Game Theory: How PewDiePie Conquered YouTube

Pages 1 2 NEXT

How PewDiePie Conquered YouTube

Soon, PewDiePie will have the most subscribed channel on YouTube. But how did PewDiePie, the Baron of Brofist, skyrocket to the top of the YouTube charts so quickly. And what does Pewdie's record-setting rise mean for gamers on YouTube in general?

Watch Video

How is this guy so popular? It's like some retard with no social skills thinking they're funny.

flarty:
How is this guy so popular?

People find him funny.

Bedinsis:

flarty:
How is this guy so popular?

People find him funny.

Kids. youtube is full of kids. i don't know anyone of my age group who tolerates him for more than 10 seconds.

They hacked and shut Boxy down so fast back in the day. Why didn't they do the same with PewDewPie?

I remember clicking on one of his videos years ago and I just couldn't get past the first minute. I thought there was no way this guy was going to get anywhere. It has to be a bunch of kids watching his stuff.

Honestly, what's wrong with Kids liking him a lot?
You don't like him? good for you. But acting like he doesn't deserve it makes you look like a child throwing a tantrum.

What if EpicMealTime was the #1 Channel in Youtube? What's your complaint for this? Fat people? lol

How it is pronounced? Pew Dee Pie, or Pew Dye Pie? It's probably covered in the video, but I haven't watched that (yet?)

Have no idea why he is such a success, have tried to watch a few of his vids but they were terrible. But still, good on him though, must be doing some right.

Baffle:
How it is pronounced? Pew Dee Pie, or Pew Dye Pie? It's probably covered in the video, but I haven't watched that (yet?)

Pew (as in when kids play with guns) Die (as in the word die) Pie (like pie).

OT: I honestly don't get why people dislike Pewdiepie so much. I think that whether or not you like him depends on taste + getting used to how he is, I'll easily admit that he's not someone to watch if you want a serious outlook on a game, but he's surprisingly charming and amusing in his own way. Some people get used to it and enjoy it, some don't. I started watching him because my cousin showed me a couple of his videos and I thought he was funny (back before he got super-famous), and kept up with him because he's amusing, as well as a great guy. Bit thoughtless with what he says sometimes, though, but he's not "the youtube plague" itself like some seem to think.

I was... let's see, probably 17 when I started watching him, not a kid and certainly not fond of childish stuff, I liked him because he felt like someone who was just messing around, and he's stayed like that, if matured quite a lot as well.

Also watched this way back, seeing as I'm also subbed to the Game Theorists on Youtube. :P

Kaimax:
You don't like him? good for you. But acting like he doesn't deserve it makes you look like a child throwing a tantrum.

What if EpicMealTime was the #1 Channel in Youtube? What's your complaint for this? Fat people? lol

Justin Bieber is the best lol, if you dont like him but like Led Zeppelin you are like a child throwing a tantrum......lol.

Baffle:

Felix himself pronounces it "Pew-dee-pie." Say the first two syllables as if they were one word: pewdy-pie.

I'm 30-ish, and I enjoy many of his videos. I enjoyed his earlier horror stuff 'cause he's either really good at faking fear/surprise or he honestly feels it, either way, I get a good laugh. He's also pretty funny in a weird, eccentric sort of way outside of his gaming videos. You might dismiss some of his stuff as "just begging for attention" but he's already got millions of subscribers. He doesn't need to beg anymore and he knows it. He does it for the laughs.

Plus he's an honestly good guy. His non-comedy stuff shows how much he likes people and his pets and his girlfriend. He loves the work he does and he has tried to give something back by working with charities.

So yeah, I roll my eyes when I see someone say they hate Pewdiepie, because we both know you really envy his popularity and success. You do. Just admit it. Even Jim Sterling is not immune to it as he denounces "YouTube fodder" and "Pewdiebait" on the Jimquisition yet gluts his own YouTube channel with videos and shamelessly plugs the channel every chance he gets. It's okay to be envious, guys.

Brofist.

SnakeoilSage:
[quote="Baffle" post="6.858580.21292102"]
So yeah, I roll my eyes when I see someone say they hate Pewdiepie, because we both know you really envy his popularity and success. You do. Just admit it. Even Jim Sterling is not immune to it as he denounces "YouTube fodder" and "Pewdiebait" on the Jimquisition yet gluts his own YouTube channel with videos and shamelessly plugs the channel every chance he gets. It's okay to be envious, guys.

I thought pewdie bait or youtube fodder meant to be more for games, rather than the guy itself. And if anything, maybe people hate him like a symbol, like phil fish? Whatever the case, I don't think he intended to slander pewds but the games made with the purpose of getting on youtube.

As for me, I don't watch him. I don't think I could stand the kind of content he puts out.

I've heard his name because some people won't shut up about him, but I've never felt sufficiently interested to actually watch anything he produces.

He is a very pleasant guy and I like his general attitude.
His shrieking is rather grating, so his content is not exactly my cup-of-tea. But I can understand and appreciate his appeal. :)

Amazing how 4Chan hasn't 4Chan'd PewDiePie yet.
I mean, here you have ProtonJon, who not only explains the mechanics of Superman 64, uses them to his advantage, but he also points out glitches, gives out background information on the production of the game and the DC show it was based off of, all in a professional and entertaining way. AVGN does it by telling his personal history of the game through the lenses of an 80's Nintendo kid that allows his content to serve as retrospect; crude retrospect, but retrospect nonetheless. Then you have PewDiePie who speaks and acts like a kid. He donates to charity? Fine, good, but to me that only feels like a consolation prize for having his shoddy, unpolished content near/at the top of the LP popularity pyramid. I choose to look at content that goes into the heart of the actual game.

You know, I never even heard about him until I got into the Slenderman mythos. Same way I didn't know about Totalbiscuit or Tobuscus (Probably not even spelling that right). I guess it's because I don't follow those communities so I don't hear the "word of mouth".

I've watched a few of his things and I find him kind of annoying. Mostly because he just spouts his chosen few catchphrases over and over.

Very interesting! I never knew about that Youtube change in 2012, but it does explain some things I've been noticing.

PewDiePie's popularity got me curious at one point, so I decided try and understand why by occasionally watching a bit of his stuff. While I had never really enjoyed the videos where he played horror games (because I found his loud screaming after jumpscares unpleasant - especially when he was using a cheap mic), some of his Happy Wheels compilations actually got genuinely laughs out of me several times for his tomfoolery. And when he plays a recently released interesting looking or AAA game or just a game that I enjoyed (like Dark Souls for example), I was actually entertained watching him (or at least I didn't really mind his commentary while taking in the game footage). Also, he actually edits out the boring bits thereby saving me time, as opposed to some of the other Let's Players I'd been used.

It's a hit-and-miss for me, but since he produces so much content, there are still bound to be relatively many hits (at least for me). ...Or something like that. And when he gets to play games before release, his videos are also a nice method to get acquainted with a new game without spending money. And I guess PewDiePie genuinely has fun while on camera and you can tell, and it's kinda contagious sometimes.

Guy from the 80's:

Kaimax:

Justin Bieber is the best lol, if you dont like him but like Led Zeppelin you are like a child throwing a tantrum......lol.

Wait... what? You mean it's wrong to like one thing but hate another related thing? Let me put into your own words for a second:

Pizza is the best lol, if you dont like it but like Broccoli you are like a child throwing a tantrum......lol.

See? It sounds insane when you compare two musicians (Justin Bieber and Led Zeppelin) together. Just because they are related through music does not mean that a person hating Justin Bieber hates music in general.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Meanwhile... in another post...

SnakeoilSage:
I'm 30-ish, and I enjoy many of his videos... -snip- ...He loves the work he does and he has tried to give something back by working with charities.

Ya, this is great and all but it only explains why YOU like Pewdiepie, and doesn't show us anything besides your predetermined bias towards supporting him.

SnakeoilSage:

And I roll my eyes when people assume one thing can encompass an entire group of people. You assume that EVERYONE that hates Pewdiepie hates him because of his popularity, but you fail to see more then that. It may come as a shock to you but some people do hate him because of his jokes or his videos or his voice or his... well you get the idea.

What I'm trying to say is... stop assuming that people hate something because they're "jealous" the world isn't black and white ya know? (and it makes you look like a prat)

I admit, I really don't care for Pewdiepie, but I do enjoy a lot of similar channels such as Markiplier and the Game Grumps. To me, I find Mark to be a less irritating person without a huge ego and always quite willing to make fun of himself, which helps.

However, PDP has certainly helped Let's Play-ers find a presence on Youtube and get the attention of ad networks, so I can't really begrudge his existence.

My only complaint with PDP is if you try and do a LP of a game that he's done and you're not well known, prepare for copyright takedowns and the comments spammed with "PEWDIEPIE PLAYED IT FIRST!!! YOU'RE NOT ALLOWED TO PLAY IT!!!"

Jmp_man:
Ya, this is great and all but it only explains why YOU like Pewdiepie, and doesn't show us anything besides your predetermined bias towards supporting him.

Predetermined? What's predetermined? I watch his videos, I like his videos. When did someone decide I liked them beforehand?

Jmp_man:
And I roll my eyes when people assume one thing can encompass an entire group of people. You assume that EVERYONE that hates Pewdiepie hates him because of his popularity, but you fail to see more then that. It may come as a shock to you but some people do hate him because of his jokes or his videos or his voice or his... well you get the idea.

What I'm trying to say is... stop assuming that people hate something because they're "jealous" the world isn't black and white ya know? (and it makes you look like a prat)

Sometimes the world is black and white, dude, and trying to pretend its a more complex issue just confuses things. If you don't like his humor or his videos, I'm not here to tell you to. But it annoys me whenever his name comes up and a handful of people call him an "unfunny retard" or his videos are all scripted or how he makes millions of dollars off his videos and we're all supposed to resent him for that. He has no impact on the lives of people who don't watch or care for his work. None. Yet they still pop in to remind everyone about it whenever there's an opportunity, they still show up to sling shit. To me that says they resent someone being famous for doing something they don't value and they envy the fact that he's top billing while they're an obscure nobody whining on a forum somewhere.

Consider the popularity of Justin Bieber as opposed to those who say they hate his guts despite having never listened to his music or met him in person. Consider the rage flying around the Twilight books when 90% of the people and their rage against the horrible books wasn't based on personal experience but just jumping into the bandwagon of anger over someone being stupidly successful over an idea you don't care for.

The truth is that if someone doesn't t care for him, they don't have to acknowledge him, period. They can shrug when his name is mentioned and go back to living their own life instead of trying to piss on the people that pissed on their flawed logic for hating someone "because popular."

Then tell me again this isn't about envy.

"Soon, PewDiePie will have the most subscribed channel on YouTube"

.. Wait, doesn't he already have that? Hasn't he had that for like, months now?

CharrHearted:

He is, this is a video they're recycling from... almost OVER a year ago IIRC.

I mean jesus fucking christ guys, SERIOUSLY?! This is what the site is now? Random fucking 'nerd' news with quality control that allows significantly old videos to be pushed as new content? This is JUST as bad as that Smosh Gaming bullshit ya'll tried to push last year.

I mean seriously, I'm liking the expansion on content covered in the news, but there's no excuse for this. And 'please' do not use that bullshit 'But it's new to the site' defense, because The Escapist is NOT starved for content. This is laziness, pure and simple.

So, it won't be long before PewDIePie is due for a contract with The Escapist. That's how we got Yahtzee and (as I just learned) Jim, among several other video contributors.

I think you left out the part where lots of people were looking up playthroughs of Amnesia and his was the most popular because people found his screaming funny.

Darth_Payn:
So, it won't be long before PewDIePie is due for a contract with The Escapist. That's how we got Yahtzee and (as I just learned) Jim, among several other video contributors.

I promise, my visitations of the escapist will drop from occasional to non-existent if that shit happens, though stuff like Game Theorists and that attempted partnership with Smosh Gaming indicate that Escapist wouldn't pass up on the idea.

LobsterFeng:
I think you left out the part where lots of people were looking up playthroughs of Amnesia and his was the most popular because people found his screaming funny.

This too.

Well in a few years he'll be to old for most kids to want to watch no matter how many primary school girl squeals he throws in his videos.

Or maybe I'm wrong...it'll be exceptionally creepy to see most of his followers still tuning in to see 40 yr old pew die pie screaming at the latest youtube fodder farted out by a highly cynical dev team with low funding.

I find pewdiepie funny when I'm in certain moods. The only two channels I find entertaining all the time are asxdefter and thesw1tcher. However Pewdiepie takes an approach toward things of have fun. Also his reactions to the fricked up crap in Japanese horror games is downright funny.

I can't escape his dumb face no matter how hard I try. I have a filter that blocks his videos from appearing in youtube but websites still bring him up.

It's bad enough he started an explosion of other idiots over-the-top screaming with their faces crammed into a camera hamming it up even more, but he gets rewarded millions a year for doing it.

Kyogissun:

CharrHearted:

He is, this is a video they're recycling from... almost OVER a year ago IIRC.

I mean jesus fucking christ guys, SERIOUSLY?! This is what the site is now? Random fucking 'nerd' news with quality control that allows significantly old videos to be pushed as new content? This is JUST as bad as that Smosh Gaming bullshit ya'll tried to push last year.

I mean seriously, I'm liking the expansion on content covered in the news, but there's no excuse for this. And 'please' do not use that bullshit 'But it's new to the site' defense, because The Escapist is NOT starved for content. This is laziness, pure and simple.

Yeah, I've been wondering why they think we'll lap up this content even though it's just old content taken from Youtube. I understand getting The Theorist some more coverage but why can't The Escapist commission a series like they did with Extra Credits back in the day?

I mean, when a website starts playing old reruns from another website it just seems... troubling.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Nurb:
I can't escape his dumb face no matter how hard I try. I have a filter that blocks his videos from appearing in youtube but websites still bring him up.

It's bad enough he started an explosion of other idiots over-the-top screaming with their faces crammed into a camera hamming it up even more, but he gets rewarded millions a year for doing it.

Didn't this site make a button that turns everyone's avatar into his face? Or was that Beiber, I forget.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Darth_Payn:

If you look at Yahtzee they picked him up when his internet career was just starting and in Jim's case he was 'in' the garme jarnalizm biz over at Destructoid already so he had a lot of exposure around that. I would like more original content like from back in the day with Unforgotten Realms or, hell, 'I Hit It With My Axe'... The Escapist taking already partly known names, current site contributors or safe bets rather than commissioning new content like they used to do makes me wonder how good the finances are back in their HQ.

Although it's looking like we're going to see Yahtzee's Let's Drown Out series from Youtube on here before any of that happens.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

To be honest I don't like Pewdiepie. His voice irritates me to no end, his overwrought screams and such are irritating to me and the way in which he spouts the same nonsense over and over again about random objects he finds in the games OR, and he does this a lot, he starts creaming about how he's about to be raped or the enemies are raping him or such. Now, I usually don't take offense to rape jokes but the way in which pewdiepie does it just kills any kind of humour, It's like he's a 12 year old child screaming the word because it's a bad word and it will get him attention.

On the other hand he plays a lot of indie games and mods and spreads awareness of them which is nice and apparently he's a pretty nice bloke off of his show so I hold nothing against him personally I just ignore anything made by him.

Actually, we didn't give the world meatballs. Meatballs are a Turkish invention, but we stole them.

We're vikings. Stealing's kind of our thing.

By the way, where can I find the 4:17 clip?

When was this written? Pewdiepie's single channel already exceeds Smosh's three channels combined by over three million subscribers (29 million for Pewdiepie if you are curious.) Also, this was covered in depth by PBS Idea Channel months ago without the "humor" of mispronouncing Swedish names in an infantile way.

Kaimax:

I loled :3

Dude seems to be popular because he's energetic, Swedish, and, apart from most people who play games professionally, is terrible at games, making him more relatable to large number of people

2012 Wont Happen:
Dude seems to be popular because he's energetic, Swedish, and, apart from most people who play games professionally, is terrible at games, making him more relatable to large number of people

This.

Also... the willingness of someone who has earned millions still willing to play Horror/Hardcore games despite not really liking horror.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here