Legend of Korra: Book Three Finale Review: Korra Rolls On

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Legend of Korra: Book Three Finale Review: Korra Rolls On

Legend of Korra: Book Three comes to a fitting end and sets up for Book Four, but how will Korra recover?

Read Full Article

Mike Hoffman:
In Avatar: The Last Airbender, Aang was never able to access his seventh chakra, because to do so he would have to sever himself from all earthly desire, the last of which being his love for Katara. Now, in the wake of P'Li's death, Zaheer has done what Aang could never achieve and has become untethered to this world.

I don't think that's what happenned for Zaheer, accessing the seventh chakra was to use and control the avatar state, and Aang did that in the last episode of the 2nd season of A:TLA.

What Zaheer did, was explained, in part, by avatar Yangchen in the second part of "Sozin's comet". He detached himself from the world after the death of P'Li whom was his only anchor in the world.

Mike Hoffman:

[...](I)t is Mako who dispatches his foe first, shocking Ming-Hua by using lightning on the water she is standing it. Of course, we have to ask why he didn't do that many episodes ago(.)

Yeah I found that fight pretty anti-climatic. He fights her of, but falls for her trap and they're on her turf now and then wham just pulls the Ace out of the Sleeve and it's over.

Thing is I don't think he could Lightning Bend until that moment, it was supposed to be his "Oh, I'm fucked" - Moment like Zaheer and Bolin had in the previous Episode (Unlocking Flight, and Lavabending).

And it's understandable, she was freakin' scary with her weird Waterlegs and the shadows she was casting.

Would've loved it if they'd have padded it out a bit and let them have they're fight with Makos new power.

But that's just my idea on why he suddenly pulled the lightning card, can't remember maybe he had used it before.

Wolyo:

Mike Hoffman:
In Avatar: The Last Airbender, Aang was never able to access his seventh chakra, because to do so he would have to sever himself from all earthly desire, the last of which being his love for Katara. Now, in the wake of P'Li's death, Zaheer has done what Aang could never achieve and has become untethered to this world.

I don't think that's what happenned for Zaheer, accessing the seventh chakra was to use and control the avatar state, and Aang did that in the last episode of the 2nd season of A:TLA.

What Zaheer did, was explained, in part, by avatar Yangchen in the second part of "Sozin's comet". He detached himself from the world after the death of P'Li whom was his only anchor in the world.

Pretty much, it was simply Zaheer reaching the pinnacle of Airbending. The whole "nomad" lifestyle has all been about having no attachments, being free and unconstrained - like air.

The loss of love was clearly the thing that allowed Zaheer to become one with the void. He lost that what was most important to him, and without that everything else just paled in comparison. He gave up everything, and gained everything by doing so.

An interesting take on Airbending and also probably the reason why Tenzin would never be able to master Airbending to that degree - he has a family, and a cause.

vipLink:

Mike Hoffman:

[...](I)t is Mako who dispatches his foe first, shocking Ming-Hua by using lightning on the water she is standing it. Of course, we have to ask why he didn't do that many episodes ago(.)

Yeah I found that fight pretty anti-climatic. He fights her of, but falls for her trap and they're on her turf now and then wham just pulls the Ace out of the Sleeve and it's over.

Thing is I don't think he could Lightning Bend until that moment, it was supposed to be his "Oh, I'm fucked" - Moment like Zaheer and Bolin had in the previous Episode (Unlocking Flight, and Lavabending).

And it's understandable, she was freakin' scary with her weird Waterlegs and the shadows she was casting.

Would've loved it if they'd have padded it out a bit and let them have they're fight with Makos new power.

But that's just my idea on why he suddenly pulled the lightning card, can't remember maybe he had used it before.

In the cave he was able to be grounded while ABOVE the water, using the stalagmites while not being submerged - whereas in a previous fight he was either submerged himself or Ming-Hua was not ever in a large pool of water.

Mako was lightning bending way earlier in the series, in the first season if I recall, working in a power-plant using his lightning bending.

Funny thing about lightning bending when compared to lava-bending is that they both seem to embrace aspects of their closer "schools". Lava is essentially a combination of water and fire with an earth core. Lightning bending combines earth (requires grounding) and air (where lightning originates) but ultimately is heat/energy.

"Korra Rolls On", that's harsh man.

I've felt like they've been avoiding pulling the trigger on certain things (as in "Lets create an in universe way for Jinora to live on as a Spirit and still be in the show buuuut lets just use the DExM and leave it there".) for quite a while, they did it again this season, but the show is no worse for it. Some really great character progression so far, looking forward to seeing whats next.

One common theory is that the poison used was mercury. It seems to fit the symptoms.

It would have been nice to have the slightest hint about Bolin's lavabending before he managed to pull it off.

I don't think Mako lightningbended for the last two seasons. I wonder why? Do you need to stop moving or something?

I think the thought behind lightening bending is the it requires a vast amount of concentration and requires you to keep you emotions in check. Which is why Zuko could never lightening bend in ATLA.

On the other hand I loved the finale and it has probably been my favorite out of the whole serious including ATLA. This is the first season finale that has me on edge for where it can go in the next season. I really want to see how Korra continues to grow next season and deals with her overall physical and emotional frailty after this seasons battle. I hope she rises above and it able to overcome the effects of the battle but I expect it will be a long hard slog to get through it.

Also finally someone else who though that even though Tenzin had the best intentions, he may have actually hurt Korra by making the Air Nation guardians of peace as it is just one more way the Avatar can be seen as redundant.

I loved the ending. I'm a bit dissapointed that the season was so short, but if they made it longer, there may have been filler. So, I'm on the fence about that.

P'Li's death was just..."Holy shit!! Did that really just happen? That's a horrible way to go.
The final part of Zaheer's plan was actually quite surprising and clever.

Seeing Korra stuck in a wheelchair, that was gutwrenching. Seeing such a strong, vibrant character brought so low gave me all the feels. Can't wait for Book 4.

I had some problems with this season, to say the least.

1)Why did the Red Lotus use a metallic poison to try to kill Korra, knowing that two metal benders were hot on their heels? If they had used any ordinary liquid poison without metallic components, they would have won. Instead, they were idiots, and lost.

2) Bolin's lava bending is effectively an asspull and amounts to almost nothing, as it only saves them the one time (which could've easily been rewritten to work without Bolin doing that) and still doesn't give him any sort of edge against Ghazan. It's basically pointless.

3) While I liked the use of all the new airbenders to defeat Zaheer, I *hated* that they defeated Ghazan and Ming-Hua with just Mako and Bolin, two teenagers who previously got mopped up by these two in a straight-up fight. It took two expert metal benders from the Bei Fong bloodline to beat one of their members before that. Ming-Hua's defeat was especially bitter as it's the only time that Mako had the brains to use his lightning bending, and Ming-Hua (a supposed expert of water bending) had no hard counter to this.

4) I've had a serious problem with Zaheer being so good at airbending all season that, by the season's end, he's effectively surpassed even Tenzin. They excuse it by saying that he studied the air nomads in the past, but I don't see how that could possibly translate to him having such flawless technique as to virtually go toe-to-toe with Tenzin, an expert airbender trained by Aang himself. Just because I read up on kung-fu technique doesn't make me a kung-fu master.

5) There seems to be a total lack of consistency regarding healing in this seeason. Tenzin, who was beaten up rather badly by all four of the villains, seems a-okay two weeks later during Jinora's ceremony. Bumi, similarly, seems to have bounced back fine. Kya, on the other hand, is still using a crutch to walk, despite her beating not being nearly as severe as Tenzin's, not to mention that she's a water bender who was no doubt trained by the best healer in the entire world who is also her mother. There's no reason for Kya to be worse for wear than Tenzin or Bumi. Similarly, the Avatar is still wheelchair-bound two weeks later? Why isn't she getting healed by Katara on a daily basis, or if she is, why isn't it helping? Why all of a sudden NOW does the series pretend that people need to heal "naturally" when we've had healing via water bending firmly established in-universe since Aang's storyline, and we know full well that said healing can damn near revive you from the verge of death? I'll grant that it has more emotional impact this way, but it also feels very hollow when you consider that there's really no reason she should be in this state, unless they're using a Padme-esque excuse that her heart and mind are so broken that she's "lost the will to live" or whatever.

6) They took the time to set up four villains that have AMAZING new ways to use bending....and then ruin all of them by giving the same or similar abilities to their existing cast members. Tonraq is shown using an ability similar to Ming-Hua's water arms against Zaheer, and Bolin spontaneously develops lava bending. I wouldn't be surprised if, by season 4's end, *someone* among the airbenders develops flight, as well. They did such a great job making their villains unique and threatening, and then took that uniqueness from them.

It was no "Jinora Jesus" ending, at least, but that isn't saying very much since that ending nearly made me stop watching the series altogether. Season 4 would have to be unbelievably good to convince me that this series was worth producing at this point, since all it seems willing to do is destroy a lot of the world and setting, which is a big part of what made Aang's story so good.

In the effort to keep raising the stakes higher, they keep destroying a lot of the lore that made the original world so vast and interesting. In the first season, they ruined the "spiritual" nature of air bending by having Korra suddenly and inexplicably trigger it after losing all her other bending (which makes no sense since Amon's ability should have blocked all bending period since it locks up chakras). In the second, they destroy the Avatar's very nature, "killing" her attachment to the other Avatars, which effectively makes her basically just a person who can use all four bending types. Now, they're effectively pretending that "healing" isn't a thing, and they're making it seem like people can just randomly trigger new bending abilities at will. And they keep falling back on characters from Aang's storyline to try and hold up the narrative because they're seemingly afraid that Korra's cast can't hold its own.

vipLink:

Mike Hoffman:

He's always been able to use Lightning. Since Season One. He just rarely uses it. There's even an episode where it shows him going to work at one of the cities power plants in order to make money to pay rent.

CriticKitten:

4) I've had a serious problem with Zaheer being so good at airbending all season that, by the season's end, he's effectively surpassed even Tenzin. They excuse it by saying that he studied the air nomads in the past, but I don't see how that could possibly translate to him having such flawless technique as to virtually go toe-to-toe with Tenzin, an expert airbender trained by Aang himself. Just because I read up on kung-fu technique doesn't make me a kung-fu master.

Well he must have been a master fighter before being imprisonned you know. Even before they knew that he became an airbender they still locked him up alone, in one of the most secure prison, surrounded by benders of the white lotus. He must have been someone very dangerous even without bending.

He was behind bars for 13 years the only thing that saved him was the fact he became an airbender, something they did not expected.

And without Gazan and Ming Hua arrival Tenzin would have kicked his ass. He may have been able to unlock the final power of airbending but Tenzin techniques are far more refined than his. He was winning the one on one fight.

CriticKitten:
In the second, they destroy the Avatar's very nature, "killing" her attachment to the other Avatars, which effectively makes her basically just a person who can use all four bending types

Nope, she is like avatar Wan, the first avatar of a New Cycle. She is in a world who seemingly don't need it's avatar anymore. A enormous change, even Aang did not see a change like this.

CriticKitten:

1)Why did the Red Lotus use a metallic poison to try to kill Korra, knowing that two metal benders were hot on their heels? If they had used any ordinary liquid poison without metallic components, they would have won. Instead, they were idiots, and lost.

From the looks of it the poison used was Mercury. Which one of its effects is mind altering. Perhaps they need a mind altering poison in order to induce the Avatar State. I mean if it was just a normal poison what's to stop Korra from just refusing to go into the Avatar State? I think it makes perfect sense.

2) Bolin's lava bending is effectively an asspull and amounts to almost nothing, as it only saves them the one time (which could've easily been rewritten to work without Bolin doing that) and still doesn't give him any sort of edge against Ghazan. It's basically pointless.

They spent several episodes with Bolin trying to Metalbend in various ways at various times. This is the least "asspull" thing they have done in Avatar. There was plenty of time devoted to showing that Bolin had been trying to strive to become a better bender. In all honesty if you didn't see it coming it's your fault. The minute that Ghazan started flooding the room with Lava it was apparent that one of the best resolutions to the problem was Bolin learning Lava Bending.

3) While I liked the use of all the new airbenders to defeat Zaheer, I *hated* that they defeated Ghazan and Ming-Hua with just Mako and Bolin, two teenagers who previously got mopped up by these two in a straight-up fight. It took two expert metal benders from the Bei Fong bloodline to beat one of their members before that. Ming-Hua's defeat was especially bitter as it's the only time that Mako had the brains to use his lightning bending, and Ming-Hua (a supposed expert of water bending) had no hard counter to this.

You JUST said that Bolin learning Lava Bending doesn't give him an edge on Ghazan... yet here you are complaining that Bolin could now go toe to toe with Ghazan. So which is it?

What pray tell is the hard counter a water bender should have for lightning? I'm not sure why it took Mako this look to finally use his lightning but what should be the amazing Deus Ex Water Bending Anti-Lightning Tehcnique?

Except it's not just reading. Zaheer was deadly before he learned how to Airbend. There's a reason he's introduced in a locked cage in a secluded mountain. Skill from any kind of Martial Art is going to carry over to others. A guy who has patterned his life after the Airbending Masters, who is a skilled Martial Artist (dangerous enough to be given a special prison), who has read up on probably anything and everything pertaining to Airbending. He barely holds his ground against Tenzin, and only gets the jump on him thanks to P'Li. Then 4 bending experts take him down and beat the crud out of him. THIS is your moment of disbelief?

5) There seems to be a total lack of consistency regarding healing in this seeason. Tenzin, who was beaten up rather badly by all four of the villains, seems a-okay two weeks later during Jinora's ceremony. Bumi, similarly, seems to have bounced back fine. Kya, on the other hand, is still using a crutch to walk, despite her beating not being nearly as severe as Tenzin's, not to mention that she's a water bender who was no doubt trained by the best healer in the entire world who is also her mother. There's no reason for Kya to be worse for wear than Tenzin or Bumi. Similarly, the Avatar is still wheelchair-bound two weeks later? Why isn't she getting healed by Katara on a daily basis, or if she is, why isn't it helping? Why all of a sudden NOW does the series pretend that people need to heal "naturally" when we've had healing via water bending firmly established in-universe since Aang's storyline, and we know full well that said healing can damn near revive you from the verge of death? I'll grant that it has more emotional impact this way, but it also feels very hollow when you consider that there's really no reason she should be in this state, unless they're using a Padme-esque excuse that her heart and mind are so broken that she's "lost the will to live" or whatever.

Seriously? This is your nitpick? "People heal at different rates! SO UNREALISTIC!" Who's to say they haven't been getting water bending healing? They probably have been. And people have always needed to heal naturally in this world. Even after Aang got killed by Azula and brought back to life via magic Deus Ex Machina water it took him weeks to get to the point where he could just stay awake. Healing has never been "Harry Potter Bone Mending" levels of effective. It's always been a way to help them heal, it isn't a complete rejuvenation process.

6) They took the time to set up four villains that have AMAZING new ways to use bending....and then ruin all of them by giving the same or similar abilities to their existing cast members. Tonraq is shown using an ability similar to Ming-Hua's water arms against Zaheer, and Bolin spontaneously develops lava bending. I wouldn't be surprised if, by season 4's end, *someone* among the airbenders develops flight, as well. They did such a great job making their villains unique and threatening, and then took that uniqueness from them.

You do know that almost every single main character Water Bender is shown using the "Water Arm" technique at some point throughout both Legend of Korra and Legend of Aang. Katara uses it, Aang uses it, Korra uses it, Tonraq uses it, pretty sure the twins use it, Kya has used it. This isn't some technique that Ming-Hua developed, it's just one that she uses better then anyone else because she has no arms and depends on it.

CriticKitten:

Maybe that's the only type of poison they have that would force her into the Avatar state rather than just outright kill her? After all, that was the entire point of it; Ghazan and Ming-Hua were going to deliver the finishing blow. And they knew people were after them, but had no way of knowing Kai had not only survived being blown up and falling off a mountain, but had managed to find their hideout as well.

For their plan to fail, pretty much everything that could go wrong had to go wrong. Korra needed to defend herself from the initial attacks, break out of her chains with sheer brute strength, and defeat every single one of them while resisting poison. And, to still survive, some kid would need to not only survive being shot down by P'li, but find their secret base and lead the metalbenders there. Not to mention that if Jinora wasn't capable of projecting herself spiritually, no one would have known the poison was metallic and she'd have died anyway.

Ehh, they weren't exactly subtle about leading up to it. Bolin has a fighting style similar to Ghazan where they're light on their feet and doing a bunch of flips, which alludes to a more fluid form of bending conducive with lavabending. And his difficulty with metalbending and the focus that was given to it should have made the reveal not very surprising.

I'll give you it's kind of ridiculous that he develops it, but really? Because he's not able to overpower Ghazan, lavabending is completely pointless? It doesn't matter that lavabending is pretty much what allowed him to actually fight Ghazan off for a time, or that lavabending is likely going to be brought up in season 4 since he's now the only one who can do it, if it's not useful immediately in an overpowering way it's pointless?

Well, Ming-Hua isn't exactly fighting at full strength, having been smashed into a wall by a boulder before Mako starts fighting her and not having any water to replenish herself until the end. And, while lightningbending would have been useful earlier, people really need to stop acting like it would have been as effective against Ming-Hua when she wasn't connected to a pool of water and could easily dodge out of the way.

And Ghazan (weren't you just complaining about how bad it was that Bolin couldn't beat him?) lost because suddenly someone else can withstand his attacks instead of dodging out of the way and running away helplessly. Combine Bolin negating his attacks and Mako showing up to provide help and you have a reasonable justification for them doing rather well in the fight.

This showed up in one of the other threads but where are people getting that Zaheer went toe-to-toe with Tenzin? I mean, Zaheer managed to last a while fighting him and managed to run away a lot, but Tenzin mopped the damn floor with him and only lost because P'li shot him and the rest of the Red Lotus showed up. And Zaheer is implied to of done more than just read; he likely practiced the movements and mediated and did everything airbenders do except actually airbend.

When has healing ever been shown to heal broken bones or fix poison? It's been shown to heal burns, cuts, and bruises, and help with soreness. It only brought people back from the dead when it was magic spirit water being used to heal a wound. To explain Kya's crutch, maybe she broke a bone when she took that fall while Bumi managed to stay relatively unharmed, and Tenzin likely just got beat up until he lost consciousness. I'd personally imagine that Katara was one of the first people they contacted to try and heal Korra before being told it was no use and that they didn't need to explicitly show this happening for me to believe everyone didn't suddenly forget about healing, but then, I'm not trying to find something to complain about and need to be explicitly shown everything.

There's nothing special about Ming-Hua's water arms by themselves. It's just a way to use it that she uses almost exclusively. The special part of her is her ability to waterbend without arms (due to waterbending seeming to have a lot of arm movements involved) and being so good at it as to pretty much use water as extra limbs. Bolin develops lavabending, but that doesn't put him on the level of Ghazan who can destroy an entire mountain, or bring down the Wall of Ba-Sing-Se, or collapse the cave, but that's still lavabending so I'll give it to you.

And I never considered the special thing about Zaheer being that he could fly (though that's certainly something), but that he was an airbender who didn't have any of that pacifism or evasion mentality built in. He uses airbending as a hard force to beat people with and sucks the life out of people, something vastly different from the way we're used to seeing it.

So you've got an iffy 1/4, and you're pretending you have a 3/4 because someone used water as an arm like they've done multiple times before and you made a baseless prediction. Clearly all these characters were ruined.

Wolyo:

Mike Hoffman:

This is all spot-on. I'd like to further elaborate that Yangchen also stated that complete earthly detachment was impossible for the avatar because the avatar spirit is forever bound in the cycle of earthly rebirth.

Also that the second season episode to which you refer is called "The Crossroads of Destiny".

CriticKitten:

Any other poison would probably be easily waterbent anyways. Also I imagine it had to be something slow acting as to not actually kill her but cause serious damage that her body would react. So in short, something that didn't poison the heart or brain but clogged arteries.

Spaggiari:

This is all spot-on. I'd like to further elaborate that Yangchen also stated that complete earthly detachment was impossible for the avatar because the avatar spirit is forever bound in the cycle of earthly rebirth.

The avatar duty is to the world, therefore he can never detache himself from this world.

Frozengale:
He's always been able to use Lightning. Since Season One. He just rarely uses it. There's even an episode where it shows him going to work at one of the cities power plants in order to make money to pay rent.

Thank you for saving me some words Frozengale.

OT: Overall, this was much, MUCH better than Book 2 was. I'd even go as far as saying this is probably the best book out of the lot of them. While it still has some problems (Jinorah Christ basically saves the day AGAIN, I'm starting to wonder who the bigger Mary Sue is, her or Kaldor Draigo), the issues I do have with it are a lot more nitpicky and minor (going back to that ending, it at least wasn't as out of the blue as Deus Exy as it was in Book 2, but bad writing is still bad writing). For once, they had a finale where too much wasn't pulled out of their arse (save maybe for the metallic poison - something we never really get details on until Jinorah Christ points this out despite having no way of knowing about this).

I could give Book 4 a go. It would be fun if only to see Korra doing bending while stuck in a wheelchair X3

As soon as they did the shots focusing on Kuvira I immediately looked the character up to no avail, but to find out she was voiced by Zelda Williams is just nifty. Hopefully she does play a big part on season 4 even after the recent passing of Robin.

An artist I follow on tumblr that is a huge Legend of Korra fan says that the ending 'destroyed' them, at first I thought they were exaggerating, but fuck it was heavy. Think the creators are trying to compensate for the Avatar ex-machina season 1 resolution, which I can understand giving the fans closure whilst the shows future wasn't set. First she loses all the past avatars and now she's crippled physically and mentally with an existential crisis.

And to play devils advocate for Mako, sometimes when your under pressure you just mash buttons on the controller with a vague idea of what happens, so you know, I'd imagine it wouldn't be too hard to forget the simple water conducts electricity bit, then there's also the fact that he'd have to be clear of the water.

MrHide-Patten:
As soon as they did the shots focusing on Kuvira I immediately looked the character up to no avail, but to find out she was voiced by Zelda Williams is just nifty. Hopefully she does play a big part on season 4 even after the recent passing of Robin.

I know they introduced her discretly before but damn that moment felt forced.

The ending, and especially the last shot were really, really unsettling. In a great way. Not many cartoons I've seen have been this gutwrenching.

No discussion of that the red lotus has metalbenders or who P`li did mean with "being part of his war machine".

As Korra gets more and more sidelined by the actually interesting characters I've been finding the show become more and more entertaining.

Fantastic series all the sudden. Got a lot back by focusing less on her as a whiney avatar and more as her as just one of a team.

While orignally I thought that metalbending captain played a future role in season 4 due to her late introduction but since she was voice by Zelda Willaim, I think it was more of a guest voice like that tennis playing voicing that prison guard who was kind to Iroh during his improsionment. Still would that mean that episode was made right after Robin death or was it mere coincidence or maybe they already made that scene already but got her to voice that character?

Something wierd I noticed watching the 3rd season again: Zelda Williams' character actually appears several times before, in the Zoufu (sp?) episodes. Her face is a on a newspaer being read by Lin for like a second, and she appears during the kidnapping attempt. She just didn't get any special attention. It was really subtle.

Anyway, I guess my point is that whatever role she plays in the next season, they've been planning it for a long time.

Kind of funny considering that the only dying characters in Legend Of Korra, from the first season is the bad guys, and none of the good guys (Of course, there are implied character's death, like Mako and Bolin's parent, but whatever). No matter, still an entertaining show in my book.

Addressing multiple posts at once here because it's easier than separate posts for each person.

Point 1:

From the looks of it the poison used was Mercury. Which one of its effects is mind altering. Perhaps they need a mind altering poison in order to induce the Avatar State. I mean if it was just a normal poison what's to stop Korra from just refusing to go into the Avatar State? I think it makes perfect sense.

Maybe that's the only type of poison they have that would force her into the Avatar state rather than just outright kill her? After all, that was the entire point of it; Ghazan and Ming-Hua were going to deliver the finishing blow. And they knew people were after them, but had no way of knowing Kai had not only survived being blown up and falling off a mountain, but had managed to find their hideout as well.

For their plan to fail, pretty much everything that could go wrong had to go wrong. Korra needed to defend herself from the initial attacks, break out of her chains with sheer brute strength, and defeat every single one of them while resisting poison. And, to still survive, some kid would need to not only survive being shot down by P'li, but find their secret base and lead the metalbenders there. Not to mention that if Jinora wasn't capable of projecting herself spiritually, no one would have known the poison was metallic and she'd have died anyway.

Any other poison would probably be easily waterbent anyways. Also I imagine it had to be something slow acting as to not actually kill her but cause serious damage that her body would react. So in short, something that didn't poison the heart or brain but clogged arteries.

What was stopping her from doing it anyways? Because it's mercury and that makes it special? That's nonsense. There are any number of poisons in the known world that can invoke hallucinations and cause mental side effects, and not all of them are inherently metallic.

Not to mention, the explanation given was that the poison would cause damage to her body that she couldn't fight, thus forcing out the Avatar State, which is consistent with how it works: it usually triggers unconsciously when the Avatar is in a potentially lethal state of being. And this is the very first time we've seen it triggered unconsciously when the person was poisoned. Usually it's triggered by severe trauma (or in the case of Aang early in the series, emotional strain). NOTHING was stated about how the poison had to alter her mental state to force the Avatar State. That's merely a presumption, and given that previous unconscious Avatar States were triggered by physical or emotional damage, it's not a very good presumption. If the poison had been sufficiently strong enough to put her on the verge of death (regardless of its side effects), there's no reason to believe it wouldn't achieve the same effect of forcing her into the Avatar State.

Ergo, the use of a metallic poison was stupid, because it physically separated the poisonous components from her bodily fluids, making it easy to draw out. Had it been a normal liquid, they couldn't have water bended it out without also water bending actual bodily fluids out of her too, making it way more dangerous to treat, and they'd never have gotten her to Katara for healing in time either.

Point 2:

They spent several episodes with Bolin trying to Metalbend in various ways at various times. This is the least "asspull" thing they have done in Avatar. There was plenty of time devoted to showing that Bolin had been trying to strive to become a better bender. In all honesty if you didn't see it coming it's your fault. The minute that Ghazan started flooding the room with Lava it was apparent that one of the best resolutions to the problem was Bolin learning Lava Bending.

Ehh, they weren't exactly subtle about leading up to it. Bolin has a fighting style similar to Ghazan where they're light on their feet and doing a bunch of flips, which alludes to a more fluid form of bending conducive with lavabending. And his difficulty with metalbending and the focus that was given to it should have made the reveal not very surprising.

I'll give you it's kind of ridiculous that he develops it, but really? Because he's not able to overpower Ghazan, lavabending is completely pointless? It doesn't matter that lavabending is pretty much what allowed him to actually fight Ghazan off for a time, or that lavabending is likely going to be brought up in season 4 since he's now the only one who can do it, if it's not useful immediately in an overpowering way it's pointless?

Actually it's still a complete asspull. Yes, they showed that Bolin couldn't bend metal. But they gave no hints whatsoever that he could bend lava. Ghazan was the first character we've seen with this skill, and given the uniqueness (until the series end) of each Red Lotus character, there was no reason to presume that such a skill was normally accessible.

If even the faintest indication had been given that Bolin's talents might lie in lava bending, I might have been okay with this. Instead, it comes out of left field, and people defend it as "logical" because the show made a point out of his inability to bend metal....ignoring the fact that Bolin clearly explained that very, very few people become metal benders in the first place, which was a very sufficient explanation for why he couldn't do it: because metal bending is very rare. So what, because he couldn't bend metal, this alluded to his ability to bend lava? No, that's not how allusions work. You actually have to hint at the possibility of the person having such a rare trait, else it becomes an asspull when they're shown to have it. Even just a single moment in one or two of the fights in which Bolin deflects Ghazan's lava or freezes it over or something like that would have been enough of a hint to justify it. As it's written, Bolin charges into that lava for no reason except a gut feeling, which makes him sound like an even bigger moron than he's portrayed to be.

Point 3:

You JUST said that Bolin learning Lava Bending doesn't give him an edge on Ghazan... yet here you are complaining that Bolin could now go toe to toe with Ghazan. So which is it?

What pray tell is the hard counter a water bender should have for lightning? I'm not sure why it took Mako this look to finally use his lightning but what should be the amazing Deus Ex Water Bending Anti-Lightning Tehcnique?

Well, Ming-Hua isn't exactly fighting at full strength, having been smashed into a wall by a boulder before Mako starts fighting her and not having any water to replenish herself until the end. And, while lightningbending would have been useful earlier, people really need to stop acting like it would have been as effective against Ming-Hua when she wasn't connected to a pool of water and could easily dodge out of the way.

And Ghazan (weren't you just complaining about how bad it was that Bolin couldn't beat him?) lost because suddenly someone else can withstand his attacks instead of dodging out of the way and running away helplessly. Combine Bolin negating his attacks and Mako showing up to provide help and you have a reasonable justification for them doing rather well in the fight.

First: Ming-Hua used a pool of water to fight the two back in the oasis. Mako never thought once to use the lightning against her then, or at any point prior. In fact, Zuko didn't think to try it either back when they were freeing P'li. So yes, if there's no way that a water bender can possibly counter lightning, then every fire bender in the entire length of the series is stupid for not using it every single time they fought a water bender.

Second: Ming-Hua is supposedly an expert water bender. If water benders have a hard counter to lightning, even if you argue that it's likely to be rare, she should be one of the few people who knows what it is.

Third: Water benders have fought fire benders for over a century between the events of Aang and Korra, and you're telling me no one in the water tribes' entire history has come up with a way to reduce or negate what would effectively be a HUGE disadvantage against fire benders? This sounds rather absurdly implausible. Like, major issue with the setting sort of implausible.

Fourth: I take issue with both aspects, and it's not hard to understand why if you put a little thought into it instead of rushing to get defensive. Bolin's lava bending works out to be effectively useless as it gives him no real edge against Ghazan (who is far more experienced) in a one on one fight. But then the setting changes, and it's 2v1 on Ghazan....but instead of using his lava bending during this fight, Bolin resumes using regular earth bending and simply relies on the numbers game to beat Ghazan. This is especially jarring since both of them were clearly no match for either Ming-Hua or Ghazan back in the oasis, and Ghazan is visibly shown wrecking numerous highly-trained metal benders in the metal city. There's no reason for the brothers to win this fight with their normal moves exclusively, as that clearly didn't work the last several times they tried it. If they had instead gone with a route that allowed any of the (clearly mostly healthy) airbenders assisting Mako and Bolin in taking down these two, it would have effectively removed my complaint, since then it actually makes sense for the brothers to beat these two if they're getting help from combatants that Ming-Hua and Ghazan were not prepared to face. It makes much less sense for them to lose to just two people, especially two people they've beat multiple times prior. Get what I'm trying to say now?

Point 4:

Well he must have been a master fighter before being imprisonned you know. Even before they knew that he became an airbender they still locked him up alone, in one of the most secure prison, surrounded by benders of the white lotus. He must have been someone very dangerous even without bending.

He was behind bars for 13 years the only thing that saved him was the fact he became an airbender, something they did not expected.

And without Gazan and Ming Hua arrival Tenzin would have kicked his ass. He may have been able to unlock the final power of airbending but Tenzin techniques are far more refined than his. He was winning the one on one fight.

Except it's not just reading. Zaheer was deadly before he learned how to Airbend. There's a reason he's introduced in a locked cage in a secluded mountain. Skill from any kind of Martial Art is going to carry over to others. A guy who has patterned his life after the Airbending Masters, who is a skilled Martial Artist (dangerous enough to be given a special prison), who has read up on probably anything and everything pertaining to Airbending. He barely holds his ground against Tenzin, and only gets the jump on him thanks to P'Li. Then 4 bending experts take him down and beat the crud out of him. THIS is your moment of disbelief?

This showed up in one of the other threads but where are people getting that Zaheer went toe-to-toe with Tenzin? I mean, Zaheer managed to last a while fighting him and managed to run away a lot, but Tenzin mopped the damn floor with him and only lost because P'li shot him and the rest of the Red Lotus showed up. And Zaheer is implied to of done more than just read; he likely practiced the movements and mediated and did everything airbenders do except actually airbend.

I've trained in karate. Apparently this makes me capable of becoming a Jedi Master who can hold his own against Mace Windu or Yoda.

Just because he was a master combatant doesn't mean he'd instantly translate to a master air bender. Even if he practiced the technique prior to becoming one, he'd still need time to practice (which was never shown) and he'd still be well below the skill level of most competent air benders. Knowledge of one martial art can certainly make it easier to learn others, but it won't make you skilled in the technique overnight, and certainly won't make you skilled enough to keep up with or beat experts in that type of martial art.

Also, he was clearly shown holding his own against Tenzin. I don't know how people can argue that he wasn't, given that any other rookie air bender would have already lost the fight long before that. He was losing, yes, that's absolutely true, but the length of time he lasted is indicative of skill that he was never shown to have. This is a common trait of demonstrating skill in real life and in fantasy: if the fighter in question is unable to beat a clearly superior opponent, simply the act of lasting an extended period against said opponent is evidence of significant skill. No, Zaheer would not have beat Tenzin, but he (a rookie) lasted long enough that his allies could come to his aid against a master air bender who had trained all his life. That is a clear demonstration of air bending skill that he really shouldn't have, being as new as he is.

The writers only told us that he was an expert fighter, and we never once saw him really practicing air bending in the show at any point. So we have no way of gauging his skill beyond what they show us in his fights, and what he shows in his fights suggests that he either trained extensively off-screen, or he's just good because the plot demands that he is. Show, don't tell. This is narrative 101.

Point 5:

Seriously? This is your nitpick? "People heal at different rates! SO UNREALISTIC!" Who's to say they haven't been getting water bending healing? They probably have been. And people have always needed to heal naturally in this world. Even after Aang got killed by Azula and brought back to life via magic Deus Ex Machina water it took him weeks to get to the point where he could just stay awake. Healing has never been "Harry Potter Bone Mending" levels of effective. It's always been a way to help them heal, it isn't a complete rejuvenation process.

When has healing ever been shown to heal broken bones or fix poison? It's been shown to heal burns, cuts, and bruises, and help with soreness. It only brought people back from the dead when it was magic spirit water being used to heal a wound. To explain Kya's crutch, maybe she broke a bone when she took that fall while Bumi managed to stay relatively unharmed, and Tenzin likely just got beat up until he lost consciousness. I'd personally imagine that Katara was one of the first people they contacted to try and heal Korra before being told it was no use and that they didn't need to explicitly show this happening for me to believe everyone didn't suddenly forget about healing, but then, I'm not trying to find something to complain about and need to be explicitly shown everything.

Incorrect.

Healing has been shown to work on: burns (Katara's hands), cuts and lacerations (many times), broken bones (Sokka's arm was healed in this way once), disease and pollution (the polluted village of Jang Hui), and severe physical damage to tissue (such as Aang's chest wound). In the last of those cases, he was even essentially brought back from the verge of death.

The only clear limits to healing established in the past are in the cases of:

a) Whatever Yue was born with
    b) Severe internal damage (specifically, Jet's case)
    c) If the patient's chi flow is blocked
    d) Lost bending

Here's a reference: http://avatar.wikia.com/wiki/Healing

You don't get to establish a very clear Deus Ex sort of healing method and then not use it on your main characters, especially when they're all either children or friends of the greatest healer in the world. It makes no sense for the lot of them not to be in tip-top shape physically, even if you argue that Korra herself has suffered severe psychological trauma. I'm sorry that you don't remember healing being used in this way, but it was, and that means there's really no excuses for why it hasn't been used here.

Point 6:

You do know that almost every single main character Water Bender is shown using the "Water Arm" technique at some point throughout both Legend of Korra and Legend of Aang. Katara uses it, Aang uses it, Korra uses it, Tonraq uses it, pretty sure the twins use it, Kya has used it. This isn't some technique that Ming-Hua developed, it's just one that she uses better then anyone else because she has no arms and depends on it.

There's nothing special about Ming-Hua's water arms by themselves. It's just a way to use it that she uses almost exclusively. The special part of her is her ability to waterbend without arms (due to waterbending seeming to have a lot of arm movements involved) and being so good at it as to pretty much use water as extra limbs. Bolin develops lavabending, but that doesn't put him on the level of Ghazan who can destroy an entire mountain, or bring down the Wall of Ba-Sing-Se, or collapse the cave, but that's still lavabending so I'll give it to you.

And I never considered the special thing about Zaheer being that he could fly (though that's certainly something), but that he was an airbender who didn't have any of that pacifism or evasion mentality built in. He uses airbending as a hard force to beat people with and sucks the life out of people, something vastly different from the way we're used to seeing it.

So you've got an iffy 1/4, and you're pretending you have a 3/4 because someone used water as an arm like they've done multiple times before and you made a baseless prediction. Clearly all these characters were ruined.

First: As the second poster points out (perhaps to his/her own detriment), Ming-Hua's arms are unique primarily because she doesn't have any of her own, yet she has the same level of skill and fluidity of a master water bender. I'll certainly grant that her particular "skill" of using water arms is not unique in itself, but the manner in which she uses them (as well as the scale at which she can use them) makes it very unique indeed. Or apparently not, as we clearly see people using it.

Second: Lava bending is lava bending, regardless of skill level. It's supposedly exceedingly rare if Ghazan is the ONLY recorded user in the world's history, prior to Bolin. My point stands.

Third: Zaheer is now the second person in the entire world's history with the ability of flight, and people weren't even sure they believed the first one was anything more than a myth. This is a clearly different skill. And while you're certainty welcome to mock me for saying it now (as you are), I will not be the least bit shocked if someone can use it by the end of Season 4.

Fourth: These characters' techniques were part of what made them the characters they are (in fact, since we rarely see them or hear them speak, one could argue that their techniques almost ARE their characters almost exclusively). Their abilities were supposedly super-rare and merited special unique prisons exclusively built for them. Yet, by season's end, only two of them actually retain their abilities as unique to them exclusively, and I strongly suspect that by the end of Season 4, that'll be cut down to one.

So given that they no longer have unique skills, what else makes them unique? Well, nothing. They're basically just generic faceless bad guys. Other villains had traits relatively unique to them in addition to strongly outlined characters that laid out who they were. So when Korra and Prince Iroh started jetting around with fire bending, no one complained because the first user of this skill (Fire Lord Ozai) already had a character beyond just his moveset, and a base on which to rest. What do the Red Lotus have? Zaheer's somewhat unique arguably, certainly, because of his intense spiritual connections despite being "teh evulz". But the other three? There's....not much to them. Which makes them essentially forgettable once their moves are no longer exclusive to them.

Call it a nitpick all you like, but years from now, characters like Ozai will be more strongly remembered than characters like Ghazan, primarily because of this lack of adequate characterization and generalization of their unique moveset. Hell, I fully admit that in order to write this post, I had to look up the names of Zaheer's cohort just to respond adequately, and the season only just ended. That speaks volumes about how forgettable it'll be years from now.

Even though I generally seemed to like the Korra show more than most Avatar fans, this third Book has been an absolute joy throughout. The action, the drama, the character interactions, all of it has been top-notch, even by this franchise's standards. The themes and maturity are a welcome thing for younger audiences. After all, I've always held that the gratest cartoons of my generation were the darkest ones, and now it seems that the newer kids on the block have something just as good to call their own, which is an absolute win in my book.

Korra especially has been great to watch over the course of these past few years. We've seen her develop from an overly-eager young Avatar, to a more serious-minded one, and now finally to one who questions whether the world even needs someone like her around anymore. She's been through Hell and back and I would, hand on heart, easily call her one of, if not THE, greatest animated female characters that has ever been created.

If Nickelodeon Studios is too cowardly to let this show return to TV because they're afraid of having such serious stuff shown to kids, then frankly, they don't deserve to have it. With any luck, they'll pass over to a studio that respects this show's creators and writers far more than the Execs at Nick ever did, and give them the free reign they need to keep making this show better.

For it WILL get better, I have no doubt of that. With the way they ended this Book, and a fourth already in production, I predict that this show will carry on to take it's place as one of the true greats of animation.

CriticKitten:
Ergo, the use of a metallic poison was stupid, because it physically separated the poisonous components from her bodily fluids, making it easy to draw out. Had it been a normal liquid, they couldn't have water bended it out without also water bending actual bodily fluids out of her too, making it way more dangerous to treat, and they'd never have gotten her to Katara for healing in time either.

And you've failed to answer why they should expect a metalbender to show up, or why that should even matter. They have no reason to believe some kid that was shot out of the sky survived and managed to follow them to their secret hideout in the mountains. Nor do they have any reason to believe that anyone knew the poison was metallic since they had no way of knowing Jinora would project her spirit and watch. And that's all ignoring the fact they were going to execute her the moment she went into the Avatar State. It doesn't matter that metalbenders might be able to save her because they can't save someone who's been stabbed with ice and thrown into lava.

Nor have you answered why the poison used could possibly be the one most practical for their needs. You say there are other poisons in our world that might have worked just as well, but that means nothing for fantasyland.

Actually it's still a complete asspull. Yes, they showed that Bolin couldn't bend metal. But they gave no hints whatsoever that he could bend lava. Ghazan was the first character we've seen with this skill, and given the uniqueness (until the series end) of each Red Lotus character, there was no reason to presume that such a skill was normally accessible.

Avatar Kyoshi was able to lavabend previously, and Toph could figure out fucking metalbending without even knowing it was possible. Bolin at least knew it was possible to do and had an example to emulate, so him being able to do so in a life or death moment seems a lot less asspully than some of the other shit you probably don't have a problem with.

First: Ming-Hua used a pool of water to fight the two back in the oasis. Mako never thought once to use the lightning against her then, or at any point prior. In fact, Zuko didn't think to try it either back when they were freeing P'li. So yes, if there's no way that a water bender can possibly counter lightning, then every fire bender in the entire length of the series is stupid for not using it every single time they fought a water bender.

You're not remembering things correctly. Ming-Hua did not use a pool of water to fight the two back at the oasis. She used her arms to smash Mako into a door while Ghazan drove Bolin into the pool where Ming-Hua pulled him out. And Mako not using at any previous times might be up to the nature of lightningbending or simply be that he doesn't actually want to kill people, which is exactly what lightningbending is good at. And Zuko's never been shown capable of lightningbending, nor has every firebender. It's supposed to be a semi-rare skill so you might as well complain that not ever earthbender is a metalbender.

Second: Ming-Hua is supposedly an expert water bender. If water benders have a hard counter to lightning, even if you argue that it's likely to be rare, she should be one of the few people who knows what it is.

The problem is that there probably isn't a hard counter to lightning available to waterbenders. I mean, can you think of one?

Third: Water benders have fought fire benders for over a century between the events of Aang and Korra, and you're telling me no one in the water tribes' entire history has come up with a way to reduce or negate what would effectively be a HUGE disadvantage against fire benders? This sounds rather absurdly implausible. Like, major issue with the setting sort of implausible.

You're telling me that waterbenders must have some countermeasure to lightningbending because of the Hundred Years War? Even though lightningbending is supposed to be incredibly rare to the point that most people fighting in the war would have never seen it? Even though there might not actually be a counter to it?

Fourth: I take issue with both aspects, and it's not hard to understand why if you put a little thought into it instead of rushing to get defensive. Bolin's lava bending works out to be effectively useless as it gives him no real edge against Ghazan (who is far more experienced) in a one on one fight. But then the setting changes, and it's 2v1 on Ghazan....but instead of using his lava bending during this fight, Bolin resumes using regular earth bending and simply relies on the numbers game to beat Ghazan. This is especially jarring since both of them were clearly no match for either Ming-Hua or Ghazan back in the oasis, and Ghazan is visibly shown wrecking numerous highly-trained metal benders in the metal city. There's no reason for the brothers to win this fight with their normal moves exclusively, as that clearly didn't work the last several times they tried it. If they had instead gone with a route that allowed any of the (clearly mostly healthy) airbenders assisting Mako and Bolin in taking down these two, it would have effectively removed my complaint, since then it actually makes sense for the brothers to beat these two if they're getting help from combatants that Ming-Hua and Ghazan were not prepared to face. It makes much less sense for them to lose to just two people, especially two people they've beat multiple times prior. Get what I'm trying to say now?

Bolin's lavabending works out to allow him to fucking survive fighting Ghazan. Since you apparently misremember lots of things about the show, the last time the two of them fought Bolin pretty much just ran away because earthbending at Ghazan was just giving him ammo. With lavabending, he's able to actually put up a fight. That's the edge he got from lavabending, but that does not mean he should suddenly trounce Ghazan because that'd be fucking dumb.

And the brothers are opponents the two weren't expecting to face. Do you think Ming-Hua expected Mako to be a lightningbender? Do you think Ghazan expected to ever fight another lavabender?

I've trained in karate. Apparently this makes me capable of becoming a Jedi Master who can hold his own against Mace Windu or Yoda.

Did you study everything possible about being a Jedi? Did you practice all the movements, the philosophy all the techniques, everything except the use of the Force? No? Than stop trying to misrepresent what actually happened because you want something to complain about.

Just because he was a master combatant doesn't mean he'd instantly translate to a master air bender. Even if he practiced the technique prior to becoming one, he'd still need time to practice (which was never shown) and he'd still be well below the skill level of most competent air benders. Knowledge of one martial art can certainly make it easier to learn others, but it won't make you skilled in the technique overnight, and certainly won't make you skilled enough to keep up with or beat experts in that type of martial art.

Weeks in solitary confinement seems like it'd give you some time to practice. And then there's all his on-the-job training of freeing his friends, fighting Tonraq, fighting Kya, and every other use of airbending he's ever shown using. And you keep forgetting that he studied airbending. He knew the techniques of airbending. He had knowledge of airbending.

Also, he was clearly shown holding his own against Tenzin. I don't know how people can argue that he wasn't, given that any other rookie air bender would have already lost the fight long before that. He was losing, yes, that's absolutely true, but the length of time he lasted is indicative of skill that he was never shown to have. This is a common trait of demonstrating skill in real life and in fantasy: if the fighter in question is unable to beat a clearly superior opponent, simply the act of lasting an extended period against said opponent is evidence of significant skill. No, Zaheer would not have beat Tenzin, but he (a rookie) lasted long enough that his allies could come to his aid against a master air bender who had trained all his life. That is a clear demonstration of air bending skill that he really shouldn't have, being as new as he is.

How is running away constantly and being seconds away from defeat "holding his own"? He lasted that long because, say it with me, he kept running away until he couldn't anymore. And he's not some rookie airbender. He's a master martial artist using airbending to supplement his previous skillset. There's a reason he fights a lot differently than every other airbender, and it's because he's simply applying superpowers to his combat skills. Him lasting that long is a demonstration of his skills, period.

The writers only told us that he was an expert fighter, and we never once saw him really practicing air bending in the show at any point. So we have no way of gauging his skill beyond what they show us in his fights, and what he shows in his fights suggests that he either trained extensively off-screen, or he's just good because the plot demands that he is. Show, don't tell. This is narrative 101.

Well he was trapped in a solitary confinement for weeks after getting airbending. Did you just assume he sat around doing nothing because the writers didn't treat you like a gibbering moron and tell you he spent that time practicing?

Incorrect.

Healing has been shown to work on: burns (Katara's hands), cuts and lacerations (many times), broken bones (Sokka's arm was healed in this way once), disease and pollution (the polluted village of Jang Hui), and severe physical damage to tissue (such as Aang's chest wound). In the last of those cases, he was even essentially brought back from the verge of death.

When was Sokka's broken arm--his completely broken arm--healed in this way?

The only clear limits to healing established in the past are in the cases of:

a) Whatever Yue was born with
    b) Severe internal damage (specifically, Jet's case)
    c) If the patient's chi flow is blocked
    d) Lost bending

Here's a reference: http://avatar.wikia.com/wiki/Healing[/quote]
So... no proof of poison being fixable? No proof that you're completely healed and will never need a crutch no matter how bad the injury? If anything, this just seems like a reason to hate on the original series for making up such a bullshitty, all-encompassing fixer of things. Fuck, retconning something as dumb as that seems like a good thing that.

First: As the second poster points out (perhaps to his/her own detriment), Ming-Hua's arms are unique primarily because she doesn't have any of her own, yet she has the same level of skill and fluidity of a master water bender. I'll certainly grant that her particular "skill" of using water arms is not unique in itself, but the manner in which she uses them (as well as the scale at which she can use them) makes it very unique indeed. Or apparently not, as we clearly see people using it.

No, we don't. We don't see anyone else without arms making water arms. We see people using a standard waterbending technique that Ming-Hua is able to simply use better despite not having arms of her own. That's what's special about her. Water arms are not special, and they never were.

Second: Lava bending is lava bending, regardless of skill level. It's supposedly exceedingly rare if Ghazan is the ONLY recorded user in the world's history, prior to Bolin. My point stands.

Again, Kyoshi lavabent,

Third: Zaheer is now the second person in the entire world's history with the ability of flight, and people weren't even sure they believed the first one was anything more than a myth. This is a clearly different skill. And while you're certainty welcome to mock me for saying it now (as you are), I will not be the least bit shocked if someone can use it by the end of Season 4.

Oh don't worry, I will mock you for taking grievance with a thing that hasn't even happened yet, because it's ridiculous and petty.

Fourth: These characters' techniques were part of what made them the characters they are (in fact, since we rarely see them or hear them speak, one could argue that their techniques almost ARE their characters almost exclusively). Their abilities were supposedly super-rare and merited special unique prisons exclusively built for them. Yet, by season's end, only two of them actually retain their abilities as unique to them exclusively, and I strongly suspect that by the end of Season 4, that'll be cut down to one.

The only person who's lost their status as super-unique is Ghazan. No one else has been shown waterbending at such a high level without arms like Ming-Hua. No one else has been shown combustionbending like P'li. And no one else has been shown flying. And if you can't get a sense of their character through the scenes we see of them, you need to pay attention more.

Call it a nitpick all you like, but years from now, characters like Ozai will be more strongly remembered than characters like Ghazan, primarily because of this lack of adequate characterization and generalization of their unique moveset. Hell, I fully admit that in order to write this post, I had to look up the names of Zaheer's cohort just to respond adequately, and the season only just ended. That speaks volumes about how forgettable it'll be years from now.

People might remember Ozai more than Ghazan because Ozai was the complete and utter Big Bad of the entire Last Airbender series. Sorry if one side member of the evil team from one season of the Legend of Korra doesn't measure up to that standard. It's also incredibly easy to describe Ozai because he's a one dimension cartoon villain. And your crappy memory speaks for nothing more than your crappy memory and apathy towards the show. Considering you've done nothing but whine about it, I fail to see why you're attention span should be taken as the standard.

CriticKitten:

Have you seen his prison? You don't lock someone like this if he can not kick some major asses without bending.

Prison fully made of metal, 5 guards with at least 3 firebender and 1 earthbender/metalbender. No windows, on the top of a very high rock pillar, accessible only by a retractable bridge. They showed us that he was an enormous threat even without bending and that prison was not made to keep his friend from breaking in, any of the three could have destroyed that from the outside.

That's a lot of ressources used for a simple man, demonstrating that he was taken as seriously as a combustion bender, a lavabender and a waterbender who can use water with only her mind.

In regards to the lightning: I don't know how it works in the Avatar world, but pure water is non-conductive. I always assumed, since we've seen water being pulled out of sand, or having other impurities removed from it, that the water that most waterbenders carry is often distilled or something. Ming-Hua was using cave-water at the end, which is loaded with minerals that would conduct electricity.

This begs two questions. 1: Is that how it works, or does Avatar take the Pokemon route of "Electric beats water"? If so, the best I got is that Mako just never had a good enough opportunity, or it's just one of those things that escapes you in the middle of a fight. 2: Does Mako know all that about water? I might hazard that he doesn't, despite his being around waterbenders at least since his probending days, and likely since the Triads; it's not pertinent information. And besides, maybe I'm wrong about waterbenders distilling their water before usage. That's probably unnecessarily time-consuming or impractical.

But water not being inherently conductive (just being a good medium for plenty of conductive materials) is something I always want to remind everyone in these situations.

CriticKitten:
It's interesting that you claim I have the crappy memory when I seem to recall more about the lore of the show and how things work than you do.

Except you constantly forget that Mako worked at creating 'power' for the city with his lightning during season 1. (Oh, and Amon felt it too)

Also, nice way to close an arguement.

vipLink:

Mike Hoffman:

He was actually shown to shoot lightning and even working at a power plant in earlier seasons.

CriticKitten:
[quote]I'm not gonna repost all of that for a quote, because that has to be some form of spamming, so I'll just number and separate everything. Also these are just my thoughts.

1. Red Lotus being followed and the poison:
I think it was understandable for the Red Lotus to know they would be followed, what they didn't expect was to be found so quickly. They were probably prepared for some kind of martyr move once Korra died or prepared to disappear if it all went right. I'm sure Zaheer knew he would be found, especially in such a standout location, but he didn't expect it to happen so soon. As for the poison, keep in mind that this era is roughly set in the 1920's, this never came up in history class, but I'm not sure the world had a great understanding of toxic materials other than "if it feels weird, don't touch it" or a highly comprehensive list of poisons and its effects. Mercury has been known to be poisonous, psychedelic, and pretty ravaging, an effective Avatar's bane. If they used that then Korra should have died no sweat. Plus, I'm not sure the Red Lotus had a proper grasp on how powerful Lin and Suyin were as metalbenders, while you can say they were trained by Toph, all that says is they're powerful, it doesn't provide a measure of their strength. They probably thought Suyin wasn't powerful to extract the poison, that and he didn't find out on them finding hat kind of poison was used on Korra. If they just knew Korra was poisoned, they would have used waterbending which would have done nothing. Still don't know how Jinora knew, I missed that part.

2. Bolin Lavabending
Here's my opinion on that moment: I don't think Bolin was even trying to lavabend, I think he was just trying to buy time. His brother, best friend, and sorta-father were all on the edge about to die, literally. Either Bolin was trying to mimic Ghazan and lavabend, or Bolin was just using a standard move in his own style that he thought would save his friends, even if it meant his life. It's been brought up at multiple points in the series that the element you bend is more linked to your persona than your nation. Bolin's style is pretty much the exact opposite of Toph's, it's fluid, it's about being fleet footed. Bolin developed this style for pro-bending, where standing still is signing up to lose. So Bolin adhered to a fluid earthbending style, who knows where he learned it, but he somehow accidentally made the moves that allow lavabending. Plus metalbending was a myth when Toph was alive, she discovered it by thrashing around in a panic to escape. It was probably easier for Bolin to try something that he saw could be done then Toph learning metalbending on a fluke.

Y'know what I was actually prepared to write an argument on the rest of those points, but then I thought about it, and then Adventure Time came on. These are the two points are really care about, I'm utterly shameless in admitting that Bolin is my favorite character.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here