Jimquisition: Rise Of The Exclusivity Wars

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Rise Of The Exclusivity Wars

The Rise of the Tomb Raider news confirmed one thing - this war over exclusivity is going to make the game industry an everso slightly worse thing. Yes, something else to do that, now.

Watch Video

Oh my God! Jim, stop predicting horrible things!

If Jim keeps making these predictions I'm pretty sure every big publisher is going to explode into burning money come year's end.

I find it weird that the only financial point on Rise of the Tomb Raider's exclusivity in this video came in the form of "the previous game sold more on the PS4". Tomb Raider 2013 took seven million sales to become profitable, the Xbox One doesn't even have seven million households with one inside yet. Then again, it's obviously a timed exclusive so oh well.

I do win a little bit when it comes to these "exclusives" I lose any interest in the game and eventually pick it up when the price has fallen or Steam puts the game on sale.

Jim is the father. Jim is the son. But BUG PRINCESS is the holy spirit!

See, I do wish more companies took the approach Nintendo did with Bayonetta 2 and Devil's Third. Take a game in an odd situation and fund it. You know... actually be a publisher and publish something. Sure, it won't be as big or as glamorous as securing the new Tomb Raider game for a few months, but I'm sure it'd make headlines if someone decided to fund Psychonauts 2...

Jim, I really didn't mind you doing over and over again the "Thank God for me", but your ego is getting so big that it might overshadow EA's greed. Do you see how *****ed up that is?! Tune it down a bit, ol' boy, tune it down!

Well here's my question: If Tomb Raider, or hell, ANY game is sold on preorder as 'exclusive', and then later released for another system, shouldn't Microsoft or Sony(whichever you bought from) refund the difference? If I bought TitanFall on preorder form $80, operating under the idea its an Xbone exclusive, then 6 months later it comes out for Steam at $50, shouldn't I get my $30 'exclusive' service fee back?!

Also Jim, two things: Stop predicting bad things mate! And second, at this point why not just thank yourself for you? Its fairly clear you're approaching godhood. Might as well get that cult started...

Jim we need you to use your powers for good. Announce EA's dissolving and Visceral coming back as a small-time publisher with Dead Space's rights, and they proudly announce a continuation of the series.

It is your destiny to do this.

RJ Dalton:
Oh my God! Jim, stop predicting horrible things!

He wouldn't have to, if they weren't predictions of madmen that are to madmen. This even stops being economically suicidal. What are game publishers & developers without their loyal customers after they alienate them?

I cannot control the visions that come to me. Such is my blessing, and my curse.

Deathfish15:
Jim, I really didn't mind you doing over and over again the "Thank God for me", but your ego is getting so big that it might overshadow EA's greed. Do you see how *****ed up that is?! Tune it down a bit, ol' boy, tune it down!

It's his persona which feeds on the greed and stupidity of the game industry, and we like him like that.

Pretty shitty deal here, reminds me of Bethesda holding back it's PS3 releases for it's Fallout and Elder Scrolls expansions at the behest of Microsoft. At least this'll come out latter on PC, maybe? Then you can hook up a PlayStation controller and pretend you're playing it on that console.

Will you be wanting warm goose fat for that wank sire or should I make some gravy?

OT: Still just enjoying my 3DS over here, you guys and gals are welcome to join me.

I see nothing wrong in the Tech Demo part... I like those things!

Id say good on all other counts though. Good job Jim.
And stop predicting! Its obvious you are bringing this on us :D ! :D
*Grabs pitchfork*

How was the wank?

On the bright side, Rise of the Tomb Raider being not-so-exclusive does mean that PC and Playstation users get to see if the game is crap or insanely buggy long before they ever spend their $60 on it.

So thanks for that, Microsoft.

Imagine, for a minute, the reaction if any other industry tried this shit. How about the film industry. What if a cinema chain reached out to Marvel and said "if you airbrush Black Widow out of Avengers 2 for everyone else, so that we have the exclusive version of the movie, we'll give you some cash"? That shit would not fly. Or what if DVDs worked that way? "Want to watch Guardians of the Galaxy? Your DVD player better be manufactured by Sony, it won't work on competitors' players!" Or what if auto manufacturers started abusing the adopt-a-highway program and only let people driving their brand of cars drive on "their" roads? Or, what if Apple made a deal with Pizza Hut that says you can only order delivery if you call on an iPhone? Somehow, I don't think that would go over very well.

Hey guys, remember when the last Tomb Raider came out for consoles and then it came out for PC, and the PC version was so much better that it had to be brought back to consoles as the 'Definitive Edition'?

Not sure why I'm bringing that up, just popped into my head I guess.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'll be polishing my 'Glorious PC Gaming Master Race' tower case in anticipation of the inevitable superior version that will be coming.

That kind of dickery is not really new, isnīt it ?
More than 10 Years ago, Microsoft wrapped their greasy fingers around Halo, that was originaly scheduled for a realease on PC and made it an exclusive title for their first X-Box.

I have been looking forward to this particular topic from you Jim and you never disappoint!

Thank God for you indeed!

Since we have another advertised Tomb Raider game coming out, let's definitely not pretend this is the only way Rise was getting made.

Also, corporations are supposed to make money. This is true. We're supposed to want stuff for the money. We're supposed to care about our own desires.

It's always been such a stupid argument. Why should I think about it from or care about their side? They want my money. They should damn well earn it.

However, I will gladly put myself in Jim's hands.

Silentpony:
Well here's my question: If Tomb Raider, or hell, ANY game is sold on preorder as 'exclusive', and then later released for another system, shouldn't Microsoft or Sony(whichever you bought from) refund the difference? If I bought TitanFall on preorder form $80, operating under the idea its an Xbone exclusive, then 6 months later it comes out for Steam at $50, shouldn't I get my $30 'exclusive' service fee back?!

Also Jim, two things: Stop predicting bad things mate! And second, at this point why not just thank yourself for you? Its fairly clear you're approaching godhood. Might as well get that cult started...

It was pretty clear that Titanfall was released on Pc too. It released on Pc the same day as the xbox version, not 6 months later, so that you thought that it was an xbone exclusive was a bit you fault.
Then again they always spoke of Titanfall as THE XBOX EXCLUSIVE ... on consoles
in the hope that people fall for it and think it's really exclusive to xbone.

I have a solution for the current state of exclusivity: If a publisher excludes you with their wallets, exclude them from yours.

Well I'm convinced.

*Begins carving stone statue of Jim*

All hail the prophet!!!!

DataSnake:
Or what if DVDs worked that way? "Want to watch Guardians of the Galaxy? Your DVD player better be manufactured by Sony, it won't work on competitors' players!"

They would if they could. I'd also note that you've had content exclusive to certain retailers dating back to before Gamestop was a megalithic corporation.

Or what if auto manufacturers started abusing the adopt-a-highway program and only let people driving their brand of cars drive on "their" roads?

That would be far worse, but auto manufacturers already have parts in place that either you deal through them or features are locked out (such as with your audio devices).

Or, what if Apple made a deal with Pizza Hut that says you can only order delivery if you call on an iPhone? Somehow, I don't think that would go over very well.

I'd love to see the backlash.

O was very eega to see Jim's take on this. After watching RTU and Boogie2988 make videos about this I was interested to hear Jim's side. I'm a PC gamer myself and don't really care for Tomb Raider but I thought this was a great video for putting into context just about everything wrong with exclusivity.

Microsoft has always been about buying out the competition instead of competing themselves but it's good to see their not getting away with it like they used to.

this was the first I'd heard of the RE reboot.

Wasn't six also billed as a reboot initially?

I'll believe it when it comes out.

-edit-

Seems I was confused, just googled it and they're remaking the gamecube remake not rebooting the series, nvm then.

ErwinGodfrey:
Pretty shitty deal here, reminds me of Bethesda holding back it's PS3 releases for it's Fallout and Elder Scrolls expansions at the behest of Microsoft. At least this'll come out latter on PC, maybe? Then you can hook up a PlayStation controller and pretend you're playing it on that console.

This wasn't held back for Exclusive reasons it was held back because the PS3 Didn't work well with Bethesda's poor coding. See dragons flying backward on Ps3's skyrim launch or mod managers for the PC versions coming up with scripting errors and poor scripting warnings on "The base game"

Anyway I can't think of any Triple A title that was long running that would go "Exclusive" My thoughts say this is probably going to be just a rushed together job using basically all the same assets and stuff as the last game.

Is it just me or does it look like Enix is modelling Lara off of The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo?

This exclusivity wars thing is why I'm mostly sticking with Nintendo as of late. At least for them there is a good honest reason, like the Bayonetta 2 one Jim mentions, why their games are exclusive. The only other games I have bought for a non-Nintendo platform are PC only or JRPGs for the PS3 or Vita.

After being an avid video game enthusiast all my life, I'm now almost disinterested with actually playing the games they put out now, all for the reasons Jim shines a light on. Carving up content/dlc/lack of support...It may not be the death of an industry, but it essentially is over for me. 10 years ago I would have lined up day one to get either of these new consoles. Now, when I have the money to spend, I don't even care to do so. The industry is focused and preoccupied with the wrong things. Making enjoyable experiences is secondary.
Depressing.

Jimothy Sterling:
I cannot control the visions that come to me. Such is my blessing, and my curse.

Should we start calling you St.Jimmy?

The Artificially Prolonged:
Well I'm convinced.

*Begins carving stone statue of Jim*

All hail the prophet!!!!

And thus, the Church of Sterlingology was born.

The thing about the whole Tomb Raider thing that gets me is that even though I liked the Tomb Raider reboot, one of my favourite games of last year. It doesn't scream "system seller" to me. A system seller to me is Zelda or Uncharted. Even if this was not a timed exclusive and it was stuck on the Xbone then I would think "that's a shame" and get on with my life. It would not make me want to buy a Xbox 1 and I'm sure that there are many many people out there that feel the same way as me.

daxterx2005:
this was the first I'd heard of the RE reboot.

Wasn't six also billed as a reboot initially?

I'll believe it when it comes out.

it's not a reboot it's an upscaled version of resident evil 1 that was released on the Gamecube way back when, which means hopefully they'll also port the awesome awesomness that is Resident evil Zero

OT:
It's amazing how corporate money always seems to speak louder than customer money, I'll not pretend I was going to buy Rise of the tomb raider at launch but I probably would have picked it up eventually. would have, not now, not unless it comes with an exclusive day with one Jim Sterling.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here