Miracle of Sound: Cataclysm (Destiny Song)

I already heard it on Bandcamp, but great song as always. It really captures the epicness Bungie seems to be aiming for.

I do think this is the first time I feel the song works better without the game footage, but that might just be because most of the footage available is of gameplay.

Wow that was really bad.
And I don't get it, usually Miracle of Sounds is at least memorable. That was so generic, drying white paint is interesting compared.

Another knockout track Gav, loving it! I dabbled with the Destiny Beta for PS3, a excellent Halo/Borderlands hybrid. I feel like you've captured the world and feel of it excellently in this track, I could see myself blasting away enemies with this turned up loud.

I do love your more "epic" tracks, keep up the great work!

EDIT: Heading over to Bandcamp to grab this right now :D

Awesome song! It does really have an epic feel to it.

Is it weird that this song sold me on the game far more than the beta ever did?
Also I get a bit of old sci-fi music inspiration on the beginning and a bit on the end, I like a lot.

Awesome song Gav. I wish I liked these kinds of games more. The setting seems really cool, and the lore really interesting, but when I played the Alpha I felt like I'd already played the entire game. Just going to places and shooting the dudes that happened to be there while Tyrion feeds me lore.

Great song! Haven't been able to stop humming it! Also have to say this is one of the best videos you've done for a song! Really, really cool, makes me miss the beta!

Silentpony:
Wow that was really bad.
And I don't get it, usually Miracle of Sounds is at least memorable. That was so generic, drying white paint is interesting compared.

Hi Silentpony, if you're going to criticise something, let me give you a few pointers. Right now your comment is just coming across as meaningless, whiney drivel. You must add more to the 'bad' and 'generic' description in order for people to take your criticism seriously.

For example... In which areas exactly did you feel the song was lacking quality? And how would you suggest it be improved? Which genre did you feel it fit too generically into and why is it you feel something being generic is inherently a negative, given that many of the all time great songs are ones that fit very specifically into a very narrow genre style?

Good luck with your answer! I know you can do better this time :) 

Drummodino:
Another knockout track Gav, loving it! I dabbled with the Destiny Beta for PS3, a excellent Halo/Borderlands hybrid. I feel like you've captured the world and feel of it excellently in this track, I could see myself blasting away enemies with this turned up loud.

I do love your more "epic" tracks, keep up the great work!

EDIT: Heading over to Bandcamp to grab this right now :D

Thanks for supporting! :)

As for the epic songs, yeah they're really fun to make although tricky to mix.

rednightmare:
I already heard it on Bandcamp, but great song as always. It really captures the epicness Bungie seems to be aiming for.

I do think this is the first time I feel the song works better without the game footage, but that might just be because most of the footage available is of gameplay.

Yeah the available game footage is quite limited at this point, particularly in the 'epic cutscene' department but Paul did a great job with what was there :)

Diablo2000:
Is it weird that this song sold me on the game far more than the beta ever did?
Also I get a bit of old sci-fi music inspiration on the beginning and a bit on the end, I like a lot.

yeah, the Destiny OST gave me that feeling too so I just took a teeny tiny part of it for the song :)

MiracleOfSound:

Silentpony:
Wow that was really bad.

Hi Silentpony, if you're going to criticise something, let me give you a few pointers. Right now your comment is just coming across as meaningless, whiney drivel. You must add more to the 'bad' and 'generic' description in order for people to take your criticism seriously.

For example... In which areas exactly did you feel the song was lacking quality? And how would you suggest it be improved? Which genre did you feel it fit too generically into and why is it you feel something being generic is inherently a negative, given that many of the all time great songs are ones that fit very specifically into a very narrow genre style?

Good luck with your answer! I know you can do better this time :) 

Okay so let me try to explain my thought process. I love songs like Wake the White Wolf or the Commander Shepard song and others. Now all the songs are inherently derivative, and not in a bad way. They're very clearly trying to evoke the feelings/emotions/memories of a certain game. Trip To Vegas is clearly supposed to make me think Fallout: New Vegas. And when the song is original and referential, its fun and quirky. That the shtick.

With this new Destiny song...

First off, Destiny is very clearly trying to be Halo. And for whatever reason Bungie named the game Destiny instead of Halo: The Forever Wars.

Secondly have you ever watched the Simpsons, or Family Guy or read a comic? And within the episode/issue, the writers want to reference an IRL social entity, like a company or a video game. But for copyright reasons, given that the writers want to portray the entity in a negative light, they can't use the IRL name. So instead of Apple, the Simpsons use Mapple. Instead of My Little Pony, the Teen Titans comic uses Pretty Pretty Pony Princess. Instead of Samuel Adams, Family Guy uses Pawtucket Patriot beer. Get it?

This song feels like what the Simpsons would write if they wanted to parody Halo, but couldn't use the name itself. Granted that's not your fault as the game should never have been called Destiny, but the whole thing feels like a knock-off. Destiny wants to be Halo and this song wants to be a Halo theme, but neither can use the name Halo, so the end result just feels like a cartoon parody.

That make a little more sense?

Oh, this was really enjoyable. Loved how you used the choir, sent shivers down my spine each time and I love when a song does that!
And the double bass near the end really carried the epic feel of the song, so it managed to complete the dramatic arc, not ending up spinning it's wheels at any point. Great work!

This might come across as me calling you a rip-off or some such nonsense, but this song is just beautifully... Townsendian. There's something about the bouncy heaviness of the riff with the choir and the great flow to the lyrics that Devin always manages to nail, and that until now I've never felt that anyone else has been able to equal.

Great stuff, Gav, as always.

jurnag12:
This might come across as me calling you a rip-off or some such nonsense, but this song is just beautifully... Townsendian. There's something about the bouncy heaviness of the riff with the choir and the great flow to the lyrics that Devin always manages to nail, and that until now I've never felt that anyone else has been able to equal.

Great stuff, Gav, as always.

Devin & Nightwish were the big influences on this one :)

I pretty much live on Dev's stuff so yeah it's bound to creep into mine :D

Silentpony:

That make a little more sense?

Much better ;)

I really liked this. It is a major change from the mostly somber music you hear in the game itself. Aside from that I really got a Bad Religion vibe from this song, did anyone else hear that?

This is the best thing I have ever heard. Not just the best Miracle of Sound I've ever heard, this is my new favorite song of all time. I'm going to go buy this right now.

Was really surprised you uploaded this here after I heard it on youtube, its really not one of your better songs (judging by many of the other responses, maybe its just me). I'm no musician, so I can't really put my finger on exactly what does it. "generic" came up before and fits kind of nicely. There is no memorable moment in the song. Nothing stuck with me after I finished listening to it. I haven't played Destiny myself, but a friend of mine said the tone of the song clashes quite badly with the tone of the game.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here