand collectively completly ignoring what is going on down in the middle east currently because aparantly that does not fit in tumblrs repoirtoire of "bad things"

Because aparantly that type of "bad thing" is nothing to get offended about since its a completly non 1st world problem.

Yeah he handled the whole situation like a hamfisted giant in a porcelain shop but its not like he went to those people to piss all over them.. they came to him to be offended when they had the option to just no be offended for something someone said on the god damn internet.

On the Commentary below the strip:

Nearly 100 % correct kept for one thing... Tumblr is less of a bear and more of a horde of angry flies... a Bear can actually cause damage... Flies are just gross and annoying and ruin your day till they find the next dead horse to land on.

A Bear would be more akin to 4chan... and im sure tumblr knows that one from experience.

Karadalis:
Tumblr is less of a bear and more of a horde of angry flies... a Bear can actually cause damage... Flies are just gross and annoying and ruin your day till they find the next dead horse to land on.

Probably the wittiest and, in my opinion, most accurate description of tumblr I've seen so far. Kudos to you!

could have been handled in a less retarded manner. until I read the thread I thought this was implying that the Palestinians were pissing all over the place and the Israelis were politely complaining, and that's retarded.

What's really retarted about this whole language policing thing is it's trying to stop disabilities from having negative connotations, and it's going about it in a retarded way.

retarded retarded retarded.

Aroddo:

You'll have to point me to the part of the strip that says this. I think I missed that bit.

lacktheknack:

I don't think it's even possible to miss the point harder and more thoroughly than you just did.

Everyone missed the point, they were insulting the bears. Look, I know bears will maul you to death, but they don't actively hunt for people. As long as you keep your distance and have no reason for them to come after you (like if you have a picnic basket) then you are good to go. Hmmm, maybe the bear analogy works in a way, but it's still insulting to the bear.

canadamus_prime:

It will save you a LOT of pain...

I joined Tumblr about a year ago (in my defense I knew nothing about it at the time and it looked like pretty cool blogging site... my god I was wrong) and at first its a nice experience. Find some blogs you like to follow, see some cool and funny stuff, learn a thing here and there, and meet some cool people.

This will last about 2 months, then all the bullshit, hypocrisy, legitimately mentally unstable people, social justice warriors (the WORST kind that confirm the stereotype), stubborn ignorance and intolerance bubbles up and you lose faith in humanity repeatedly.

Learn from my mistakes. Stay away from that site. ITS TOO LATE FOR ME! SAAAAVE YOURSEEEELVES!

Super Cyborg:

lacktheknack:

Everyone missed the point, they were insulting the bears. Look, I know bears will maul you to death, but they don't actively hunt for people. As long as you keep your distance and have no reason for them to come after you (like if you have a picnic basket) then you are good to go. Hmmm, maybe the bear analogy works in a way, but it's still insulting to the bear.

You have no idea how much I want to link the "Bear Force One" video right now.

Valkrex:

canadamus_prime:

I joined Tumblr about a year ago (in my defense I knew nothing about it at the time and it looked like pretty cool blogging site... my god I was wrong) and at first its a nice experience. Find some blogs you like to follow, see some cool and funny stuff, learn a thing here and there, and meet some cool people.

This will last about 2 months, then all the bullshit, hypocrisy, legitimately mentally unstable people, social justice warriors (the WORST kind that confirm the stereotype), stubborn ignorance and intolerance bubbles up and you lose faith in humanity repeatedly.

Learn from my mistakes. Stay away from that site. ITS TOO LATE FOR ME! SAAAAVE YOURSEEEELVES!

That almost happened to me... but then I stopped following that person. (I had followed them for space related reasons, and they started going on about ... something. Something Non-Space related. So off they went.

I wonder if there is a #rant tag on Tumblr...

The comic - if it was to give a more accurate portrayal of Tumblr idiocy, should also had the guy being happy that it was probably mainly white cisgendered people getting killed...

Demagogue:

Valkrex:

canadamus_prime:

That almost happened to me... but then I stopped following that person. (I had followed them for space related reasons, and they started going on about ... something. Something Non-Space related. So off they went.

I wonder if there is a #rant tag on Tumblr...

I believe there is, but the dumb part about this site is, in my experience, even when you unfollow those people the drama and bullshit ALWAYS finds a way onto my dash no matter who I unfollow or how many tags I block. Its rather irritating and the only reason I haven't left the site yet is because of a few REALLY funny blogs and a couple of close friends.

Also relevant video:

webkilla:
The comic - if it was to give a more accurate portrayal of Tumblr idiocy, should also had the guy being happy that it was probably mainly white cisgendered people getting killed...

Please tell me more about how apparently only white people live in Gaza.

And once again all of Tumblr is lumped together as some kind of hivemind. Come on, we're not all raving douchebags. I run a gaming blog, I follow other gaming blogs, and some various other fandom blogs. I never saw any of the 4chan/SJW war bullshit on my dash once while it was happening, and I haven't seen any of this JonTron bullshit either. Stop placing all the good people with the few loud idiots.

Kungfu_Teddybear:
And once again all of Tumblr is lumped together as some kind of hivemind. Come on, we're not all raving douchebags. I run a gaming blog, I follow other gaming blogs, and some various other fandom blogs. I never saw any of the 4chan/SJW war bullshit on my dash once while it was happening, and I haven't seen any of this JonTron bullshit either. Stop placing all the good people with the few loud idiots.

Frankly I've seen this kind of defense on this website plenty of times...from people taking a stand AGAINST "SJWs". They mainly say things like "Women are getting raped in the middle east and you care about how they look in video games?" And then people come over here and say how awful tumblr is when plenty of people do it on this site.

People only see what they want to see. For them, evidence is just to support conclusions they've already reached.

If I did not have the context of JonTron being a fucking idiot (by pulling the Gaza Defense) I'd assume it is in context of something that happened here on the Escapist where the Gaza defense seems to be the favorite way of people to try and shut up discussion / discredit people they feel uncomfortable about.

erttheking:

Kungfu_Teddybear:

Frankly I've seen this kind of defense on this website plenty of times...from people taking a stand AGAINST "SJWs". They mainly say things like "Women are getting raped in the middle east and you care about how they look in video games?" And then people come over here and say how awful tumblr is when plenty of people do it on this site.

People only see what they want to see.

I'm not even standing against SJW's or siding with them. I'm literally just staying the fuck away from them. Like I said, I only follow other gaming blogs and maybe a few fandom blogs like an Elementary exclusive blog or some such. I don't see any of that SJW crap on my dash or any of these big arguments between femenists and all that other stuff. Just games and TV shows/movies I like. If you know how, you can easily avoid the bad parts of Tumblr, just like on any website.

Kungfu_Teddybear:

erttheking:

Kungfu_Teddybear:

People only see what they want to see.

I'm not even standing against SJW's or siding with them. I'm literally just staying the fuck away from them. Like I said, I only follow other gaming blogs and maybe a few fandom blogs like an Elementary exclusive blog or some such. I don't see any of that SJW crap on my dash or any of these big arguments between femenists and all that other stuff. Just games and TV shows/movies I like. If you know how, you can easily avoid the bad parts of Tumblr, just like on any website.

I'm just saying that quite a few people are being hypocrites. That's all.

I find this incredibly distasteful. At least 1300 people have died since this strip was written. How the fuck is anyone supposed to find that funny?

You could have changed it to some unspecific tragedy for the comic. It would have have felt less insulting and prevented it from becoming instantly dated.

Mcoffey:

I think it's more accurate to say they're making fun of people using Israelis killing Palestinians as a deflection for their own shitty behavior.

/Thread

OT: Guys, it's important to remember #NotAllTumblr

But now I really would like to see pictures of the Tumblr Bear.

Yeah, no.

He used the word "retarded" (gasp!), and Tumblr's response was not to calmly point out the fact that some people might be offended.

He could certainly have phrased his "shut up and focus your attention on something that matters" defense a bit more eloquently (especially considering the fact that he is famous for being a youtuber, the all-time go-to example of wasting time on pointless bullshit), but you know what? He's right.

erttheking:

webkilla:

Caucasian then.

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/236x/c9/e3/c4/c9e3c42d7de8f396a45e73af7a7a52ed.jpg
http://i.images.cdn.fotopedia.com/khellon-1p9n90iQDz0-hd/People_around_the_World/Asia/Turkey/Turkish_Man_Alanya_Market.jpg
- turkish men

http://www.imemc.org/attachments/jan2012/majdeabughazala_copy.jpg
- a palestinian guy

I'd call 'em white. I've seen greeks a darker skincolor.

heck, the origin of the term caucasian comes from a region known as Caucasus. Try finding that on google maps, then poke around and find some pictures of the locals there. My point is that caucasians, IE white people, is more than just pasty scandinavians and british people.

webkilla:

erttheking:

webkilla:

Caucasian then.

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/236x/c9/e3/c4/c9e3c42d7de8f396a45e73af7a7a52ed.jpg
http://i.images.cdn.fotopedia.com/khellon-1p9n90iQDz0-hd/People_around_the_World/Asia/Turkey/Turkish_Man_Alanya_Market.jpg
- turkish men

http://www.imemc.org/attachments/jan2012/majdeabughazala_copy.jpg
- a palestinian guy

I'd call 'em white. I've seen greeks a darker skincolor.

heck, the origin of the term caucasian comes from a region known as Caucasus. Try finding that on google maps, then poke around and find some pictures of the locals there. My point is that caucasians, IE white people, is more than just pasty scandinavians and british people.

So Giza is populated exclusively by Caucasians? I have to say I wasn't away of this.

Valkrex:
[quote="Demagogue" post="6.857532.21250431"]

Also relevant video:

The existence of the "Super-who-lock," fandom is something that still baffles me. Apparently they made up a large portion of the individuals who attended DASH con.

It's comforting, really. Whenever I have days where I feel I'm wasting my life away on the internet, I just think of this and realize it could be much, much worse.

Hdawger:
Also, I too wish Hamas would stop placing their mortars at schools and daycares and stop using children as human shields.

It would have been better to wish for Hamas to not provoke Israel to begin with.

But nope, sent in the rockets and were caught digging tunnels beneath the border. And because of that everyone in Gaza is paying for it.

Disclaimer: I do recognise Israels actions in Gaza to be indiscriminate and disproportionate. However i dont expect them to simply let Hamas keep launching rockets and keep digging thier tunnels.

I'm genuinely amazed nearly everyone here somehow missed the JonTron Twitter fallout.

To be frank, I'm with JonTron on this one. He used the word "retarded" and the backlash was unbelievably fervent because he said a word. You'd think he dug up their dog and fucked it on their porch with how goddamn upset people were getting.

When he used the "gaza defense" I'm pretty sure he intended to highlight that him saying a word on Twitter is probably not worth literally losing sleep over so you can stay up and tell him he's basically internet Hitler.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here