Escape to the Movies: Sin City: A Dame to Kill For - Bleeds Substance for Style

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Sin City: A Dame to Kill For - Bleeds Substance for Style

Not bad, but it was better the first time around.

Watch Video

That voice over....a bit too cheesy this time, Bob. In the previous movie the dames were all sort of ...not helpless. They were over-the-top more badass than their male counterparts (save for Marv, he's a human tank). I'm curious if this movie played more parts to the assassin that was in the opening and ending of the the first Sin City; that's something I'd watch more of because that story has my curiosity peaked.

Let me check my watch. Its Miller Time. I watched the first one I thought it was ok.

Ok if I understood this right (no offence while it was a funny parody but I couldn't make sense what Bob was saying most of the time)-

The Nancy revenge part is not from the comicbook.

It's somewhat similar to 300: Rise of an Empire in that it's not as good as the first one and Lena Headey is still kickass in it?

Either way I am still planning to watch it next week!

Could not watch. I get what you were going for here, Bob, but I kept skipping ahead in the video hoping you'd go back to your usual review and completely gave up by the halfway-mark. Even the "Bah-stan" accent would be better.

On the bright side, I didn't much care for the first one and don't really give a damn about the second, so at least I don't feel like I'm missing much.

Yeah, I got the same feeling. The original was so long ago, I stopped caring for a sequel.

I agree with your assessment of the first one. It was a good and stylish film, but only in so far it was a novelty.

Anything attempting to ape it was doomed to fall short as a result. Take away the flair and all you've got left is a mediocre and hammy film noir.

Not planning a cinema visit anytime soon, but if a friend asks me to go to it I won't refuse. There are worse ways to spend an evening.

"Just okay" huh? Well, it's not my thing anyway, so I have no problem just skipping it.

As for the 16 german suplexes, which would've sucked more, 16 over the course of the match or the 10 in a row Chris Benoit hit on Stone Cold Steve Austin?

I like how Bob is trying to retroactively convince us The Dark Knight Returns & the first Sin City film wasn't amazing, as Miller's unbelievable dickishness has become even more apparent since then. It won't work, tho.

Burnouts3s3:
Yeah, I got the same feeling. The original was so long ago, I stopped caring for a sequel.

See, to me, that's a good thing. It means, whether the movie is any good or not, that the sequel got made because people wanted to make it and not simply to fill out a budget sheet (I know they're trying to make money but we're talking 10 years between movies vs. franchises that get near annual installments).

I think the voice over worked for the discussion of Eva Green, but and that carried the review to the end, but the first half was a slog. Still, having a different sort of review was fun. Now we need a Boondock Saints 3 and a review done entirely in limerick.

You really didn't need to do the entire review like that... really!

But with that said. Fuck this movie. I could barely stand how mean spirited and dark and gritty the original was, also so very juvenile. So, I don't plan on having a second go at it again. Not even Eva Green can sell it to me this time, as much as I can't help but to find her the most beautiful woman alive.

I maintain that the first Sin City was good. Calling it style over substance isn't an insult, it's exactly what they were going for, and they succeeded in a brilliant way. I wish more films would take risks like that.

Wasn't exactly begging for another one though.

Hungry Donner:
Now we need a Boondock Saints 3 and a review done entirely in limerick.

I don't think there are enough "Yes!"'es in the world to voice an adequate agreement to that statement (in case my sentence structure was a bit too... er... broken - which it probably was, what I mean by that is that I agree more than should physically be possible).

"If you're old enough to read it you're probably too old to appreciate it."

So true. I've always suspected that if I'd seen Sin City when I was in my early teens I'd have thought it was the greatest movie ever. As it is it mostly bored me.

As for Frank... he's gone way off the deep end - Dark Knight Strikes Again and All Star Batman and Robin could maybe be excused as self parody, but Holy Terror was an ugly insight into Miller's mind. A shame, since TDKR and his early work on Daredevil were and still are amazing.

All the same I can still enjoy 300 for the sheer spectacle of it if I don't think too hard about the mentality behind it, and I daresay the Sin City movies can be enjoyed in the same way.

It does beg the question if what happened was Rodriguez waited too long. His filmography as of late just kinda sucks and it also doesn't help that in the interim between this and the last one Miller has REALLY gone off the deep end. Seems the best reason to watch this is to see Mickey Rourke be Marv again and the Hateful Eight trailer.

Yeah I gotta echo the sentiment about the cheesy voice over. It was kind of cute for the first minute or so but it's a bit much over the entire video.

The Great JT:
"Just okay" huh? Well, it's not my thing anyway, so I have no problem just skipping it.

As for the 16 german suplexes, which would've sucked more, 16 over the course of the match or the 10 in a row Chris Benoit hit on Stone Cold Steve Austin?

See, I was thinking it was 16 suplexes in a row. I started thinking "cool at first, but that would get tedious as hell to watching after about the 8th one."

I liked Bob's style of reviewing this one. No, I wouldn't want him speaking like Optimus Prime for a transformers review, or Michaelangelo for a TMNT review, but for this one, I get it. I figured there would be some detractors, but given the movie being reviewed, and what is review of it was, I'm glad he opted to go this route, rather than "so here's a review."

Now, if his review was a negative one, or a terribly scathing one, I would have preferred him speak normally in order to better understand his argument. But since his opinion on this one is "meh, it could have been worse," I don't mind it.

Scarim Coral:

It's somewhat similar to 300: Rise of an Empire in that it's not as good as the first one and Lena Headey is still kickass in it?

I personally enjoyed Rise a lot more than the first.

First one dissapointed me.
Your voice over... funny for a while, but harder to make out then a narrator should be without subtitles...

Sometimes people who are otherwise very smart and very funny make mistakes and think up jokes that don't work, it happens. If the voice thing was like a minute or so of the review it probably would've worked , but the whole thing? Stretched a potentially good joke out into uselessness. And from the sounds of it the movie really wasn't good enough to warrant such effort on the review. Soooo, yeah.

As for the movie, when it comes out on Netflix or something I might watch it just for Eva Green, I'm still trying to figure out if I'm attracted to or terrified by her and watching this might help in that decision.

I was kinda hoping there would be at least one mention of how Lady Gaga was in this movie. I am curious how she is as an actress.

Well Bob, got to say, that was one bottle of scotch and a carton of marlboros well spend. Good job on the voice.

Voice gimmick was worth it for "[Miller's] lost more marbles than a Hungry, Hungry Hippo with a hangover".

haha always wanted to have a movie reviewed by Commissioner Bunny Face... lol

I think Eva Green really can act but people do tend to get fixated on her appearance but that was a very good point about the internet Bob. The voice made me chuckle please do more of that.

I can't quite decide if I want to go watch another one of these, I liked the first one this might be like the Dark Knight Rises. It's more of what I liked but somehow not quite as enjoyable...

kickyourass:
Sometimes people who are otherwise very smart and very funny make mistakes and think up jokes that don't work, it happens. If the voice thing was like a minute or so of the review it probably would've worked , but the whole thing? Stretched a potentially good joke out into uselessness. And from the sounds of it the movie really wasn't good enough to warrant such effort on the review. Soooo, yeah.

As for the movie, when it comes out on Netflix or something I might watch it just for Eva Green, I'm still trying to figure out if I'm attracted to or terrified by her and watching this might help in that decision.

I think that was the point, my guess would be the movie was to boring to do a normal review so he threw in the gimmick to make if more interesting to actually make. Overall I thought it went a little long toward the middle than picked up again towards the end I liked so I liked it towards the end.

As for the movie eh sounds boring the art style thing still looks cool but that's about it, and its impossible for me to find a person on a screen very attractive so I guess its a pass.

I honestly didn't like the style of the review. By all means, joke and satirise that kind of narration/presentation, but not for an entire episode, the joke gets old really quickly.
As for the film, I'll check it out, as I liked the first one, and quite enjoyed the comics. They're hardly the greatest examples of their respective formats and the genre, but good enough that I'm going to give A Dame to Kill For a chance.

I turned that off half way through. That voice is a deal breaker

To be fair, Eva Green always brings it. Hell, go watch Penny Dreadful if you want to see her in something good instead of having her elevate schlock (fun schlock, but still schlock)...

Hungry Donner:
I think the voice over worked for the discussion of Eva Green, but and that carried the review to the end, but the first half was a slog.

I'm... actually pretty sure the fact that it takes less than five minutes for the style to get gratingly old is both the for-serious point he's making about the movie and the central joke of the review. Note how many of the people that didn't quite get what was going on there are summarizing literally everything Frank Miller has ever been involved in in their comments by accident:

kickyourass:
Sometimes people who are otherwise very smart and very funny make mistakes and think up jokes that don't work, it happens. If the voice thing was like a minute or so of the review it probably would've worked , but the whole thing? Stretched a potentially good joke out into uselessness.

Pills_Here:
Yeah I gotta echo the sentiment about the cheesy voice over. It was kind of cute for the first minute or so but it's a bit much over the entire video.

... we should pretty much put one or the other of those on Miller's tomb stone when he finally kicks it.

I miss Michael Clark Duncan, s'not fair :'(

Jandau:
To be fair, Eva Green always brings it. Hell, go watch Penny Dreadful if you want to see her in something good instead of having her elevate schlock (fun schlock, but still schlock)...

The reason people need to go see Penny Dreadful is DEFINITELY for the gay werewolves.

Sorry, bisexual werewolves.

OT:
Yeah I don't plan on seeing this, that's all I can say. This review only helps that viewpoint.

Oh God, that voice...
Bob, just stop. Gimmicks are not your thing. Just review the damn movie. See, now I have no idea if you liked it or not. Too many noir pros, not enough substance.
To quote Bob, you bleed substance for style.

Huh. So Bob... liked it? The voice-over this time was pretty funny and got the mood going. I also liked your analysis of Frank Miller and the style of his Sin City books.
You really want inside Frank's head? Read his 20 Questions Interview with Playboy. He is quite mad, naturally, but he's also self-depreciating and proud to call himself a "troublemaker." He also said he loves Superman, he just has a funny way of showing it.

kickyourass:

It also helps that Jessica Alba's still easy on the eyes.

I, for one, liked the voice over. Made a review for an (apparently) so-so movie that I wasn't too interested in to begin with (didn't care for the first one) entertaining to watch. And about as "deep" as most "noir" stories.

Also loved the shoutout to Brick. Man that was a good movie.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here