Holiday Gift Guide 2014 - What Should You Buy/Ask For This Year?

Holiday Gift Guide 2014 - What Should You Buy/Ask For This Year?

Check out what gifts to grab for the geeky person in your life this Holiday season.

Read Full Article

That Rubber Band Machine Gun looks just like a Hellsing from the Metro series. Makes you wonder.

On what basis are these items recommended? Would be nice if we could get a disclosure if any of that was sponsored. Just curious, you probably just thought these were cool things to show but with that whole kerfuffle of the last months going on I'd really like to know if it was sponsored :)

Otherwise, some very interesting stuff among that. Now I kind of want a Plushthulu... but it'd only collect dust... and no small children in the extended family to teach it R'lyehian in its sleep. :(

I already got one of my Christmas gifts this year a month early as my boss FINALLY decided to let me have the like new cocktail table Ms Pacman machine that he has had sitting in his garage not being used for as long as I've known him. I've offered to buy the damn thing from him more times than I can count but he finally decided to just let me have it and call it my Christmas present. Sure as hell beats the Roomba he got me last year.

Hopefully it doesn't take me another decade to find a damn Baby Pacman machine to put next to it. I want a Baby Pacman machine SO bad. Almost as badly as I want either of the two Gottlieb Super Mario Bros pinball tables.

An okay selection and I did enjoy the "lottery" part. One thing I would say is that recommending The Walking Dead game that was originally based on a comic in the Film and TV section, when there's a section for both games and comics above and below is a tad nonsensical.

rofltehcat:
On what basis are these items recommended? Would be nice if we could get a disclosure if any of that was sponsored. Just curious, you probably just thought these were cool things to show but with that whole kerfuffle of the last months going on I'd really like to know if it was sponsored :)

Well, it looks like they're using affiliate links - they get money every time something is bought using that link - which some people might have a problem with. Personally, I don't mind them so long as they're disclosed. Besides that though, I think everything's fine. Maybe the 2K disclosure they usually do, since Borderlands: TPS is there, but that's just looking for stuff to complain about at that point =P

Congradulations. pages and pages of "suggestions" with only 2-3 things that caught my eye, that will be bought from the company and not from links. it's seriously always amusing seeing companies come up with "suggested holiday guides"......'s always mostly either things you've never heard of or things you'll never get......and maybe one or two actual good things.

You can't go wrong with a Cthulhu plush. Everybody loves Cthulhu!

i can certainly recommend the G510 mouse. having it my self and i sure enjoy it. adjusting it to your surface really feels different.

still considering about the keyboard though. but i sure have to get alien isolation.

The reviews for that 105" tv are some of the best amazon reviews I've read in awhile.

This list was kinda bleh. Except for most of the items in the Comics and Movies/TV section, much of this list seems to be corporate sponsors trying less to get word of a product's existence out and more trying to offload old stock using the holidays as a tool to do so. I'm pretty sure I've seen that same Tardis cookie jar years ago. The books (and maybe the sound bar) are the only things that belong in the Science and Tech tab. Where are the flying drones, ipod docks shaped like Daleks, or Wifi cameras with Nerf launchers?

Mike_Kocsis:
The reviews for that 105" tv are some of the best amazon reviews I've read in awhile.

Once again, overpriced crap for pretentious rich people makes for the best online reviews. Though, five pages in and I still haven't found a mention of the necessary $1,000-$15,000 HDMI cables to go with such an awesome TV set. I am disappoint.

What? No love for the Intellivision Flashback?

Some pretty neat items on these lists, but I sure hope you at least got paid to make those keyboard, mouse and headset recommendations, because there is waaay better stuff out there.

dont bother with the mouse i have one and the software for it is totally borked i have spent hours and hours trying to get it to work so now im stuck with a half functional mouse its a great mouse if you are happy with 3 buttons and a scroll wheel

on the other hand the Dr Who biscuit jar looks really cool

Andy Shandy:
An okay selection and I did enjoy the "lottery" part. One thing I would say is that recommending The Walking Dead game that was originally based on a comic in the Film and TV section, when there's a section for both games and comics above and below is a tad nonsensical.

The whole Film and TV section was rather nonsensical, given that only 4/10 items actually belonged in it. Books, games, Lego sets and cookie jars are not films or TV shows.

Slegiar Dryke:
it's seriously always amusing seeing companies come up with "suggested holiday guides"......'s always mostly either things you've never heard of or things you'll never get......and maybe one or two actual good things.

You do realise that's kind of the point, right? Listing a bunch of stuff that you already know about and have already decided you want would be completely pointless.

The factoid for Pre-sequel is incorrect. The term 'Joy Puke' first appeared in the Borderlands 2 'Doomsday' preview video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VW7qO_wpfvk

I would need to check to see if the term was actually ever used in any of the Pre-sequels preview videos.

Oooooh, do you have any information about the X-COM board game being out in time for christmas? I pre-ordered that for my brother, and on FFG's website it's still marked as "on the boat", i. e. on its way from the manufacturer to FFG'S warehouse...

Hmm, page 4... #1, #3, and #7 already have. Need more of 1 though (planning about 4 pounds worth next month, already have 4 pounds worth).

#3, well it's been a long time since i was excited about D&D... since just after i finished college in 93. I mostly moved on to generic point buy systems. Now if only the Hoard of the Dragon Queen and Rise of Tiamat books had had four or five more editing passes.

#7. Haven't played it yet, but it looks good. Got it to demo at an unfortunately now ULGS.

Is the Retron actually good? I've heard it had some dubious compatibility issues, which would kind of suck the fun out of the 'play all your old games' thing.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here